Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wesley Bryan is absolutely killing it at the Honda open this weekend. Pretty awesome to see a guy work his way from being known as a trick shot guy with his brother, win and make it through the web.com tour very fast and have pretty much immediate success on the tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm just happy to see Dechambeau missed another cut. Good to see tour pros calling him out for withdrawing from a tourney he had a sponsors exemption for.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bryan is falling apart :(

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Bryan is falling apart :(

It's all your fault.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

It's all your fault.

I know :(

But Ricky is on fire now!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Why in the heck did Ricky get a drop out of the rough there? Because his feet would have been standing on some newly sodded area? I don't understand.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Why in the heck did Ricky get a drop out of the rough there? Because his feet would have been standing on some newly sodded area? I don't understand.

Maybe the newly sodded area was considered Ground Under Repair?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe the newly sodded area was considered Ground Under Repair?

I guess, it certainly didn't look like it would have been an issue.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
http://www.pgatour.com/daily-wrapup/2017/02/26/rickie-fowler-wins-honda.html

I watched ricky leave one out on 17 on the edge of the water after my round today, but he had a 5 shot lead, so whatever. The clubhouse bet was whether or not he would take the drop zone, he did.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So I was channel surfing (in 2017, yes) and I came across a late showing of the Honda Classic. Never been into golf but what the hell, right?

Why do people lie and say watching golf is boring? Between "GET IN THE HOLE!", the reactions whenever anyone does anything and the announcers saying weird poo poo from time to time, this is an amazingly entertaining TV sport so far.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 27, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Some networks still do a pretty bad job but with all the different cameras they have, coverage usually shows pretty much every great shot regardless of who hit it plus almost every shot by the most popular players. I think there's a lot less dead time trying to be filled by the commentators than there used to be. Plus ProTracer and the other things like it are pretty cool.

Does anyone know anything about the course they're playing in Mexico City next week? All I know is that it's like 7000 feet above sea level so if the fairways are firm we're going to see some hilarious distances.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread saying that golf is boring to watch :)

There is one thing that I hope they someday give us the ability to do. I would love some sort of online feed where I can pick a group I want to follow for EVERY hole and EVERY shot. They've almost got it with the featured groups, but sometimes I just want to watch a full round of Bubba even though he isn't in the top 5 or 6 and not getting normal air time. There's cameras on every hole, they know where the players are on the course, this shouldn't be that difficult to do! Another way to say it would be let me start my broadcast at a specific time and go hole to hole, resulting in the same following a group throughout their round.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Some networks still do a pretty bad job but with all the different cameras they have, coverage usually shows pretty much every great shot regardless of who hit it plus almost every shot by the most popular players. I think there's a lot less dead time trying to be filled by the commentators than there used to be. Plus ProTracer and the other things like it are pretty cool.

Does anyone know anything about the course they're playing in Mexico City next week? All I know is that it's like 7000 feet above sea level so if the fairways are firm we're going to see some hilarious distances.

7000 feet adds about 10% to flight, so it could be exciting.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

mattfl posted:

There's cameras on every hole, they know where the players are on the course, this shouldn't be that difficult to do! Another way to say it would be let me start my broadcast at a specific time and go hole to hole, resulting in the same following a group throughout their round.

I've been living in the UK for a couple of years now, and in my opinion their networks are much better at maintaining hole to hole continuity and making it feel like you're watching a round of golf rather than a highlights package. I've never heard them use the phrase "this just a moment ago".

The one downside is that Butch Harmon commentates for Sky and he sounds like a demented troll.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

runoverbobby posted:

The one downside is that Butch Harmon commentates for Sky and he sounds like a demented troll.

It's even worse here in Aus, any weather delay etc they pipe in Butch's Titleist ad placement... I mean instructional videos. Even the replay rather than editing any play in so you remove this dead air bullshit, they replay it all in full. Double dose of Butch.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Lightning Lord posted:

So I was channel surfing (in 2017, yes) and I came across a late showing of the Honda Classic. Never been into golf but what the hell, right?

Why do people lie and say watching golf is boring? Between "GET IN THE HOLE!", the reactions whenever anyone does anything and the announcers saying weird poo poo from time to time, this is an amazingly entertaining TV sport so far.

Man, if you like that. Try to find a replay of the Ryder Cup from last year. It was insane.

But yeah, CBS and NBC can be pretty lovely with coverage. Too many in-booth shots of commentators and not enough live golf shots. Wait until you get to a tournament that has protracer on almost every shot. Or a tournament with a different format than the standard 72-hole stroke play. Match play is awesome. Team event are even cooler.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A course here in upstate NY actually mowed their greens Friday morning, that's gotta be the earliest ever. They were still letting people play for free too. Sadly it's rainy and cooler for the next week+ now so I probably won't get back out for a bit.

