Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Whoa poo poo, more W outside of TV today:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/836438164348813312

"I don't like the racism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

I think that literally the only way trump doesn't go down in history as one of the worst leaders of all time is if there's no one left alive.

ftfy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

facialimpediment posted:

Whoa poo poo, more W outside of TV today:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/836438164348813312

Trump doesn't like the people who feel alienated either, that's the problem.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People started making "Miss me yet?" memes 8 years too early.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

facialimpediment posted:

goddamn

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I get the feeling that the whole Iraq war thing is something that eats at him every single day of his life. As it should. I just don't get that feeling from other presidents or administrations when it comes to their mistakes costing lives.
Or something. I dunno.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I get the feeling that the whole Iraq war thing is something that eats at him every single day of his life. As it should. I just don't get that feeling from other presidents or administrations when it comes to their mistakes costing lives.
Or something. I dunno.

That + Katrina

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'd link that sick remix by Legendary K.O. set to Kanye's Gold Digger, but YouTube removed all the audio tracks :smith:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
That kanye outburst made me a fan for life

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Mexican restaurant owner in predominantly Trump supporting town detained by ICE, town upset and suddenly realizing immigration is a complicated issue

quote:

Though the community largely backed Trump — who has made an aggressive stance on immigration central to his agenda and has promised to deport millions of immigrants who have no permission to live here — many residents of West Frankfort said Hernandez' case has complicated their views on immigration policy.

"I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that," Lori Barron, the owner of a beauty salon, told The New York Times. "But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it's absolutely terrible that he could be taken away."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i was in iraq when this happened so i totally missed out on this cultural landmark of our society

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Confirmed: Trump orders his steak well done and eats it with ketchup

smh ladies and gentleman our president

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. Because most Anglos do not know "illegal immigrants" except from what they hear on the news, but they do know the nice Mr. Hernandez who doesn't talk about his legal status around the natives.

I was at a BBQ my cousin's wife was hosting and a lot of friends from Walmart -- where she works -- were there, and some friends from a local car shop. Note she is Mexican and most of these guests were Mexican. We're outside drinking beers and everyone was speaking English until someone's name came up, and she mentioned the fella had to "go back" for a bit, then someone was like "que?" and my cuz switched to Spanish to talk about his lack of papelas.

A lot of shops, businesses and small towns in red America are only around because of immigrants of varying legal status.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

But what happens in 100 years when someone defaces the painting? Does the Don burst free from his canvas prison, empowered beyond reckoning by cosmic ink horrors?

mlmp08 posted:

I admit I know essentially nothing about painting. But something about W's paintings is soothing to me.

His paintings are very candid, he's personally no great artist but you can tell he paints more as a way to deal with the weight of former presidency.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nice to see my home county representing.

Carlos is a good man and doesn't deserve the poo poo he's being put through, and West Frankfort is a cesspool of white trash fuckbags that never thought they'd take "one of the good ones" because it never crossed their racist fuckin minds that the Mexican that would volunteer at town functions and ran the best Mexican restaurant in the county might not have his paperwork finished.

gently caress everyone in that town, gently caress everyone in that county; they're all collectively the reason I left.

Edit: I have this weird compulsion whenever I see this story to basically say "they all suck and I left so I wouldn't end up like them, I'm not like that"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

“I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between “people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help.”

quote:

Mr. Grigsby said he still would vote for Mr. Trump. One never agrees with everything a politician does, “but maybe this should all be more on a per-case basis,” he said. “It’s hard to be black and white on this because there may be people like Carlos.”

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

But what happens in 100 years when someone defaces the painting? Does the Don burst free from his canvas prison, empowered beyond reckoning by cosmic ink horrors?
Bring me a child that I might live again!

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 28, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010
ICE snatched up 5 people living next door to the coffee shop I go to on the weekend. I didn't know them but the owner of the coffee shop was pretty upset about it.
I feel bad for all these kids that have parents getting snatched up. Like sorry kid, your mom isn't gonna pick you up today because she is on her way to Mexico after a nice 6 month stay in a federal cell, never mind that she is from Guatemala!

Also you know a lot of those kids end up in foster care too, which is heartbreaking.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

bengy81 posted:

ICE snatched up 5 people living next door to the coffee shop I go to on the weekend. I didn't know them but the owner of the coffee shop was pretty upset about it.
I feel bad for all these kids that have parents getting snatched up. Like sorry kid, your mom isn't gonna pick you up today because she is on her way to Mexico after a nice 6 month stay in a federal cell, never mind that she is from Guatemala!

Also you know a lot of those kids end up in foster care too, which is heartbreaking.

So what do you think should happen?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I like bush's paintings. They aren't particularly good, but they have something behind them. Like some sort of permanent sadness or something. He paints like a good country musician, it's not technically complicated but it's got heart.

