Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

BigFactory posted:

It's not a carpet, those are laid out on a really huge sport coat.

nice of you to lend him your coat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Dare To Be Stupid is the best thing Weird Al has ever done and it does not get nearly enough recognition.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

If I ever found Weird Al records at a thrift store I'd be too busy jerking off to post about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

nice of you to lend him your coat

It's not my coat!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Dare To Be Stupid is the best thing Weird Al has ever done and it does not get nearly enough recognition.

The best Devo song Devo never wrote

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Dare to be Stupid video is so goddamn insane, the level of detail and attention paid to Devo videos is wonderfully intricate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

minivanmegafun posted:

The best Devo song Devo never wrote

Devo themselves were quoted as agreeing with this!

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
ran down to the record store when i found out there'd been a repress of Am I Really Here All Alone

The Sadies- Northern Passages
Phillip Lewin - Am I Really Here All Alone
Conrad Schnitzler - Gold
G.H.- Housebound Demigod

The Gallows
Aug 10, 2007

Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh.

rockinricky posted:

No Idea Records has another grab bag offer. This one is five albums for $35. They're getting my money again.

https://store.noidearecords.com/products/side-one-dummy-friends-lp-grab-bag-five-lps-for-35-00

I wish someone would do this with heavy metal.

I'll roll the dice on this.

Anyone do the last one? If so, what did you get?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Chill Callahan posted:

Never find anything good usually at thrift stores but I took a chance on a bunch of private press reggae

Also two weird al records to flip to pay for the rest

So you're selling the best records out of the lot?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
dat Crazy Drive It rear end tho

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

caligulamprey posted:

The Dare to be Stupid video is so goddamn insane, the level of detail and attention paid to Devo videos is wonderfully intricate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

I'm such a goddamn DEVO nerd that I can name every reference in this. It's so lovingly done.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Chill Callahan posted:

Never find anything good usually at thrift stores but I took a chance on a bunch of private press reggae

Kelly / Marshall / Palmer is good poo poo.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

CPL593H posted:

So you're selling the best records out of the lot?

i know it's a shame but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the train rolling

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

Wow, it's not even disgustingly overpriced like I assumed it would be. I need this.

Plus the deluxe edition includes a bunch of cool extras for the price someone like fuckin Mondo would charge you just for a bare bones 3 LP set.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Elrobot posted:

ran down to the record store when i found out there'd been a repress of Am I Really Here All Alone

Yeah that album is really good

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

Kelly / Marshall / Palmer is good poo poo.

Yeah the ones I've liked are the Larry Marshall, Triston Palmer, and Jimmy Riley LPs

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Saw Haggatha the other night, and was finally able to get the last two albums I needed to complete the collection:

Top row: Haggatha I 12" EP - 2009 Killbomb Records; Haggatha II 180 gram LP - 2010 Choking Hazard Records; Haggatha III EP - 2011 Choking Hazard
Bottom row: Haggatha IV LP - 2012 Choking Hazard; Haggatha/Moloch split - 2014 Choking Hazard; Haggatha V LP - 2017 Mass Deadening Records

I guess I don't have the Clone Comp with their Wipers cover, but I can't see myself seeking that one out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some albums I've accumulated in the past while:

Among others.

I am particularly looking forward to Gospel Concert by Clara Ward and the Ward Singers arriving when it does. :)

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am particularly looking forward to Gospel Concert by Clara Ward and the Ward Singers arriving when it does. :)

I used to have a lot more gospel 45s rips up, but these might interest you. I've also got a Mary DeLoach version of Move This Thing that's a different take than the one she released on Artic. Much more stripped down Thorpe style, I'm pretty sure I've ripped it before. I'll see if I can find it.

http://handalligator.com/mp3/Voice of the Clouds - Jacob%27s Ladder.mp3
http://handalligator.com/mp3/The Gospel Twilights - Sinner Where Youll Run.mp3

Plus two old mixes:

https://soundcloud.com/jehovahswetness/get-right-v1
https://soundcloud.com/jehovahswetness/get-right-v2

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will check those out, thank you.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

click this poo poo you loving dunces

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you guys aren't already listening to Sinners Crossroads on WFMU you should get in it quick. It's a long running radio show of great old gospel, and I think he usually plays from the original vinyl.

https://wfmu.org/playlists/CR

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
Edit: Deleted link cuz I have no clue how imgur works. Oh well.

