Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

About the Game:

Oxygen Not Included is a space-colony simulation game. Manage your colonists and help them dig, build and maintain a subterranean asteroid base.

You'll need water, warmth, food, and oxygen to keep them alive, and even more than that to keep them happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZhoSP1p18o

Get it on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/593590/

Shadow0's Indepth Guide on All Things ONI

Great document to quickly read up on various game mechanics, and learn some fundamental principles to help make running your bases a bit less of a daunting prospect. Currently incomplete, but being fleshed out (posted 19/05/20)

Agricultural Update:

quote:

Farming Features

New Items, Buildings and Recipes: Discover new plants, buildings and yummy cooking recipes. Farm food and flavour-enhancing spices, then cook them into culinary delights for your Duplicants to enjoy.
Improved Crop Tending: Build pipe systems and irrigate your crops using new farm plots. Monitor pressure, temperature, fertilization and irrigation to keep your crops happy and healthy.
New Farming Systems: The Harvest Rating Point system now allows you to increase the yield of your harvest by meeting ideal growing conditions for crops. Reach 100 Harvest Rating and your plants will yield tons of extra kcal and new seeds for farm expansion.
Consumables Screen: Control your colony's eating habits with the new Consumables Screen. Dupes now have Food Quality Expectations, so try to feed them foods they like!

Quality of Life Improvements:

quote:

Power Control: Manage your power systems more effectively and prevent overloads and meltdowns with the new Power Transformer
New Energy Source: Natural Gas Geysers have tons of power to harness using the Natural Gas Generator, so long as you don't mind the smell.
Hydro and Atmo Switches: Automate your systems with pressure-detecting liquid and gas switches.

Storage and Planter Copy Settings: Cut down on time spent setting storage filters and planting seeds by copying & painting filter settings.
Breaktimes: No more assigning Dupes to Massage Tables with the new Breaktime Policy screen. Set the stress levels at which they should stop working with the Max Stress slider, then tell them when they should get back to work with Min Stress.
Default Job Restrictions: Use the Default column of the Jobs Screen to set job restrictions for new Dupes. Newly printed Dupes will come out with these settings already assigned.
Framerate improvement, reduced load times, UI changes & more
Screenshot Mode: Alt-S will now allow you to enter screenshot mode. Zoom out and take a picture of your entire base, then show it to all your friends.

Goon Discord Link: https://discord.gg/m4a3JAP

This game is a real gem. It's still really early alpha, but it's heaps of fun. I'm making this thread because I'm tired of dying out at around the 30th cycle, and I'm hoping some Goons here will be much better than I am and potentially give advice on where I'm going wrong. Feel free to hop into the Discord server to chat about it and share your neat base setups.

This is my current base. poo poo's going south real, real fast. I've got a severe shortage of: power, water, oxygen. I've got a severe abundance of: food, space, dupes, algae.

I've basically reached the stage where my dupes are consuming more oxygen than I'm producing, and my algae farms are converting all the expelled CO2 back into O2 but it's not enough to fix things. I tried setting up machines that break water down to provide oxygen, but it turns out it also provides hydrogen at the same time which caused all my lil guys to suffocate. I then tried making a system that pipes oxygen to the base and pipes hydrogen to a hydrogen generator, but by the time it finally got made, dupes started dying left, right and centre from lack of oxygen.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh hey this game. I remember finding out about it entirely because it has the same artists as Don't Starve, which I love the artstyle of.

I'm tempted to buy it but I have a personal policy of not wanting to play EA games prior to their release. It usually just cheapens the final product for me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh hey this game. I remember finding out about it entirely because it has the same artists as Don't Starve, which I love the artstyle of.

I'm tempted to buy it but I have a personal policy of not wanting to play EA games prior to their release. It usually just cheapens the final product for me.

Same developers, too. Klei Entertainment is making this game, the same peeps who made Don't Starve.

And aye, good call. I wouldn't recommend buying it just yet unless you're a die-hard fan and have the cash to spend to enjoy a neat little timewaster.

There's a fair few bugs at the moment which can ruin a colony. Like sometimes when you load back in, certain areas can jump to sweltering hot temperatures and turn all your water into steam.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Loopoo posted:

This is my current base. poo poo's going south real, real fast. I've got a severe shortage of: power, water, oxygen. I've got a severe abundance of: food, space, dupes, algae.

