Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

weak wrists big dick posted:

Are there any good single board PC's with a decent handheld case, full qwerty keypad (numpad is a plus, FN key number is essential at minimum) that can run Cataclysm pretty well? This is 100% a dumb idea that I'm not quite sure I even care enough to implement yet btw

You could probably hack something together from a Raspberry Pi if you have access to a 3D printer and the knowhow. Otherwise pickings are pretty slim. On the high end you have stuff like the GPD Win which is a handheld Windows 10 PC with good specs and on the low end you have something like Pocket CHIP which is fugly as hell but might get the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
jesus christ I turned into Darth Maul while I struggle to learn to cook pasta

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Switzerland posted:

Does anyone know what those weird houses are that are filled with giant wasps and, oddly enough, military stuff? Usually have a hosed-up architecture, too, with some walls being regular, others stone?

coyo7e posted:

Sounds like a Dead Rising reference, imho

Oh, yeah, good call on that, it may well be a Dead Rising reference. The game is chock-full of references to other media, some of it incredibly obscure (and some of it not so much). Of note, the architecture is weird for a reason; those probably LOOK like stone walls in your tileset (they use the same pound sign and a near-identical color in the ASCII sets), but look closely. Those are paper wasps, and they're restructuring the house with paper walls. You can actually bash right through them, and you should where you safely can, since sometimes items are hidden under or behind them. Just try not to be standing indoors if you're knocking out a load-bearing wall, but that's rarely the case for the paper ones.

Also, spider basements are quite rare and that armor is an EXTREMELY good find.

Also also the suggestion with the knife is primarily for the sake of crafting (for which it is very useful to have a knife). When you're trying to just straight-up break things, be it smashing furniture with a rock or trying to sledgehammer down a wall, the game almost exclusively uses bashing damage to make that calculation, unless you're in a vehicle which involves more physics calculations. It can be useful in the early-to-mid game for a very strong character to keep a high-damage bashing weapon around even if its unwieldy, since you can use it to break through walls and obstacles.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

coyo7e posted:

However is there a good way to gauge what size the screen will be when I adjust the X and Y res variables? I had to find and delete my options.json or whatever file because I notched the rez up too high and the top of the window was off-screen and I couldn't figure out any Windows key combos to move or resize the window.

No not really but 238x62 fills all of a 1920x1080 monitor except the Win7 taskbar.

E: The other option is trial and error, can't resize the window through normal Windows means.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The houses with giant wasps are literally just wasp nests, just like the spider nests. Rhe architecture sounds like a bug though some houses have different wall types.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

nftyw posted:

The hilarious thing with those spider lairs is in one build apparently they have a paralyzingly bite that always works even if the bite did zero damage so they basically stunlock me to starvation because eventually my katana breaks from parrying their hits but they still can't damage me or my armor so I'm stuck there forever getting hit for no damage.

This sounds exactly like a bug from about 6 months ago, except with fencing. Rats could attack you and trigger your parry response, and if you were low enough stamina you'd be locked into parrying for 60-120? seconds (it's been a while, IDK how many actual turns that was), then the game would crash.

E:

Telsa Cola posted:

The houses with giant wasps are literally just wasp nests, just like the spider nests. Rhe architecture sounds like a bug though some houses have different wall types.

Wasp houses use (one or random?) house blueprints, then splat a bunch of honeycomb tiles over the top, which can be cool because they can replace real walls, and honeycombs are trivial to smash down. This is cool and good because sometimes the zombies aggro all the wasps out front at which point you break down a honeycomb tile in back and grab the sweet sweet loot inside.

E2: Protip on knives: Any that are volume 0.25L can be sheathed in a boot by (a)ctivating the boot. You can also sheath a screwdriver in your other boot. Add a tool belt-sheathed (real) hammer, and you can cut/butcher and disassemble furniture with your equipment and not inventory.

E2.1 (holy poo poo): Multitool is one of the best items in the game because it's a screwdriver, a metal saw, a bunch of other poo poo I forget, and it can be sheathed in a boot.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 26, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also, spider basements are quite rare

I was going to post a thing after you said this about how it being rare doesn't mean that the Emergency Shelter you start in won't have a spider basement- which reminded me of my first encounter with such a thing, in the basement of my starting E-Shelter.

