Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I just call em brillo pads. They make brass or copper ones that are less harsh than steel wool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I used a copper scrubbing pad to rehab a Lodge pan that had been in a box in a basement and had picked up a lot of surface rust. The reasoning was that steel wool is... well, wooly, and every little particle that came off would be a seed point for more rust if the pan weren't perfectly cleaned. Copper scrubber pads have coils of wider copper ribbon instead of little thin strands, so it would have a better scouring action and wouldn't leave any debris behind.

That was the thinking anyhow, and it turned out well enough. The pan is still in use 3-5 times per week 4 years later. I wouldn't use it for routine cleaning though, that's mostly just a wipe-out with paper towel while it's still hot, maybe an occasional splash of water before wiping once in a while.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah mine never needs more than minor maintenance so I rarely use anything more harsh than a dish rag and water.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i don't use water at all, but then I mostly use it for eggs and cornbread

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I make a lot of hash in it so there are bits of onion and other veggies stuck to it sometimes. I need to make a pizza in there soon.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I make a lot of hash in it so there are bits of onion and other veggies stuck to it sometimes. I need to make a pizza in there soon.

That's what I use the water for, when some bits get stuck. Just a cupped handful tossed in while it's hot loosens everything up pretty well, wipe it out with a paper towel, and the residual heat dries it almost immediately.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The "just cook" mentality is acceptance of the fact that seasoning is an ongoing process, not an end state. You can spend a lot of effort to season your cast iron, and it will look pretty and can cook eggs right up until you get something seriously stuck and have to take off a patch of seasoning to get it clean, or it spontaneously decides to flake off, or whatever. Your seasoning is an ever changing and evolving thing, and will vary from day to day, meal to meal, phase of Venus to phase of Venus, and sometimes you're just going to have to reach for the nonstick pan, or do like your ancestors did and fry that egg in a shitload of fat. Just breathe, and accept it. One day you will despair so much you lob the thing across the yard and swear to buy teflon forevermore, one day you will see the shine of a completely accidental perfect layer of seasoning and weep. The only answer to either situation is to cook more bacon and understand that this too shall pass.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
To reinforce this point, last night I made red wine braised short ribs, and one of the steps is to combine tomato paste with pulverized veggies and red wine and let it reduce, I did this in my cast iron (because I had seared the short ribs in there first). I expected my seasoning to be sloughing off in huge sheets when I was done, but I didn't lose any. I haven't really done any special treatment or seasoning since the initial, and have just been cooking on it for about a year or so. Way stronger than I thought it would be.

\/\/\/ - While my original seasoning was not flax, all of the post-cook oiljobs have been flax, so maybe that's it

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 27, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

But doing it right the first time offers some impressive results and sets you up for a much better chance of not having issues even if you are hard on the pan.

Cooks illustrated tested Flax vs Veg oil by putting the pans in the dishwasher.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Supermarkets are catching on here, I bought a piece of pork shoulder that has been SV'd for 48hrs. All you need to do is heat it up and pull the meat for a sv pp sandwich.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

rndmnmbr posted:

and sometimes you're just going to have to reach for the nonstick pan, or do like your ancestors did and fry that egg in a shitload of fat.
There's things cast-iron isn't good for. Low-and-slow scrambled eggs being one of them.

But for actual fried eggs is it an issue? I've done them on pans after a single oven-seasoning pass with just half a tablespoon of butter (which is also what I use on Teflon pans), and they've come out fine. I mean, you need a sufficiently-hot pan and you have to let them fry a bit, sure. Putting eggs on cold is a disaster, but the same is true for any worn "non-stick" pan too.

If your pan is in a sad state (rust spots, stripped seasoning, etc.) do a once-over in the oven and it's good as "new".

my turn in the barrel posted:

Does this really say anything other than what happens if you put a flax pan in the dish washer? Did they even cook on it? It's also not clear that they followed the same process for vegetable-oil pans or if they just used previously-seasoned pans for comparison.

Folks report that flaxseed pans flake and don't hold up. Whether they do or don't, vegetable-oil/shortening-seasoned pans are a known quantity and well understood. Flax is fine to try if you want, but the evidence that it's better in the long-run is anecdotal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

I'm imagining someone not getting the memo about this test, seeing the pans approach the dishwasher, and just being absolutely horrified. They thought they worked for a good, respectable company with fine, educated people, people who would never do such a thing. Their entire world view just shattering, like a middle school girl watching PETA euthanize a crate of puppies and kittens.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

in my experience that level of histronics is the exclusive domain of hobbyists

professionals would be more likely to actively try to trick each other into ruining poo poo in the dishwasher

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Houses burn down when exposed to fire. 0/0 would not live in house.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
“Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.”

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

OMGVBFLOL posted:

in my experience that level of histronics is the exclusive domain of hobbyists

professionals would be more likely to actively try to trick each other into ruining poo poo in the dishwasher

Or hand them paper towels that have detergent built into the paper.