I've basically reached the stage where my dupes are consuming more oxygen than I'm producing, and my algae farms are converting all the expelled CO2 back into O2 but it's not enough to fix things. I tried setting up machines that break water down to provide oxygen, but it turns out it also provides hydrogen at the same time which caused all my lil guys to suffocate. I then tried making a system that pipes oxygen to the base and pipes hydrogen to a hydrogen generator, but by the time it finally got made, dupes started dying left, right and centre from lack of oxygen.

More is not always better in this game, I've figured out after a couple of runs. You don't always need to bring in more duplicants, especially if your oxygen system can't handle the strain. Also, I find that the less space you dig out, the higher the density of oxygen you'll have. I plan for four tile tall rooms, but I leave them at two tiles until I absolutely need the space.

From what I can tell you'll pretty much need to be constantly expanding into pockets of water and oxygen as the game progresses. Also you can generally count on hydrogen, being less dense, to rise, and CO2, being more dense, to sink. But the simulation is sort of funky.

I haven't rigorously tested any of this and also I'm a little bit hungover so take it as you will.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's awesome advice. I definitely did expand too much, my oxygen density tanked hard as a result. This game is fab, but it's really disheartening when a system doesn't work properly (I'm looking at you, gas pumps!). It can suck a lot of steam out of your enthusiasm, because this big project you spent a solid few cycles working on inevitably doesn't end up working.

Taking what you've said, my next base will definitely utilise smaller spaces length-wise, and I'll keep everything 3 or 4 tiles high. I think I might just deal with the hydrogen and create a pocket at the topmost part of my base to hopefully catch it all where it can be pumped into a hydrogen generator. I'll also not spew out max dupes and keep it to a safe 8-man colony.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Rather than have it filter through the entire colony, on my second attempt I used a 4x4 closed-off area that had an electrolyzer and a gas intake, with a gas filter separating hydrogen from oxygen; the hydrogen went straight into the generator and the o2 into circulation. No mess after that.

The research costs for advanced filtration are sort of high though and can be a pain if your dupes are struggling.

If you create a 3-wide gas-permeable accessway that runs the entire height of your base you can get that pesky CO2 down to your algae/scrubbers more effectively. Also stole your idea for painting placement.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I tried that with the electrolyzer / gas filter setup. It ended up not working for some reason. Oxygen wouldn't get pumped out to a vent to circulate around my colony, and hydrogen wasn't pumped into the generator. My colony was on the brink of dying when it was built so they all died off before I could figure out the issue and I got tired of reloading to the previous day to attempt to fix it.

Also yeah the painting placement is super nifty. I put it above anything that dupes spend a lot of time on, so the hamster wheels, research benches, cooking stations. It helps keep stress down really well early game.

Late game though, stress spirals out of control and I can't seem to keep it under wraps. Even with a dedicated massage room that has masterpiece paintings and loads of sculptures, it still takes forever to get their stress levels down.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Gas stuff doesn't work right at the moment. The vents back up constantly.

I've had no trouble with stress at all so far which seems odd and temperature has no effect on anything that I can tell. A coal generator sitting at 950 degrees right next to a cooker at 530 - nothing happens and the other crap next to them stays at 23.

The game has a lot of promise but right now it's not functional for a full session. Starting games and watching them scuttle about till they all die is fun though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Gas stuff doesn't work right at the moment. The vents back up constantly.

I've had no trouble with stress at all so far which seems odd and temperature has no effect on anything that I can tell. A coal generator sitting at 950 degrees right next to a cooker at 530 - nothing happens and the other crap next to them stays at 23.

The game has a lot of promise but right now it's not functional for a full session. Starting games and watching them scuttle about till they all die is fun though.

How big are the rooms your coal gen and cooking station are in? I had a 3-tile-high farming row and the floor lamps were enough to boil the surrounding water to steam, so I'm pretty sure temperature is either broken or buggy.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

How big are the rooms your coal gen and cooking station are in? I had a 3-tile-high farming row and the floor lamps were enough to boil the surrounding water to steam, so I'm pretty sure temperature is either broken or buggy.

It's a like a set of bookshelves. All rooms are 3 tiles high (the max reach of the builder things).

