Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i'd be pretty surprised if an algorithm written by a programmer could capture and effectively communicate even the zeitgeist of the times in a contemporary and appropriate way through either text or music that surpasses artists who usually have no procedure, or any set method at all, for doing what they do and often only explain their process in like the vaguest of terms - i don't think a programmer could translate any of that into procedural binary

pretty sure a programmer would shrug and just make an algorithm that plays ad libs with a thesaurus and tv tropes pages

Jastiger posted:

My PHUO is that a lot of times you're just going to have to say gently caress them and move on. It isn't worth it to grind it out with someone that thinks Obama is a Muslim if after 8 years they still think so. We aren't goign to "get to where they are" they are just a racist idiot and deserving of every level of contempt we can muster.

i agree that it can be frustrating but at least in grinding something out you're compiling and corroborating evidence to create a compelling argument, one that could probably outlast you if you're keeping a physical record of it somewhere - i know people get upset that there are these 'zombie myths' or whatever that keep rising back from the dead after they've been refuted once or twice but so what? the truth is something you need to put effort into maintaining and it's not something you establish once and for all because there are a lot of people in the world and in the end our stay is always temporary; at minimum good ideas need to be refreshed generationally - you don't see educators complaining that every year they have to teach the same coursework over and over again even tho all the effort isn't denting the problem of childhood ignorance and it's like new kids who don't know anything keep popping up

anyway i doubt it's the same people who keep peddling stuff like obama is a muslim! year after year unless it's like someone who has a shady reason for doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Elvis is overrated

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sometimes you'll see former racists/homophobes/bigots make a turn and acknowledge they were wrong. But now they want a pat on the back and more recognition for not being an rear end in a top hat. Well, what about me? I never hurt anyone or told anyone how to live their life. Give me a book deal.

People like Leah Remini and the former Westboro members should gently caress off. Yeah you left your cult or whatever but why should people like you now?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

We could, you know, FUND ART

You don't need to fund art if you have a strong social security system in place.

Let robots and a few industrious types do the vital stuff, while everyone else gets live as they see fit instead of choosing between working in a callcentre and death.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

We Know Catheters posted:

Elvis is overrated

The Beatles are under rated

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Jastiger posted:

Edit: While it can be nauseating at times to hear the "Hollywood Elite" get political during Oscars/Emmy's/Academy's, so loving what. They have a large platform and loud voice and they have an opportunity to perhaps effect some change. Its no different than a plumber or carpenter ranting about politics at the local coffee shop so chill the gently caress out. I guaran-drat-tee if these celebrities were gushing about Trump they'd have it front and center on Fox News every day instead of a collective eye roll since they happen to be progressive.

We have a reality star as President and once had a middling B-movie actor as President. Conservatives just hate that most of Hollywood is liberal; they like celebrities like most people but they're stuck with the likes of Scott Baio, Tom Arnold, and Rob Schneider instead of Meryl Streep or Tom Hanks.

My Unpopular Opinion, especially since yesterday: Twister is a total turd of a movie that has the benefit of being seen through Nostalgia Themed Glasses, especially since Paxton died. I do admit Bill Paxton wasn't terrible but he has tons of other better roles and movies to gush over. Just because something came out during your childhood and you happened to like it as a child doesn't automatically make a good movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Twister is still entertaining today. There's nothing special about it though. I put it in the class of movies I'll watch if they are on and nothing better is but would not go out of my way to watch, like Dante's Peak/Tin Cup/etc. Not "good" movies but not bad.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember being upset that my folks took me to see Twister when i was 10. Everyone laughed at the cow scene though.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Elvis is overrated

I used to think the same thing until I heard this song (which I'd never heard before) at random on some SiriusXM channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTMm4NEQc1Q

After hearing it, I could see why people in the fifties thought he was charismatic and a heartthrob (aside from the older folks who thought it was the Devil's music). Dude could sing.

