Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Solemn Sloth posted:

High school sport is serious business

The problem is football is sometimes the only way out of poverty for a lot of families so you can see a scenario where parents would force kids back on the ground in the hope of it leading them into money way down the line, despite the fact it would probably do exactly the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Has anyone watched that documentary Trophy Kids? It's on Netflix. It sure is something.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Mitch Hannan is not the first person to have his front teeth knocked out in Cranbourne.

Could be worse though, at least he wasn't named Lions captain like poor Dayne Beams

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Gold Coast is playing silly buggers ... and we are the club that is leading the AFL into China. We have bought this game — and paid good money for it. We are the ones who are committed for the next sort of 10 years to play a game in China each year. We had a number of other clubs that wanted to play us this year and there is no shortage of clubs that want to leverage our work in China.

“As I have said to (Gold Coast chairman) Tony Cochrane, if you wear the red-and-gold jumper it will be the last time we will play you in China. It is up to you.

Nice meltdown

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

what a loving prat. forcing GC to play it as their home game then try to put them over the barrel about it over which jumper to wear. its like they've taken up all their frustration about collingwood not letting them wear black and white and projected it onto gold coast

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Port don't even have to wear their away jumper since there's no clash, he's just chucking a loving three year old tantrum a federal mp would be proud of

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

As the only Port support here....gently caress this is petty and stupid, how did we not think of this BEFORE we asked the suns to play in China...even still, it's their bloody colours, why should they change it hahaha.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also weren't Gold Coast reluctant to play in China anyways until the AFL made them?

So they'll go "We get to wear our home jersey AND we don't have to play here next year? Sounds good to us."

edit: Another thing. Is Koch so scared/petty/precious that the few curious and baffled Chinese people watching the game might barrack for the opposition due to the colour of the jersey? Something like that is easily fixed. If he was really serious about breaking into China, do a media blitz in the preseason, (now), send a few players over for photo ops etc. Or if you don't want to send them to Shanghai, just take a bunch of pictures in Chinatown in Adelaide and circulate them to whichever station that is broadcasting the game in China. I mean, what's the worse that can happen from allowing GC to wear red? The Port players get a few half hearted boos in a chinese accent?

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 28, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Port don't even have to wear their away jumper since there's no clash, he's just chucking a loving three year old tantrum a federal mp would be proud of

I think the concern is that the Chinese people are going to see a team wearing red and gold and they will automatically think "OH HEY, CHINESE NATIONAL TEAM. GO SUNS GO!" which is a whole new level of condescending.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Personally if I were Koch I'd be more worried about losing supporter opportunities due to Gold Coast loving pantsing them in the match than due to Gold Coast happening to wear the colours of the glorious CPC

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The whole concept of taking a game to China doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyway, even taking a game to New Zealand was a huge stretch.

Anyway, first injury for Adelaide, Cam Ellis Yolmen ruptured an ACL 5 minutes into the Richmond JLT game. Not great news for him, especially since this is the last year of his contract.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

The whole concept of taking a game to China doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyway, even taking a game to New Zealand was a huge stretch.

Anyway, first injury for Adelaide, Cam Ellis Yolmen ruptured an ACL 5 minutes into the Richmond JLT game. Not great news for him, especially since this is the last year of his contract.

He basically said on the radio over here they are expecting it to bring in a large revenue from an untapped market and we need the money to compete with the larger teams.

edit: (not basically, he said exactly that.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cloud the Cat posted:

He basically said on the radio over here they are expecting it to bring in a large revenue from an untapped market and we need the money to compete with the larger teams.

edit: (not basically, he said exactly that.)

Yeah, I get that the end goal is to make more money, but China? If there was that much money there that could actually be had, there'd be an NFL game in Beijing or Shanghai every year, surely?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, I get that the end goal is to make more money, but China? If there was that much money there that could actually be had, there'd be an NFL game in Beijing or Shanghai every year, surely?

It's a relatively untapped market with surprisingly little major domestic competition. I guess they're taking the chance that the middle class is well enough entrenched they might be willing to give this AFL thing a go?

IMHO AFL is definitely a sport that will grow if you're prepared to play the long game and get kids into the sport. If you're going to take the Soccer approach and just play some friendlies on the other side of the world, you're going to get big hot nothing.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

just throwing the idea out there - but lets looks at the long term likelihood of whats going to happen from capitalising on the market in china. if the game takes in a burgeoning domestic sports scene with new leagues getting set up they wont be exporting players to australia, if anything they will be hiring players from australia to play in china. so on the extremely slim chance this all goes gangbusters the long term effect will be a talent drain to the australian pool of players, which was only recently diluted by the new expansion teams.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to the Shanghai threepeat

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cunnington got a week for kneeing Duryea in the head. I thought it was accidental when I saw it, but on replay it does sort of look deliberate. Sort of, maybe. Pretty harsh.

https://www.twitter.com/NMFCOfficial/status/836078584468905985

edit: why won't that embed the tweet? :argh:

realbez fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 28, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also weren't Gold Coast reluctant to play in China anyways until the AFL made them?

