Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the way that one gets resolved; You want me to read the riot act?

You absolutely certain you want me to read the riot act and deal with this situation however I deem fit?

Alright then... :flipoff:

It's a moment right up there with Sheridan's planned "Sorry your people were assholes" speech after he blew that Centauri battlecruiser to pieces straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Polaron posted:

It's a moment right up there with Sheridan's planned "Sorry your people were assholes" speech after he blew that Centauri battlecruiser to pieces straight to hell.

And if he hadn't been interrupted, he absolutely would have said that speech. "Worth it."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, as much as they can be assholes, I still like the Vorlons. I blame Koch.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, as much as they can be assholes, I still like the Vorlons. I blame Koch.

Kosh 1 owns.

Kosh 2 also owns, but to a much lesser extent.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And if he hadn't been interrupted, he absolutely would have said that speech. "Worth it."

That fight is one of my favorite moments in B5 because it demonstrates just how far the Centauri have fallen at that point: their big bruiser of a warship gets its poo poo wrecked by a civilian station and a squadron of starfighters built by a much younger race.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Milky Moor posted:

Kosh 1 owns.

Kosh 2 also owns, but to a much lesser extent.

God dammit, the Kosh brothers are behind everything :tinfoil:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Polaron posted:

That fight is one of my favorite moments in B5 because it demonstrates just how far the Centauri have fallen at that point: their big bruiser of a warship gets its poo poo wrecked by a civilian station and a squadron of starfighters built by a much younger race.

True, but that civilian station had recently been upgraded with top-of-the-line weaponry. Plus I don't think the Centauri were really taking the station seriously, they were probably being arrogant (also very in character and fitting for the Centauri!). The salvo which did hit took out one of the dock forks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Babylon station is never a civilian station; it's always been a military outpost foremost and a diplomatic/free port after that. :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Babylon station is never a civilian station; it's always been a military outpost foremost and a diplomatic/free port after that. :psyduck:

How the hell did you get that? The whole point of the Babylon Project was a place for diplomacy and free trade. Hell, it's mentioned in the first two season's opening credits.

It's a joint project between the five member races (which is why they sit on the Council) with an EA presence for general operational control and defense.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How the hell did you get that? The whole point of the Babylon Project was a place for diplomacy and free trade. Hell, it's mentioned in the first two season's opening credits.

It's a joint project between the five member races (which is why they sit on the Council) with an EA presence for general operational control and defense.

Well yeah, but...

The Earth Alliance hadn't just added a defense grid, they just upgraded a defense grid. B5 was already armed. The station saw off a minor race cruiser handily in S1, with an upgrade punking a Centauri warship isn't at all out of its capabilities.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mllaneza posted:

Well yeah, but...

The Earth Alliance hadn't just added a defense grid, they just upgraded a defense grid. B5 was already armed. The station saw off a minor race cruiser handily in S1, with an upgrade punking a Centauri warship isn't at all out of its capabilities.

That was because of Clark's Earth-first politics and issues with Raiders. B5 saw a lot of close calls in its first year of operation.

Also why the gently caress would you leave a quarter of a million people floating in space without basic defenses for raiders, debris or meteors? The original defense grid's point was to see off the local opportunistic Raiders and pop incoming missiles.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was because of Clark's Earth-first politics and issues with Raiders. B5 saw a lot of close calls in its first year of operation.

Also why the gently caress would you leave a quarter of a million people floating in space without basic defenses for raiders, debris or meteors? The original defense grid's point was to see off the local opportunistic Raiders and pop incoming missiles.

I remember reading, although I don't think this is mentioned in the series itself, that the station was unusually well-armed because of the fates of the previous 4. Still, it's kind of like the UN building sinking an aircraft carrier. But then maybe it could if it was in the middle of nowhere without much backup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Was it ever explicit in the novels or anything what happened to Babylons 1-3 or are we supposed to assume the Shadows blew all of them up like they were going to do to Babylon 4?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Was it ever explicit in the novels or anything what happened to Babylons 1-3 or are we supposed to assume the Shadows blew all of them up like they were going to do to Babylon 4?

Pretty much exactly that. All we know is they got bombed during construction, and given what you see when they deal with Babylon 4 it's not hard to wager who was behind the other attacks.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty much exactly that. All we know is they got bombed during construction, and given what you see when they deal with Babylon 4 it's not hard to wager who was behind the other attacks.

