Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Decairn posted:

The new plan also has the kickback feature, a $10 rebate per line if the line uses under 2GB of data - turn it on in your profile to use it. I switched this weekend from the 2/100 Simple Plan promo, will end up paying less overall. Plus, waiting for a Pixel, so hope to have that bill credit promo available to use to to reduce the cost of a new device.

So let me get this straight.

I'm currently paying $80, or $95 with Taxes and Fees, for
-2 Lines, 6GB per line, Binge On Video, 20GB Data Stash

I could switch my plan to T-Mobile One for $100 w/ Fees, for
-2 lines, T-Mobile One, HD Video.
-Activate the Kickback feature on our lines, and any month we use less than 2GB on a line we get $10 back on that line?

Seems too good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Yep, that's how it reads. Was released as a feature in January so we'll see how that goes in practice soon.
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33862 and on the FAQ https://explore.t-mobile.com/t-mobile-one-faq

For someone like me, I use wifi always except for some streaming music in the car and Google Maps, so it should be a $20 credit each month.

Decairn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 21, 2017

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there some way to tell if the 20% was actually applied to your account? The rep said she gave it to me when I signed up, but I don't see it on the service terms paperwork or on my plan online.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Decairn posted:

The new plan also has the kickback feature, a $10 rebate per line if the line uses under 2GB of data - turn it on in your profile to use it. I switched this weekend from the 2/100 Simple Plan promo, will end up paying less overall. Plus, waiting for a Pixel, so hope to have that bill credit promo available to use to to reduce the cost of a new device.

Made the switch today. Also there's a deal going on where the S7, S7 Edge and LG V20 are half off ($360). And if you do happen to get the V20, you get a free projector too. (today is the last day to redeem it fyi). I was tempted, but I'm not big on flipping phones.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

halokiller posted:

Made the switch today. Also there's a deal going on where the S7, S7 Edge and LG V20 are half off ($360). And if you do happen to get the V20, you get a free projector too. (today is the last day to redeem it fyi). I was tempted, but I'm not big on flipping phones.

LGV20 looks pretty sweet and it seems to have a pretty decent headphone jack as well. Any reason why you would want an S7 over it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kreeblah posted:

Has anybody heard about this 20% off thing? I don't know anybody who works for T-Mobile, so I don't have a code, but it sounds like it might be worth trying to find somebody who would be willing to share one, even if I had to make a new account for it.

This was too good to pass up, I'm finally free from AT&T. I ported my Google Voice number for it since that's what Ive always to have and the hookup site took about 3 hours to actually accept my number but I'm all set on this. I went to a store and asked around switching and mentioned the 20% thing and told them I'd switch on the spot if that was available. Whole thing of setting up a new account and porting my number took maybe 20 minutes. I had already checked reception maps but it's cool to see good LTE coverage at home. And being able to tether my iPad is loving awesome.

Now to spend the whole week switching phone numbers on every bloody site / bank / account I have.

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there some way to tell if the 20% was actually applied to your account? The rep said she gave it to me when I signed up, but I don't see it on the service terms paperwork or on my plan online.

I'd like to know this too. I did it through the site myself and my tracking ID shows it as "approved" but I've yet to receive any e-mail or text about it and there's no signs of it on the My T-Mobile website.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I was told the Kickback thing was $10 off if you use under 2GB. Well I did the switch last night, and the final rep told me it's UP to $10. Meaning if you use literally no data, it's $10. If you use 1GB, it's $5, etc.

What's the real deal on how it works?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Confounding Factor posted:

LGV20 looks pretty sweet and it seems to have a pretty decent headphone jack as well. Any reason why you would want an S7 over it?

Have you seen reviews of LG phones for the last 4 years? They've had a terrible track record.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd like to know this too. I did it through the site myself and my tracking ID shows it as "approved" but I've yet to receive any e-mail or text about it and there's no signs of it on the My T-Mobile website.

Update: after like 6 hours I just received a text saying I'm enrolled and start receiving my 20% discount on my first bill.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Seems like T-Mobile is implementing a deal where users with two lines can get a third for free. This means that if someone is switching now and they get the 20% off deal, they could get 3 lines on unlimited plans for $80 per month (or less if they use <2GB data on either of the main devices). Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Seems like T-Mobile is implementing a deal where users with two lines can get a third for free. This means that if someone is switching now and they get the 20% off deal, they could get 3 lines on unlimited plans for $80 per month (or less if they use <2GB data on either of the main devices). Seems like a pretty sweet deal.
So I had 2 lines Simple Choice 6GB + a 200MB Tablet "Free data for life" deal. I had to cancel the tablet to upgrade to the T-Mobile One deal for 2 lines for $100. Now I have to call back and add on the tablet for free T-Mobile One again?

