Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is gonna be quite the showdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Nah, this is a shitshow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
we tapped that rear end is gonna win the whole thing and (seeing how you fuckin idiots voted for research me over you go first) RIGHTFULLY SO

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WhiteHowler posted:

You apparently keep voting for Devil Winds, so no sympathy from me.

I voted Devil Winds because Remember That We Suffered is terrible. :colbert:
Friendtopia absolutely should have won the whole thing though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Friendtopia!

Was the whole 'girl power/spice girls etc' thing big in the US as well? I was only 10 or 11 and in the UK at the time so I don't know if the hugeness was echoed elsewhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Red Oktober posted:

Friendtopia!

Was the whole 'girl power/spice girls etc' thing big in the US as well? I was only 10 or 11 and in the UK at the time so I don't know if the hugeness was echoed elsewhere.

Yeah, they were big for a couple of years or so.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Red Oktober posted:

Friendtopia!

I think "If You Wannabe My Lover" was the only song I heard blaring from the girls' end of the hall in my freshmen coed dorm in '96. It drove me nuts and I always hated it right up until a month or so ago when Niel Cicierega released his third mash-up album. If you're bored and like mashups take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JymrZEr4Dk

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Everyone going nuts over Santa Ana Winds is gonna flip when they hear about Jersey Boys

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get how anyone thinks "winds that make people go crazy so Rebecca can almost gently caress this lame shoehorned-in attempt at a love interest" was a good storyline idea. Even with them being a real thing it's just awful. Luckily Nathaniel became a good character immediately following that episode.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
We're not voting on storylines.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I still don't get how anyone thinks "winds that make people go crazy so Rebecca can almost gently caress this lame shoehorned-in attempt at a love interest" was a good storyline idea. Even with them being a real thing it's just awful. Luckily Nathaniel became a good character immediately following that episode.

The winds did not literally cause that. As with most fantastical things in the show the mind controlling aspect of the wind was in Rebecca's imagination.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Sorry. I can't see any other reason anyone would be lusting after Hottie McHotbody.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's simple. Bartender Hans has left, which means that Lawyer Kristoff had a chance to swoop in.

Clearly.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Powered through the second season over the last week or so, overall I liked it about as much as the first season. Some thoughts:

- Josh seemed to have a lot more songs this season?
- Good on Greg for getting the hell away from these people
- Don't you dare ruin White Josh/Darryl! Their relatively healthy/normal relationship is such a great foil for how messed up everyone else is
- They are really inconsistent with how much money Rebecca has, I wouldn't normally think about it, but they've thrown out so many specific $ amounts that it kind of bugs me
- Next season is going to be interesting. On one had I love that Rebecca is actually the crazy ex now, but on the other the show is at its best (to me) when the tone is fairly lighthearted and it's starting to get into the area where you don't actually like the main characters and that's really difficult to pull off.
- I would love to see them adapt this show into an actual broadway show, I think it'd be really fun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rachel was always the crazy ex but now she's "crazy ex classic"

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Ouhei posted:

it's starting to get into the area where you don't actually like the main characters

What on Earth is wrong with you, that you ever liked any of the main characters? Everyone in this show is utterly, utterly awful. It's part of the charm!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Disgusting Coward posted:

What on Earth is wrong with you, that you ever liked any of the main characters? Everyone in this show is utterly, utterly awful. It's part of the charm!

This is hardly Always Sunny in Philadelphia. All the characters have their flaws but they all also come with their share of sympathetic problems and traits.

Rebecca's the big one who has used up a lot of sympathy while getting progressively worse as a person. Josh as well. The big problem is that the characters who have grown in a positive way are either supporting side characters (Paula), characters who kind of disappear for episodes at a time (Valencia), or characters who literally leave (Greg).

