Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Consumer Reports has their annual ratings for cell plans out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
my reaction when trying to read that

:pwn:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

EugeneJ posted:

Consumer Reports has their annual ratings for cell plans out:

Gut reaction is that this is in the ballpark when comparing one carrier to another.

A little confused with the overall workup though, as trying to replicate my Cricket plan on Ting would cost infinite dollars. Looking at only my current data and my usual text/voice usage is like $100/mo compared to $45 w/ autopay on Cricket.

People on contract plans seems to have very low expectations / not know the grass is greener.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I straight up tell people I get 20GB for $55 on Cricket and they're a little envious (or as envious as one can get with regard to phone plans which isn't much at all) unless they're grandfathered in on an unlimited plan. I don't think my experience with Fi is representative of their overall level of service (hell I don't think it's entirely their fault but I couldn't just wait for it to resolve either) but Cricket has been hella good for all sorts of reasons and it'd be hard to get me to switch. I typically use less than 5 GB a month but dropping down to a lower tier on Cricket isn't really substantial savings when I'm giving up the "just in case" factor of having 20GB available. Sure unlimited would only be $10 more but there's still no tethering option.

Now if I could swing 5-10 GB with tethering included for the same $55 I'd be happy. Fi sort of got there, the data allotment was a little lower than I'd consider ideal but the crediting for unused data probably evens it out. Problem is there was some major issue with Cricket customers (I.e. my whole family) being able to reach me on my GV/Fi number. Switching it back to GV fixed everything and they're crediting back what I paid. Fi, ya done good by me even if it didn't work out.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is Republic Wireless on that list. Doesn't it use lovely Sprint signal?

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

whatever7 posted:

Why is Republic Wireless on that list. Doesn't it use lovely Sprint signal?
They offer service on T-Mobile for their new subscribers. People with older plans are on Sprint.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am sure Tmobile Sprint merger will be approved soon.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I switched my dad recently to Consumer Cellular and it's been great for him. I was going to switch him to Cricket, but if he has problems with the service, the only Cricket locations around here are in the hood. Consumer Cellular has a deal with Target where you can just go there for assistance.

For old people who don't use data - highest recommendation. I made sure they put him on AT&T's towers too since I've heard they use either that or T-Mobile. His bill last month was like $16.00 with his AARP discount.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My rotation of daily drivers

All of them are activated on freedompop's freemium plan, link to the same google voice account. Each phone gets 1-1.3GB of free data per month. That last me for about 5-7 days. 3 phone should be enough for the whole month but I throw in a cheap ZTE just in case. The tiny Samsung Rush is activated on Ting's 100m voice only plan since Ting is giving out free $35 credit to ring+ users. I added it because I was worry I couldn't receive call on Freedompop's VOIP signal. So far I have found I have no problem receiving calls on FP, the voice quality is not bad either. I *think* FP fall back on regular CDMA signal when data connection is bad I am not sure. Nobody uses voice in 2017 anyway.

The only other annoyance is If I call back from a FP phone, I can't not make it route through the Google voice dialer and display my GV number. The work around is go to voice.google.com on your brower and make call that way, google will call you first and then patch the call to the caller. Add the browser address shortcut on desktop and it works fine.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 10, 2017

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I tried to move my mother over to Cricket Wireless, I must hate myself really really really badly.

They couldn't complete the port (info was 100% correct), kept telling me "were just waiting on due date and due time, it will be done by 9, then it will be done by 10". 8:39AM today and nothing. Oh but hey since my account isn't working now is the perfect time to upsell me on some great Cricket Wireless products.

I'd rather put my nuts in a vice. How does this company make money with support this poor? I couldn't even setup an account with them using a universal sim kit. Good lord.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I tried to move my mother over to Cricket Wireless, I must hate myself really really really badly.

They couldn't complete the port (info was 100% correct), kept telling me "were just waiting on due date and due time, it will be done by 9, then it will be done by 10". 8:39AM today and nothing. Oh but hey since my account isn't working now is the perfect time to upsell me on some great Cricket Wireless products.

I'd rather put my nuts in a vice. How does this company make money with support this poor? I couldn't even setup an account with them using a universal sim kit. Good lord.

For the most part, it's one of those things that works great when you don't need support. That isn't some pithy throwaway or anything, they offer outstanding plans for the price (slightly less so with T-Mobile scaring the poo poo out of the postpaid carriers these days) and for what it's worth their support is far beyond the America Movil brands (that's not saying much though).

That said, once you need support, you find out where they make up for the low pricing :v:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

For the most part, it's one of those things that works great when you don't need support. That isn't some pithy throwaway or anything, they offer outstanding plans for the price (slightly less so with T-Mobile scaring the poo poo out of the postpaid carriers these days) and for what it's worth their support is far beyond the America Movil brands (that's not saying much though).

