Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Also fyi, this thread is very good at identification, so feel free to post your questions here anytime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I lived in Gainesville, FL, I knew a lady from Scotland, and she couldn't get over 1) how loving big the bugs in Florida get, and 2) the fact lizards are everywhere.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

whiteyfats posted:

When I lived in Gainesville, FL, I knew a lady from Scotland, and she couldn't get over 1) how loving big the bugs in Florida get, and 2) the fact lizards are everywhere.

First time I went birding in Florida I was instantly driven nuts by the fact that their flying bugs were bigger than hummingbirds. I also spent several days trying to figure out what these drat noisy birds in the trees that I could never see were (Cicadas).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

whiteyfats posted:

Summer 2015 I spent doing fieldwork in a peatbog in Alberta, and one of the field assistants had recently moved to Canada from Trinidad. She was very surprised that there were no lizards around.

Also yeah, Florida insects get enormous.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

To be fair, most of the lizards you see in Florida are going to be invasive brown anoles or non-native house geckos. If Florida were more ecologically pure, you'd usually only see lizards if you were walking in more wild areas. When I go looking for reptiles and amphibians in Florida in the state and national forests, I see lizards but they aren't everywhere.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 3, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OneTwentySix posted:

To be fair, most of the lizards you see in Florida are going to be invasive brown anoles or non-native house geckos. If Florida were more ecologically pure, you'd usually only see lizards if you were walking in more wild areas. When I go looking for reptiles and amphibians in Florida in the state and national forests, I see lizards but they aren't everywhere.

A green anole came to visit me while I was playing BF1 the other day. He hung out on the windowsill for about ten minutes, caught an ant, and then mosey'd on.

:3:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OneTwentySix posted:

There's a five lined skink who lives under my steps who's pretty cool.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I haven't been outside in a while but here's a picture of a jellyfish that lives in Monterey

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found a worm(?) I've never seen before. It's been raining, so I guess that drove it out like other worms? (Central Arkansas)

https://youtu.be/dUiuDSytooE
(Sorry it's in portrait mode I am dumb and don't know how to rotate it.)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ewww that looks like a parasite kind of thing!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that absolutely is one of the types of worms that are parasites to certain insects

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Definitely looks like a horsehair worm, but I have no idea what an adult would be doing on land.

I haven't found anything about how they get into herbivores like crickets and cockroaches, but those are their most common hosts. Apparently crickets and cockroaches and the like will scavenge dead mosquitoes and mayflies, so that's how they get them.

Good news:

quote:

Horsehair worms are harmless to vertebrates, because they can't parasitize people, livestock, pets, or birds. They also don't infect plants. If humans ingest the worms, they may encounter some mild discomfort of the intestinal tract, but infection never occurs.
Spoilers for :nms:

e: goddamnit, nemetomorpha are now a distinct phylum from nematoda. Stop changing, taxonomy! :argh:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 7, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Burrowing owls, watching the sunset.

A (very) slightly better picture.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Burrowing owls, watching the sunset.

Dad, get me a burrow owl for Christmas. I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Psycho Society posted:

I was trying to find some photos of wild turkeys I thought I saved, but can only find ducks.

These two ducks were hanging out together, I assume they are a couple. Crazily colored ducks like these two were with a bunch of others like normal mallards. Why are some ducks white like this? Are they some kind of domestic breed? Wild? The white one definitely didn't seem like an albino, its eyes weren't red. This was at a pond inside a park by the way.

Regy Rusty posted:

Possibly leucism, the other less well known type of condition involving loss of pigment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism

Or it might be something else, I'm not a duck expert

Yeah it's leucism. I took some photos of a leucistic hooded crow in Finland August 2015:

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 14, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gopher tortoise having a chill day, taken on my phone because I'm an idiot and only remember to bring a camera when I'm diving.

Plus the baby snake that nipped me last year. Still not 100% sure what kind it was, couple people said water mocassin but to me it looks like a brown water snake, which is supported by the fact that I still have a leg.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

There are these birds that come chill on my balcony sometimes but I can never get a picture of them. I don't have a nice camera, but I do have some nice binoculars and I can hook my phone up to them to get pretty decent pics, it's just that in the time it takes to do that the birds have always flown away. :smith:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A little while ago my dogs freaked the gently caress out outside and it turned out my possum friend was out there cleaning up around the birdfeeder

he just sat up on the rail in the open for a couple of minutes beholding the two excited hounds going nuts inches away from him before slowly shuffling a few feet over to hide behind this little bit of branch, which i guess he deemed to be adequate camouflage because he sat right there pretending to be a branch until I'd rounded up the dogs and the coast was clear

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Look how fat that opossum is! No wonder it has given up on trying.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Abyssal Squid posted:

Definitely looks like a horsehair worm, but I have no idea what an adult would be doing on land.

