Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Renoistic posted:

I played the first Mirror's Edge on PC with a mouse - how are the controls for the PS4 version of the second game? How annoying is the open world gameplay? Anything like the Assassin's Creed feathers?

Game is great if you liked the first, uncompromising if you didn't. Controls are streamlined and actions can be chained with practice. Story is meh, soundtrack phenomenal.

Open world allows for a lot of freedom, most moves are unlocked by the 15-20% mark and there is a more gentle learning curve. Main story missions are a blast, along with a few side missions that are long enough to be considered story missions. Many many time trials, if you're into that sort of thing, and the city is generally beautiful and fun to freestyle around.

edit; I advise runner vision on 'classic' and a wider FOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I preorder Horizon Zero Dawn, will it automagically start downloading as soon as humanly possible if I leave the PS4 in rest mode, or do I have to do something? I'm going to be busy all of Monday night/Tuesday so might not have time to set it off.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Game is great if you liked the first, uncompromising if you didn't. Controls are streamlined and actions can be chained with practice. Story is meh, soundtrack phenomenal.

Open world allows for a lot of freedom, most moves are unlocked by the 15-20% mark and there is a more gentle learning curve. Main story missions are a blast, along with a few side missions that are long enough to be considered story missions. Many many time trials, if you're into that sort of thing, and the city is generally beautiful and fun to freestyle around.

edit; I advise runner vision on 'classic' and a wider FOV.

Thanks! There are so many new games I want to play now but the price is just right.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

If I preorder Horizon Zero Dawn, will it automagically start downloading as soon as humanly possible if I leave the PS4 in rest mode, or do I have to do something? I'm going to be busy all of Monday night/Tuesday so might not have time to set it off.

you may want to go into the library and find the game and make sure the option for autodownload is checked but otherwise yes for sure.

generally it will be entirely downloaded ahead of the unlock time at midnight est

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: i can't fuckin read

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

usf is in actuality the quebec minister of culture so he has to make these embarassing posts defending the #3 games publisher in the world from accusations of mediocrity

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This is not true at all, it got high review scores and satisfied players. As usual it was people who never played it who were down on it "because Ubisoft."

he's talking about the first game having a negative reaction

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

bethesda games need the nemesis system, and to become good

Neither are possible with bethesdas current devs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess For Honor does a really good job of teaching you to jump into situations and defend blindly

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This is not true at all, it got high review scores and satisfied players. As usual it was people who never played it who were down on it "because Ubisoft."

I've heard that it was better than the first one but not massively so and mostly better in presentation and giving you some neat tools like the drones. That makes it sound like a "buy at $20 at most" game to me since I got really burned by W_D1.

I do have a specific question about it. The thing I hated most about W_D1 from a game mechanics point of view was the police search thing. When you'd do something illegal, all these yellow circles or whatever would move on your radar and you'd have to dodge them in the game and it was dumb and awkward felt really lazily implemented. Did they do something different in the new one?

edit: oh lol are you defending the first one? Cuz that one was really eh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's talking about the first game having a negative reaction

It's true of the first one too though.

bloodychill posted:

I've heard that it was better than the first one but not massively so and mostly better in presentation and giving you some neat tools like the drones. That makes it sound like a "buy at $20 at most" game to me since I got really burned by W_D1.

I do have a specific question about it. The thing I hated most about W_D1 from a game mechanics point of view was the police search thing. When you'd do something illegal, all these yellow circles or whatever would move on your radar and you'd have to dodge them in the game and it was dumb and awkward felt really lazily implemented. Did they do something different in the new one?

The second isn't a huge departure from the first. It's better for sure, but not to the degree people make it out to be.

The police circles are still there and still annoying.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 27, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Neither are possible with bethesdas current devs

It would be cool when some bandit you killed comes back for revenge but he is still decapitated and his skull is floating above his neck. Also the various nemesis in a Bethesda game have a total of ten different personalities and a single voice actor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess For Honor does a really good job of teaching you to jump into situations and defend blindly

loool

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Watch Dogs 2 is not a Assassins Creed to Assassins Creed two jump in quality.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bloodychill posted:

In Watch_Dogs 2, if you get detected doing something you shouldn't, there are potential people who can call the police/reinforcements. You can manually disable their phones or there's an early unlockable skill that can do an AOE panic-button disable of everyone's phones to prevent this.

There are some forced sequences where you have to drive away from the cops/bad guys searching for you. However, you have better tools to deal with them -- you can hack your car to speed boost, you can hack their car to crash it, etc. I did all the main missions and side missions and there were probably only two or three sequences that were annoying like the ones you describe from 1

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The whole Nemesis system hinges on you dying a lot, which didn't work at all for me because the game was so easy, especially if you did any of the Elf upgrades.