Behold my polluted rabbit warren. I switch the coal gen on/off by hand to keep the filth down. It doesn't seem to modulate its output when the batteries are full.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oh god, not a single gas permeable tile in sight. You've got so many gas pumps to collect the random floating hydrogen. If you added gas permeable tiles, it'd all eventually float to the highest point of the map, you could make a little ugly pocket at the top of your base and have just a single gas pump there to pump the hydrogen into the generator.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Oh god, not a single gas permeable tile in sight. You've got so many gas pumps to collect the random floating hydrogen. If you added gas permeable tiles, it'd all eventually float to the highest point of the map, you could make a little ugly pocket at the top of your base and have just a single gas pump there to pump the hydrogen into the generator.

Pfft, it kinda floats up the ladders. Good enough. I was going for a sealed room with the airlocks but I couldn't see a way to lock them closed - the plebs just wander through whenever they like.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Pfft, it kinda floats up the ladders. Good enough. I was going for a sealed room with the airlocks but I couldn't see a way to lock them closed - the plebs just wander through whenever they like.

From the pic you posted, a lot of it collects on levels, instead of all floating to the top. Using airlocks can do what you want. If you select the airlock, there's a way to disable them which basically causes them to get locked.

Also, take it from me: don't bother with the sealed room business. It's more headache than it's worth. I had an electrolyzer pumping out clean O2 in a sealed room, and a gas pump that separated O2 from the Hydrogen. It didn't work, or it'd keep turning off and on stupidly. My guys all suffocated. My next colony will just have the electrolyzer in the middle of my base and a clear path for the hydrogen to float up harmlessly to the top where it can be used.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/76093-game-update-preview-branch-210162/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That looks amazing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The best part of this game is that it's so early access there is no way to close the loop for most resources and make something sustainable except by making a nightmare colony where everyone just stress vomits into a pit forever as a source of renewable water and you just spread a bunch of dirt out of a toilet on the ground because it's the only thing that will generate oxygen ex nihilo sustainably.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The best part of this game is that it's so early access there is no way to close the loop for most resources and make something sustainable except by making a nightmare colony where everyone just stress vomits into a pit forever as a source of renewable water and you just spread a bunch of dirt out of a toilet on the ground because it's the only thing that will generate oxygen ex nihilo sustainably.

Now it is early access for real: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/78822-oxygen-not-included-early-access-available-now/

In addition to the agricultural update:

quote:

Farming Features

New Items, Buildings and Recipes: Discover new plants, buildings and yummy cooking recipes. Farm food and flavour-enhancing spices, then cook them into culinary delights for your Duplicants to enjoy.
Improved Crop Tending: Build pipe systems and irrigate your crops using new farm plots. Monitor pressure, temperature, fertilization and irrigation to keep your crops happy and healthy.
New Farming Systems: The Harvest Rating Point system now allows you to increase the yield of your harvest by meeting ideal growing conditions for crops. Reach 100 Harvest Rating and your plants will yield tons of extra kcal and new seeds for farm expansion.
Consumables Screen: Control your colony's eating habits with the new Consumables Screen. Dupes now have Food Quality Expectations, so try to feed them foods they like!

and some new features:

quote:

Power Control: Manage your power systems more effectively and prevent overloads and meltdowns with the new Power Transformer
New Energy Source: Natural Gas Geysers have tons of power to harness using the Natural Gas Generator, so long as you don't mind the smell.
Hydro and Atmo Switches: Automate your systems with pressure-detecting liquid and gas switches.

Storage and Planter Copy Settings: Cut down on time spent setting storage filters and planting seeds by copying & painting filter settings.
Breaktimes: No more assigning Dupes to Massage Tables with the new Breaktime Policy screen. Set the stress levels at which they should stop working with the Max Stress slider, then tell them when they should get back to work with Min Stress.
Default Job Restrictions: Use the Default column of the Jobs Screen to set job restrictions for new Dupes. Newly printed Dupes will come out with these settings already assigned.
Framerate improvement, reduced load times, UI changes & more
Screenshot Mode: Alt-S will now allow you to enter screenshot mode. Zoom out and take a picture of your entire base, then show it to all your friends.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will stick that in OP, thanks for taking the time to put that together. Hope everyone has a blast with it being in EA now, it's an amazing game. This game is a brilliant little timewaster, and it's getting fleshed out more and more every update. It's also Klei who is making it, the same people behind Don't Starve and Invisible Inc. so you know their work ethic is good.