So they'll go "We get to wear our home jersey AND we don't have to play here next year? Sounds good to us."

edit: Another thing. Is Koch so scared/petty/precious that the few curious and baffled Chinese people watching the game might barrack for the opposition due to the colour of the jersey? Something like that is easily fixed. If he was really serious about breaking into China, do a media blitz in the preseason, (now), send a few players over for photo ops etc. Or if you don't want to send them to Shanghai, just take a bunch of pictures in Chinatown in Adelaide and circulate them to whichever station that is broadcasting the game in China. I mean, what's the worse that can happen from allowing GC to wear red? The Port players get a few half hearted boos in a chinese accent?
Get Chad Wingard onto If You Are The One

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

Cunnington got a week for kneeing Duryea in the head. I thought it was accidental when I saw it, but on replay it does sort of look deliberate. Sort of, maybe. Pretty harsh.

https://www.twitter.com/NMFCOfficial/status/836078584468905985

edit: why won't that embed the tweet? :argh:
The vast majority of the contact there is caused by Duryea, I can't see it being deliberate at all.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Testekill posted:

The vast majority of the contact there is caused by Duryea, I can't see it being deliberate at all.

It's an awkward one, I can only assume they're planning on aggressively defending the head this season. He said, knowing the Match Tribunal had ignored several other instances of players getting hit in the head.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looks a lot like an instance in the Melbourne game that was paid the other way for contact below the knees. Main difference is blood.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah the only way I can see them justifying it is that in the last split second he didn't really look like he was going for the ball. In reality all he is doing is bracing to cop duryea's ugly head in the knee. Any punishment is harsh but they gave him 2 down to 1 which is completely absurd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Apparently there's going to be some kind of tournament in Shanghai the day before for AFL Asia teams, my club in Japan will likely compose the majority of the Japan side but I'm not sure where the other teams will come from. I know Shanghai and South China have teams, not sure if other SE Asia clubs are coming up for the balance or not.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
There's a bit of chat that the Freo CEO might make the jump over to the Hawks CEO position at some point, hopefully after Fyfe signs.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Obviously he is bringing Fyfe with him :toot:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Spedman posted:

There's a bit of chat that the Freo CEO might make the jump over to the Hawks CEO position at some point, hopefully after Fyfe signs.

dont worry hawthorn would never poach a star player from another team

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFLW games to remain free in 2018. They want to build up a supporter base first. Makes sense and it doesn't cost the AFL much at all to run this competition (each clubs playing list is paid ~$300k and then costs of staff and facilities ontop of that isn't too much either)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-01/aflw-to-remain-free-of-charge-in-2018?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just hope they have 2 FTA games a week next year. And in 2019 when 1 or two more clubs join the competition it'll start to pick up steam with more supporters of existing clubs brought into the fold.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

That might be Roarke Smith done; third year as a rookie and it looks like he hurt the knee that he did the ACL in a couple of years ago. That's a massive shame, he's basically Wood's Mini-Me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Daisy Pearce posted:

Until this year our games were rarely filmed from any angle, let alone three, and my stats had been recorded less than half a dozen times. Games were appraised simply by feel.

Things are much more transparent now; our games broadcast live and replayed from three different views. Detailed stats are counted and published for all to see. I've already had a handful of habits brought to my attention. Habits I have probably had, unknowingly, for the majority of my 200-plus game career - my defaults when I'm fatigued, tendencies when I'm playing on a bigger-bodied opponent and running patterns that reduce my effectiveness. While confronting at times, the vision and data is playing a huge role in our improvement. The challenge now is that when things aren't going well, it is printed in black and white for everyone to see.

I have been asked a number of times what I thought about last week's back-page article in The Age that scrutinised Moana Hope's early-season form. Fundamentally, I think it's good that there is level of scrutiny because it suggests that we are being taken seriously. If our poor performances were ignored, or if obvious deficiencies in the game style across AFLW were not highlighted, would that not mean that less is expected of us because we are female? That the world is setting us a lower bar?

However, there needs to be an understanding that AFLW is in the embryonic stages. The goal is to become a fully professional competition, but we are not there yet.

