Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, stupid question time: how do I get JEI Buttons to let me switch between adventure and creative? Every time I try to use the buttons Minecraft just tells me that I don't have permission to do that.

Second question: both Forestry and Immersive Engineering have copper ore, but they use different ore blocks. Is there a way to get Minecraft to only use one version for both mods, or does it not matter?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I remember those buttons working at some point in 1.7 but they don't for me on 1.10, I use /gamemode 0/1 to switch in and out of creative but in terms of utility I use the wrench in the bottom left (or maybe top?) to enable item cheat mode in survival because the creative inventory is clunky.

Unidict and and nomorerecipeconflict should fix ore conflicts without much effort

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Second question: both Forestry and Immersive Engineering have copper ore, but they use different ore blocks. Is there a way to get Minecraft to only use one version for both mods, or does it not matter?
Edit the config for one and have it stop generating that ore.

It also doesn't matter. They're completely interchangeable. They just take up more inventory space. If you're in 1.7.x one of the cofh mods (thermal expansion/thermal whatever) has a Forge Lexicon that lets you convert. There are likely other conversion mods and tools for the lazy.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 26, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus. I heard someone say the Blood Magic Thaumcraft wand wasn't worth it before but I didn't realise it'd drain like 500k LP to fill the wand. By contrast, the Botania elementium/dreamwood wand is easily sustained by just having a Band of Aura.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a way to see all burnable items and how much they burn for in NEI 1.7.10?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you put "burn time" into the search bar? idk if it works but that might be worth a try

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you have ProjectE than Aeternalis Fuel is likely your best bet.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a way to see all burnable items and how much they burn for in NEI 1.7.10?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

have you put "burn time" into the search bar? idk if it works but that might be worth a try

Doing this in Project Ozone 2 brings up all the things that have a burn time in their tooltips, so it works there, at least.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, stupid question time: how do I get JEI Buttons to let me switch between adventure and creative? Every time I try to use the buttons Minecraft just tells me that I don't have permission to do that.

Ore Dictionary should let you treat one ore as another.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

frenzy posted:

I remember those buttons working at some point in 1.7 but they don't for me on 1.10, I use /gamemode 0/1 to switch in and out of creative but in terms of utility I use the wrench in the bottom left (or maybe top?) to enable item cheat mode in survival because the creative inventory is clunky.
Neither one of those is working; it keeps telling me I don't have permissions until I opened the map to LAN, so I guess that was the problem?

Khorne posted:

Edit the config for one and have it stop generating that ore.

It also doesn't matter. They're completely interchangeable. They just take up more inventory space. If you're in 1.7.x one of the cofh mods (thermal expansion/thermal whatever) has a Forge Lexicon that lets you convert. There are likely other conversion mods and tools for the lazy.
Thanks!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pi In The Sky posted:

Doing this in Project Ozone 2 brings up all the things that have a burn time in their tooltips, so it works there, at least.

also if you're early game in project ozone 2, turn all your wood into sticks and then into fences, because the recipe is now 12 fences for 6 sticks and it gives you 3600s burn time per 1.5 planks (up from 450)

hell, i might run a tree farm / steam dynamo fence-fuelled operation, purely for the joy of it

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Black Pants posted:

Jesus. I heard someone say the Blood Magic Thaumcraft wand wasn't worth it before but I didn't realise it'd drain like 500k LP to fill the wand. By contrast, the Botania elementium/dreamwood wand is easily sustained by just having a Band of Aura.

The blood magic wand is tolerable if you have
a) chunkloaded a giant altar heavily upgraded with speed and sacrifice runes
b) a well of suffering with some sort of high-throughput mob farm pumping into it
c) an orb, preferably master or higher, sitting in the altar venting blood into the LP network nonstop
d) nothing else you're particularly invested in using that LP for

Even then you're probably better off just making two tainted wands and swapping them into your centivis charger each time you're back at base.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

The blood magic wand is tolerable if you have
a) chunkloaded a giant altar heavily upgraded with speed and sacrifice runes
b) a well of suffering with some sort of high-throughput mob farm pumping into it
c) an orb, preferably master or higher, sitting in the altar venting blood into the LP network nonstop
d) nothing else you're particularly invested in using that LP for

Even then you're probably better off just making two tainted wands and swapping them into your centivis charger each time you're back at base.

Yeah I used it to make a tainted wand, since I have bound armor and some sigils that I'd like to use without them killing me in the process. Also apparently my cursed earth spawnroom doesn't spawn when I'm not in my base despite being chunkloaded, so I don't generate LP when I'm away.