I haven't found anything about how they get into herbivores like crickets and cockroaches, but those are their most common hosts. Apparently crickets and cockroaches and the like will scavenge dead mosquitoes and mayflies, so that's how they get them.

Good news:
Spoilers for :nms:

e: goddamnit, nemetomorpha are now a distinct phylum from nematoda. Stop changing, taxonomy! :argh:

Haven't they been a separate phylum for a while now? Pretty sure Colin Tudge had them separate phylum in the Variety of Life, and that book is over ten years old. (Still a great book, Tudge is a wonderful writer, even if it's a bit out of late now.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's silly, possum. You're silly. :kimchi:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

whiteyfats posted:

Haven't they been a separate phylum for a while now? Pretty sure Colin Tudge had them separate phylum in the Variety of Life, and that book is over ten years old. (Still a great book, Tudge is a wonderful writer, even if it's a bit out of late now.)

They were distinct when I took invertebrate zoology back in 2007 and our textbook (Pechenik 5th edition) was published in May 2005. So yeah the distinction is at least that old.

E: looks like it was done in 1919

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 16, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm old, okay >:|

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
More Hawaii pics! This time it's non-gecko lizards (I have more than enough of geckos to justify an individual post).

Inquisitive anole.

This anole found its way through our mosquito net but couldn't get out. I provided some much unappreciated assistance.

Spot the skink!

A better view.

Napping near a warm vent.

I'm trying to sleep here!

Man, anoles always look so suspicious.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

solid opossum is back!!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Remember when they said that depraved inter-species love was the next thing coming after gay marriage? Well, it's happening! I saw my first collared dove a couple of years ago and they've since infiltrated the usual mourning dove/pigeon social gatherings. Now there's an inter-species pair hanging about, no doubt intent on filling the world with ungodly hybrids:

Maybe I'll have some :downs: hybrid babbies this spring

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Here's a crow(?) in Budapest:

It looked like a crow, but wasn't all black.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

its all nice on rice posted:

Here's a crow(?) in Budapest:

It looked like a crow, but wasn't all black.

Looks like a Hooded Crow possibly. Corvids in Eurasia can be very different than America.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
North American crows are all black, but the rest of the world has multi-coloured / multi-toned corvids galore.

This thread sees a regular trickle of Yanquis / Canucks visiting Europe and posting pictures of "looks like a crow but it's not all black". Don't feel bad, I (:canada:) did a big double-take the first time I went to Europe. Also, the alarm call of Euro Blackbirds is extremely similar to the "oh poo poo a cat" call of American Robins - they're in the same genus and if you ignore the colour differences they're basically the same bird.

Biogeographic tourism is the best tourism.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Caterpillar showed up in the garbage today, munching on cilantro stems, looks like some kind of yellow underwing? Those are awful pests but it's cute. :shobon:

ExecuDork posted:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-OpFjHRbE

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haha that last panel was me when I visited Australia last year.

It didn't last long though because they are just that terrible.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yay, new Critterquest thread :neckbeard:

I'm an entomologist and decent at ballpark identifications for insects and other land inverebrates.

If you want a critter identified, you need to provide a location. Doesn't need to be detailed, just something like "I found this weird bug in Pleasant Hill, MO last July, anyone know what is is?"

bugguide.net is a great resource for all kinds of US/Canada insects.

Happy Critterquesting, everyone!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

ExecuDork posted:

North American crows are all black, but the rest of the world has multi-coloured / multi-toned corvids galore.

This thread sees a regular trickle of Yanquis / Canucks visiting Europe and posting pictures of "looks like a crow but it's not all black". Don't feel bad, I (:canada:) did a big double-take the first time I went to Europe. Also, the alarm call of Euro Blackbirds is extremely similar to the "oh poo poo a cat" call of American Robins - they're in the same genus and if you ignore the colour differences they're basically the same bird.

West and south of the former GDR and Scandinavia you will only find black crows though.

They coexist where their ranges border, a few months ago I visited Saxony, where I saw both kind of crows, that was really cool.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

Also fyi, this thread is very good at identification, so feel free to post your questions here anytime!

Oh yeah?! <:mad:>

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick posted:

It's a pubepillar.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

Nobody wants to ID your cat's turds Pick!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pick posted:

You should get that checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sad Doot should really be this thread's mascot.