Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Still have a lot of thoughts swirling around about this, but I noticed while watching that in the final act the way Chris escapes and kills each person reflects their nature or his previous interactions with them. Might be obvious but then again the cotton-picking gag and Chris being forced to watch TV helplessly for eternity didn't click for me until someone pointed them out, probably because there's just so much to think about. I'm probably missing some things, so you guys can fill in any gaps.

The father: this one I'm shakiest on, but there's quite the contrast between the dad's drawn-out, precise surgery and then the quick, brutal death of getting ambushed and stabbed by a bunch of horns. Dad showed a disrespect for life, and deer specifically, in saying that he was glad they hit the one and mounting another, so Chris got a bit of revenge for the species. Perhaps you could say that the dad relied on being able to establish dominion over living beings and died because he didn't account for every possibility, but there's something else there I'm not getting into words.

The mother: Chris takes away her tool of control by being faster to the cup, which you could call a sign of physical superiority. However, him being able to turn his wounded hand around and stab her with the knife was proof of his superior willpower. He took something that was a cause of pain to him and turned it to his advantage. A fitting way to defeat an evil psychiatrist who uses people's weaknesses to control them.

The son: the dude's obsessed with black people's strength and attempts to show that he is a superior physical specimen to Chris. Though he relies on ambushing instead of fighting fair, he succeeds at achieving a position where he has a guaranteed win, but then gets taken out because Chris outwits him and tricks him into giving him an opening. Should've worked on his strategy. Chris also was only able to escape originally because the son believed they'd already defeated him.

The daughter: she's an expert manipulator and literally uses someone else to try to kill Chris. It's only right that he turn it around on her and take her out because she trusts someone she shouldn't have. Guess she's not the only one who's not who she seems.

While in some cases Chris beats them on their own terms and in others he doesn't, the commonality is that while they're focused on controlling black bodies, they fail to respect the power of the black man's mind.

Jmcrofts posted:

I think he would probably be happy to be able to go do the yardwork again after years of being elderly. I know my dad loves mowing the lawn and chopping wood, old people are weird.

More specifically, as someone said his whole motivation was having a strong physical body. Being a groundskeeper and working with his hands all day every day is his version of Heaven.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
There was so much stuff that made NO sense until the end. It was incredible.

Like the black guy who was with the old white woman. When he goes to say hi to the group of white people, and he *spins around* to show himself off. Like what the gently caress is *that* about? But he was showing off his new body.

Or when the groundskeeper and the load are greeting the guests at the party. When would that ever happen. Except it was their party.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

VROOM VROOM posted:

More specifically, as someone said his whole motivation was having a strong physical body. Being a groundskeeper and working with his hands all day every day is his version of Heaven.

Huh, that makes sense.

One little thing that's 90% face blindness and 10% hairstyle differences: Was the last Rose photo of the Grandpa Body? My guess is yes, but the photo is the dude in a beard and not smiling, and Grandpa Body is clean shaven (a lovely little throughline that they make the guys shave) with a goofy grin most of the movie.

And I don't know why, but I love that despite her unemotional true nature, Rose displays all her victims proudly above her bed.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This movie was good as hell

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
the way the grandparents act in the their bodies makes sense if you think of them actually g like they think the help are supposed to act. They are trying to appear normal and to them they are doing what they think works be normal for how a black person to act which is why it often comes across all minstrily

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

why does the maid/grandma start crying during the talk in the bedroom?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

i was thinking maybe that was the real person lurking way down in the subconscious peeking through, like when the dude flipped out after being flashed

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

it's the original person peaking through as she's forced to be so close to being able to get help from someone but so far while also knowing her inability to act is leading someone else to the same fate

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jmcrofts posted:

i was thinking maybe that was the real person lurking way down in the subconscious peeking through, like when the dude flipped out after being flashed

glam rock hamhock posted:

it's the original person peaking through as she's forced to be so close to being able to get help from someone but so far while also knowing her inability to act is leading someone else to the same fate

Ok that's what i thought but wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. Thanks. there not being a flash going off to reset the person like there was with the man is what gave me oause

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, so Armond White is a Respectability Politics, "Welfare state is slavery!" conservative, and THAT'S why he's writing for NR.

Good to know.

He's explicitly making GBS threads on the drive for respectability, and means testing the welfare state IS a tool for the perpetuation of poverty.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

He's explicitly making GBS threads on the drive for respectability, and means testing the welfare state IS a tool for the perpetuation of poverty.

Except he's saying that Trayvon and Martin Brown were no saints and so it's wrong to compare them to people like Emmett Till etc.