By the way, is there any way to negate/resist Wither damage or can I only take care of that by stocking up on Remedium talismans?

Edit:

VVVVVV
The Blood wand was a test thing to see how well it worked, and to hopefully be a stepping stone that let me get to energizing a node without loving around with running about filling my wand repeatedly in the process. But yeah I'm self-sufficient there too, now.

I'm using a signallum/bloodwood crossbow with thaumium-core, sanguinite bolts as my weapon. 30 hearts of damage, which is pretty poor as TiCon crossbows go but I don't understand how core/cover materials affect the bolt at the best of times and Blightfall seems to change everything to nerf values down. Still useless against Gaia Guardian/Wither.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 26, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm doing pretty well in my Blightfall run with just a bog standard 5 CV node and a small battery of ordo/terra nodes to refill a staff. I am not using the lightning focus at all in this playthrough, though -- ranged combat is being handled by a signalum crossbow with adamantine bolts. (I did make repair moss for it though!) Compared to my first blightfall playthrough where the lightning wand was the only thing I used, it's a major improvement.

I had initially made the staff to clean nodes; the purity focus requires 150 ordo and 100 terra to clean a node. However, now my purity focus is Frugal V, so I don't really even need the staff any more.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black Pants posted:

30 hearts of damage, which is pretty poor as TiCon crossbows go

:eyepop: Apparently I need to look further into these newfangled tinker things. I'm still at the bronze level since I haven't gotten the really good bees online yet.

Yes, I'm touching the bees. Mining got me the metals I needed to fulfill the quests for Cuprum, Stannum, Ferrous, and Plumbum bees, but I only have two industrial apiaries, so I'm breeding my way up through the ranks to complete more quests for apiaries and genetics machines.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dareon posted:

:eyepop: Apparently I need to look further into these newfangled tinker things. I'm still at the bronze level since I haven't gotten the really good bees online yet.

Yes, I'm touching the bees. Mining got me the metals I needed to fulfill the quests for Cuprum, Stannum, Ferrous, and Plumbum bees, but I only have two industrial apiaries, so I'm breeding my way up through the ranks to complete more quests for apiaries and genetics machines.

I have no idea what you're talking about but based on what you're saying I don't think you'll ever be using signallum crossbows with enderium/tartarite/sanguinite bolts in whatever you're playing, which is what creates these numbers. Low-to-mid level TiCon materials will give you a crossbow that takes 5 seconds to draw each bolt and will do a couple of hearts of damage per shot.

Signallum and Enderium are from Thermal Expansion, Tartarite and Sanguinite from Metallurgy 4. Bloodwood is from Natura and Thaumium from Thaumcraft.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 26, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Black Pants posted:

By the way, is there any way to negate/resist Wither damage or can I only take care of that by stocking up on Remedium talismans?

There's another kind of wand - the nether wand I think, that makes you immune to wither stuff. It's in the apocrypha tab, same as the wands we were just talking about.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Black Pants posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about but based on what you're saying I don't think you'll ever be using signallum crossbows with enderium/tartarite/sanguinite bolts in whatever you're playing, which is what creates these numbers. Low-to-mid level TiCon materials will give you a crossbow that takes 5 seconds to draw each bolt and will do a couple of hearts of damage per shot.

Signallum and Enderium are from Thermal Expansion, Tartarite and Sanguinite from Metallurgy 4. Bloodwood is from Natura and Thaumium from Thaumcraft.

Yeah, I've got TE and Thaumcraft, too. It's just the modpack I have focuses on Forestry, Extra Bees, and Magic Bees, providing bees that will automatically generate resources. I have copper, tin, iron, and lead right now just from the quest system and I'm working on breeding my way to the higher-tier materials.

Sorry for talking like you knew what I'd be saying, that was mostly an aside to the folks who replied to me earlier who were incredibly negative on bees.

e: Is it a problem if my smeltery isn't lit up on the inside?

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 26, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How do Psi and Ars Magica 2 compare? I like the idea of being able to make my own spells, but how are they in terms of ease of use or range of available effects?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dareon posted:

Yeah, I've got TE and Thaumcraft, too. It's just the modpack I have focuses on Forestry, Extra Bees, and Magic Bees, providing bees that will automatically generate resources. I have copper, tin, iron, and lead right now just from the quest system and I'm working on breeding my way to the higher-tier materials.

Sorry for talking like you knew what I'd be saying, that was mostly an aside to the folks who replied to me earlier who were incredibly negative on bees.

e: Is it a problem if my smeltery isn't lit up on the inside?

