Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

christ

if they follow through with that it means jccjr shouldn't be too worried about that agreement where he gives up one mil for each pound overweight he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah for real. May as well just weigh in a 170 and pay the six million or whatever, to win forty.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I might be the only person in the world watching this Breazeale - Ugonoh fight but it's pretty good; two big (bad) heavies swinging at each other like flyweights

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Lionel Richie posted:

I might be the only person in the world watching this Breazeale - Ugonoh fight but it's pretty good; two big (bad) heavies swinging at each other like flyweights

It's pretty awesome. Mid-tier heavyweights when they get a bug in their rear end is like watching an evolved version of toughman fights in a dive bar.

Sick finish

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

That was a lot of fun to watch!

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
That fight was awesome

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hm, can't catch the fights tonight but the breazeale match sounded pretty good. I used to hate Breazeale, but he's kind of won me over a bit lately. Like, he's not good, at all, but he's clearly got a lot of heart.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That was good too. I don't know why I'm staying awake for this Typical Wilder Walkover fight but it's turned out better than expected

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Wilder's right seems to have healed fine.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder looked pretty terrible in my opinion. Slow, lethargic, very inactive, and let Washington mostly outjab him throughout the fight. Maybe it was ring rust/inactivity, but if he shows up looking like that against Anthony Joshua, or even Joseph Parker, he probably gets sparked out.

Hopefully Wilder/Parker happens next. Wilder has had precious few relevant fights, and Gerald Washington was another light touch.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jigglesby posted:

Wilder's right seems to have healed fine.

Ayyyy I disagree bretheren

He might have thrown 15 rights Total before the knockout combination. He wasn't even feinting with it, which is insane, he's Deontay Wilder and it's his right hand, which tells me that the bicep isn't healed yet and Heymon offered him a bonus to not mess up their primtime fight schedule.

He was saving all of his power in his right for one flurry because it was not healed and did not feel good.

You could blame it on overcautiousness if he fought like that for the first two rounds, but, it's clear he was babying something, either his hand or his bicep and wasn't going to risk them until he absolutely needed to. It was 98% a 2 armed fighter against a 1 armed fighter

The Hurd Henderson fight was really good. I love Henderson's skill, they shouldn't have stopped it. Henderson should consider moving down a weight division.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Oh.....baby.

https://twitter.com/mannypacquiao/status/835688422299721728

https://twitter.com/amirkingkhan/status/835690720476315648

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/18768463/manny-pacquiao-tweets-fight-amir-khan-april

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

As far as fights for both guys go I actually want to see this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
amir khan getting knocked out is always fun

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Jose posted:

amir khan getting knocked out is always fun

And seeing Manny Pacquiao knock people out is also fun (especially since he hasn't done it in forever)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man, I can't believe Khan reached his expiration date before Pac

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i desperately want to see Brook knock khan the gently caress out

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I just saw an advert for David Haye vs Tony Bellew for Saturday March 4th.

It will be what, 10 months since Haye's last fight (if you can even call it that, it was against some georgian nobody that could barely throw a punch) and yet somehow I kinda want to watch it.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
I strongly feel that Khan will outbox Pac for ~4 rounds and make him look bad. Then he'll get chin-checked and put on wobbly legs, while he tries to survive and outpoint Pac for the rest of the fight.

AKA every fight where Khan stepped up in competition.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Khan is a fast starter, does great in the first few rounds, but he's surprisingly one note if you can adjust to his speed. I don't even think his chin is horrible, he just relies on his speed for defence and against higher level competition that's not enough.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Man, I can't believe Khan reached his expiration date before Pac

Who knows, really? They're both compromised at this point. Manny is a 38 year old speed reliant fighter with almost 70 pro fights under his belt and who hasn't had a KO in 8 years. Khan has at least looked keener to follow smarter game plans since he hooked up with Virgil Hunter, and he still has his speed, only being 30 years old. He's bigger, faster, and younger than Pacquiao, and if Khan does lose by KO, it would be a pretty strong indicator that he's completely shot at an elite level.

On paper, Khan should by all rights win this fight. But he's a bit of a mess, mentally, and he's been known to fight very stupidly. It's a pick 'em fight in my eyes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'd buy your talk on Pac if he didn't look great against both Bradley and Vargas last year, who are about the same level as Khan. He knocked them down too. I don't really see the sourness on Pac right now.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'd buy your talk on Pac if he didn't look great against both Bradley and Vargas last year, who are about the same level as Khan. He knocked them down too. I don't really see the sourness on Pac right now.