Players are paid for nine hours of football "work" a week and most work other jobs to supplement their football income. Shelley Scott, our centre-half forward at Melbourne, runs a dairy farm near Colac. She originally had about 150 head of cattle but now has 56 head and only one milk a day so she can manage it during the AFLW season. She gets up at 5am each day. On training nights she drives to Geelong and from there carpools to AAMI Park with Lily Mithen, Richelle Cranston and Maddie Boyd. We finish training, dinner and our team meetings by 9:30pm, and it's nearly midnight when she gets back to the farm. Lauren Pearce, our ruck, is a childcare worker and is sometimes a bit late to training because she can't leave work until the last kid is collected. Our full back is a landscaper who was up a tree when she found out she'd been drafted. Our vice-captain is an accountant, our forward pocket was a postie but has recently changed jobs because now that her training load has increased she was finding her legs were too heavy from riding her push bike every day.

Moana Hope manages a traffic control company. In terms of her professionalism and what should be expected of her, she is more like Peter Hudson than Buddy Franklin. I always thought that this might be one of the challenges we would face.

We won't be given the opportunity to evolve with the media industry that examines us; instead we will be thrust under the lens of an industry that is bigger than ever.

The scrutiny and analysis of AFL football has evolved at a similar rate to the professionalism and sophistication of the athletes within it. In the semi-professional era (1970-1980), when players were working day jobs like we are now, there was one TV broadcaster, a couple of newspapers and radio stations and a score of journalists. Fast forward to 2017 and there are hundreds of journalists, analytical football shows on every night and an digital platform that allows the industry to operate 24/7. So while Moana Hope leads a life more like Peter Hudson, she is subject to the media scrutiny and expectation of a modern, professional player.

I eagerly accepted the offer to be one of two marquee players at Melbourne knowing it would be a double edged sword. On one hand I saw tremendous opportunity – the opportunity to play with the added bonus of knowing where I would play, but also the commercial opportunities that might come with it.

In less than a year we have gone from amateur footballers who worked full time and payed fees to play on weekends to being paid to play, featuring in ad campaigns, driving sponsored cars and working the corporate circuit. The benefits of being a high profile player are obvious and many of us have enjoyed them, none more than Mo.

I also knew that being a marquee player would bring increased expectation. And it has! The week after the 16 marquee players were announced I was caught holding in the VFL. As the tackler got up to take the free kick she pushed me into the ground and hissed a sarcastic reminder that I was a marquee player – as if to say I should never make a mistake.

I understand that the more a player appears to be "cashing in", the more entitled onlookers feel to scrutinise poor performance.

Unlike high-profile male footballers, who gain a reputation through performance, we have been introduced as the best in the game as part of the league's marketing strategy. Fans have been told we are outstanding and so they expect us to be outstanding right now.

I understand that the more a player appears to be "cashing in", the more entitled onlookers feel to scrutinise poor performance. So I have come up with my own version of a carbon emissions offset strategy. I offset anything I do (an ad, a sponsorship deal or commercial kick-back) that has the potential to heighten expectation by doing an extra skills or recovery session, training harder or watching more vision. If I've done as much as I can to maximise my performance, I will know I did what I could.

Many viewers might only know a handful of names, Moana Hope being one of them. It's not unusual for a player to have a quiet patch. Particularly when they're adjusting to playing in a new team, a new game style, with added expectation. I'm sure Mo is working hard to adjust.

I'm not asking for sympathy. I am thrilled with the opportunity I have. It's just about understanding where this competition is coming from, and giving the players time to adjust to its demands.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Great article. Got a source?

Edit: Found it http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/daisy-pearce-column-being-an-aflw-marquee-player-is-a-doubleedged-sword-20170301-guonjp.html

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 2, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne and the Lions clear premiership favourites imo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Melbourne and the Lions clear premiership favourites imo

Been a while since that statement had last been said

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Been a while since that statement had last been said

The 1940s are more recent than you think!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
When was the year that Cam Bruce was a Brownlow favourite?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I still think it's a real lovely time but there are advantages to a 5:05 Friday start like getting to knock off early and walk round the corner to watch the game on the tv

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Umpire calls a smother out on the full against us, the resulting free goes out on the full by three full metres and they throw it in.

Okay.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Note to umpires. It's not dropping the ball if they kick it with their loving foot you stupid goddamn motherfucking clowns. But thanks for giving them a free goal headstart in the wet because you're too loving retarded to officiate the most basic loving rule in the game

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

spamman posted:

When was the year that Cam Bruce was a Brownlow favourite?

would have 05 or 06, pretty sure it was 05

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You'd think you would be pretty safe recruiting a dry weather team when the season runs in February and loving March but nope 40% of our games it's pissing loving down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I like it when the umpire punishes players for staying on their feet by giving a free to the one who falls over when they push off against each other when going for the ball.

• Locked thread