It's a tad barebones so don't expect weeks and weeks of playtime. I binged on this for a solid 3 or 4 days, put it down, and am going to pick it back up again due to the Agricultural Update. It'll keep me occupied for another 3 days.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 19, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just picked it up. Pretty fun so far, but could use a tutorial. I know Don't Starve didn't have one though, so maybe they're going for a similar hardcore approach here as well.

Really liking the graphics and the interface in general. Definitely a step-up from their previous games.

Hopefully we will have multiplayer one day.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

1) I think the discord link expired/is broken

2) I don't know if this is a feature or a bug but it is great.

A guy was standing in a 2 block high spot then built a ceiling where his head was, proceeding to hang himself from ceiling until someone else deconstructed it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Alaan posted:

A guy was standing in a 2 block high spot then built a ceiling where his head was, proceeding to hang himself from ceiling until someone else deconstructed it.
nah this is probably a feature(see also duplicants refusing to return to base after digging underwater when there's an airbubble nearby then suffocating when it runs out)
duplicants are pretty dumb and will kill themselves in new and stupid fashions if you don't watch.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Alaan posted:

Yeah, I deleted the Discord cause it was only me and one other person in it IIRC and there was no chat whatsoever for a month or two. Feel free to host another server and I'll pop the link in the OP.

That also looks like a bug, I'm pretty sure dupes aren't meant to be able to construct over a spot they're occupying, and then getting their head stuck and playing the falling animation seems wrong. Elizabethan Error's example is dupes being dumb, you gotta stick the base on red alert to make them get out of situations like that where they keep returning to a tiny oxygen pocket.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i spent the last three hours planning my base around a pocket of water so that i could build a nice lavatory, but i cant get the stupid thing to work

coal generator (top left) powers the water pump, which is connected to the lavatory intake. that in turn has its outtake connected to a liquid vent under it.

This setup doesn't work though. When I mouse over the lavatory it says "empty pipe."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bleh, never mind. Connected it wrong. That's what I get for playing until 5 am!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

you mixed up the input with the output, right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Loopoo posted:

you mixed up the input with the output, right?

i connected the green to the green and the white to the white. seemed like the logical thing to do. :shrug:

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
The game is pretty great, although it's been a few versions since the last time I played, so I haven't tried any of the new stuff.

Building a base for muh aesthetics or managing a spiralling shitshow of dropping moods isn't as engaging as it is in games like rimworld or dwarf fortress, but the game really shines when it comes to building larger systems to keep your colony afloat. Managing clean and polluted water, keeping your base comfortably cool (if you start next to hot biomes) and making sure everyone has enough mostly clean air to breathe involves piping a lot of stuff around, and thinking about things like air pressure, thermal conductivity and the different properties of materials is a lot of fun.

Here's a heavy handed attempt at cooling down boiling water from a geysir, which would be a renewable source of clean water. It didn't really work until the room filled up and the geysir stopped due to being over pressurized though. :shrug:

Here's one way to create a room that can store excess chlorine or co2 by using super-cooled hydrogen to liquidize or freeze all the incoming gases.

There are several other things in the game that warrants equally large projects, and there're a few hidden materials in the debug mode that doesn't show up in the game yet, suggesting that they'll add more things to gently caress around with later.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

LoboFlex posted:

The game is pretty great, although it's been a few versions since the last time I played, so I haven't tried any of the new stuff.

Building a base for muh aesthetics or managing a spiralling shitshow of dropping moods isn't as engaging as it is in games like rimworld or dwarf fortress, but the game really shines when it comes to building larger systems to keep your colony afloat. Managing clean and polluted water, keeping your base comfortably cool (if you start next to hot biomes) and making sure everyone has enough mostly clean air to breathe involves piping a lot of stuff around, and thinking about things like air pressure, thermal conductivity and the different properties of materials is a lot of fun.

Here's a heavy handed attempt at cooling down boiling water from a geysir, which would be a renewable source of clean water. It didn't really work until the room filled up and the geysir stopped due to being over pressurized though. :shrug:

Here's one way to create a room that can store excess chlorine or co2 by using super-cooled hydrogen to liquidize or freeze all the incoming gases.