Wow.

This seems incredibly obvious and I feel dumb, but even after War Without End, I never thought to question the official line that it was terrorists. I believed FAKE NEWS. Sad!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dirty posted:

I remember reading, although I don't think this is mentioned in the series itself, that the station was unusually well-armed because of the fates of the previous 4. Still, it's kind of like the UN building sinking an aircraft carrier. But then maybe it could if it was in the middle of nowhere without much backup.

Grand Fromage posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sort of.

Babylons 1, 2 and 3 were all destroyed during construction. 2 and 3 were definitely sabotaged but I think Babylon 1 might have been an accident during construction (In The Beginning novel, I think). Babylon 4 was the biggest, most expensive station, which is why the Minbari wanted it during their war. (it could also move, which was due to Dirty's point, that the EA didn't want the project to be hosed up again). B5 was actually made using leftover parts and salvage from its predecessors, was the smallest of the five, and required substantial assistance from the Minbari and Centauri governments. I don't think B5's defence grid is ever stated as being particularly special either way, at least not until it is upgraded in Season 2.

edit: Actually, Grail points out that B1 was sabotaged during construction as well, and it's implied that the culprits of that particular act were never found.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 27, 2017

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While this is certainly true, I always assumed the only reason the Shadows went after B4 was because they recognized it from the last war.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Polaron posted:

While this is certainly true, I always assumed the only reason the Shadows went after B4 was because they recognized it from the last war.

I don't think the Shadows were awake and operating at that point in the timeline. I always thought the losses of B1-3 were the result of, like, Homeguard-types in the EA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Polaron posted:

I never thought about it before it was brought up just now really, but think about it it; the last thing the Shadows would want is the younger racers unifying, or even co-operating to any extensive degree, which is exactly what a place like a Babylon station would almost certainly achieve.

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think the Shadows were awake and operating at that point in the timeline. I always thought the losses of B1-3 were the result of, like, Homeguard-types in the EA.

They've always had agents in play, even if they themselves weren't active. Why do you think Humans suddenly gained Telepaths a mere couple of centuries prior to the show?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never thought about it before it was brought up just now really, but think about it it; the last thing the Shadows would want is the younger racers unifying, or even co-operating to any extensive degree, which is exactly what a place like a Babylon station would almost certainly achieve.

They've always had agents in play, even if they themselves weren't active. Why do you think Humans suddenly gained Telepaths a mere couple of centuries prior to the show?

I thought Telepaths were a result of the Vorlons messing around with the younger races, not the Shadows.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was the Vorlons. The Shadows were asleep/dormant until the Icarus woke them up. The relationship between the Vorlons, Shadows and Psi Corp is illustrated further in that particular trilogy.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
JMS confirmed that the Shadows' allies destroyed the first three stations, though it's never explicitly said on the show.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the way that one gets resolved; You want me to read the riot act?

You absolutely certain you want me to read the riot act and deal with this situation however I deem fit?

Alright then... :flipoff:

There were a couple of times where it looked like something bad was going to happen to the protagonists but it turned out to be a trick, like Refa and G'Kar in "And the Rock Cried Out" or when it looked like Sheridan's career was over in "Rising Star." I can't be a captain any more? Fine, I'll just be president of the galaxy!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For the longest time, I really resented the relative moral simplicity of the conflict with the shadows, especially in comparison to how complex the rest of the show was. The shadows really seemed like plain ol' bad guys ruining things for little reason other than that's what they do.

Kicking out the Vorlons at the end of it added a little to the complexity of it all, but it didn't quite make up for things.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the longest time, I really resented the relative moral simplicity of the conflict with the shadows, especially in comparison to how complex the rest of the show was. The shadows really seemed like plain ol' bad guys ruining things for little reason other than that's what they do.

Kicking out the Vorlons at the end of it added a little to the complexity of it all, but it didn't quite make up for things.

While I never liked the idea of an entire race dedicating itself to one sole purpose (and warring with another race who also has a sole purpose), it was made up for by the other characters having to clean up their mess.