After discovering that it was, in fact, spider hell down there, I panicked and used the lighter I started with to set some webs on fire in an attempt to buy myself time to get out. Smoke got me.

Fun Fact: Your E-Shelter being a raging hell-ferno does not mark it as an unsuitable starting location! Three new characters burning to death within minutes of each other forced me to delete that world.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This seems like the most easymode start ever, but I might be proven wrong.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 26, 2017

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This seems like the most easymode start ever, but I might be proven wrong.

It could go either way, in a LMOE start all the zombies have had about two seasons to evolve. That mansion could be full of evolved zombies, a lot of them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was beginning to think that I should've called my character Marty Stu because he was obviously a survival-prepper power fantasy - I'd found power armor, a light saber, a library and a gun nut's basement - then a mi-go started chattering nearby and promptly tore me in half. I almost killed it. RIP

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
mi-go are no loving joke. i don't ever mess with them until i'm ready to take on a lab.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Mi-go aren't that tough, they just have huge damage resistance to one of the damage types. I think it's cutting damage, you should be able to beat them to death with a big stick in a pinch and they run away once they take enough damage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ram them with the heaviest, fastest vehicle you've got.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got what I thought would be a brilliant start - big gas station full of potato chips near shelter, hotel off in the boonies, a big town full of grocery stores and poo poo, and a suburban neighborhood well away from the city... Found a leather biking suit and motorcycle helmet, but I cannot stop vomiting.. It's been like 3 days and I just puke within an hour or two of eating or drinking anything. HALP!

Also where do I get "Nomex" from? I wanna repair my suit :(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

coyo7e posted:

I got what I thought would be a brilliant start - big gas station full of potato chips near shelter, hotel off in the boonies, a big town full of grocery stores and poo poo, and a suburban neighborhood well away from the city... Found a leather biking suit and motorcycle helmet, but I cannot stop vomiting.. It's been like 3 days and I just puke within an hour or two of eating or drinking anything. HALP!

Did you drink the toilet water without boiling it? Make sure you cook or clean anything you're gonna eat.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
how many points of cooking does it take to boil water? argh

I can't even carry water in a pot from the toilet to the kitchen :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 26, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but you need something to boil it in (e.g. a tin can) and a container for the finished clean water (e.g. a bottle)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

coyo7e posted:

how many points of cooking does it take to boil water? argh

You need to be near a heat source and have something with the boiling quality, like a pot or even a tin can in a pinch. Start a small fire with a lighter and cook on that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

but you need something to boil it in (e.g. a tin can) and a container for the finished clean water (e.g. a bottle)
oh poo poo I can use tuna cans and stuff? game changer

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
okay wow, this is tougher than I expected.. I started a fire in a stove, I have some bottles of water and some copper pots.. How do I pour water into the pots and put it on the fire before the house burns down? :laugh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you've been bitten on the right arm. rip.

you need antibiotics, you probably ain't gonna sleep this one off. look for pharmacies

but to cook the clean water you don't need to use the pots at all, just have them nearby. open up the crafting menu (%, i think), go to "food", and cook clean water from there

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
can't I go rick grimes and perform a Hatchetation?! :saddowns:

ninjaedit: there's a vet clinic across the map godspeed little mang - my fever may've broke because my str went up from 3 to 6.. My @ is at the house in the forest down south

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 26, 2017

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

coyo7e posted:

okay wow, this is tougher than I expected.. I started a fire in a stove, I have some bottles of water and some copper pots.. How do I pour water into the pots and put it on the fire before the house burns down? :laugh:

Oh wow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
goddamn, taking two bottles of water to a stove in an abandoned pizza shack and figuring out how to use an empty beercan to boil them and then not burn myself drinking the boiling water, was one of the most complicated things I've done yet.

now I won't keep drinking from toilets and puking all over myself. :3:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you don't have a pizza kitchen wood stove handy, you can also make your own safe fire spot by making a brazier. Braziers are super easy (level 1 fabrication I think) recipes that require anything with level 2 hammering quality (a stone hammer will work) and a sheet metal. Sheet metal is quite common just lying around, and can also be obtained by deconstructing kitchen appliances.