And he doesn't say anything about means testing. It's the conservative position that welfare ITSELF is slavery, it makes people lazy and dependent, etc.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
This movie was friggin incredible! Definitely lived up to the hype. I don't know how to block out my text on the mobile app so I'll save discussion for another time :).

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

VROOM VROOM posted:

Still have a lot of thoughts swirling around about this, but I noticed while watching that in the final act the way Chris escapes and kills each person reflects their nature or his previous interactions with them. Might be obvious but then again the cotton-picking gag and Chris being forced to watch TV helplessly for eternity didn't click for me until someone pointed them out, probably because there's just so much to think about. I'm probably missing some things, so you guys can fill in any gaps.

The father: this one I'm shakiest on, but there's quite the contrast between the dad's drawn-out, precise surgery and then the quick, brutal death of getting ambushed and stabbed by a bunch of horns. Dad showed a disrespect for life, and deer specifically, in saying that he was glad they hit the one and mounting another, so Chris got a bit of revenge for the species. Perhaps you could say that the dad relied on being able to establish dominion over living beings and died because he didn't account for every possibility, but there's something else there I'm not getting into words.

The mother: Chris takes away her tool of control by being faster to the cup, which you could call a sign of physical superiority. However, him being able to turn his wounded hand around and stab her with the knife was proof of his superior willpower. He took something that was a cause of pain to him and turned it to his advantage. A fitting way to defeat an evil psychiatrist who uses people's weaknesses to control them.

The son: the dude's obsessed with black people's strength and attempts to show that he is a superior physical specimen to Chris. Though he relies on ambushing instead of fighting fair, he succeeds at achieving a position where he has a guaranteed win, but then gets taken out because Chris outwits him and tricks him into giving him an opening. Should've worked on his strategy. Chris also was only able to escape originally because the son believed they'd already defeated him.

The daughter: she's an expert manipulator and literally uses someone else to try to kill Chris. It's only right that he turn it around on her and take her out because she trusts someone she shouldn't have. Guess she's not the only one who's not who she seems.

While in some cases Chris beats them on their own terms and in others he doesn't, the commonality is that while they're focused on controlling black bodies, they fail to respect the power of the black man's mind.

On the son: In the dinner scene, the son talks about jujitsu being a strategic game, thinking two steps ahead. And Chris wins by noticing a pattern in the son closing the door, and exploiting it. Another fun little parallel.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blisster posted:

On the son: In the dinner scene, the son talks about jujitsu being a strategic game, thinking two steps ahead. And Chris wins by noticing a pattern in the son closing the door, and exploiting it. Another fun little parallel.

I really liked that the son seems to be fantasizing about the idea of his Obviously Superior Caucasian Brain put inside the genetically superior black body, but then he dies by being outsmarted

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
There we go, that's the part I was forgetting. He thought he was some strategic master but his only plan was "get the jump on them". Worked at the beginning of the movie, didn't at the end. It's also great that his bread-and-butter tactic wouldn't work in MMA. Definitely need to see this again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The more I think about this movie, the more I'd love to sit down and ask Peele how he felt Rose's family grew up. Like, given how ice cold and low affect Rose is after the reveal, when she doesn't need to act anymore, was she always like that? Were even the solo selfies Chris finds of her manufactured to create the illusion of a normal kid who isn't being raised to seduce men for brain replacement? Did the stories about them getting drunk as kids really happen?

Obviously none of that matters to the plot or anything, I'm just curious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, considering that the "funny" part of that story involved her biting a guy's tongue off, I'd say she's been hosed up in the head for quite some time.

My guess is she's a chip off of both blocks, and she'd violently lash out at anyone who dares to take control out of her hands. She's a true sociopath who was raised in an environment that rewarded her for deception and heartlessness.

I also have to give the movie credit as the *reticence* you think you see in the son is most likely just his jealousy that he isn't getting to live out his MMA fantasies in Chris' body.

Honestly, the only way this could've been more sick and morbid would've been if Rose had been a 'transplant' because their original daughter wasn't pretty enough to pull 'honey trap' duty.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is sure to rile up some people.

Number one at Box Office, pulling in 30 million weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4270&p=.htm

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's always come off as anti-respectability politics.

One of the many things I've gleaned from reading White's writing is that he is dead-set against the idea of noble suffering under oppression or some kind of inherent strength from living a dignified life in menial jobs or whatever. I loved The Butler, but get where White is coming from in criticizing the way Daniels presents Gaines as a sort of passive saint.