I appreciate the deals, but this is turning into a hassle.

Edit: Here is a thought. Can I activate a third line and enroll it into the Kickback promo and get $10 off my monthly bill?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 27, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Looks like Simple Choice can get in on this as well. Interested to know if those of us who took advantage of the extra 2 lines during black friday are eligible. Would love to get a fifth line for $3/month (the taxes).

On that note, does anyone know if the car hotspot thing registers as a tablet line or not? I'd like some flexibility in how to use that in the future if I decide I don't want a car hotspot anymore.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is buying one of these prepaid SIM's a good way to test out the T-Mobile network in my area? I seem to recall that some carriers pre-paid options were throttled or something that made them not a good indicator of their regular network.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thermopyle posted:

Is buying one of these prepaid SIM's a good way to test out the T-Mobile network in my area? I seem to recall that some carriers pre-paid options were throttled or something that made them not a good indicator of their regular network.

I've been on TMo prepaid for 3 years and the only real difference in service I've noticed is not getting data when roaming. Its rare, and clearly evident because the carrier logo on my phone changes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it is very rare that my wife's post-paid TMO plan has service where my pre-paid TMO plan does not. Usually if I don't have data it's because I'm off in the desert with zero signal of any sort, not just roaming elsewhere.

Once I burn up my TMO prepaid balance, if the two-for-$100 is still around I'll switch to it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hell yeah, I've got my 20% going now, so March 1st I'm going to get a 3rd line and finish switching from AT&T. Basically cutting my bill in half for 3 lines.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if they are still doing it but they gave me an iPhone to use for a month for free to test out their network before I made the switch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlyingCheese posted:

I don't know if they are still doing it but they gave me an iPhone to use for a month for free to test out their network before I made the switch.

That's over. Now they just have a guarantee that includes unlocking your device if you leave.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
There's no way to save money if you're an existing customer with 3 lines on the Simple Choice plan. Can't do the 20% off deal, can't switch to ONE because the plan jumps to $140 with a third line, can't cancel an existing line for the free line because that voids eligibility, being on Simple Choice means getting the free line and waiting the year before I can cancel a line without voiding the free credit will cost me $60 in taxes minimum.

I am not feeling Thanked, T-Mobile. I already lost a $5 credit a couple years back when I switched the account into my name and lost out on the extra share of stock because it technically was a new account. :smith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

There's no way to save money if you're an existing customer with 3 lines on the Simple Choice plan. Can't do the 20% off deal, can't switch to ONE because the plan jumps to $140 with a third line, can't cancel an existing line for the free line because that voids eligibility, being on Simple Choice means getting the free line and waiting the year before I can cancel a line without voiding the free credit will cost me $60 in taxes minimum.

I am not feeling Thanked, T-Mobile. I already lost a $5 credit a couple years back when I switched the account into my name and lost out on the extra share of stock because it technically was a new account. :smith:

T-Mobile is doing great things in terms of up ending cell phone pricing, making carriers change, etc, but a good part of their strategy def seems to be offering big promos for new customers. So you get a solid deal when you switch, 2-3 years down the road you don't continue to get the same deals. Almost like Comcast with cable.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

isndl posted:

Ya, at SC with 5 lines, not all of which I care to have on more than baseline amounts of LTE data, and multiple ipads on free data, the One plan doesn't benefit me at all, especially once you factor in the grandfathered employer discount I'd probably lose in the switch.

Maybe they'll have a good promo for switchers I can jump on next year.

:sigh:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Was able to add a free line to my SC Unlimited account today even though I already added two free lines for the black Friday deal. Thanks for the three free lines T-Mobile

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WhyteRyce posted:

Was able to add a free line to my SC Unlimited account today even though I already added two free lines for the black Friday deal. Thanks for the three free lines T-Mobile

I got the two at Black Friday and was looking forward to another.

I'm bummed because I just called to cancel a line I set up for my father while he was visiting from Europe. Doesn't make any damned sense to call to have it reversed before it goes effective in a week and get the extra line.

Next time T-mobile. Keep on disrupting!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AND IT BEGINS.