I ordered a Cobra Fly-Z adjustable fairway and have hit some balls off a mat with it. Same shaft length as my Cally XR 4 wood but slightly smaller head and I've got it set to 20 degrees vs 17 for the 4 wood which seems to give me a consistent 215ish carry which is exactly what I was hoping for. Think my bag is set for the year now!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Big rule changes coming.

http://golfweek.com/2017/01/23/rules-of-golf-ra-usga-changes-2020/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

allowing players to drop a ball from any height when taking relief rather than the current stipulation of shoulder height;

*chucks relief ball straight up*

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Anyone who spends more than 90 seconds looking for a lost ball already deserves to die.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonna drop a ball from 1"

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

runoverbobby posted:

Anyone who spends more than 90 seconds looking for a lost ball already deserves to die.

The worst are the people who insist on searching for lost balls in a hazard. Been coming across this a lot in pennants lately, I've been vocal about it as well "it went in the hazard we all saw it, it went over that point drop and play." But they still waste their 5 minutes looking for a $3 piece of equipment.

I don't mind all those proposed rules but really the drop height one I could take or leave, I always feel like with a shoulder height drop you can see your partners do it from across the course, a simple drop from the hip not so much. Could open the door for cheating. Doesn't affect your players due to galleries etc but amateurs in a comp I can see this being an issue with the hand/foot wedge crowd.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 1, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dimebag posted:

The worst are the people who insist on searching for lost balls in a hazard. Been coming across this a lot in pennants lately, I've been vocal about it as well "it went in the hazard we all saw it, it went over that point drop and play." But they still waste their 5 minutes looking for a $3 piece of equipment.

They can spend the 5 minutes in match play though - I don't have an issue with it. Unless you're talking about water hazard and they're spending the time to fish their ball out?

Been playing Pennants golf too, lost my first 2 matches on the 18th and 17th holes, should have done better. My third game this past Sunday I was 4 down after 11 holes. Managed to beat the guy on the 18th with a long birdie putt. Poor bastard :)

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

My favorite is watching the group ahead of you go on a hiking expedition in the woods looking for someone's tee shot that sliced 50 yards to the right. Those people don't respect the pace of play 😡.

What is the reasoning behind the change to shoulder height for dropping a ball? I've never really thought that was a problem or something that needed changed, but I've never really thought about it.

Also what ball is everyone playing this season. I've played srixon z-stars for the past few years but I'm thinking about picking up a few packs of some different balls to test out before I place a big order for z-stars. Any suggestions?

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 1, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

dangling pointer posted:

My favorite is watching the group ahead of you go on a hiking expedition in the woods looking for someone's tee shot that sliced 50 yards to the right. Those people don't respect the pace of play 😡.

What is the reasoning behind the change to shoulder height for dropping a ball? I've never really thought that was a problem or something that needed changed, but I've never really thought about it.

Also what ball is everyone playing this season. I've played srixon z-stars for the past few years but I'm thinking about picking up a few packs of some different balls to test out before I place a big order for z-stars. Any suggestions?

Yeah not sure about the drop rule, maybe it's to piss off Greg Norman even more > http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/04/06/video-proves-greg-norman-win-1987-masters-after-all/ :D

I was using Z Stars for quite a while but I had just too much spin with them. I've since changed to the Bridgestone B330's. Less spin and about the same distance.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

They can spend the 5 minutes in match play though - I don't have an issue with it. Unless you're talking about water hazard and they're spending the time to fish their ball out?

Been playing Pennants golf too, lost my first 2 matches on the 18th and 17th holes, should have done better. My third game this past Sunday I was 4 down after 11 holes. Managed to beat the guy on the 18th with a long birdie putt. Poor bastard :)

It's a water hazard however it's half lake half really thick bush that butts up to the right of a par 4 on my home course. I know they have their 5 minutes to search but even if they find it, it'll be unplayable and we've wasted 5 minutes. I wouldn't have a problem if they played their shot at point of entry then came up to search for their ball, but they all do the same thing look for the ball in heavy bush waste 5 then take another 2 minutes going back to point of entry and discussing where they now think it went in.