Oh, sorry. I thought it sounded like some sort of Gregtech or TFC pack you were playing now. That's fair enough. Then yeah, enderium/enderium bolts are in your future.

And no that's not a problem. I don't think I've ever had mobs spawn in a smeltery, and even if they did that'd be positive because melting mobs in a smeltery produces blood that mixes with certain other things makes two extremely good alloys, Fairy and Pokefennium.

Also, reading through the old old Blightfall thread, I'm a bit confused that I've never seen anyone else mention how piss-easy making Ethereal Blooms with Blood Magic is, unless basically nobody ever managed to reach the point of playing with alchemy in BM (it's 4 Silverwood leaf blocks and a diamond. That's it.) Also, Sanguine Armor > Thaumium Fortress Armor. Not as good as the Void robes set though.

I may be slightly insane for bothering with Blood Magic again though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 26, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

How do Psi and Ars Magica 2 compare? I like the idea of being able to make my own spells, but how are they in terms of ease of use or range of available effects?

Psi you can have almost everything unlocked from the get-go with the only constraint being doing the mini games and how well you program or copy-paste programs and the resources required.
It has ALOT more toys and use in it than Ars Magica 2.

Ars Magica 2 is two or three orders of mangitude more grindy as you have to kill stuff and cast spells to gain levels to cast more spells to unlock more stuff, and requires significantly more resources and mining, but is significantly more combat oriented.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Psi is a truckload more complicated and difficult to use than AM2. It has more versatility but honestly I never really found many of the effects it was capable of that useful in regular play, and even with endgame equipment the capacity for power felt very low.
AM2's main drawback is that its progression is based around leveling for some awful reason and that ends up being grindy, but the effects end up being stuff I actually used.
For range of available effects, Psi wins, though for a lot of its effects I was trying to figure out where I'd use it in any practical sense. For ease of use, AM2 wins, but its progression is dumb.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Psi is a truckload more complicated and difficult to use than AM2. It has more versatility but honestly I never really found many of the effects it was capable of that useful in regular play, and even with endgame equipment the capacity for power felt very low.
AM2's main drawback is that its progression is based around leveling for some awful reason and that ends up being grindy, but the effects end up being stuff I actually used.
For range of available effects, Psi wins, though for a lot of its effects I was trying to figure out where I'd use it in any practical sense. For ease of use, AM2 wins, but its progression is dumb.

I found that making a dig spell and light spell and using them exclusively instead of torches and tools levels AM2 really fast, at the expense of having to stop for mana regen with decreasing frequency in the beginning. A standard mining trip or clearing out space for underground rooms is pretty much all you need to get to like level 20. It's only really from there that you can start using offensive magic seriously, though.

That said, AM2 really sucks when you start it late, after doing all of your mining and digging, heh.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

For that slot, I wanted something program-y more than anything else, since that's really the only difference between "industrial" tech mods and "high" tech mods. OC does have robots, but really for a high tech mod everything's going to involve programming and there's only so many of thosep.

At least with Mo' Creatures I can set spawn rates or turn certain mobs off, which I'm going to do. I just want a little more variety, not a full menagerie of chaos.

For the Programming (new category), you could do RFTools Control instead, and tie that in with a Dimensions category for RFTools Dimensions, and then throw in RFTools for what you called High Tech, since it has Shields, some funky power generation, modular and remote storage (so keep Storage Drawers for Storage category and lower-tech), mob spawners, builder/quarry, teleportation, etc., but _does not_ have any of the technology machines that Immersive Engineering, Ender IO, Mekanism, etc. provide.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is there a 1.10 AM2 that's not a buggy crashy mess? I enjoyed how much stuff there was to do in AM2 but not how much it made me crash

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 27, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wasn't even aware there was a 1.10 version till you mentioned it.
The last 1.7.10 versions were far, far more stable than their early releases, though. I never really had a crash even in large modpacks.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Are there any good (OP) ranged weapons in 1.10.2 (not just from ticon), or am I buttfucked in hoping I'll find something that isn't balanced to gently caress and is fun, too?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Datasmurf posted:

Are there any good (OP) ranged weapons in 1.10.2 (not just from ticon), or am I buttfucked in hoping I'll find something that isn't balanced to gently caress and is fun, too?