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

We Tapped That rear end: 24 votes
Greg's Drinking Song: 10 votes

Devil Winds: 18 votes
Remember That We Suffered: 16 votes

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilztSh5Cr2E

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

VERSUS

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qvpHZzZGI&t=30s

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:siren: FIGHT! :siren:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Also there's a bronze match for Greg's Drinking Song and Remember That We Suffered, but who cares about that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess they heard about our competition finishing up because the soundtrack just came out!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Man the final is a real sausage fest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I guess they heard about our competition finishing up because the soundtrack just came out!

Whoa, nice timing show! I just searched again this morning and then came here to post it haha

edit: hahahah finally heard the full version of period sex on the album. gr8. this shoulda been in the competition

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 5, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm listening to it now and goddamn some amazing songs got knocked out super early, Ping Pong Girl is incredible. Also you should all be ASHAMED for putting the worst Greg song in the final when god tier Shitshow was knocked out early.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You guys have terrible tastes!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
We're goons, of course we have terrible tastes.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
wow you can really see how much worse season 2 was than season 1 from the 2 songs in the finals

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Uti got to the first season semis

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Because it's hilarious.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

wow you can really see how much worse season 2 was than season 1 from the 2 songs in the finals

I disagree, I think it's more there isn't a clear favorite. People's tastes are spread out more. There's no "You Stupid Bitch" this year.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This year's "You Stupid Bitch" was "Tell Me I'm Okay" which you jerks voted out in favor of Devil Winds :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

lotus circle posted:

This year's "You Stupid Bitch" was "Tell Me I'm Okay" which you jerks voted out in favor of Devil Winds :colbert:

I ultimately wasn't that huge on it, whereas the Devil Winds actually calls back to Stupid Bitch, so I enjoyed that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

EmmyOk posted:

Why do you hate Fun and Greg and Fun Greg? :colbert:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 6, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Also you should all be ASHAMED for putting the worst Greg song in the final when god tier Shitshow was knocked out early.

loving this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Shitshow a lot but Tapped That rear end is funnier than that one is funny/emotional, and things actually happen in the video for that one.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Disgusting Coward posted:

STAC Goat posted:

This is hardly Always Sunny in Philadelphia. All the characters have their flaws but they all also come with their share of sympathetic problems and traits.

Rebecca's the big one who has used up a lot of sympathy while getting progressively worse as a person. Josh as well. The big problem is that the characters who have grown in a positive way are either supporting side characters (Paula), characters who kind of disappear for episodes at a time (Valencia), or characters who literally leave (Greg).

Basically this, it's in part due to the way the show plays with what's going on that makes you not actively hate people for a while.

Part of the reason (again, to me) the show works is that you can acknowledge that most of them are terrible people, but they have sympathetic goals (for a while at least it seemed like Rebecca was just trying to find love, she's just really damaged) and do redeeming things (Rebecca saves people's jobs, etc etc). Now that Rebecca has leaned into her crazy it's going to be harder to keep the lighter tone that the show has because she's actively trying to destroy someone's life. Not saying they can't do it, I just think it's harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. I don't think they're "terrible people" because none of them really have any malice or intent to hurt people. That's what made Valencia the "villain" in S1 because she was actively hostile to Rebecca and inconsiderate to Josh. In comparison Josh was inconsiderate to her but his behavior played more as cowardice and ignorance than genuine malice. That means you have room to sympathize with him. Then eventually we get more perspective on Valencia and gain sympathy for her and the way Josh has strung her along for so long, which flipped things a bit.

That's the main difference between this and shows like Always Sunny or Seinfeld. Those shows have people who actively hurt others and are either indifferent to it or take joy in it. THOSE are bad people. The people in Crazy Ex Girlfriend aren't bad, they're just broken. And at the very least they generally feel guilt when they hurt someone.

Rebecca pushes that when she's actively hurting or manipulating people, though. There's always been a give and take with that but this season was focused heavily on her manipulating Josh from her gaslighting him at the start to her cheating on him towards the end. And they end it with her intent on ruining him, which is slightly troubling.

But I'm willing to reserve judgment about the direction of S3 until it actually plays out. The show's earned that as they've generally done a good job balancing this stuff.

• Locked thread