That said, once you need support, you find out where they make up for the low pricing :v:

My issue was support just getting my account to work (which isn't at this point and the Samsung J3 is free over at Verizon, so issue fixed with that). They sure did charge my credit card, which I have a feeling will be a fight to get back so I'll likely just have to do a charge back.

Honestly I am glad I experienced this before the port in would even complete, I can't imagine having to deal with another issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Problems with number porting are almost always on the part of the old carrier, not the new one.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Problems with number porting are almost always on the part of the old carrier, not the new one.

Understood, but this is AT&T to AT&T basically. I provided the details exactly as they were needed (I've ported over 8 lines with zero issue to Verizon) and as of this point nothing is working. Cricket "support" refuses to tell me anything but "we're waiting on a due date and due time" and if I push them for more they just tell me to wait longer.

Ports with the correct information are almost instant. Having to wait 10-15 minutes every time I need to reach cricket "support" is miserable. If they had decent enough support it would be another matter entirely, but they don't. Oh well, just wanted to vent.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You probably put an extra 1 or - in your account number or whatever.

Anyway port your number to google voice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

You probably put an extra 1 or - in your account number or whatever.

Anyway port your number to google voice.

Nope, I verified with them that the info was correct.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last I heard, MMS didn't work if you ported your number to google voice.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Boogalo posted:

Google Voice works with MMS now.

https://blog.google/products/google-voice/ringing-2017-updates-our-google-voice-apps/

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Cricket: Did you do it online or in person? I did it in person, and my new phone was working before I left the mall kiosk.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Understood, but this is AT&T to AT&T basically.

Oh one of the big three carriers is refusing to be sensible? How odd. /sarcasm

Getting a Big Three carrier to let you go the first time is often a hassle. Verizon was still claiming they didn't have to unlock numbers, and Sprint prepaid claimed it was illegal to switch carriers, before I got Cricket to do mine. Once your number is free, you'll never have that problem again. Google Voice is better at freeing numbers, as is going to a reputable mall kiosk where the guy can "call his friend" who will fix your number.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

revdrkevind posted:

Cricket: Did you do it online or in person? I did it in person, and my new phone was working before I left the mall kiosk.

Oh one of the big three carriers is refusing to be sensible? How odd. /sarcasm

Getting a Big Three carrier to let you go the first time is often a hassle. Verizon was still claiming they didn't have to unlock numbers, and Sprint prepaid claimed it was illegal to switch carriers, before I got Cricket to do mine. Once your number is free, you'll never have that problem again. Google Voice is better at freeing numbers, as is going to a reputable mall kiosk where the guy can "call his friend" who will fix your number.

I've never had a hassle like this and I've switched carriers numerous times. In fact I just ported 7 lines from AT&T to Verizon without a hiccup (well, the Verizon rep forgot to get the old account number but that was fixed easily with LNP) and 1 from T-Mobile. This was done online, the process broke at the end so I was working with reps to complete it which they all have been incapable of doing.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My only issue moving from ntelos to cricket was I ordered the sim on cricket's website and they immediately ported the number so I was without phone until the sim arrived in a couple of days. A coworker moved from verizon and something got super hosed up with his cricket account to the point it had to go all the way to a database engineer before his stuff worked.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Nope, I verified with them that the info was correct.
If you have a store near you, go in. The people working there are probably 17 year old idiots but at least they have the ability to call the magic number for reseller support and fix a number port while you stand there. Same thing happened to me and the stoners at the local Cricket place had it sorted in about 5 minutes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

If you have a store near you, go in. The people working there are probably 17 year old idiots but at least they have the ability to call the magic number for reseller support and fix a number port while you stand there. Same thing happened to me and the stoners at the local Cricket place had it sorted in about 5 minutes.

This is fairly solid advice. While it shouldn't be the case (I.e. you should be helped properly and your issue should be able to be resolved by calling the support line) it does wonders regardless of carrier to get the reseller or retailer on board with your issue. Even if your local authorized reseller is a shady-looking store that reeks of cheap cigarette smoke brought in on the breeze, the fact that there's some amount of "authority" being applied to your problem will go a long way toward having it fixed.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Does anyone know if Walmart Family Mobile does WiFi calling? In my house neither ATT nor Tmobile work for phone calls and I'd like to get WiFi calling but it seems I can't easily get a Tmo prepaid sim in time.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boogalo posted:

It sends the picture to your email address.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

whatever7 posted:

It sends the picture to your email address.

Not anymore. It's all in the Voice app (and shows up on the web) now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nimper posted:

Not anymore. It's all in the Voice app (and shows up on the web) now.