What's wrong with your Draconic Evolution bows? Blood Magic might have some spell stuff you can do, I don't know the new version of it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Datasmurf posted:

I was using a magical boomerang from XU2 on Progress and it wasn't terrible. Killed normal mobs in one hit when enchanted, and there's no ammo to worry about.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

that boomerang can pick up items at range too, it's pretty cool

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

lolmer posted:

For the Programming (new category), you could do RFTools Control instead, and tie that in with a Dimensions category for RFTools Dimensions, and then throw in RFTools for what you called High Tech, since it has Shields, some funky power generation, modular and remote storage (so keep Storage Drawers for Storage category and lower-tech), mob spawners, builder/quarry, teleportation, etc., but _does not_ have any of the technology machines that Immersive Engineering, Ender IO, Mekanism, etc. provide.
Thanks, I'll take a look at these. I kind of ignored other tech mods once I picked Immersive Engineering, but then I realized I wanted a high-tech deal because I thought it'd be cool to have a programming-related mod. I was looking at Steve's Factory Manager because it has a flowchart-style programming style, but RFContol looks pretty cool too.

I've also been eyeing Steve's Minecarts Reborn instead of Railcraft for the "transport" mod since SMR lets you design modular carts, which is more interesting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So this astrology mod seems really neat and I like a lot of what it has to offer, but is it just me or does it need you to build like 6 loving multiblock structures, each one needing an unobstructed view of the sky, all centered in a nebulously-defined 'cloud' area? Am I supposed to somehow fit these all into this hard-to-map "sweet spot" or just spread them all over the continent or am I missing something here?
Like there's several of them, including a 19x19 one, and I figure you want them all in the places where the starlight shines strongest, which I also infer are those glowing cloudy purplish regions you see when the skywave scanner is equipped, but it's hard to tell where they stop and they sure aren't big enough to fit all those multiblocks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno if you need any of the structures other than the actual crafting altar in one of those nebulous spots, unless i'm missing something with the other structures

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God I feel like a dunce now.

I've known for ages that the Blood Magic Teleposer can teleport things such as chests and Thaumcraft nodes and such. What never occurred to me before now is that one such thing it can teleport is the player. Stick a teleposer in your base, carry another and a pair of teleposition focuses, one of which is bound to your base. Travel somewhere, plop down your second teleposer, bind the second focus to it, then you can teleport back and forth between them at the press of a button. Hell, set up a teleportation hub room with them even if you want.

Edit: Why am I enjoying the usefulness this dumb grindy mod I hated before!?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 28, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

Stockholm Syndrome?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Black Pants posted:

What never occurred to me before now is that one such thing it can teleport is the player. Stick a teleposer in your base, carry another and a pair of teleposition focuses, one of which is bound to your base. Travel somewhere, plop down your second teleposer, bind the second focus to it, then you can teleport back and forth between them at the press of a button. Hell, set up a teleportation hub room with them even if you want.

Huh, I never knew that. Hooray for more player teleport options..

Hmm. Can the teleposer teleport lit TNT?

Also, that seems ripe for griefing unaware players. Hide a tier2/3 teleposer under the ground, wait for your victim to wander along and trigger it sending them into whatever trap you have devised.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 28, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

:yossame:

I made a Ritual of Magnetism and Ritual of the Crusher. Magnetism searches underneath it for ore, and if it finds it, it teleports it up into a 3x3 cube inside of the ritual's area. Crusher breaks any blocks below it in a 3x3 cube. (They're meant to work together.) Magnetism usually only works in a 3x3 column to bedrock, but giving it reagents buffs it up to 31x31. I also added a reagent to Crusher to make it silk touch the blocks it mines.

That's a MFR Unifier on top of Crusher. Since all the ores are silk touched, you'd get Limestone Coal, Rhyolite Coal, etc. Unifying the ore saves on inventory space.

It is, uh, effective

i think i am set on infuscolium

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I never realized how spoiled I was by sifting for ores. I'm playing a normal map for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how much of a pain it is to dig to try and find stuff.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I never realized how spoiled I was by sifting for ores. I'm playing a normal map for the first time in ages and I'd forgotten how much of a pain it is to dig to try and find stuff.
See, that's one of my favorite parts of MC. I find spelunking to be super relaxing. It's got the gamble of wondering what you'll find and the only thing you have to think about is remembering the way back.

Makes for a good brain break between sessions of figuring out how to advance through a mod or design a new space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

See, that's one of my favorite parts of MC. I find spelunking to be super relaxing. It's got the gamble of wondering what you'll find and the only thing you have to think about is remembering the way back.
My spelunking method is generally to dig a 1x2 hole straight down with ladders on one side, stopping every 20 blocks or so to make a landing. I generally dig straight down to the bedrock, then go back and look for cave networks.

Of course, in the cave networks my problem is not remembering to mark my trail so I can find my way back out. :v: