Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't believe it took me this long to think of it, and this is going to sound like a weird idea to some. But I've started recording important conference calls with OBS. Just a simple screen and audio capture. 3MB per minute. Not every conference call, not by a long shot - I'm not like the archivist of record here. But I found my mind drifting too many times on these endless phone calls and missing important information. Now, on calls where I think real and relevant information might be shared, I just hit record and have a failsafe. Freakin brilliant, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hobby programming, professional PowerShell scripts, AS in CS. So a little bit and kind of. I need to bust my rear end on this stuff and keep impressing them, but this is what I do for fun when I'm not mentally exhausted from work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hobby programming, professional PowerShell scripts, AS in CS. So a little bit and kind of. I need to bust my rear end on this stuff and keep impressing them, but this is what I do for fun when I'm not mentally exhausted from work.

Like I said, it's a bit outside of my wheelhouse, so I would take my opinion with a grain of salt. If it is your first job/year doing that sort of thing I'd say maybe you're due for a bit of a raise with another bump after a year or so of experience.

[Edit: Looks like 80k is the average for a "SQL Dev" in Denver, although I find that hard to believe - https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/denver-sql-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,6_IM234_KO7,20.htm also https://www.indeed.com/salaries/SQL-Developer-Salaries,-Denver-CO ]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 25, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I know we pay another company for our ERP customizations, they charge $180/hr and usually need a week or two to start depending on how busy they are.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Like I said, it's a bit outside of my wheelhouse, so I would take my opinion with a grain of salt. If it is your first job/year doing that sort of thing I'd say maybe you're due for a bit of a raise with another bump after a year or so of experience.

[Edit: Looks like 80k is the average for a "SQL Dev" in Denver, although I find that hard to believe - https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/denver-sql-developer-salary-SRCH_IL.0,6_IM234_KO7,20.htm also https://www.indeed.com/salaries/SQL-Developer-Salaries,-Denver-CO ]

Duh, I should probably ask in Cavern of COBOL. It shows how much I trust and rely on you guys for career advice, I guess.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I want to redirect around 50 domain names to 5 different actual sites, without involving the web dev for these sites. (We own the sites, but the dev is a dick)

My current best solution is to setup an azure web app to do 301-redirects. The lowest plan that allows custom domains comes to ~$10/month. Any better or cheaper solutions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can it be done with one of the serverless frameworks (Azure Functions, AWS Lambda)?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41709910/azure-functions-nodejs-http-response-renders-as-xml-rather-than-http-response

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can it be done with one of the serverless frameworks (Azure Functions, AWS Lambda)?

Need to be able to point an A record at it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

S3 bucket per domain?

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/how-to-page-redirect.html

Seems like your plan is the easiest to manage though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

Need to be able to point an A record at it.
If you can host it yourself, it's extremely simple.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

If you can host it yourself, it's extremely simple.

I already have what I need working as a web app in azure. I was just trying to see if there was a different way to do it that doesn't involve paying $10/month for a service that is probably only going to see 3-4 hits a month.

I like the idea of using an azure function to do it, but as far as I can tell, I can't point A records at the function endpoint.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

I already have what I need working as a web app in azure. I was just trying to see if there was a different way to do it that doesn't involve paying $10/month for a service that is probably only going to see 3-4 hits a month.

I like the idea of using an azure function to do it, but as far as I can tell, I can't point A records at the function endpoint.
Hosting it in the cloud is going to cost money, yes. Hosting it yourself is definitely what I would consider a "different" way to do it that won't cost much money. You do realize there's no more IPv4 addresses left, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Hosting it in the cloud is going to cost money, yes. Hosting it yourself is definitely what I would consider a "different" way to do it that won't cost much money. You do realize there's no more IPv4 addresses left, right?

Water is wet.

edit: I just found a throwaway sentence in a random blog that lead me to find the custom domain options for azure functions. This will do exactly what I want.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 25, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Also if you're triggered by advice from a charlatan delivered in an irritating voice, then don't watch

Edit: lmao systems with redundant power supplies connected to the same strip that lives on the floor

lol

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope their soundproofing is flammable

LOL

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well his solution was to just get a Petabyte of HDD's and jbod them all into Gluster.

My opinion of Linus rose with the recent fiber thunderbolt video and now it's crashed into a giant crater again

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope their soundproofing is flammable

Yeah this one got me real good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm still wrapping my head around the impact of this. Clearly it's really bad, but what are the chances of it effecting people right now? Unless someone besides Project Zero found it beforehand, it sounds like the issue is fixed and at least Google has purged that data from their indexes?

I know, better safe than sorry, change any cloud based passwords for services using CloudFlare, but as of today what is the real effect on users?

Google did the right thing, but the next question in my mind is could bad actors have lucked into this goldmine of cached data (hello Baidu / Yandex)? If they weren't already aware of and actively exploiting it for months, that is.:tinfoil:

wtf even is an "SQL Dev"? Not calling you out on the term, as you're just quoting Glassdoor. Is that a DBA? Someone who knows what ActiveRecord is? An alcoholic (jk it's definitely this one, whatever the details may be)?

Based on this being 22's first jump out of desktop support, I don't think your pay is wildly out of line. After a year or two in the role, build your case for a major raise and promotion. Or just bounce to another company for a major pay hike, exactly as you did a few months back for this job. I'll also note that the 80k figure is an average. So that means many people are making less than that, while that 157k person way on the right is dragging the average up significantly. And again, it's also a weird rear end job title so I don't expect the sample size is very large. Looks like "Salary estimated from 72 employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 12 months."

If nothing else, you don't have to go to fuckin' Greeley anymore, so high five on that.

Denver cost of living has skyrocketed, but it's now just in line with a normal major American city. Instead of being on par with like Little Rock. Housing costs are shocking compared to 15 years ago, but it's not like SF / NYC / Vancouver (hi CLAM DOWN) bad.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

mewse posted:

lol

LOL

My opinion of Linus rose with the recent fiber thunderbolt video and now it's crashed into a giant crater again

Linus is what happens when you give "the bosses nephew who is good with computers" a nearly unlimited budget and no oversight. Boggles my mind that a business actually relies on him to keep important stuff running.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also, since I hadn't quite caught on to the nature of the CloudFlare problem beyond "dangerous things were leaked", the links here put it into perspective: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13727279 (late edit: just noticed that this post is in reply to the CEO and cofounder of CloudFlare who is claiming that only Google--the one who found and reported this vulnerability in the first place--is dragging its feet on scrubbing its caches. This whole thing just keeps getting more amazing, as you can see below)

The first link is a Bing cached web page (still live as of my posting this) that literally just has a bunch of random HTML headers and data from someone else's totally irrelevant traffic embedded at the end. It's ostensibly some Japanese forum post, but it includes an unrelated (supposedly HTTPS encrypted!) Discord session and some portion of an anti-Trump webpage in plain text for no reason if you click View Source.

This is like pants-pooping bad and that's just a relatively harmless example Tavis felt comfortable sharing with the public. Also, there's clearly tons of data still out there for harvesting, even on reputable sources like Bing (hurr durr Bing reputable joke here). If CloudFlare is telling people that this is over, then LOL.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 25, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

hihifellow posted:

Linus is what happens when you give "the bosses nephew who is good with computers" a nearly unlimited budget and no oversight. Boggles my mind that a business actually relies on him to keep important stuff running.

He started out reviewing products for the canadian retailer NCIX.com and he was a big hit, so he started his own thing.

When I see his nightmare builds they seem to be the definition of prosumer overreach - not an enterprise piece of gear in sight.

But also I don't think his methods are out of place in the content creation industry. The VFX shop that was my first IT job had all kinds of cowboy garbage and no backups because it was too much storage (archived projects were written to tape).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Linus puts out some pretty decent content when he's in his element, which basically comes down to screwing around and gamer/enthusiast market things.

Any time he tries to tackle "real IT" problems it ranges from comical to cringeworthy.

His series of videos on building a pfSense box are pretty much a textbook example of how when you make something idiot proof the world invents a better idiot, and in general when it comes to business infrastructure he knows enough to be dangerous but doesn't have the experience (until he gets it the hard way) to understand why things are done a certain way.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The other guy doing videos on LTT is okay, but someone needs to keep Linus away from the camera.

Apropos storage I violated read only Friday and moved my personal file server from a tower case to a norco 4020 last night without a hitch. Yay for testing the server properly first.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wibla posted:

The other guy doing videos on LTT is okay

Is that the guy that did the vid about spreading thermal paste? I really liked that one because they actually ran tests

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
There is only one true Linus. Do not pay attention to that false Linus.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The sad thing is that people actually watch Linus unironically.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Docjowles posted:

wtf even is an "SQL Dev"?
In my experience it's someone who knows enough SQL to make a bunch of tables and write queries that returns the datasets they want, but not enough to know how to make an efficient design, normalize data, or not load their entire database into tempdb each time they run a query.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds about right.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to think of it, and this is going to sound like a weird idea to some. But I've started recording important conference calls with OBS. Just a simple screen and audio capture. 3MB per minute. Not every conference call, not by a long shot - I'm not like the archivist of record here. But I found my mind drifting too many times on these endless phone calls and missing important information. Now, on calls where I think real and relevant information might be shared, I just hit record and have a failsafe. Freakin brilliant, so far.
I hate to be the weird compliance goon all the time, but some states (notably California) have two-party wiretap laws that require all parties on a call to consent to recording. Check your local laws.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Things have been steadily plodding along at the job I got in August. Leadership is kinda spastic at times, jumping us around like frogs trying to escape hot water, but our PM pushed back hard enough that the government leadership started listening and realized that they were sabotaging their own project by forcing us to abandon work-in-progress and move to another task, rinse and repeat. Anyways a couple weeks ago I was asked to see if I could bring up a Nextcloud server for testing as a web-based file sharing system. Was actually quite fun and educational - I've always considered myself a hobbyist when it came to Linux, but with this project I really got to spend a lot of time on the command line and familiarizing myself with the ins-and-outs of Scientific Linux. I'd go so far as to say that I've learned more in the last 3-4 weeks than I have in the previous several years.

So I got a test server set up and managed to configure things such that users could upload 10GB files, but anything over 10GB would cause an error message, even though the file would eventually show up. Logs didn't reveal any errors or problems, but my suspicion was that it was a result of using PHP 5.4. This really bugged the poo poo out of me, so my co-worker and I made sure we were in the clear to use PHP 5.6, then I found a tutorial on how to update PHP for RedHat/CentOS/Scientific Linux 7.

Had a few setbacks when I made changes to Apache that I only half understood, but fortunately snapshots come in handy when you manage to bork things up. Finally had the new test server set up and tested it on Friday, and it worked like a charm. Uploaded a 20GB file in under 7 minutes to our SAN, no issues or errors, confirmed that users with accounts on our domain could log in, made changes to make the GUI more cosmetically appealing to the government overlords, and announced to the team that I wanted them to beat the ever-living poo poo out of the server in a final stress test.

It felt really good, and made up somewhat for getting hosed with our FortiGate equipment. Now I just need to get motivated to go back to working on trying to deploy an OpenStack environment - fortunately that's not under any sort of timeline, so I can take it easy with it. :feelsgood:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
After being unceremoniously told not to show up for work Monday because my old job found out I had an interview, I start at a new place tomorrow (later today).

It's nothing glorious but I'd take anything that pays decently over that mismanaged shitshow. I'll still be looking for something to move to unless this turns out a lot better than I'm expecting. But by comparison this is going to be a cake walk. :toot:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ugato posted:

After being unceremoniously told not to show up for work Monday because my old job found out I had an interview, I start at a new place tomorrow (later today).

What the poo poo, this actually happens? That sucks but at least you got the gig you were interviewing for.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What the poo poo, this actually happens? That sucks but at least you got the gig you were interviewing for.

Most places you probably get a call a week later why you didn't come to work, everything is burning, we are suing you!!!!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have seen something sort of similar, where my head of function has fallen out with everyone who has handed their notice in.

To the point where people have said 'I've got X amount of holiday days left, can I finish on notice date minus X instead of notice date'

and my head of function has (allegedly said)...(on more than one occasion) things along the lines of 'if you don't want to be here just ___ off now then' etc.

I am currently applying for jobs - I'm not desperate to get out but I am assuming I will get a reaction along those lines.
As it happens, I have 2 bosses, the other (nice) one will want some hand over, the above one, will get upset with me for leaving. Fun fun fun...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know what an average ERP support / SQL developer hybrid role salary is in the Denver area? I'm increasingly getting the idea I screwed myself hard by being pressed into giving a number before getting enough information while sick and out of it. I'm hoping I can get something at least near average at conversion with the "I love it here, but I need to be getting paid competitively" line.

For reference I'm making $62k in a similar role and I'm employed in South Carolina. I'm about market average for my skill set around here.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ugato posted:

It's nothing glorious but I'd take anything that pays decently over that mismanaged shitshow. I'll still be looking for something to move to unless this turns out a lot better than I'm expecting. But by comparison this is going to be a cake walk. :toot:

How in the hell does anyone find out you had an interview with you telling someone?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He was talking to a co-worker who was also looking for a job, IIRC.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He was talking to a co-worker who was also looking for a job, IIRC.

The coworker ratted him out?
That's hosed up.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sefal posted:

The coworker ratted him out?
That's hosed up.

Or someone overheard it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I forgot to ask in my post earlier - working in IT... in a bank - yay or nay? I work in a security cleared job now so governance is fine by me (ish...)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How can you get fired for attending an interview (assuming in your own time)? Is that remotely legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

angry armadillo posted:

I forgot to ask in my post earlier - working in IT... in a bank - yay or nay? I work in a security cleared job now so governance is fine by me (ish...)

As long as you're cool with bureaucracy, there's nothing inherently bad about working at a bank. Be prepared for a shockingly low budget and legacy systems everywhere.

bitterandtwisted posted:

How can you get fired for attending an interview (assuming in your own time)? Is that remotely legal?

Ahahahahahahahhahaa, that's a funny one.