Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Peel posted:

Looking at their publication timeline, the difference between the Bayo/Vanquish - MGR gap and the the MGR/Bayo2 - Nier gap is that the latter has the dodgy B-team games rather than almost nothing. So I can see where the idea comes from and I guess it looks different if you were really into W101 and Anarchy Reigns. Some people love Transformers but nobody is that into Korra and TMNT was unfortunate.

Scalebound was presumably intended to be another 'big' Platinum release along with Nier, but welp.

For some perspective on how it's like to work with Activision on a licensed game, let's ask someone who worked on Deadpool with them:

High Moon Studios employee posted:

Yup exactly. We had a couple of weeks were we crunched pretty aggressively on Deadpool. Having activision cut aand cut and CUT just took its tole on so many of us. For a studio to demand that we do mandatory overtime for a project and then keep cutting so much time and money from it was ridiculous. At about halfway into development we were told that we weren't even aiming very high in terms of score.

Can you imagine working on a game where your higher ups say "yeah we're shooting for a 64 or lower" and then have them give you mandatory overtime?

Last year, Acti-Blizzard shut down the office that handled their licences games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

W101 "published by Nintendo exclusively for the Wii U"

:witch:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This sort of thing is why you should ascribe games to the people who made them rather than the label or publishing house they work for.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vanquish is my favorite Platinum game by a long shot but bayoneta is great too.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can i just ask that everyone itt that hasn't already, plays God Hand. Cheers in advance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how goons always throw around the term B team when a dev they like makes a questionable game. It's some seriously my uncle works at Nintendo poo poo imao.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gently caress, seems like I need a new controller already. I've only had a PS4 since Christmas `15. Probably all that Rocket League playing last year, drat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

I like how goons always throw around the term B team when a dev they like makes a questionable game. It's some seriously my uncle works at Nintendo poo poo imao.

It's a very simplified answer for a very complex issue. I agree. Also, apparently the Horizon game is pretty good.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 28, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I didn't bother to check the Platinum claims, but games do actually tell you who worked on them in what position. Some of those people even discuss their approach and work in public.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Plug in one controller , turn it on and pick an account. Unplug it, do the same wth the second controller.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

The Dark Souls II salt is my favorite example of this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mycot posted:

The Dark Souls II salt is my favorite example of this.

I love them all the same but DS2 is blatantly a different team/director. Like it's not a bad thing that it's different but that's a definite example of a game made by a "B-Team" where you can tell it wasn't made by the same guys who made DS1 (I think BB feels more like DS1 than DS2 does.)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The funniest thing about DS2's "B Team" is how every flaw in that was blamed on them specifically (grab attacks, shoddy hitboxes, etc)...but then Bloodborne and DS3 came out with the exact same issues. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dork Souls

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The funniest thing about DS2's "B Team" is how every flaw in that was blamed on them specifically (grab attacks, shoddy hitboxes, etc)...but then Bloodborne and DS3 came out with the exact same issues. :v:

They're REALLY bad in DS2, I'm playing through it again at the moment and they're totally poo poo compared to 1 and 3. Can't remember BBs. Also enemies spinning around while they attack. Like the hitboxes in 2 definitely seem the worst.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a lot of shonky stuff in BB too. Hitboxes and spinning enemies are pretty rife, especially with bosses.

DS2 had its flaws, but they stand out a lot because the other games' weaknesses get played down a lot. It's kind of irritating.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Goons sure love to talk about their dark stools, I for one think that's pretty gross!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the iron Tarkus supplements.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Should I buy Yakuza 0 business man's edition? 🤔

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

That was mainly a preorder bonus. I will admit the business card carrier and the Majima and Kiryu business cards are rather neat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It's a really dumb way of looking at the issue. It may be different people working on it in many areas but the output of it isn't really better or worse than Dark Souls 1, but rather different. I know plenty of people that prefer Dark Souls 2 over Dark Souls 1.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Sunning posted:

For some perspective on how it's like to work with Activision on a licensed game, let's ask someone who worked on Deadpool with them:

Last year, Acti-Blizzard shut down the office that handled their licences games.

Lol. Wtf

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

blackguy32 posted:

I know plenty of people that prefer Dark Souls 2 over Dark Souls 1.

They're right.

Also yeah DS3 and BB totally had enemies that spun around during big attacks like their rear end was a lazy susan and I never liked that.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Jimbot posted:

That was mainly a preorder bonus. I will admit the business card carrier and the Majima and Kiryu business cards are rather neat.

Ahh Yeah it's the same price at the best buy near me and I have some gift cards to burn :) thanks!

As an aside I found a new in box sealed copy of Yakuza 2 for ps2 in my basement that I forgot I had lol

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 28, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I will admit, Dark Souls 2 reminds me of King's Field for some reason and I can't put my finger on it. But everything about Majula screams King's Field to me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why do all the slim bundles only come with shootmans

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Nier is gonna be pervy right? It looks like it's probably pretty pervy?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not beyond the character designs

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
None of Taro's games have been all that pervy and when they approach that they justify it or make it so hosed up you shouldn't really be getting off on it. Even Drakengard 3, which had a lot of sex obsessed characters, didn't really play to titillate as much as to make you go :wtc:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Norns posted:

Why do all the slim bundles only come with shootmans

They're popular

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Nier is gonna be pervy right? It looks like it's probably pretty pervy?

I hope so

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, has anyone else had issues with the PSN store flat out not loading? I'm constantly on "please wait..." and this is after numerous restarts, tinkering with my router, rebuilding the database from safe mode and about three hundred methods of loving around with this pain in the arse bollocks.

I can use my PC for shopping and so on, but I shouldn't be having to do that. It's annoying.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Isn't there a trophy to look under the main characters skirt with the camera?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's one for getting 2B to wave the camera away when you try it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
ah yes the game with the scantily clad sexbot in the centre of the screen for the entire game is definitely not pervy at all

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

AngelesXO posted:

You don't actually have to do this to get the trophy, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AngelesXO posted:

Yes, or you can just go the faster route and blow her skirt off so she walks around without it.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

glam rock hamhock posted:

None of Taro's games have been all that pervy and when they approach that they justify it or make it so hosed up you shouldn't really be getting off on it. Even Drakengard 3, which had a lot of sex obsessed characters, didn't really play to titillate as much as to make you go :wtc:

You'd think characters talking about loving would be more satisfying!
Drakengard 3 is so good by the way, there's still time to beat it before N:A. There's one whole character that seems to transfer over, but what really transfers over is how gross Decadus is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They're REALLY bad in DS2, I'm playing through it again at the moment and they're totally poo poo compared to 1 and 3. Can't remember BBs. Also enemies spinning around while they attack. Like the hitboxes in 2 definitely seem the worst.

The hitboxes and 360 swing stuff is all over the place in BB, the difference is BB has MUCH better animations so the 360 swing isn't just the model pivoting on its' axis. BB has some questionable timing on parrying too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

fridge corn posted:

ah yes the game with the scantily clad sexbot in the centre of the screen for the entire game is definitely not pervy at all

So a dress is scantily clad? Are thou from fresh from Plymouth Rock, ye pilgrym?