There are several other things in the game that warrants equally large projects, and there're a few hidden materials in the debug mode that doesn't show up in the game yet, suggesting that they'll add more things to gently caress around with later.
great info, though I will point out that there are thermo-switches in game now(gas, liquid and something else i think)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's always really disheartening when you spend a painstaking hour setting up a really cool gas system that filters oxygen and hydrogen and pumps the useful O2 around your base and collects the hydrogen in another room, only for it not to work. And since it's such an early release, you can never tell if it's a bug or if you just goofed something up.

If they added some sort of gas canister machine that could bottle gases to prevent the really infuriating "machine not working due to high pressure" thing that happens, that'd be great. Or maybe that kinda goes completely against what the game wants: for you to manage your inputs and outputs and try and maintain some form of equilibrium.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
I haven't checked if it's still the case, but in the long run I think it's more common to end up with high pressure in most places due to there being more sources that create gas than gets rid of them. The biggest culprit was polluted water which spawned polluted oxygen without ever checking for surrounding pressure, so as the game went on you'd get these pockets with really compressed polluted oxygen that would eventually raise pressure everywhere else when you let it out. I'm pretty sure this is a bug that will be fixed at some point, if it hasn't already.

The only reliable methods of removing gas was using a hydrogen generator (which turns hydrogen into power) and the air scrubber which actually removes CO2. Oh and The Void I guess, although I've never found that myself. Freezing chlorine and CO2 in super cooled rooms takes care of the problem, provided the gas pressure in the room is low enough to accept more gas.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, using thermo-switches when making chilled rooms can probably help you automate the process entirely, but I was always too worried about messing up and getting broken pipes inside the rooms that needed to be sealed, so I don't really know how to go about it.

LoboFlex fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 21, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LoboFlex posted:

this hurts my brain

in a good way

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a way to use gravity instead of water pumps to intake water?

For example, if I build a water purifier underneath a body of polluted water and connect them using pipes, will water automatically flow into it, or do I still need a liquid pump?

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a way to use gravity instead of water pumps to intake water?

For example, if I build a water purifier underneath a body of polluted water and connect them using pipes, will water automatically flow into it, or do I still need a liquid pump?

No, the only way to get gas or liquids from the surroundings into pipes is via pumps. It might seem like pumps need a lot of power, but after a few cycles you'll probably have enough dupes to keep some of them on nearly constant hamsterwheel duty.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
We tried our first colony yesterday, and promptly dug into a cavern of water which flooded our base, causing one of our guys to drown on the latrine. Plus it took us a while to work out that smooth flooring is more than just an aesthetic choice...
The second colony is going a lot better, although it will be a very long time before we manage to construct hydrogen cooling systems!
It's a good game. More forgiving than Don't Starve, maybe, but with more to manage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

When you say "we", were you playing it with a friend beside you? Cause AFAIK there's no multiplayer, right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Loopoo posted:

When you say "we", were you playing it with a friend beside you? Cause AFAIK there's no multiplayer, right?

maybe he means his "friend"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Loopoo posted:

Yeah, we swap who's running the base each "day." It's good fun, and I can assure you it is NOT FRUSTRATING AT ALLLLL to watch the other person dig a bit too close to the water cavern for the third time. As you can imagine.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, it would be great if there was a way to find out how much TOTAL water there is in a body of water. Maybe mouse over it while holding Ctrl or something. Highlighting individual tiles is NOT helpful, especially since water behaves somewhat oddly around the surface.

It would also be great if bodies of water could be designated as off-limits to dupes. Having to use airlocks and locking/unlocking them works, but then you have to build the pools a certain way and it doesn't always work well.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun so far. Survived for 35 days and still going strong. My whole base is powered by two coal generators, which I plan to switch out for natural gas pretty soon. Still haven't found any hydrogen, which is pretty weird. I did find a steam geyser though, which means unlimited water, right? Built a pool around it and started pumping water up to my base, which is good since I no longer have to worry so much about finding/generating enough polluted water to filter.

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a good game. More forgiving than Don't Starve, maybe, but with more to manage.

There's a lot to manage, but I think it's a bit too easy. I'm sure they will add more things later though (natural disasters, creature invasions, etc.).

Anyway, one or two more content patches can turn this game into a great little time-waster for the summer.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
What the gently caress, Ren.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

building yourself into a deadly situation is a classic in base building games.