Once you've crafted the brazier, apply it, and it'll ask you where you want to set it up. Once you've done that it becomes a fixed furniture item that doesn't allow fire to spread outside of it, so you can drop wood chippings, logs, two-by-fours, paper wrappers, whatever you want to burn, and light it with your lighter or matchbook to get a safe fire to cook with.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The latest experimental lets you gather withered plants by smashing shrubbery. Makes it dead convenient to make stone tools.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Cut up firefighter gear. It's also a good source of kevlar and plastic chunks.

If you get a lucky find or a high sewing level, fitted turnout coat + turnout trousers + turnout boots is badass protection against regular zombies and most acid.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wait, don't pizza places have murder animatronics in them? Every time I got close to one, I'd see some kiddy-OP poo poo and reflexively set the whole place on fire.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you've been bitten on the right arm. rip.

you need antibiotics, you probably ain't gonna sleep this one off. look for pharmacies

first aid kits also have antibiotic treatments in them so if you slap a FAK on that arm it'll clear it right up

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wait, don't pizza places have murder animatronics in them? Every time I got close to one, I'd see some kiddy-OP poo poo and reflexively set the whole place on fire.

that's a mod

for what it's worth i literally NEVER boil water until i'm ready to fill up a big tank in my deathcar with clean water so i never have to worry about moisture again. it's really, really not hard to scrounge together enough moisture by chugging sodas, juices, etc until you find a vending machine at a park or gas station that's well stocked, at which point you can either use a cash card or bash it open to get 10+ bottles of clean water.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 28, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Coolguye posted:

that's a mod

Aaah. Never seen a pizza place in vanilla.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There are pizza places and there are abandoned pizzerias (I think thats what they are called). One has a poo poo ton of flour, aprons and other pizza things and the other has OP robots that you cant even disassemble.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah for what it's worth breaking into a normal pizzaria with a hot plate or something is a wonderful way to make yourself not worry about food for like a week

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
FWIW I'm pretty sure (despite what the graphics of the tileset suggest) that a fire in a house' stove is also safe, much like a pizzeria's oven.

For those who are new, pizzeria ovens are handy becuase they both dismantle into something somewhat useful but also because you can grab + drag them around (slowly, noisily) to a base nearby if you have one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Coolguye posted:

first aid kits also have antibiotic treatments in them so if you slap a FAK on that arm it'll clear it right up

does that work when it's at the green and festering stage? i thought they only had antiseptics in - they will clean up blue bite wounds ok, but if you let the infection progress to green then you need actual antibios.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

They work on all wounds, including infected ones.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does that work when it's at the green and festering stage? i thought they only had antiseptics in - they will clean up blue bite wounds ok, but if you let the infection progress to green then you need actual antibios.

yes sir. only way i survive Really Bad Day tbh

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah the only way I've reliably handled Really Bad Day is to set the starting time to shortly after nightfall, start in a military surplus store since those usually have first-aid kits in them, and just grab the kit and book it right away. At night the giant fire that burns down your starting building is actually an advantage, because the constant noise will pull all the zombies away from you as you book it out the door. From there you can just head to the edge of town, break into a few houses at the edge of town and you should be good to hole up for a few days and heal your starting infection and wait out the sickness. You can just wear sheets and blankets if you get too cold and don't find good clothes in those few houses.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

There are pizza places and there are abandoned pizzerias (I think thats what they are called). One has a poo poo ton of flour, aprons and other pizza things and the other has OP robots that you cant even disassemble.

The latter is a FNAF reference somebody coded in because of loving course they did. You can get rid of them by picking No Animatronic Monsters from the mod list while you're generating your world. Probably want to consider the No Joke Monsters pick, too, because the 'joke' reference stuff tends to be stupidly OP.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I just found my first albino penguin basement. I don't get the reference. Other than setting the basement on fire and shooting anything that emerged from the smoky depths, that was pretty intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

queserasera posted:

I just found my first albino penguin basement. I don't get the reference. Other than setting the basement on fire and shooting anything that emerged from the smoky depths, that was pretty intuitive.

I just remember that as a good way to get feathers.