I'd only heard his top hits that are played ad nauseum, and those songs are boring. His B-sides and country stuff is ace. Plus, his sixties and seventies output is fun once you start hearing more of it. I'm still not a huge Elvis fan, but I can appreciate the man and his music and what he did for the music world, so I no longer consider him overrated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

People like Leah Remini and the former Westboro members should gently caress off. Yeah you left your cult or whatever but why should people like you now?

People are interested in Leah Remini because she's got an extremely rare thing, honest information about the inner workings of Scientology. That's something that very few people are willing to discuss to the public.

I do agree that former racists shouldn't be getting articles written about them and poo poo like that, but her situation is different.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

We could, you know, FART

im doing that right now

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

im doing that right now

Hehehh cool, me too! :thumbsup:

Twister is entertaining as hell. When people defend it, theyre not trying to say that it's actually a good movie that deserved an Oscar. They're just saying that its really fun and entertaining. Its not a good movie, its pure 90s schlock with lots of dumb science in it. But dang it, its fun to watch. Same thing goes for Waterworld, though that movie is a little overlong and does indeed have some boring parts.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where was Twister shot again?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Where was Twister shot again?

Oklahoma

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
Tea is better than coffee. I think it carries more pretense in the states than coffee does, but since so few people actually drink it daily, I've never heard people argue over whether Tazo is superior to Bigelow or whatever. So I can happily buy a huge box of Tetley for next to nothing and spent like a tenth of what I used to pay for coffee. Also it doesn't give me heartburn.

Expecting abstinence to work for alcoholics is just as stupid as expecting it to work as a form of birth control.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've stopped drinking coffee in lieu of tea since new years unless it's the weekend or I've had an awful nights sleep and it was a wise life decision.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
On every single day off, I make a pot of coffee, and then drink that whole pot of coffee over the day and it's great.

Drink more coffee.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

sassassin posted:

Let robots and a few industrious types do the vital stuff, while everyone else gets live as they see fit instead of choosing between working in a callcentre and death.

maybe with so many robutts running around we'll actually need those callcentres and people working there will have a useful purpose (sorta like now) and be helpful to maintaining the system even if it's not the most enjoyable or stimulating way of spending your time

e:

Tony Bologna posted:

Expecting abstinence to work for alcoholics is just as stupid as expecting it to work as a form of birth control.

i dunno it could be useful to people that have a lot of trouble moderating their use of alcohol for whatever reason, be it dependency or addiction (which is like nearly the raw definition of alcoholic/alcoholism), in the same way that people stay on diets better by just not buying any sweets at all so there's nothing to tempt them into snacking/binging

hard counter has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 27, 2017

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Sometimes you'll see former racists/homophobes/bigots make a turn and acknowledge they were wrong. But now they want a pat on the back and more recognition for not being an rear end in a top hat. Well, what about me? I never hurt anyone or told anyone how to live their life. Give me a book deal.

Yeah people are interested in what people like Leah Remini and Frank Meeink have to say because they know the inner workings of their particular movements and now actively work against them. Despite Meeink having been a total piece of poo poo, you could say that his existence has been a positive net gain for society because he's shined a candid light upon the white supremacist movement.

Someone who would best encapsulate your idea of comeuppance would be Tucker Max who attended a couple self-help groups and whined to some publications about not wanting to be seen as a misogynistic frat bro anymore and expects everyone to now subscribe to this new view of him despite having written three best-selling date-rape manuals and produced a subsequent Hollywood movie based on those exploits.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tony Bologna posted:

I mean, it's definitely not effective if you want people to never try alcohol in the first place, but for some alcoholics they don't have the willpower to try and transition into a healthy drinking habit so their only hope is avoiding it entirely.

That's not to say that never drinking again is highly successful for actual alcoholics, because it's not, but for some it's the only way. I've seen it go both ways in my family - my aunt quit for a few years and thought she was OK to start drinking again socially and a couple years later she's in jail for her 5th DUI in a year and her liver and kidneys are shutting down, whereas my dad has been completely clean for over 20 years. Some people are OK with never drinking again, some aren't. Unfortunately there's no easy quick fix for addiction.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I agree that if you are brought up in an abusive environment, you should remain an un-person for the remainder of your life, no matter how much you may work to leave the past behind.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Heroin addiction is an easy fix next to an addictive personality. I just don't have the capacity to deal with the toxicity of the latter, it's awful.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I agree that if you are brought up in an abusive environment, you should remain an un-person for the remainder of your life, no matter how much you may work to leave the past behind.