I'm struggling with his Get Out review, especially the part where he mentions "Dave Chappelle's still-puzzling neurosis." But, if nothing else, it's still worth a read to challenge my own love of Get Out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

One of the many things I've gleaned from reading White's writing is that he is dead-set against the idea of noble suffering under oppression or some kind of inherent strength from living a dignified life in menial jobs or whatever. I loved The Butler, but get where White is coming from in criticizing the way Daniels presents Gaines as a sort of passive saint.

I'm struggling with his Get Out review, especially the part where he mentions "Dave Chappelle's still-puzzling neurosis." But, if nothing else, it's still worth a read to challenge my own love of Get Out.

Or his oft-repeated targets - fetishized victimhood and "talented tenth" blackness, both of which are hand in glove with elitism and class heirarchy.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think my only regret from this movie is that I didn't go to a packed evening show. I caught a matinee on Saturday and there was probably less than. 30 people there. I feel like a big crowd would have enhanced this one even more.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I went on Saturday afternoon and had a mid-size crowd in a large theater, and it was totally worth it to hear all the _____cheering_____ from the audience during the last 20 minutes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think my only regret from this movie is that I didn't go to a packed evening show. I caught a matinee on Saturday and there was probably less than. 30 people there. I feel like a big crowd would have enhanced this one even more.

I had the opposite experience. I didn't even consider a horror movie selling out, and when my wife and I showed up the only seats left were in the front row. I'll probably catch it again on video when it comes out, because that was a crazy bad angle to see a movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is sure to rile up some people.

Number one at Box Office, pulling in 30 million weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4270&p=.htm

I am so friggin' happy about this. Probably gonna get stoned as hell and go see this in a few hours.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Glad to see it make it to the top spot. Definitely deserved it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
One guy was audibly saying 'gently caress' and 'loving hell' when everyone thought it was a cop car driving up at the end But there were a lot of cheers when the door opened and 'airport security' was on the side.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

One guy was audibly saying 'gently caress' and 'loving hell' when everyone thought it was a cop car driving up at the end But there were a lot of cheers when the door opened and 'airport security' was on the side.

my theater erupted in cheers at this part

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yup, crowd cheered at same part. It was kind of surreal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This was pretty good but I thought it was a lot stronger before the supernatural angle gets introduced. I get what he was going for but the strained and awkward conversations up top were a lot more interesting and unnerving than the actual horror stuff

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went at noon and there were maybe 30 people in the theater but it was still the most raucous and enthusiastic movie crowd I've been a part of in years. Really great experience, and anyone who is still on the fence about seeing this in theaters or waiting for the DVD PLEASE go see it in theaters, it is so worth it!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Holy christ, had the family's plan worked out, it would've ended with a man in someone else's body, looking at Catherine Keener being happy, unable to look away. Expressly looking at things through a square viewport bordered by nothingness.

Just like this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

morestuff posted:

the supernatural angle gets introduced.

what.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well, while the brain swap stuff isn't accomplished by any supernatural means, it might as well be (not that I think that's a problem).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's like saying the terminator is supernatural because we can't have robot skeletons or send people back through time (and never will be able to). in the fiction of the film there is nothing supernatural.

which is neither here nor there since it made the movie more interesting so he's wrong on two counts.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Having the plot hinge on something impossible makes the movie a little less...relateable? I'm scared of weird tightly-knit cult communities but I'm not afraid of getting my brain stolen.

Though it obviously works better for what the movie was trying to say.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

HellCopter posted:

Having the plot hinge on something impossible makes the movie a little less...relateable? I'm scared of weird tightly-knit cult communities but I'm not afraid of getting my brain stolen.

Though it obviously works better for what the movie was trying to say.

I don't know that I would even describe it as 'less relatable'. Like, maybe yeah, people probably aren't going to be able to literally brain transplant an old white person into the body of a young black person, but it's still a pretty potent metaphor for someone's culture and sense of self/individuality being consumed by white people and made 'palatable' by the latter's standards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i had a good feeling about this flick when the third song in was childish gambino's best (only good?) song (that he sampled from bootsy).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

childish gambino's best (only good?) song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hZCsgcKa-g

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that is a rad song too forgot it. redbone is undoubtedly his best tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

I could help but laugh at her bing search, it was dead quiet in the theater during that part except for my chuckles.

The sound in this movie was amazing.

Same. My friend and I were the only people cackling. Reminded me a bit of the Everytime sequence from Spring Breakers in regards to my reaction vs. the rest of the audience's.

All of my praise would be echoing most of this thread already, so I'll bring up two places that I think keep the film from being an A+. The fight against the mom is edited really poorly and the sequence with the TSA guy in the police station goes on too long and messes with the, until that point, perfect pacing. I actually think if we saw a touch less of him the last scene would have been more powerful.

• Locked thread