Maybe it's just me reading into it because I know who bush is though :shrug:

Also as someone who uses uber for business related stuff in Chicago, it is miles ahead of taxis in both cost, customer service/complaints, and dependability. I can charge it directly to the company credit card, it's always on time, and doesn't try anything slimy. The one time I had an Uber driver gently caress me around I filed a complaint and within a half an hour had gotten a credit for another ride put on our account. I have never had a serious issue getting crews to job sites in the hundreds of trips I have requested.
Though I will say when I'm on the road and not in an Uber they are some of the worst loving drivers I have ever seen in my life. They have all of the aggressiveness, bravado, and disregard for the rules the taxi drivers have, but with none of the skill or awareness. I have almost run down so many of them in a truck because they are so bad at driving. Especially in the loop. I guess that's what you get when you have suburban motherfuckers driving in the city.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Richard Bong posted:

I like bush's paintings. They aren't particularly good, but they have something behind them. Like some sort of permanent sadness or something. He paints like a good country musician, it's not technically complicated but it's got heart.

It's got Wu

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Also as someone who uses uber for business related stuff in Chicago, it is miles ahead of taxis in both cost, customer service/complaints, and dependability. I can charge it directly to the company credit card, it's always on time, and doesn't try anything slimy. The one time I had an Uber driver gently caress me around I filed a complaint and within a half an hour had gotten a credit for another ride put on our account. I have never had a serious issue getting crews to job sites in the hundreds of trips I have requested.
Though I will say when I'm on the road and not in an Uber they are some of the worst loving drivers I have ever seen in my life. They have all of the aggressiveness, bravado, and disregard for the rules the taxi drivers have, but with none of the skill or awareness. I have almost run down so many of them in a truck because they are so bad at driving. Especially in the loop. I guess that's what you get when you have suburban motherfuckers driving in the city.

"I'm a big fan of our new supplier that relies on child labor. They always deliver on time, and you wouldn't believe how cheap they are! We don't hear any complaints, and their little fingers are great for putting together those finer pieces."

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

bengy81 posted:

Is that like, a thing that already happened under a different name? Cos it sure as poo poo sounds like the secret police rounding up undesirables :stare:

They have a cartoon villain name and everything

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That they shouldn't snatch up parents at peewee football practice and elementary schools?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pesticide20 posted:

It's got Wu

I thought that was Sitting Bulls neck plate thingy. :v:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Or something. I dunno.

I imagine that deep down Dubya is possibly a good person who made horrible/idiotic choices.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

DoktorLoken posted:

I imagine that deep down Dubya is possibly a good person who made horrible/idiotic choices.

He may be but I met Rumsfield in 06 and Cheney that same year.

Those men are a special kind of evil. They were powerful, and evil. I could just tell.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

It just occurred to me that the man whose motto is almost effectively 'hail Satan' has been allowed into the Vatican on more than one occasion.

Hail. Satan.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"I'm a big fan of our new supplier that relies on child labor. They always deliver on time, and you wouldn't believe how cheap they are! We don't hear any complaints, and their little fingers are great for putting together those finer pieces."

Well, when taxi drivers can manage to show up on time or at all, I'll look at using them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Well, when taxi drivers can manage to show up on time or at all, I'll look at using them.

It's a not a great situation, frankly. Taxis and everything surrounding them are generally poo poo, yet Uber does everything it can to scrape the bottom of the barrel as far as exploitative labor practices are concerned.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

the credit card machine is broken

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Uber the company will probably die sooner or later but the concept of "ride share" services are here to stay. They're going to get more expensive though once the VC dollar bubble pops for them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

poo poo like this is why I want to stay far away from anything that reeks of startup or techbro.

"Hey you don't have a job anymore because we spent payroll on a ball pit, and/or are being sued out of existence for industrial espionage."

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Best Friends posted:

Uber the company will probably die sooner or later but the concept of "ride share" services are here to stay. They're going to get more expensive though once the VC dollar bubble pops for them.

Uber's entire business plan relies on forcing other players out and getting a monopoly, without that they are bust. They're burning huge amounts of cash on purpose to do this.

So they either get a monopoly or die.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Casimir Radon posted:

People started making "Miss me yet?" memes 8 years too early.

Someone should start making "Miss us yet?" memes featuring Bush & Obama, and finally heal the great American divide.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
gently caress bush. Nothing he does can redeem him and his posse.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

We could maybe actually fund immigration and naturalization agencies, get the cost to immigrants down tom less than they make in yearly salaries plural and make the process rake less than what 8 9 years?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

gently caress bush. Nothing he does can redeem him and his posse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I'm not disputing that he was a garbage president, but at least he seemed to have some underlying humanity and understanding as to how governing works compared to the orange trash golem.

• Locked thread