Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place. All the puzzles are randomly strewn on the overworld instead, meaning you lose the sense of progression you get if you put in even a smidge of linearity into a game.

The big epic dungeons are what make a zelda game and without them, what's left is a stunningly beautiful, zelda-themed, sandbox overworld. And sandbox games bore me.

I mean, even though Majora's Mask was mainly about the overworld and the people, and that was, honestly, fantastic, they STILL cared enough to put in four interesting dungeons that would each unlock new places in order, giving you a clear sense of progression through the game.

But Wind Waker and Majora's Mask had not good dungeons and are good, and Twilight Princess had good dungeons and is not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Suspicious Dish posted:

But Wind Waker and Majora's Mask had not good dungeons and are good, and Twilight Princess had good dungeons and is not good

But, the dungeons in MM were some of the best in the series. :???:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rime posted:

But, the dungeons in MM were some of the best in the series. :???:

The second one is kind of bland outside of Goht but it's like 3/4 good ones outside of that

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I just played through TPHD when it released and I already forgot all the dungeons. They range from okay to poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Conversely, Zelda 1 had challenging and engaging dungeons you actually explored, and the entire world feels like a fight against evil baddies.

source: I just beat it yesterday :smug:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
When are they going to make a 3d Link's Awakening.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

Switch is 300, 320 with taxes and Zelda is like 64 with taxes far less than 700

i dont live in your country

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

murked by dragon posted:

i dont live in your country

Mexico? Brazil? Nintendos are super expensive in there

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

frogbs posted:

When are they going to make a 3d Link's Awakening.

Someone's doing it by modding Ocarina of Time, it doesn't look bad either.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
For next smash will they reuse twilight princess Link for a third time or will they use botw Link with the blue shirt

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Calaveron posted:

For next smash will they reuse twilight princess Link for a third time or will they use botw Link with the blue shirt

It's actually just been OOT Link assuming TP Link's identity for the past decade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I identify as a character two generations past mine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Besides that, BoTW was decided on to be a radical departure from the Zelda conventions. If the dungeons are what people think make Zelda games great then that's okay, but BoTW is more about a living, reactive world that offers a sense of freedom never before seen, allowing people to go wherever and do whatever within the first few hours depending on the level of challenge they want.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Conversely, Zelda 1 had challenging and engaging dungeons you actually explored, and the entire world feels like a fight against evil baddies.

source: I just beat it yesterday :smug:

Zelda 1 doesn't even have puzzles

Its dungeons are not good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Will the dungeons tell me what number they are so I know which order I'm supposed to do?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

Mexico? Brazil? Nintendos are super expensive in there

canada. I just did the math, and the total with tax (13%) for the switch + zelda + pro controller is $644

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After converting to USD, that's about what I would pay for Switch + Zelda SE + Pro controller.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cojawfee posted:

After converting to USD, that's about what I would pay for Switch + Zelda SE + Pro controller.

yes but the cost of living here is substantially higher. our dollar does not go as far. if you're interested you can look at this article. basically canada sucks (for buying the nintendo switch)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

murked by dragon posted:

yes but the cost of living here is substantially higher. our dollar does not go as far. if you're interested you can look at this article. basically canada sucks (for buying the nintendo switch)

As a fellow Canadian I insist you spend this money so that I don't feel bad about also spending it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where the gently caress do I get the Zelda Breath of the Wild font?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh poo poo yes
http://artsyomni.com/hyliaserif

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place. All the puzzles are randomly strewn on the overworld instead, meaning you lose the sense of progression you get if you put in even a smidge of linearity into a game.

The big epic dungeons are what make a zelda game and without them, what's left is a stunningly beautiful, zelda-themed, sandbox overworld. And sandbox games bore me.

I mean, even though Majora's Mask was mainly about the overworld and the people, and that was, honestly, fantastic, they STILL cared enough to put in four interesting dungeons that would each unlock new places in order, giving you a clear sense of progression through the game.

idk about you but after 30 years of the same poo poo im looking forward to an entirely new take

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are 120 mini-dungeons scattered throughout the overworld which itself has a ton of challenges, puzzles, and obstacles of its own for you to overcome. I can live with the main dungeons not being as much of a centerpiece as they were in past games.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I forgot to mention it in this thread: this week's Target ad is saying that they will have limited quantities of the Special Edition in store.