I REALLY hope it's not just the lovely grey lands of Mordor in the next one, that reveal of the green lands in SoM blew my mind, I had NO idea it was coming and it was a nice twist.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

you may want to go into the library and find the game and make sure the option for autodownload is checked but otherwise yes for sure.

generally it will be entirely downloaded ahead of the unlock time at midnight est

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a think, but the game looks pretty good to me!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:vince:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i played the 3 hour wd2 demo. got past the cult part. did some invasion stuff. its all pretty inoffensive standard stuff. maybe if i'm bored one summer maybe

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My bad, yeah the first WD was poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I lol'd at that one. If only real life had a revenge meter.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The whole Nemesis system hinges on you dying a lot, which didn't work at all for me because the game was so easy, especially if you did any of the Elf upgrades.

The full Nemesis system relies on the player dying or failing but at least one half of the system is still very cool with the hierarchy and villains coming back and setting them against each other, etc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That mind control ability in SOM was the most OP poo poo I've ever seen.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone used Remote Play on a PC? I'm trying to play For HOnor on it while my fiance watches the dumb and boring Oscars, and holy poo poo it's annoying how L3 brings up the on-screen keyboard. I can't find any setting to disable it or just turn it off, it's mystifying and really annoying to try and sprint away from someone and suddenly a keyboard is blocking my entire view.

Also annoying is how it randomly decides to make my L-stick suddenly control the D-pad, which is SO GREAT when it wastes my special ability while I'm nowhere near any enemies. How did they gently caress this up so badly?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I was just using it on a mac for the same game, and didn't really have any problems like that.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
NES guerilla if you want to play Dying Light with me I like just exploring around and getting junk, jump kicking zombies and loving around :kiddo:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

That mind control ability in SOM was the most OP poo poo I've ever seen.

Yeah but it was a single player game, you vs an army of orcs, and by the end combat was more about orcemon management than actually challenging the player. I like all the OP stuff in open world games like SOM; i cant wait to shadow strike my way through a couple regiments of uruks. I put an absolutely impractical number of hours into the first one, they have my axe. Er, money.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If a single player game doesn't let you do some completely broken poo poo, it's disappointing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Just finished yakuza 0. That was a fun time. Looking forward to the upcoming releases.

1. What was the quality level of this game compared to others in the series?

2. How come I gotta wait a year for them to shove subtitles on more games?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

Just finished yakuza 0. That was a fun time. Looking forward to the upcoming releases.

1. What was the quality level of this game compared to others in the series?

1. I'd say middle-high.
2. I'm guessing it's less a technical reason and more them just wanting to space out releases for marketing reasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

NES guerilla if you want to play Dying Light with me I like just exploring around and getting junk, jump kicking zombies and loving around :kiddo:

Sweet. I'll probably grab a copy after I tap out Horizon and possibly Nier and hit you up. It's on my short list.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Don't like be in any rush i'm flaky as gently caress anyways!

Dying Light is crazy though because I honestly didn't even expect a second city portion to open up. The only game I had played before by them was Dead Island which I just thought sucked rear end. Dying light was great especially when stoned as gently caress. I've given up pot though so who know's how it will hold up. I still want to finish it though. Game is atmospheric as gently caress and hell, even though it came out way past the zombie craze it still is pretty good.

I'm totally keen on PVE poo poo. TF2 was fun but i'm not huge on competitive poo poo very often.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Bombadilillo posted:

Ha! This is the quickest turnaround the Yakuza series has ever had... Being a fan of the older ones was rough.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Something up? I can't buy Horizon on Console PSN or Web Store. Not a personal thing like a credit card. On Console it just gets me into an error code loop when I hit the preorder button to initiate the process. In Web Store I get an error about my preorder may not be completed check my order history.

[Ed] also when did that spend 100 get 15 offer start?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 27, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ciaphas posted:

the real trick here is to make sure you have enough room to actually download the game, the ps4 is finnicky about that poo poo too so make sure you have significantly more than the actual game size. it's not double the size of the download like on ps3 but it is some random unknowable amount.

i've preloaded many ps4 preorders at this point and the only thing that has ever stopped one from working was the system thinking 50 gigs is not bigger than 30 gigs

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It keeps 25 GiB in reserve for downloads. It should probably mark those 25 GiB (or whatever size is appropriate for the drive size) as a housekeeping reserve.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The natural extension of the nemesis system is for you to have your own subordinates that you can promote and send off to do missions.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dude I am literally now getting a credit card information error on PSN store despite the fact that I am using PayPal and HAVE BEEN for years.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Feenix posted:

Dude I am literally now getting a credit card information error on PSN store despite the fact that I am using PayPal and HAVE BEEN for years.

the store just does that sometimes. I'm sure there's a reason for it but idk what it is

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I've never had a problem with psn payments for about 10 years. I'm not bragging, I'm just posting about this so that I'll get hosed by it sooner rather than later due to cosmic forces.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harlock posted:

The natural extension of the nemesis system is for you to have your own subordinates that you can promote and send off to do missions.

The maker of Dwarf Fortress, before he made that, had this other game called Liberal Crime Squad. It had the coolest core mechanic where every single NPC in the game could be captured and converted to your side. You could either install them within your organization doing various tasks, or send them back out to their previous jobs as sleeper agents that you could activate when the time was right. I would love to play an organized crime / spy game that let you do that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

bethesda games need the nemesis system, and to become good

united front games needs to exist again, and sleeping dogs 2 needs the nemesis system