Yeah it's weird to be mad at people who were basically raised in a cult like the Westboro kids for denouncing their hateful ideas and getting publicity for it. It's positive for society as a whole to have these accounts of people leaving behind awful ideologies they were indoctrinated into

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elvis is overrated

Question is, by whom is he overrated?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question is, by whom is he overrated?

My grandma was really mad when Bob Dylan beat Elvis #2 to #3 in the greatest music superstars or w/e that Rolling Stone published like a decade ago

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

My grandma was really mad when Bob Dylan beat Elvis #2 to #3 in the greatest music superstars or w/e that Rolling Stone published like a decade ago

Who got number 1?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who got number 1?

Who the hell do you think

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Smashmouth.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
B*Witched, actually, but close

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Who the hell do you think

Well, it's Rolling Stone, so it's inevitably Springsteen. I thought it was sort of silly when Rolling Stone updated their "100 greatest guitarists" list and put Springsteen on it. He's great but I think the's a competent rhythm guitarist at best.

It's like how the NME is incapable of making any "best of" list that doesn't have Noel Gallagher on it in some capacity. I remember this compilation of "Top 10 Albums Ever" lists and it was generally Sgt. Pepper or Pet Sounds at number one (one of them did What's Going On? at number one which I thought was a pleasant surprise) except the NME who put Definitely Maybe first.

Most overrated musician off the top of my head is probably Steven Van Zandt.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The idea of ranking albums or even reviewing music seems way too subjective for anyone to take remotely seriously.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, it's Rolling Stone, so it's inevitably Springsteen. I thought it was sort of silly when Rolling Stone updated their "100 greatest guitarists" list and put Springsteen on it. He's great but I think the's a competent rhythm guitarist at best.

It's like how the NME is incapable of making any "best of" list that doesn't have Noel Gallagher on it in some capacity. I remember this compilation of "Top 10 Albums Ever" lists and it was generally Sgt. Pepper or Pet Sounds at number one (one of them did What's Going On? at number one which I thought was a pleasant surprise) except the NME who put Definitely Maybe first.

Most overrated musician off the top of my head is probably Steven Van Zandt.

Nah it was the Beatles but Springsteen was definitely top 15

I laughed my rear end of when I saw they gave Wrecking Ball a 5-star review though, that album was a flaming dumpster fire and they still had to act like it was golden because Springsteen shat it out

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nah it was the Beatles but Springsteen was definitely top 15

I laughed my rear end of when I saw they gave Wrecking Ball a 5-star review though, that album was a flaming dumpster fire and they still had to act like it was golden because Springsteen shat it out

Wrecking Ball is perfectly fine for what it is but yeah that's what they do. They put John Fogerty's album of duet versions of old CCR songs as close to album of the year.

It's funny how, for what is ostensibly a music magazine, RS is at its worst when covering music (UVA case notwithstanding).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Rolling Stone's list of the 100 greatest singers is generally fine except for John Lennon and maybe Bob Dylan being in the top 10. Again, those guys are good, but I don't think John Lennon should be ranked in the top five when the other four singers there are Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Sam Cooke.

Granted, personally-held opinion (possibly unpopular). :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The idea of ranking albums or even reviewing music seems way too subjective for anyone to take remotely seriously.

Yea. With film it's obvious to say The Godfather is better than Jack and Jill. I think 99% of people would agree. Good luck getting 99% of people to agree on which music is "better."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aaaaaaaand...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Aaaaaaaand...

Alaska?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And also.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Ontario, Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is it supposed to be Iowa? Is your state being victim to humongous tornadoes supposed to be a point in your favor?