To make this so it isn't just a post taking up space. Do any of you have records with any fun deadwax messages?

Misandry Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 28, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dogen posted:

Plus the deluxe edition includes a bunch of cool extras for the price someone like fuckin Mondo would charge you just for a bare bones 3 LP set.

Exactly. These days you can't even get a single LP album from a bigger name label for less than 25 bucks. The fact that it's a 3LP for 28 bucks blows me away.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Exactly. These days you can't even get a single LP album from a bigger name label for less than 25 bucks. The fact that it's a 3LP for 28 bucks blows me away.

pressed on flexi-disc!

:haw:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JehovahsWetness posted:

I used to have a lot more gospel 45s rips up, but these might interest you. I've also got a Mary DeLoach version of Move This Thing that's a different take than the one she released on Artic. Much more stripped down Thorpe style, I'm pretty sure I've ripped it before. I'll see if I can find it.

http://handalligator.com/mp3/Voice of the Clouds - Jacob%27s Ladder.mp3
http://handalligator.com/mp3/The Gospel Twilights - Sinner Where Youll Run.mp3

Plus two old mixes:

https://soundcloud.com/jehovahswetness/get-right-v1
https://soundcloud.com/jehovahswetness/get-right-v2

Nice. Thank you.

Been entering in the collection in Discogs and I guess I'm about halfway done with the LPs at 650. So far this is the only one I'm having trouble locating.

French pressing of Animal House that I've had sitting around forever.

Been feeling fuzzy lately. I have tickets to King Gizzard next month. Pretty stoked and bonus points the wife digs them too.

Cheap bin stuff.

:nws:http://imgur.com/mAKHO91:nws:

NWS I guess for cartoon dong. Been looking for a song from the movie Whisky 2 and finally found it.

Possibly :nws: :nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ib9MNceIs:nms: :nws: (dude breaks his legs around the 8 min mark)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Stuff:

I also found a CD-Vinyl:

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm hoping one or a few folks here can help educate me since I'm beginning to wonder if this is a defect or user error...

I recently upgraded from my old RCA LAB-1200 to a U-Turn Orbit. I really love the U-Turn and the upgrade is a ridiculous boost in sound quality, but I've been having constant trouble with it and I'm not sure if I just have terrible luck or if maybe there's something I'm doing wrong. I'm actively talking to U-Turn customer service (they're awesome) but given that they don't have a bad rep I figure it's at least worth asking. I've been collecting records for a little over a decade but having only used a piece of crap beginners table I assume there's a few tricks and whatnot to a nicer table that I'm not aware of

Basically the table works phenomenally well and then after a few days of playtime the arm stops resting into the grooves and just skids back across the record. It looks like very aggressive anti-skate, so much so that between the needle dropping and touching the record it's already well on it's way back to the resting position. They replaced the initial table citing that there was likely an issue with the tonearm itself. New table came, worked beautifully, then started doing similar behavior the other day. U-Turn suggested moving the counterweight forward 2mm. I did that, everything was great again. Then last night I put on a $2.99 Zeppelin record that has seen better days and voila, problem is back. Lots of skipping on the old piece of crap records, then when I go back to something that spun fine an hour before I feel like I need to hold the needle in place to even get it to catch whereas it was perfect before. Letting the arm drop gently like I've done in the past doesn't work, it just swings right back and may or may not have touched the surface of the record.

So, while I go back and forth with U-Turn's CS department, is there anything I should expect on a higher end table that maybe just points the finger at me being the dumbass? Should I expect old beat up piece of poo poo records to play considerably worse than before? Is it possible for a very skippy record to throw off the balance of the tonearm? Should I expect a correctly balanced tonearm to be able to sit on the outer edge of the record and slide down into the grooves? (currently it does not) Does anybody else with a U-Turn have similar issues?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a relatively lovely 80s direct drive table and it plays everything from brand new vinyl to beat up thrift store garbage with essentially no adjustment. Sounds like UTurn is sourcing some cheap parts.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ferg posted:

So I'm hoping one or a few folks here can help educate me since I'm beginning to wonder if this is a defect or user error...