I wouldn't know, I got 2 MMS i like 10 years. MMS is like sending pictures in Morse Code.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Syrinxx posted:

I moved my mom over to our Verizon plan since it isn't much more and it's unlimited. The irony of it all is that the Verizon local number portability center connected me to a very helpful gentlemen with Cricket who could have actually fixed everything the first time around, however you can't reach people like that by normal means.

The port was stuck in some weird limbo (they verified my account info was correct). He just canceled the port and then we ported to Verizon within a minute or two.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, support is one of the major prices you pay for moving to an MVNO. With Cricket, you can dig up the secret zendesk email from reddit/r/nocontract or howardforums at least.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, support is one of the major prices you pay for moving to an MVNO. With Cricket, you can dig up the secret zendesk email from reddit/r/nocontract or howardforums at least.

Good to know! It worked out price wise on verizon due to the "free" phone she got .. otherwise I would have had to fight with Cricket and eventually (hopefully) get stuff worked out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also had the "your account information could not be verified" error when trying to port to Cricket from AT&T last month. Went with Ting instead - no problems.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a race to the bottom - Cricket has dropped their Unlimited plan to $55:

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/news-releases?item=122578

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

EugeneJ posted:

It's a race to the bottom - Cricket has dropped their Unlimited plan to $55:

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/news-releases?item=122578

Hmmm, kind of a double-edged sword for them since I was previously locked in to the $55 20GB plan and reluctant to switch. I guess now I can check out some of the unlimited plans with tethering without worrying about losing anything.

EDIT: Looks like you get de-prioritized at 12 GB now, so technically the 20 GB plan is still better, but eh, I can live with that tradeoff.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ChadSexington posted:

Hmmm, kind of a double-edged sword for them since I was previously locked in to the $55 20GB plan and reluctant to switch. I guess now I can check out some of the unlimited plans with tethering without worrying about losing anything.

It looks like the $55 plan doesn't include Tethering and you have to add it for an extra $10

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

EugeneJ posted:

It looks like the $55 plan doesn't include Tethering and you have to add it for an extra $10

Did the special 20 GB plan ever include tethering in the first place? Whenever I try to set it up on my iPhone it prompted me to go to the website and sign up for it.

Regardless, that's something I hadn't considered - Cricket Unlimited (or my grandfathered 20GB plan) at 55 + tethering at 10 per month is still cheaper than all the major players' unlimited offerings except for Sprint. Might be worth checking out the tethering restrictions before jumping ship.

ChadSexington fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 2, 2017

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

It's been years since I've used a smartphone that didn't have tethering baked-in to the OS as a standard feature. I don't plan to switch from T-Mobile to Cricket, but I'm curious since the topic's raised.

Does Cricket actually detect tethering to other mobile devices? Assuming you aren't using it for your PC connection or a server etc, I've never had a hassle tethering to other mobile-OS devices on T-Mobile. Or is all the Cricket tether chat about carrier-supplied phones with weird modifications or limits?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

sweart gliwere posted:

It's been years since I've used a smartphone that didn't have tethering baked-in to the OS as a standard feature. I don't plan to switch from T-Mobile to Cricket, but I'm curious since the topic's raised.

Does Cricket actually detect tethering to other mobile devices? Assuming you aren't using it for your PC connection or a server etc, I've never had a hassle tethering to other mobile-OS devices on T-Mobile. Or is all the Cricket tether chat about carrier-supplied phones with weird modifications or limits?

All I know is FoxFi was blocked when I tried it once. Haven't looked for workarounds because it's not a big issue for me.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

sweart gliwere posted:

Newer operating systems actually check to see that tethering is "enabled" either on the network or on the sim card (I don't remember exactly how it works). But when you try to turn it on you just see a message telling you to have your carrier enable it for you (for $$ of course).

Yes, some devices still bypass this but are becoming fewer and fewer. And I'm talking about all devices, unlocked and purchased from the carrier.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

SB35 posted:

Newer operating systems actually check to see that tethering is "enabled" either on the network or on the sim card (I don't remember exactly how it works). But when you try to turn it on you just see a message telling you to have your carrier enable it for you (for $$ of course).

Yes, some devices still bypass this but are becoming fewer and fewer. And I'm talking about all devices, unlocked and purchased from the carrier.

Oh, good/bad to know. I think Android 4.3 did that, but I haven't had any trouble since either 4.4 or 5.0 and after. Is it a 7 thing, or what? Sorry if it's not the right thread, but I've been letting friends and family know that Cricket's just AT&T without the fluff for a while.

I'd been assuming the buy-unlocked stock nexus/pixel/iphones were all like that :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Non root method doesn't work, your carrier can definitely block tethering.

Root your phone and run Wifi Tether Router. Works on every phone and every carrier I use. Ok it doesn't work on that one bastardized $10 ZTE phone but it works on 99% of the android phones.