Yeah pennants has been a crap shoot really, first week playing against a team, I'm C grade. Me "Hey what are you off?" them "Oh 14, had a few good rounds lately." loving burglars. They had to have gone from 18.5 to 14 since January 10th, this is technically possible but you'd need to be playing 4 times a week at least with no bad rounds. If it was only 1 guy I'd come across yeah sure it happens but every game I've played so far there has been a guy off 15 or less in c grade. 2 losses and a draw so far.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I'm in A grade but 5th division. Come up against guys who are good players but didn't make the team of their home club so they pay a cheap fee at a poo poo club and join that team. Typically they're 0-5 handicap. Doesn't mean much to me, match play is totally different golf and you see some weird stuff.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

I've been rocking the matte yellow and matte orange Volviks for my past 3 rounds and loving love them. If they are good enough for Bubba then why not me lol

But seriously they are a great ball, distance is the same as with any other ball, they work great around the green, no complaints really.

I'll play these until I run out then I have 4 or 5 boxes of nike rzn tour platinums that I picked up offa nike's site when they were clearing them out for $20/box that I'll switch to which will probably get me through most of the year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

All I can think of the drop rule change is that they're just saying it's pointless to require striking the goofy pose. Just take your stroke, toss one down and move on.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls/#C4

Every bit as good as a prov.

Also they are having a hell of a deal on rangefinders.

https://www.mggolf.com/gps-rangefinders/

$105

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Are those legit? The website reminds me of an "as seen in tv!!" Product lol.

I ordered some though, they're cheap! I may not be able to get over the ugly mg circle logo though.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

Are those legit? The website reminds me of an "as seen in tv!!" Product lol.

I ordered some though, they're cheap! I may not be able to get over the ugly mg circle logo though.

They are. I can't tell a difference between them and any multi-piece urethane ball.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

dangling pointer posted:

I usually alternate between the Z Star and the Q Star so I'm intrigued by the Q Star Tour that Srixon is putting out in April at a $30 price point which is pretty cheap for a urethane ball.

The Z Star and XV are "new" for 2017 as well so if you like the 2016s it may be a good time to buy a bunch as they get discounted.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

dangling pointer posted:

Could be to eliminate situations where the ball's undoubtedly going to roll nearer the hole. Any sort of slope and the ball's going to bounce and travel forward if dropped from shoulder height, resulting in that silly process of (1) drop (2) chase ball (3) drop (4) chase ball (5) place where it struck the course. If you can drop from ankle height you'll probably be able to play immediately.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

Could be to eliminate situations where the ball's undoubtedly going to roll nearer the hole. Any sort of slope and the ball's going to bounce and travel forward if dropped from shoulder height, resulting in that silly process of (1) drop (2) chase ball (3) drop (4) chase ball (5) place where it struck the course. If you can drop from ankle height you'll probably be able to play immediately.

aaah yeah I hadn't thought of this.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

I usually alternate between the Z Star and the Q Star so I'm intrigued by the Q Star Tour that Srixon is putting out in April at a $30 price point which is pretty cheap for a urethane ball.

The Z Star and XV are "new" for 2017 as well so if you like the 2016s it may be a good time to buy a bunch as they get discounted.

Didn't know about the Q star tour, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that also.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I haven't kept up with the market for balls at all. I bought a bunch of z stars a few seasons ago and haven't deviated from them since. Looking forward to trying out some new stuff!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

MG Tour C4 balls are good, I've gamed them on and off. I really like their gloves too, they're usually the best deal for real leather.

So far this year I've used Slazengers that I got for $5/36. Once the courses firm up and I'm playing better I'll be rocking the K-Sigs, I've got 4 dozen atm and will order more if Costco sells them again. MG balls are good urethane balls for $20/dozen, K-Sigs are basically the same but $15/dozen. If the K-Sigs don't reappear I'll probably go back to MG or 4A/5A balls from lostgolfballs.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Suprfli6 posted:

MG Tour C4 balls are good, I've gamed them on and off. I really like their gloves too, they're usually the best deal for real leather.

So far this year I've used Slazengers that I got for $5/36. Once the courses firm up and I'm playing better I'll be rocking the K-Sigs, I've got 4 dozen atm and will order more if Costco sells them again. MG balls are good urethane balls for $20/dozen, K-Sigs are basically the same but $15/dozen. If the K-Sigs don't reappear I'll probably go back to MG or 4A/5A balls from lostgolfballs.

I think K-Sigs are going to reappear soon, but with two variants, similar to ProV1 and ProV1X - then we'll see some tour pro sponsored by Kirkland rocken K-Sigs :D

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

I think K-Sigs are going to reappear soon, but with two variants, similar to ProV1 and ProV1X - then we'll see some tour pro sponsored by Kirkland rocken K-Sigs :D

John Daly with a Costco logo on one sleeve and 84Lumber on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

John Daly with a Costco logo on one sleeve and 84Lumber on the other.

John Daly is a loving national treasure

He'd have Marlboro and Camel logos on him if he could