I recently upgraded from my old RCA LAB-1200 to a U-Turn Orbit. I really love the U-Turn and the upgrade is a ridiculous boost in sound quality, but I've been having constant trouble with it and I'm not sure if I just have terrible luck or if maybe there's something I'm doing wrong. I'm actively talking to U-Turn customer service (they're awesome) but given that they don't have a bad rep I figure it's at least worth asking. I've been collecting records for a little over a decade but having only used a piece of crap beginners table I assume there's a few tricks and whatnot to a nicer table that I'm not aware of

Basically the table works phenomenally well and then after a few days of playtime the arm stops resting into the grooves and just skids back across the record. It looks like very aggressive anti-skate, so much so that between the needle dropping and touching the record it's already well on it's way back to the resting position. They replaced the initial table citing that there was likely an issue with the tonearm itself. New table came, worked beautifully, then started doing similar behavior the other day. U-Turn suggested moving the counterweight forward 2mm. I did that, everything was great again. Then last night I put on a $2.99 Zeppelin record that has seen better days and voila, problem is back. Lots of skipping on the old piece of crap records, then when I go back to something that spun fine an hour before I feel like I need to hold the needle in place to even get it to catch whereas it was perfect before. Letting the arm drop gently like I've done in the past doesn't work, it just swings right back and may or may not have touched the surface of the record.

So, while I go back and forth with U-Turn's CS department, is there anything I should expect on a higher end table that maybe just points the finger at me being the dumbass? Should I expect old beat up piece of poo poo records to play considerably worse than before? Is it possible for a very skippy record to throw off the balance of the tonearm? Should I expect a correctly balanced tonearm to be able to sit on the outer edge of the record and slide down into the grooves? (currently it does not) Does anybody else with a U-Turn have similar issues?

You "gently" let the needle drop onto the record? Like you hold it over the spinning record and bombs away?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

You "gently" let the needle drop onto the record? Like you hold it over the spinning record and bombs away?

Lay it down until it makes contact and gently let go is a better way to describe it

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
You sure you're balancing your tonearm correctly? It kind of sounds like maybe you're balancing the tonearm but then not zeroing it out and adding the tracking weight of the cart (or not setting the correct tracking weight)?

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 6, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah it really sounds like the tracking force is off. Tape a penny to the head shell.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Balance the tone arm, move the weight marker to zero, then set the weight according to your cartridge's recommend tracking force.

While you're at it check that your cartridge is properly aligned.

Don't pay hundreds for a TT and tape a loving penny to it lol

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There was a flyer up for this in my local record store today. I kinda want to go to see what kind of "record show" would create a website using frames in TYOOL 2017.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn that's an impressive retro site.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JehovahsWetness posted:

You sure you're balancing your tonearm correctly? It kind of sounds like maybe you're balancing the tonearm but then not zeroing it out and adding the tracking weight of the cart (or not setting the correct tracking weight)?

BigFactory posted:

Yeah it really sounds like the tracking force is off. Tape a penny to the head shell.

Boinks posted:

Balance the tone arm, move the weight marker to zero, then set the weight according to your cartridge's recommend tracking force.

While you're at it check that your cartridge is properly aligned.

Don't pay hundreds for a TT and tape a loving penny to it lol

Thanks for the sanity check! Ordered a VTF gauge from Amazon tonight so that I can actually measure it. Based on what you're saying and research it definitely looks like it's tracking too light. Thicker records are playable, thinner are absolutely not. The counterweight is as far forward as possible. Relayed that info to U-Turn as well

my summer at fat camp posted:

I have a relatively lovely 80s direct drive table and it plays everything from brand new vinyl to beat up thrift store garbage with essentially no adjustment. Sounds like UTurn is sourcing some cheap parts.

I'm hoping this isn't the scenario. I love the look of it, sound quality is great. The one tick in the back of my mind is that they revamped their tonearm in October so manufacturer defects are certainly a reasonable possibility. I wanted to rule out me being the idiot first though

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ferg posted:

Thanks for the sanity check! Ordered a VTF gauge from Amazon tonight so that I can actually measure it. Based on what you're saying and research it definitely looks like it's tracking too light. Thicker records are playable, thinner are absolutely not. The counterweight is as far forward as possible. Relayed that info to U-Turn as well

I'm hoping this isn't the scenario. I love the look of it, sound quality is great. The one tick in the back of my mind is that they revamped their tonearm in October so manufacturer defects are certainly a reasonable possibility. I wanted to rule out me being the idiot first though

Does the counterweight on that thing have numbers? Can't tell from an image search. A scale is a good idea if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ferg posted:

Break out the penny.