They are great for cleaning countertops and not much else.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cast iron goons (I know there are several of you!), this is my roommate's Dutch oven. I got him the trivet insert for Christmas, however I think he's given up on this as a lost cause. How would he (or I) go about cleaning this thing and restoring it to working order?

If it helps, I do have the Lodge scrubbing brush:

I also have a chain mail square.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wash it with soap and hot water and the brush and chain mail then report back. For now it just looks like a skillet someone didn't bother washing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, and if you're scrubbing hard, just let some water simmer in there for an hour or two. Wash it again after that. It doesn't look bad, just dirty.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I did as FGR advised and now it looks like this:

Let water simmer in it, are you sure? I'm a little gun-shy of long exposure to water, don't want to rust something that isn't mine.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Letting water simmer in it won't do anything for that rust that's left. I would scrub it with either a very stiff brush or some sandpaper with a little water or white vinegar to help loosen the rust.

Immediately heat the pan afterwards to dry it and start seasoning it to prevent it from rusting more.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I would boil water in it for 15 minutes then drain and break out a scraper to scrape the crud off. Repeat as needed. Pan just looks really dirty.

I use the middle scraper in this set, it's got a metal plate in the middle so it works pretty well but the outer layer is flexible enough to get in the corners.
https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-3-Piece-Bakers-Scrapers/dp/B00N5XN4SO

I scrape the bottoms of my pans with a flat metal ekco style spatula while the water is boiling, though usually the bottoms don't have as much crud as the sides anyways. I quoted a post I made with a picture of what I'm talking about.

Depending on what oil you used for your seasoning and how well it's applied dish soap will screw it up.

If you use a good drying oil like flax or sunflower and follow the technique listed here to apply it you will have a good solid seasoning.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

That seasoning should stand up to an occasional quick wipe and scrub with soap and water but the point of dish soap is to remove burned, baked on food and grease which is what seasoning is.

Soaking in dish soap or using the dishwasher will definitely damage your seasoning. Continuous use of dish soap will definitely prevent fresh seasoning from sticking and probably damage your basecoat.

When I finish cooking in my pans, I scrape any food out with a flexible metal spatula, I use old eckos from garage sales because modern spatulas are garbage that compensate for cheap steel by being thicker. If you don't like shopping at garage sales steal one from your grandma, she probably has a few as they never break.

If the pan is clean I just wipe it dry with a towel and spray on some olive oil and wipe it around, you can heat the pan up a bit so it soaks in a bit more oil but it's not necessary.

If the pan has poo poo stuck in there I heat the pan and throw a cup of water in to deglaze it and scrape it with the spatula again. Now If the pan is clean I just wipe it dry with a towel and spray on some olive oil and wipe it around, you can heat the pan up a bit so it soaks in a bit more oil but it's not necessary.

I have a chainmail scrubber and I have used kosher salt but 99% of the time water is all that's required.

You can also wrap cheesecloth around a handful of kosher salt to make a scrubber.

Walmart seems to be changing which lodge pans they carry. My local store had chicken fryer type deep pans and the Premium griddle on clearance for 50% off. YMMV

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
I tried (re)seasoning my cast iron deep pan (not exactly sure what you'd call it, looks like this:
)

turns out i either used too much oil, too low a temperature in the oven (~180c instead of 200c+), or not long enough in the oven, because the seasoning now looks a gross sorta yellow/brown and is all sticky.

Anyway I won't be doing that when I re-season it, but what's the best way to strip off the sticky poo poo prior to re-seasoning?

I read about using kosher salt (I presume sea salt is the EU equivalent?) + kitchen roll, and this sort of worked on the inside base of the pan, but just the kitchen roll simply disintegrates when you do this on the side of the pan.

Also! Is there any special technique for seasoning lids?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

I tried (re)seasoning my cast iron deep pan (not exactly sure what you'd call it, looks like this:
)

turns out i either used too much oil, too low a temperature in the oven (~180c instead of 200c+), or not long enough in the oven, because the seasoning now looks a gross sorta yellow/brown and is all sticky.

Anyway I won't be doing that when I re-season it, but what's the best way to strip off the sticky poo poo prior to re-seasoning?

I read about using kosher salt (I presume sea salt is the EU equivalent?) + kitchen roll, and this sort of worked on the inside base of the pan, but just the kitchen roll simply disintegrates when you do this on the side of the pan.

I believe that's a Dutch oven. You should be shooting for 260 Celsius (500 Fahrenheit). Best way to strip off and start from scratch? IMO, put it in the oven and run the self-clean. Lids are cast iron same as the rest so nothing special there, probably best to leave it with the seasoning it shipped with but if you already stripped it then season it the same as any other CI cookware.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

)

If you got too much seasoning I'd probably run it through an oven clean cycle to carbonize everything then scrub it well and reseason (with a lot less this time).

