Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'd have to look at the thing but I'm pretty sure the plastic itself is cut in the shape of a pony and the only thing you can replace is the plastic screen to change the color, and you'd probably have to do some disassembly to do that.

I'm thinking of just printing another piece of plastic in the shape of Dickbutt and sticking it over the existing cutout. So Dickbutt will wind up being a smaller projected image than the pony but it should still work, if I can print such a small piece at a decent resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I bought a catback. And an intake. And an intercooler. And a tuner.

oh god what have i done

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

H2SO4 posted:

I bought a catback. And an intake. And an intercooler. And a tuner.

oh god what have i done

Just making the car become what it should have been stock.

edit: Seriously the stock intercooler is dangerously bad.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 20, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I went with the Mishimoto catback and I'm very pleased with the sound. I don't know how they did it but they somehow made a turbo 4cyl sound deep and mean. When cruising it's barely noticeable inside the cabin, but when you step on it you know it's there.

The shop did have some trouble getting it on though - the hangers and outlets hardly lined up at all. I don't know if I just got a lovely unit or what, but they were able to sort it out.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I have the MBRP exhaust(which also fit pretty poorly) and have been told my car sounds like a SR20. When I put my downpipe on I installed a resonator and I think it helped the sound level stay reasonable. Really I notice the intake/turbo noise over the exhaust anyway.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

The local dealership has a '16 GT with 4600 miles I'm thinking about trading my Focus ST on. They're asking 28.9 which I don't think is a bad price, but I haven't really looked for other cars to compare it to. What do you guys think?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Is it a premium? PP? 28.9 Seems high if it doesn't have options.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fps_bill posted:

The local dealership has a '16 GT with 4600 miles I'm thinking about trading my Focus ST on. They're asking 28.9 which I don't think is a bad price, but I haven't really looked for other cars to compare it to. What do you guys think?
At that price I hope it's a premium (leather/sync3/etc). With a couple options involved that's a fair deal.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

http://www.bedfordford.com/used/Ford/2016-Ford-Mustang-f43ddbb90a0e0adf41c9e44abd0f1f34.htm?searchDepth=1:3#&gid=1&pid=3

Any guesses as to what they gave for it? I got hosed when I bought my focus, if I decide to pull the trigger on this I wanna come out on top.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'd have considered that price for a non-Premium if it had the PP and cloth Recaros. But that's too much money for that car.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

What would be a good price for that, and how do I get the sales manager to give it to me for that. I'm actually glad it doesn't have recaros because I don't fit in them, I test drove an ST2 car before I got mine that had them and quickly said gently caress that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Factory MSRP was $34,165. Thats a decent discount, but I'd want a bit more off. You could probably get a new identical one for $31k, so with 5k miles on it....

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Take your other car to carmax and get a floor trade in value. Test drive the ford and have them give you a trade in dollar amount on the fiesta. When you get back say you are interested but want the keys to your other car back first before you make an offer. Get your keys, write down the terms you are willing to pay and your phone number and leave. Do not wait around for a response. I have never gotten the best price without leaving.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Truth. I had to not only leave, but also get another dealer in town to trade for the car, but in the end I won.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Since, judging by the weather, I'll probably be swapping back to my Summer tires soon it reminded me that I've never posted a picture of my snow tires/wheels. 18" Enkeis with Yokohama Ice Guards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Thanks. I found another car with 1k more miles for 2600 less, I'm gonna try to use that to get a better deal on the blue one. I just love that blue with the silver stripes, sexy as frig.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Anyone have a guide on removing the aluminum dash trim on the s550? The dealer used some kind of cleaner that etched the driver's side a bit so I want to remove all four pieces and polish them up.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I haven't actually pulled the largest piece but as far as I can tell they are all held in by clips and just pull right out. I've removed the smaller pieces next to the wheel and they popped right out with no hassle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ilkhan posted:

scrubs season six: Reno?

Yep.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Buhbuhj posted:

I haven't actually pulled the largest piece but as far as I can tell they are all held in by clips and just pull right out. I've removed the smaller pieces next to the wheel and they popped right out with no hassle.

I thought so, but paused when the headlight switch piece had a screw holding it down. Looking around some forum posts it does look like the passenger side pieces are indeed just clipped in though, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just remembered I've got an MGW shifter for my TR-6060 that I bought forever ago that I was holding off on installing in case I got some of the dreaded TR-6060 grinds. My powertrain warranty expired nine months ago so I want to install it this weekend but I also don't want to lay on cold rear end concrete for hours so I'll probably wait for it to warm up a bit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I really wanted to pick up a MGW shifter when I first got my car because I assumed I had the stock shifter. Turns out I didnt, I have some other short throw shifter so I just kind of went on to the next upgrade. It works fine, but reverse is hard to get into sometimes, and very rarely will it get caught up going from 2-3 but its good enough. Still want to try one out sometime though because I hear MGW is the best.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I want to get Steeda or MGW shifter for my car as well. The 2 to 3 shift can be real annoying under power. Stock shifter moves around too much. That's really my only issue with the MT82 at this point and it's mostly Ford's fault anyway.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
When I got my car, the mods to do where the Steeda tri-ax and underdrive pullies. hardly anyone talks about those anymore.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I was bored at work tonight so I checked X-plan pricing on a new GT. If I can't get them to knock a few grand off the used 16 I linked earlier I may just buy a new one.

E: Welp, looks like daddys getting a 17 Impact Blue GT with the GT performance package(WTF NO SPOILER?!?!?!?!?). Are the silver stripes a dealer installed option, or are they from the factory?