So if you're still looking for it, try walking into your local Target when it opens (usually 8am).

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I don't know if this was posted yet but good luck trying to not smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNvDfjEbQw

EDIT: I don't know if this video contains what some might call spoilers, so be cautious. It's basically a mix of Link's sweet shield riding skills

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Why did the Z have to be extrapolated? It's the biggest letter available.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dubious posted:

idk about you but after 30 years of the same poo poo im looking forward to an entirely new take

I'm cautiously optimistic and open minded, and everything sounds good at the moment. But the last few games to make the leap from a more structured experience to open world lost a lot in the process and felt hollow and sludgy as gently caress (MGS and FF being the most prominent recent examples). So it's easy to be wary.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Zelda already went in that direction with A Link Between Worlds, which was a resounding success

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Majora's Mask effectively already did the half-step between this and a 'traditional' Zelda. They aren't totally reinventing the wheel, they already did a game that removed the focus on dungeons and focused more on world. From all accounts BoW has a legitimate story happening, and it has a ton of major fights and puzzles all over the place. The only thing you are giving up is picking up most of that stuff happening in a dungeon. Conversely now you ride around on an elk and cook up your own potions and dick with a truly impressive physics engine while all that stuff is happening.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm anxious about the dungeons as well, and I'm not sure I'll enjoy having durability and physics stuff and other issues with open world games in my Zelda, but I mean I'm gonna get it anyways because it's fuckin' Zelda, so we'll see. Hopefully I'll be happy to be wrong, like how I was with DOOM.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
will I be able to hail satan in the new zelda game? asking for a friend

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

BeOSPOS posted:

Nothing is stopping you from writing "hail baphomet" on the ground with the fire rod. Other than that I dont think you can sacrifice virgins on altar...

yet

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The new thread title is ironic, guys. I hope.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
No, I already hate breath of the wild
It stinksssss

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A store in Netherlands broke street date for the Wii U version. Pictures being passed around are from some random girl in a video game group and not someone with hacking tools. Others may have been alerted but nothing really showing up yet.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BeOSPOS posted:

Magic is satanic.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic and open minded, and everything sounds good at the moment. But the last few games to make the leap from a more structured experience to open world lost a lot in the process and felt hollow and sludgy as gently caress (MGS and FF being the most prominent recent examples). So it's easy to be wary.

I could not get into MGS until V. Partially because the way the story was presented was bad but also because before V the missions felt too restricted.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I was worried the overworld would be kind of empty but it looks incredibly dense for how big it is. Game looks incredible. Really does look like a game where you'll spend 90% just wandering around doing random poo poo and have it be fun.

Still worried it will be a little shallow in that that's basically all you do but if they have good characters and some fun sidequests it probably wont matter.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 27, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Reminder to everyone that you should probably clear your Youtube watching history if you've been watching BotW videos, so you don't start getting Recommended videos from idiots who don't know how to hide spoilers as the game starts getting in the hands of more people through street date breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

evilmiera posted:

I could not get into MGS until V. Partially because the way the story was presented was bad but also because before V the missions felt too restricted.

I love all of them, and I do love MGS V, and this to me does in some ways feel like the MGS V of Zelda, in that they're going open world or finally embracing that style of game. But I don't think it makes sense to call a meticulously, excellently designed gameplay level restricted. And you could take more than one approach, at least since 3. The bases in MGS games are pretty incredible pieces of work I feel. And MGS3 in particular had a lot of wider areas as well. I just hope the future of game design isn't just getting rid of meticulous, large complex levels in favor of just going open world all the time. But to be fair, reviews are saying this world is fairly meticulously designed, just maybe not having as big/complex dungeons.

But that said, I love open world done well, and this looks to be a good example of that, and MGS V was for me as well, despite it's behind the scenes troubles and whatnot. I just hope we don't see the MGS1 style of game go away either.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 27, 2017