For some reason they had trouble adding my 3rd line in the store, so the lady called in. An hour later they sent me home with 2 non working phones, a non working 3rd SIM and a promise to call me when everything is working. :psyduck:

edit:

lol now my plan is fixed by my 20% discount has vanished, so far I am not blown away by Tmobile's customer service, this seems like some Sprint level poo poo

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 2, 2017

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
It's March. That means I can escape AT&T without risk of an early termination fee due to the price increase on grandfathered unlimited plans.

T-Mobile gives stock shares to customers?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

AND IT BEGINS.

lol now my plan is fixed by my 20% discount has vanished, so far I am not blown away by Tmobile's customer service, this seems like some Sprint level poo poo

"Welcome to T-MOBILE and enjoy your 20% fo lyfe!"

1 week later...

"What 20% Lol?"

Hammer TForce on Twitter and godspeed.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

hotsauce posted:

"Welcome to T-MOBILE and enjoy your 20% fo lyfe!"

1 week later...

"What 20% Lol?"

Hammer TForce on Twitter and godspeed.

Well, according to the reps on twitter it is there I just can't see it on my plan page, which isn't super confidence inspiring. I do still have my promotion ID and the full chat log I guess in case I need to get bitchy later.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Maneki Neko posted:

Well, according to the reps on twitter it is there I just can't see it on my plan page, which isn't super confidence inspiring. I do still have my promotion ID and the full chat log I guess in case I need to get bitchy later.

My plan page also doesn't list my government discount, but it's taken out on my actual bill.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
The text message reminder and the website both have the (same) wrong amount for my bill, but they always charge me the correct amount so I just stopped wrong worrying.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I'm on a family line with a phone that no longer boots (Last AT&T update screwed my phone's software something fierce and it's 3 months out of warranty) and I figure it's time to get away from AT&T. I saw in the OP that one of the requirements for trade in is that the phone must "turn on". Technically it turns on but it's stuck with bad firmware that I can't seem to flash back to a less recent stock ROM. Is booting part of the "turn on" bit? :v:

The alternative is paying AT&T $280 for a new phone and gently caress that.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 3, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CascadeBeta posted:

So I'm on a family line with a phone that no longer boots (Last AT&T update screwed my phone's software something fierce and it's 3 months out of warranty) and I figure it's time to get away from AT&T. I saw in the OP that one of the requirements for trade in is that the phone must "turn on". Technically it turns on but it's stuck with bad firmware that I can't seem to flash back to a less recent stock ROM. Is booting part of the "turn on" bit? :v:

The alternative is paying AT&T $280 for a new phone and gently caress that.

Pay AT&T for some lovely rear end burner phone and trade that one in. Or whatever cheapest thing T-Mo will take.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 3, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Pay AT&T for some lovely rear end burner phone and trade that one in. Or whatever cheapest thing T-Mo will take.

Yeah I bought a $30 AT&T burner while I shopped around. I'm just wondering if they'll take it even if it doesn't boot to Android. The phone is in great condition and worked fine until 48 hours ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Just swapped over last night. Hopefully everything works out because getting 3 lines of unlimited data for a $80 monthly total ($60 if we don't use more than 2gb each on our main lines) plus $300 back for porting two numbers is a hell of a deal. The 20% off was already applied when I logged in to the new account, so that was hassle free.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just got my first text notifying of my bill. $56 is a pretty loving nice number for unlimited everything. I called att today to disconnect / cancel my service and they second they realized I was a grandfathered unlimited they stop trying their stay with us spiel. They really hated those plans.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I love T-Mo so welcome to the club. I was with AT&T When the first iPhone came out and had unlimited, until about maybe 5 years ago. Did they ever put any restrictions or up the price or anything? Throttling? Anything? Or did they keep it truly unlimited forever?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It was unlimited (with no tethering) for as long as I had it. Then again I never went over 20gb a month. A couple of 18-19 months. It never close to a cap if there was ever one. I think they warned me of throttling once or twice but I never saw it. They bumped unlimited data by $5 last year then did it again this year so that's what made me switch.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

So even if you were grandfathered in they raised your bill?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They specifically went after the grandfathered plans. Raised them (and waived ETF if you wanted to leave for 60 days). They went ahead and did it again last month so the plan (after taxes) was over $90.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

That's bullshit. Part of the grandfathering, to me, meant price protection. Glad I left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why would they let you keep your plan forever at the same price you signed up for originally?