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 26, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fps_bill posted:

I was bored at work tonight so I checked X-plan pricing on a new GT. If I can't get them to knock a few grand off the used 16 I linked earlier I may just buy a new one.

E: Welp, looks like daddys getting a 17 Impact Blue GT with the GT performance package(WTF NO SPOILER?!?!?!?!?). Are the silver stripes a dealer installed option, or are they from the factory?

Good man.

I'm in Hawaii atm and I'm pretty sure there's more Mustangs per square mile here than anywhere short of a dealership.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

fps_bill posted:

The spoiler on the '17 isn't really a spoiler.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fps_bill posted:

Lightning blue or Grabber blue? DIB is gone, afaik. Congrats.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Yeah my bad, it's lightning blue. While we're on the topic of colors wtf no more guard green? I was seriously thinking about going Steve McQueen style till I saw they dropped that color.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 26, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fps_bill posted:

Yeah my bad, it's lightning blue. While we're on the topic of colors wtf no more guard green? I was seriously thinking about going Steve McQueen style till I saw they dropped that color.
Yup. I love my Guard.

They're bringing it back on the '18 F-150, so... maybe it'll return?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Rumor is we're getting another Bullitt, so I'm not so sure we'll get Guard back anytime soon.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Achievement unlocked: didn't brick the ECU.

Swapped plugs, installed intake/filter, changed oil and installed the Cobb stage 1 tune. I also used the taller PL20195 oil filter which still fit nicely and has enough space to work the wrench if needed.

ETS intercooler comes in mid next week, and once that's installed I can start datalogging for the custom tune.

I also sent a sample of the oil into Blackstone Labs to get a report. Mostly interested in seeing how close the "remaining oil life" gauge lines up with reality.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Radar detector update, if anyone cares.

Had my eye on the passport 9500ci integrated system. 3 problems with that:
  • Cost: the local installer wants $3000 total for the install
  • Time: they also want 3 days to do the install. This is actually a bigger problem than the cost.
  • Laser jammer: use of a laser jammer is a class B misdemeanor in Tennessee. I asked them about this and was informed that it could be disabled. However, when I checked the on-line manual, what that means is when you get pinged by a laser, you can push a button to disable the jammer for one minute. That is not the disabling the jammer.
So integrated is out. But in a blinding flash of the obvious, it turns out that the valentine one comes with a visor mount as well as a hard wire kit. Standard. So, it's ordered.

Now all I need to do is find an installer who can hook it up to a switched power source. The guy who did my dash cam install insists that there are no switched power sources on the mustang, and I am not knowledgeable enough to say otherwise - although I find it very difficult to believe. As a result, I have to manually turn on and off the dash cam, and I don't want to do that with the valentine (and I'd like to get the cam fixed as well).

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

LongSack posted:

Radar detector update, if anyone cares.

Had my eye on the passport 9500ci integrated system. 3 problems with that:
  • Cost: the local installer wants $3000 total for the install

Jesus loving christ, that's insane. Even if you had the laser shifters that still seems bonkers. After reading the rest of the post I looked it up and it seems they're included; last time I was looking at it I thought they were extra.

LongSack posted:

Now all I need to do is find an installer who can hook it up to a switched power source. The guy who did my dash cam install insists that there are no switched power sources on the mustang, and I am not knowledgeable enough to say otherwise - although I find it very difficult to believe. As a result, I have to manually turn on and off the dash cam, and I don't want to do that with the valentine (and I'd like to get the cam fixed as well).

Definitely hard to believe. Even if the cig lighter sockets are hot all the time, there's almost certainly another one that is actually switched. My 9500ix is wired to the auto-dimming mirror which works perfectly, used a mirrortap so I didn't have to alter any wiring at all. Check here for your specific model and get one long enough to tuck under the headliner and run over to the visor. I've got the mirrormount too but I might switch to a visor mount for the (arguably dumb) reason that the mirrormount interferes with putting a sunshade in the front window unless I move it down, and if I do that every time I get out of the car I'll have to keep re-tightening it which is a pain.

If you're not on there already, the place where all of the radar detector super-spergs hang out is rdforum.org. You'll be able to find out pretty much anything you want to know about detectors/installation/etc there.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 27, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

H2SO4 posted:

Jesus loving christ, that's insane. Even if you had the laser shifters that still seems bonkers. After reading the rest of the post I looked it up and it seems they're included; last time I was looking at it I thought they were

That's the cost including the unit which is about $2000, so it's $1000 for the install. Not that that's better, but I want to be clear.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

What year? The rearview mirror in my 16 has a switched power wire my V1 is hooked to.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Is the inability to use a sunshade the only reason to not use a mirror mount? I have a passport max that I had hardwired with the sticky cup mount above my mirror in my ST. In the middle of summer I'd always come out to to the detector laying on my seat, floor, or between the seat and center console.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

fps_bill posted:

Is the inability to use a sunshade the only reason to not use a mirror mount? I have a passport max that I had hardwired with the sticky cup mount above my mirror in my ST. In the middle of summer I'd always come out to to the detector laying on my seat, floor, or between the seat and center console.

In my case, there is a dash cam under the rear view, so I need an alternate location for the radar detector.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

LongSack posted:

In my case, there is a dash cam under the rear view, so I need an alternate location for the radar detector.

Yeah these are the only two real downsides - if you use a sunshade or if you've got something else that needs that space. Outside of that I am a huge fan of mirror mounting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
For $3,000 can't you just bribe the traffic judge by hiring his son to represent you in court?