The climax isn't the Vorlons and the Shadows leaving, it's the final battle over Earth.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I seem to recall in the commentaries, JMS says when the Shadows got their chance to talk with Sheridan and try to convince him of their point of view, he expected about a third of the fans to sympathize and agree with their philosophy, and he says that's about what he saw on the message boards. It's not that black and white, and while it was shortly before the end the Vorlons were openly revealed as also being wrong, they were always shrouded in mystery and hints of something sinister and unsympathetic. No ships entering their space ever return, and as far back as Kosh's self-revelation while rescuing Sheridan from free-fall, they were shown to have been outright manipulating the younger races for millennia, and even earlier Kosh's ship just summarily blows something up (I forget the details at the moment) and everyone's like :stare: but what are we gonna do about it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
His ship blew up the Dilgar war criminal and her immortality serum, before Earth forces could scoop 'em up. Shadows would have thought the kinks she built into that stuff were hilarious.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bieeardo posted:

His ship blew up the Dilgar war criminal and her immortality serum, before Earth forces could scoop 'em up. Shadows would have thought the kinks she built into that stuff were hilarious.

Ohhh, yeah, that's right. That's way early in season 1 isn't it?

Anyway I think, on reflection, a race of strong telepaths could be more unified in a way we can't fully comprehend. Maybe they're not quite hive minds but they're probably something like the Founders in DS9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Ohhh, yeah, that's right. That's way early in season 1 isn't it?

That's also the same episode, I believe, in which Kosh tricks Talia into copying all of her memories into a recording droid, who then gives Kosh the data crystal. I don't think that's ever fully explained. Unless Kosh somehow knew that Talia was a Psi-Corps spy and wanted to be able to blackmail her if necessary.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Timby posted:

That's also the same episode, I believe, in which Kosh tricks Talia into copying all of her memories into a recording droid, who then gives Kosh the data crystal. I don't think that's ever fully explained. Unless Kosh somehow knew that Talia was a Psi-Corps spy and wanted to be able to blackmail her if necessary.

That's one of those plots that had to go unused because the actress left, iirc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I believe the spoilered portion was going to happen either way, but the backup made in that episode would have been used to restore her as she followed what more or less became Lyta's arc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I believe the spoilered portion was going to happen either way, but the backup made in that episode would have been used to restore her as she followed what more or less became Lyta's arc.

That's my understanding, as well. And then of course Jerry Doyle had to be a drunk jackass and run Thompson off the show following their breakup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Timby posted:

Actually the word of god on that one was that the point of it was to make a backup of Talia's mind in case her sleeper agent personality got activated. That way she could be restored to her former self.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Timby posted:

Kosh 1 wasn't really into blackmail like that. He liked the Younger Races, after all, and was generally a pretty good guy.

Especially compared to the rest of the squids.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kosh Classic > Cherry Kosh

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

We are all Cool Ranch Kosh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the word of god on that one was that the point of it was to make a backup of Talia's mind in case her sleeper agent personality got activated. That way she could be restored to her former self.

Her koshback guarantee, if you will.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My memory on the timeline is a little fuzzy, does Kosh the first die before or after Talia's sleeper personality is activated?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hangedman1984 posted:

My memory on the timeline is a little fuzzy, does Kosh the first die before or after Talia's sleeper personality is activated?

Well after.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One of the things I laud B5 for is rolling with the punches of making a serialized TV show. So, your lead has some serious mental health issues, so you need a new lead. Roll with the punches and be better. So, two of your supports got divorced and one of them has some serious mental health issues, roll with the punches and hire a cute red head to distract the crazy man. So, you're getting cancelled a season early. Find a way to make it satisfying. So, you've got a superfluous season, call me Francisco Scaramonga because that third nipple was kinda weird at first but really grows on you after a while as a nice coda.

It's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

One of the things I laud B5 for is rolling with the punches of making a serialized TV show. So, your lead has some serious mental health issues, so you need a new lead. Roll with the punches and be better. So, two of your supports got divorced and one of them has some serious mental health issues, roll with the punches and hire a cute red head to distract the crazy man. So, you're getting cancelled a season early. Find a way to make it satisfying. So, you've got a superfluous season, call me Francisco Scaramonga because that third nipple was kinda weird at first but really grows on you after a while as a nice coda.

It's good stuff.

Yeah, I've always been pretty impressed at how well they were able to deal with unplanned stuff and usually managing to make them seem like they were the plan the entire time..