I'm more focused on Pacquiao's lack of knockouts. If he can't knock Khan out, can he outpoint a bigger, faster, younger fighter with elite skills over 12 rounds? Khan has more physical talent than either Bradley or Vargas. Everyone that Khan has lost to has either knocked him out or been bigger than him, or both.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Knockdowns are still pretty helpful to decision victories. I can see your angle, but I don't think pacquiao is depending on a ko here. As you yourself said, he's not had a ko in a long time, he knows how to get decision.

On Khan's side, I think you see some pretty consistent difficulty when he steps up in competition. Like, his best win is arguably Maidana and that was 7 years ago. Other than that, Devon Alexander?

I think even a faded Pac is better competition than that.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Why do I get so hyped for these Wolf tickets?!?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nCBN7aiW3U

"ALL OF THESE loving RETARDS KNOW IT AS WELL"

ahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0MvDqSG_-Q

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

haha david haye is good again

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

thehappyprince posted:

haha david haye is good again

He only needs to be passable to get past Bellew

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The most significant welterweight fight since Maypac is this Saturday and you limeys are wasting keystrokes on David Haye fighting a blown up super middleweight. Smh. Smdh.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
wanna get some people's thoughts on garcia / thurman.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a good match. They're both sort of Boxer-Puncher types, with Thurman being more aggressive and Garcia being more of counter puncher. Garcia is somewhat underrated, since he sort of fights to his level of opposition and has been in some close fights. Thurman is bigger and stronger (although Danny's no look hook is no joke) so he's the favourite and I think he'll take it by decision.

There's something about Garcia though, he always pulls out a win, so I can't overlook that. I've got a weird feeling about it, that he's somehow gonna take it. It's almost a picket fight for me.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I have a feeling it will be close decision that Thurman wins based on activity and Angel Garcia will make the biggest rear end on himself ever and cause CBS to get 2004 Super Bowl halftime show level fined.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i'm going for thurman on points. i think his power is overrated but his boxing is underrated. garcia does seem to have that thing about him where he always finds some way to win tho so maybe don't put the full £1.50 on it

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Lucas Matthysse is going to be returning on the undercard of Canelo/Chavez against Emmanuel Taylor.

Please don't be cooked :ohdear:

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think he probably is cooked at this point sadly.

I'll take Garcia. I do agree he maybe fights down to opponents a little bit, but I also like his resume a little more. Porter was a good win for Thurman, but beyond that I prefer Garcia's. Probably a close fight either way.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

Lucas Matthysse is going to be returning on the undercard of Canelo/Chavez against Emmanuel Taylor.

Please don't be cooked :ohdear:

oh im sure he'll be fighting as long as margarito

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I think Thurman will win in a fairly easy fashion, and the fight will be less competitive than the Porter win. Danny is a good counter puncher, but his feet are slow and I think he will have problems with thurmans power and athleticism. I also think that Danny lost to Herrera and arguably lost to lamont Peterson (and would have definitely lost if the fight had been in the 15-round era). I think Thurman will give Danny the same kind of problems that Peterson did except with a ton more power.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah that's sorta how I feel about the fight. I'm struggling to think of anything Danny has that would give Thurman significant trouble. He's not a pressure-fighter like Porter was and I'm not sure his counterpunching will be that effective either, against a bigger fighter who himself can box effectively.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

mike- posted:

I think Thurman will win in a fairly easy fashion, and the fight will be less competitive than the Porter win. Danny is a good counter puncher, but his feet are slow and I think he will have problems with thurmans power and athleticism. I also think that Danny lost to Herrera and arguably lost to lamont Peterson (and would have definitely lost if the fight had been in the 15-round era). I think Thurman will give Danny the same kind of problems that Peterson did except with a ton more power.

Part of the reason Peterson lost the Garcia fight was because he drat near gave away the first half of the fight out of sheer inactivity (despite making Danny look like flailing dogshit in the process). I don't see that being a problem with Keith, and he'll also have the blueprint from the Lamont fight.

But since boxing hates me, Danny is probably going to knock him out or something.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Given Thurman can box, I think you will see him come forward and try to engage with Garcia (unlike Herrera or Peterson). I'd argue that suits Garcia fairly well, since he does have good boxing ability, and would rather be able to counter.

I don't think it is a Porter style fight where either guy tries to make rough and physical, but I also don't see Thurman being on a bike and making Garcia look slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thurman's not a dumbass though, so while I think he'll push the action, I don't think he's going to be overextending himself into counters all night.

Side note, I think you're using "box" differently than most people would.