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

my oven doesn't have a self clean cycle. are there any other alternatives?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Put it as high as it goes for a couple of hours.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do you have access to a charcoal grill or fire pit? You can make a nice fire, put a grate on top, and season that way. Do parks in Europe have grills? Or is that a weird american thing.

\/\/ you took the time and explained it a lot better then me though. Great minds think alike and all that \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 6, 2017

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Thick yellow goo is too thick a layer of oil, even if you get it hot enough it will still not bond to the pan correctly.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Put it as high as it goes for a couple of hours.

That won't be hot enough. Cleaning cycles run at 900F.

You can use oven cleaner to strip it. You can also use a wire brush but that will not be very efficient.

If you know anyone with a Charcoal grill you can just put it in with the coals and it will get it hot enough to strip it. Also the coals in a campfire work. Just let the fire go out and let it cool before moving it if you use a grill or campfire as it will be over 900F and easy to warp or crack if you don't let it cool. Also remove the knob on the top if it's not cast iron like the one in your picture.

Edit: beaten

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you have access to a charcoal grill or fire pit?
nope, not in the middle of the city here!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do parks in Europe have grills? Or is that a weird american thing.
more just fire pits for disposable BBQs or people to bring their own grills? not really, maybe if you're lucky.

Thick yellow goo is too thick a layer of oil, even if you get it hot enough it will still not bond to the pan correctly.

You can use oven cleaner to strip it.

I think this'll be my best bet. Thanks!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

more just fire pits for disposable BBQs or people to bring their own grills? not really, maybe if you're lucky.

Wear gloves as it will kind of eat your skin. Spray the pan all over, I like to use the foaming kind so I can see what I hit. Place in a black garbage bag and tie off and place in the sun for a few hours. Scrape the crud off into garbage can outside and then rinse and scrub with a brush. Repeat if needed.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

There are parks here with little grills for people to use and they almost always look like they've survived decades of nuclear war.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There are parks here with little grills for people to use and they almost always look like they've survived decades of nuclear war.

The Picnic Area is a sacred tradition in american parks. No matter where you live, you still have your god given bald eagle crying american right to grill.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

The Picnic Area is a sacred tradition in american parks. No matter where you live, you still have your god given bald eagle crying american right to grill.

The best are the ones at highway rest stops, which I have never seen in use. Presumably at some point there were people who would load a cooler with hamburgers and hot dogs, pack the kids in the car in the early morning, and drive 30 miles to enjoy a leisurely cookout 100 yards from an interstate highway and 20 miles from anything else.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I have seen them in use, but then again I live in a tourist state. People on long road trips stop for a break/lunch before heading back on the road. Some of the rest stops even have playgrounds.

Now, someone camped out at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere to heat empty cookware - that would be weird.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

hogmartin posted:

The best are the ones at highway rest stops, which I have never seen in use. Presumably at some point there were people who would load a cooler with hamburgers and hot dogs, pack the kids in the car in the early morning, and drive 30 miles to enjoy a leisurely cookout 100 yards from an interstate highway and 20 miles from anything else.

"Look, kids! Another convoy of semis!"

"Ooooh!, a FedEx triple trailer!"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I used my cast iron to make a buncha dinosaur chicken nuggets at a college party, and everyone complimented my skillet :kiddo:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Enigma posted:

I have seen them in use, but then again I live in a tourist state. People on long road trips stop for a break/lunch before heading back on the road. Some of the rest stops even have playgrounds.

Now, someone camped out at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere to heat empty cookware - that would be weird.

I have fond memories of highway rest stops. We RV'ed a lot when I was a kid, and overnighting at a rest stop was a cheap way to see America. Heroic driver dad could get us from Long Island to Orlando in two or three hops, so we'd time it so that we'd get out of school early at noon, beat the traffic getting through the Bronx, miss the traffic by DC, and get to this rest stop near Richmond by nighfall. Then it'd be 10 hours to Orlando. But there would always be traffic in Jacksonville going over the stupid bridge that was always under construction, so sometime's we'd just stop in Jacksonville for a night at Hanna Park.

Now we live in Jacksonville. They only just finished that stupid bridge when we moved here, and now they're re-doing half the drat thing. I will never escape I-95 Jacksonville traffic so long as I live.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

"Look, kids! Another convoy of semis!"

"Ooooh!, a FedEx triple trailer!"

There are far more interesting sights at highway rest areas.

:a2m:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

But there would always be traffic in Jacksonville going over the stupid bridge that was always under construction, so sometime's we'd just stop in Jacksonville for a night at Hanna Park.

Haha I got this far and thought "They're still doing construction on that bridge."

Suspect Bucket posted:

Now we live in Jacksonville. They only just finished that stupid bridge when we moved here, and now they're re-doing half the drat thing. I will never escape I-95 Jacksonville traffic so long as I live.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppp