Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

Yo. Get Out is real loving good

I'm seeing it this weekend if I can pull myself away from BotW long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Apparently in Cameroon there is one of those dank meme things based on a handshake between a politician and somebody else. It is somehow so popular that they made a music video dedicated to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwK5kmlzfDM

It's based on this picture:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That movie was the most amazing takedown of white objectification of black people. From liberal to conservative I have ever seen.

So many things that didn't click until right at the reveal.

spoilers yo.

The Grandmother loving how black women look and how beautiful they are constantly looking in the mirror and reflections of herself.
The Grandfather who lost to Jessie Owens doing nothing but running around the property at night now he can run "like a black dude".
Why Lakeith Stanfield's character did a dumb spin when introducing himself to the other people at the party, he's showing himself off to the other guests like "look at me".
The Brother who thinks that thinks black people are genetically stronger and superior, but he is super duper smart and tacticool.

And they all died because they all underestimated his mind and didn't see him as a person(also lmao at picking cotton from a chair literally being the thing that saved him) I can't figure out the Dad and the mom, but the Brother got outsmarted by Christ thinking ahead to and forcing a reaction to him opening a door creating opportunity for the killshot. The Girlfriend died due to her trusting someone who she thought was there for her but betrayed her. Only thing I can think of with the Dad is how he talked about how he hated black people deer and wished they could be purged from the earth. But maybe that's the only thing. And The Mom I have no idea. He got stabbed in his hand or something and then turned it around.

There was only one person in the entire movie who saw Chris as anything but a dumb sack of meat. That Blind art dealer. He knew what was going on was bullshit and wrong, He saw Chris's person-hood through his art and IIRC was the only one to talk to Chris about anything but his physical traits or tragic past. but he was blinded(see what I did there) by his own problems so much that he was okay with whoever he hurt to get his own problems solved. Plus it's not like he could have done anything personally to stop it anyway...

He even said something to the effect of, It's not racism it's economic an...Well I don't hate black people and I see you for you unlike these people, but I want my own problems fixed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Love Stole the Day posted:

Apparently in Cameroon there is one of those dank meme things based on a handshake between a politician and somebody else. It is somehow so popular that they made a music video dedicated to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwK5kmlzfDM

It's based on this picture:

This is so great. Everybody post more things like this. I love other countries' memes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is so great. Everybody post more things like this. I love other countries' memes.

I've always enjoyed this video for Just A Band's Ha He which features a Kenyan internet meme Makmende. It's almost the video's seventh anniversary (!), too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mG1vIeETHc

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

That movie was the most amazing takedown of white objectification of black people. From liberal to conservative I have ever seen.

So many things that didn't click until right at the reveal.

spoilers yo.

The Grandmother loving how black women look and how beautiful they are constantly looking in the mirror and reflections of herself.
The Grandfather who lost to Jessie Owens doing nothing but running around the property at night now he can run "like a black dude".
Why Lakeith Stanfield's character did a dumb spin when introducing himself to the other people at the party, he's showing himself off to the other guests like "look at me".
The Brother who thinks that thinks black people are genetically stronger and superior, but he is super duper smart and tacticool.

And they all died because they all underestimated his mind and didn't see him as a person(also lmao at picking cotton from a chair literally being the thing that saved him) I can't figure out the Dad and the mom, but the Brother got outsmarted by Christ thinking ahead to and forcing a reaction to him opening a door creating opportunity for the killshot. The Girlfriend died due to her trusting someone who she thought was there for her but betrayed her. Only thing I can think of with the Dad is how he talked about how he hated black people deer and wished they could be purged from the earth. But maybe that's the only thing. And The Mom I have no idea. He got stabbed in his hand or something and then turned it around.

There was only one person in the entire movie who saw Chris as anything but a dumb sack of meat. That Blind art dealer. He knew what was going on was bullshit and wrong, He saw Chris's person-hood through his art and IIRC was the only one to talk to Chris about anything but his physical traits or tragic past. but he was blinded(see what I did there) by his own problems so much that he was okay with whoever he hurt to get his own problems solved. Plus it's not like he could have done anything personally to stop it anyway...

He even said something to the effect of, It's not racism it's economic an...Well I don't hate black people and I see you for you unlike these people, but I want my own problems fixed.

I wanted to check out this film for many reasons, but now I'm scared and have a question:

If I see this movie, am I going to laugh at myself Key and Peele style, or will my wrists be cut when my white fragility shatters like a plate glass window?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im just glad that the movie seems to be avoiding all of the poo poo that I avoided their tv show for.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The one trailer I saw for the movie reminded me of the movie Skeleton Key from 2005. Is it about a husband/wife luring young people out to do a hoodoo body-swap or was that bad trailer cutting?

EDIT: In Skeleton Key the body snatchers were deliberately using white people because white people can get away with just about anything as long as they aren't being too obvious about whatever they're doing, so that may be where the similarities to the trailer to Get Out end.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 28, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

It's kind of like how every single person considers all the other English speakers to be the ones with accents/dialects, etc. Each person's English is the real language from which all those other people mutated their versions. I've heard people tell black people to "speak English" more than once just because they didn't understand the slang they were using. It's a dumb assumed position of superiority where a sane and polite person would just be like "Sorry, I didn't get that. Could you clarify?"

I once spent 45 minutes trying to explain to my father why he was wrong when he said that only people from his part of the country didn't have an accent (we are from the United States). I asked him whether people would be able to tell where he was from by the way he spoke if he went to England and he said, "yes." I asked him what that meant and he said that over there they speak it all funny like in Mary Poppins so they would know when they heard someone speaking normal, correct English.

White baby boomers are incredibly dangerous for having grown up in a white-supremacist world that both coddled and catered to them and hadn't yet invented irony. No joke I think irony in entertainment gave me the distance to understand and learn how to practice critical self-reflection. For my father it is literally impossible.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jack Gladney posted:

I once spent 45 minutes trying to explain to my father why he was wrong when he said that only people from his part of the country didn't have an accent (we are from the United States). I asked him whether people would be able to tell where he was from by the way he spoke if he went to England and he said, "yes." I asked him what that meant and he said that over there they speak it all funny like in Mary Poppins so they would know when they heard someone speaking normal, correct English.

White baby boomers are incredibly dangerous for having grown up in a white-supremacist world that both coddled and catered to them and hadn't yet invented irony. No joke I think irony in entertainment gave me the distance to understand and learn how to practice critical self-reflection. For my father it is literally impossible.

You can expand this to a TON of cultural norms. Much like accent, there's a lot of stuff we can assume is the 'default'. My wife is a different race from me and grew up in a different country than I did and I really took it for granted that she'd have the same 'norms' as I would.

I don't think it's just a white boomer thing though, any culturally homogenous community is going to have the problem. I'm not giving other millennials a pass just because irony was invented in their lifetimes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I'm not giving other millennials a pass just because irony was invented in their lifetimes.

This is incredibly important. Thank you for saying it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jack Gladney posted:

This is incredibly important. Thank you for saying it.

And something else I wanted to mention is the awful rise of 'ironic' racism in an attempt to be edgy which really isn't all that different from passive-aggressive forms of bigotry from older generations. These things don't magically spring forth fully formed from some bigots head like some racist Athena. They were learned.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Chilichimp posted:

I wanted to check out this film for many reasons, but now I'm scared and have a question:

If I see this movie, am I going to laugh at myself Key and Peele style, or will my wrists be cut when my white fragility shatters like a plate glass window?

Yes

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I'm gonna assume my 4 year old shouldn't see this one... yet.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I'm gonna assume my 4 year old shouldn't see this one... yet.

Best case scenario she has no idea what's going on and doesn't care, but that is the BEST. For real though don't bring your 4 year old she won't get it on so many levels and could be legit terrified.

Bring your loud rear end family.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I dunno if a 4 year old would get terrified outside of the last 15 or so minutes. I don't think a 4 year old would really get what was so unsettling about all of those interactions.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Aaand the Trump thread is now defending blackface. "I can think of something more racist than that, which means it's fine!"

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
He always thinks of himself, so everything's fine

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Aaand the Trump thread is now defending blackface. "I can think of something more racist than that, which means it's fine!"

Outside of literally enslaving or murdering other races, I cannot think of something more racist than black-face.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

Outside of literally enslaving or murdering other races, I cannot think of something more racist than black-face.

Don't you know that criticizing blackface just alienates people who like blackface :colbert:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Don't you know that criticizing blackface just alienates people who like blackface :colbert:

Yes. :colbert:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sounds like a win-win to me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Throwing out N--bombs in a modern day society is pretty heinous

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Well that's a relief!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Little reminder that we have a Race and Gender in Horror thread that hasn't seen much love in a while, and might be a pretty nice place for some detailed chat about Get Out.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Throwing out N--bombs in a modern day society is pretty heinous

As horrible as slurs are... I still think blackface is more offensive. It just takes mocking to another drat level.

But I mean, poo poo, outrage is not objective.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 28, 2017

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, I'm not sure racism Olympics is a good game to play.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/betsy-devos-hbcu-historically-black-colleges-235498

quote:

“HBCUs are real pioneers when it comes to school choice,” DeVos said in the statement, released Monday night in advance of Trump’s planned signing of an executive order giving the schools more clout. “They are living proof that when more options are provided to students, they are afforded greater access and greater quality. Their success has shown that more options help students flourish.”

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gloryhold It! posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure racism Olympics is a good game to play.

Fast twitch muscles, what?

Aliquid posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/betsy-devos-hbcu-historically-black-colleges-235498

quote:

“HBCUs are real pioneers when it comes to school choice,” DeVos said in the statement, released Monday night in advance of Trump’s planned signing of an executive order giving the schools more clout. “They are living proof that when more options are provided to students, they are afforded greater access and greater quality. Their success has shown that more options help students flourish.”

Holy poo poo, what an ignorant loving thing to say.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 28, 2017

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Chilichimp posted:

Fast twitch muscles, what?

Oh man, now there's a bit of racism in my upbringing that I haven't heard in a while. I got the version where black people had an extra muscle. Even gullible kid me was incredulous

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think that for a lot of minorities, they hear and know that if you do not address systemic racism first or as a major part, that anything you do to improve "economic equality" automatically helps white people more than it helps them. This is, of course, a larger debate of intersectionality, but I think it's an important thing to remember.

What do folks here think about this post. I like to harp on about economic equality, and I think that that is very compatible with racial equality, and that we should never sacrifice racial equality for economic equality. I just think that one doesn't have to sacrifice racial equality in order to push for economic equality though. Is that unrealistic? I figured that it might be useful to ask this to this thread, and If it is inappropriate to do so, I apologize, and I appreciate your time.

I might ask this in the minority perspectives thread. Hope that is okay. I'll leave this post here in case someone is interested.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 1, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

thechosenone posted:

What do folks here think about this post. I like to harp on about economic equality, and I think that that is very compatible with racial equality, and that we should never sacrifice racial equality for economic equality. I just think that one doesn't have to sacrifice racial equality in order to push for economic equality though. Is that unrealistic? I figured that it might be useful to ask this to this thread, and If it is inappropriate to do so, I apologize, and I appreciate your time.

I might ask this in the minority perspectives thread. Hope that is okay. I'll leave this post here in case someone is interested.

You can't have economic equality without racial equality, and anyone that tries to sell you on the idea that fighting for economic justice above or instead of social justice probably has a special deal on ocean front property in Arizona they'd like to offer as well.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thechosenone posted:

I think Binow is right, but there's also nothing wrong with each of us focusing our activism on our strong suits. The important thing for people more focused on economic equality is to avoid telling minorities to "wait your turn" or to assure them that money will magically make all the racism go away. You can also help maintain visibility of minority-specific economic issues simply by bringing them up, to keep discussions from drifting off to focus only on the poor white coal miner or the anxious white middle class. Any numbers we use to talk about economic inequality are worse when you remember to look at minorities too. White women make 70 cents on the dollar compared to white men, but for black women it's 64 and for latina women it's an appalling 54. Black middle-class household net worth is lower than working class white households. Unemployment rates for black and latino men dwarf white male unemployment rates, which are already pretty drat bad. I think that's the key. When you've got an ally talking about poverty, and you can see they're only thinking about white poverty, agree with them that it's bad and then talk about how it's actually even worse than that when we think about all the other people in this country.

If you do in-person activism, which I hope you do, use inclusive practices like amplification to help POCs have a seat at the table. You're on the right track. It's not like we don't want economic equality. Keep working on what you're best at and we will too and let's just remember to team up when we can.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

http://www.vahistorical.org/collections-and-resources/virginia-history-explorer/civil-rights-movement-virginia/closing-prince

It's all about choice... to use public funding to establish all-white private schools after desegregation of public schools. :911:

Also, a photo from the leaders' meeting with Trump. Really demonstrating your respect there, Conway.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 1, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

thechosenone posted:

To go even further, some lefty people actively push people toward ignoring "identity politics" and just focus on economic poo poo, when that has historically not worked, because they are the same

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

I think Binow is right, but there's also nothing wrong with each of us focusing our activism on our strong suits. The important thing for people more focused on economic equality is to avoid telling minorities to "wait your turn" or to assure them that money will magically make all the racism go away. You can also help maintain visibility of minority-specific economic issues simply by bringing them up, to keep discussions from drifting off to focus only on the poor white coal miner or the anxious white middle class. Any numbers we use to talk about economic inequality are worse when you remember to look at minorities too. White women make 70 cents on the dollar compared to white men, but for black women it's 64 and for latina women it's an appalling 54. Black middle-class household net worth is lower than working class white households. Unemployment rates for black and latino men dwarf white male unemployment rates, which are already pretty drat bad. I think that's the key. When you've got an ally talking about poverty, and you can see they're only thinking about white poverty, agree with them that it's bad and then talk about how it's actually even worse than that when we think about all the other people in this country.

If you do in-person activism, which I hope you do, use inclusive practices like amplification to help POCs have a seat at the table. You're on the right track. It's not like we don't want economic equality. Keep working on what you're best at and we will too and let's just remember to team up when we can.

Okay, I'm glad to hear that wanting income equality isn't entirely worthless. As it is, I'm just going to lay off the debate and discussion forums right now, since I seem to have worked myself into tears thinking about how useless I am. I apologize for wasting your time, but I appreciate that you were so kind as to waste it on me. I hope one day I can be something other than utterly worthless, and maybe even be halfway helpful to people sometimes. I now this sounds facetious, but I really am a a piece of poo poo, and I hope one day I can be someone people can say was worth being born.

Edit: sorry for the melodrama folks. I was just really upset over how stupid and useless I am. But do you think that as racial inequality is addressed, that it will make it easier to address income inequality? I just wanted to hear it again as a confirmation, because at this point, I don't really feel confident about anything at all. I know that is just me, me, me again, but if your okay with indulging this bit of selfishness, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for being so patient with me.
PFfftt I'm stupid

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 1, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thechosenone posted:

Okay, I'm glad to hear that wanting income equality isn't entirely worthless. As it is, I'm just going to lay off the debate and discussion forums right now, since I seem to have worked myself into tears thinking about how useless I am. I apologize for wasting your time, but I appreciate that you were so kind as to waste it on me. I hope one day I can be something other than utterly worthless, and maybe even be halfway helpful to people sometimes. I now this sounds facetious, but I really am a a piece of poo poo, and I hope one day I can be someone people can say was worth being born.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

I know, I apologize, I was just freaking out. I'll stop posting. Thank you once again for being willing to tolerate me. I don't really have anything to contribute to things anyway, since all I can really do at the moment is agree while trying not to repeatedly shove my foot in my mouth, which doesn't really add to the conversation. I guess I should specifically say that if I'm unwilling to contribute to improving things actively, that I should not discuss politics, especially race or economic politics.

So if the mods could just put me on that list of people who are not allowed to post in this subforum, that would probably be best for everyone here. The sooner I stop distracting folks from meaningful discussion, the sooner I do something else other than waste people's time.

I hope this doesn't come off as passive aggressive or anything, I just figure it makes sense that if I'm just going to wring my hands and do nothing, that everyone else who actually wants to try to actively make the world a better place will have a better time if I am not posting.
Pfft, I'm stupid. Good joke though.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 1, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

thechosenone posted:

Edit: sorry for the melodrama folks. I was just really upset over how stupid and useless I am. But do you think that as racial inequality is addressed, that it will make it easier to address income inequality? I just wanted to hear it again as a confirmation, because at this point, I don't really feel confident about anything at all. I know that is just me, me, me again, but if your okay with indulging this bit of selfishness, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for being so patient with me.

You're reminding me of me in the middle of my breakdown. Worry about you. You've got a lot of time to pay things off but if and only if you're wallowing in it you are actually justified. Get therapy and or meds so you can be helpful. Hell, my life's a shitshow and I don't get to do more than slacktivism a lot of the time, but I'm no good to anyone having another freak out and at least I can try and advocate people to be a bit less poo poo. And hell I guess I create some value at my day job, but that's mostly maintenance for me and maybe some other incidental good comes of it.

If you want someone to try and talk you through things feel free to message me or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

xthetenth posted:

You're reminding me of me in the middle of my breakdown. Worry about you. You've got a lot of time to pay things off but if and only if you're wallowing in it you are actually justified. Get therapy and or meds so you can be helpful. Hell, my life's a shitshow and I don't get to do more than slacktivism a lot of the time, but I'm no good to anyone having another freak out and at least I can try and advocate people to be a bit less poo poo. And hell I guess I create some value at my day job, but that's mostly maintenance for me and maybe some other incidental good comes of it.

If you want someone to try and talk you through things feel free to message me or something.

Listen, that is cool of you to say, but I'm honestly thinking that If I want to be of use, that I should stop letting myself post on this forum. Which I'm gonna do until I can't.

I figure I'm gonna look out for number one, and what I'm starting to think is that this internet forum doesn't really do me any good to post on. It isn't you guys, its me, it has always been me.

• Locked thread