Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
IMO, skip the por15. Go straight to the sherwin williams macro-poxy. Paint will outlast the vise. :D
How are you planning on de-rusting? I've been very happy with Evapo-rust, but a vinegar or electrolysis process would work well too.
Oh and Mobil 222 XHP is amazing for the screw, but Fluid film is a good starting point to loosen things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A media blast would work very well for rust/paint. It's a pretty small part so the cost would be minimal.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That's my preferred method, if you can get the thing in the cabinet. I've got a 6" *insert 1900's brand here* that's the same size and theres no way I could load it in my top-loading cabinet. A 20 gallon tote suddenly looks a lot more appealing, plus you can do these at home.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Before you go tearing into it, I'd post pics on garage journal. There's a couple of threads ALL about old vises. Macropoxy is good paint, but takes forever to fully cure.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bar keeper's friend (oxalic acid) (wood bleach) is super good for getting rust off of chrome. Just give it a bath for a few hours, the rust just slides off

(I know the vise is not chrome but :themoreyouknow: )

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 1, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This has probably been shared here already, but my FIL showed me this today and I hadn't seen it before:

link

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What exactly is taking the bending load by it being off center like that?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Seminal Flu posted:

I just picked up an e-loving-normoust Reed 106 fixed bench vise. The thing is listed at over 130 pounds, and this is every bit of that. It was a bastard to maneuver through the garage to get on the bench.

Needs some sand/paint, but overall, it's a massive, nasty, old monster of a vise. :D

Now I'll give my 4" bench vise to a buddy and everyone's happy.

You spelled 'vise' correctly, that's enough for my approval. I broke the handle off of the lead-screw on a 1980's vintage Craftsman 6" bench vise a few months ago and am super disappointed in the quality. I can't find any real vises local to me.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I spotted a huge old 4" Morgan vise on a long-forgotten bench in an old cobwebbed basement, down a long flight of narrow stairs at work a couple of years ago. I remembered the handle position, and after a year or so of it not moving the need arose and the vice was relocated.

Motherfucker was strongly bolted down and weighed at least ~75lbs. It must have really sucked for the guy who had to haul the filthy thing up those stairs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

um excuse me posted:

What exactly is taking the bending load by it being off center like that?

The horizontal leg vs the sliding square tube. Assuming it's steel it looks pretty beefy in that area, remember it's only during lifting and doesn't support any weight after being locked in position.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think those are kind of neat. I liked the idea behind Jackpoint as well but this is at least adjustable while I think the jackpoints are fixed.
http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CloFan posted:

Bar keeper's friend (oxalic acid) (wood bleach) is super good for getting rust off of chrome. Just give it a bath for a few hours, the rust just slides off

(I know the vise is not chrome but :themoreyouknow: )

So does scrubbing with an aluminum foil sheet! :science:

IMHO, leave the original paint and just clean off the rust with some penetrating oil and steel wool. Then grease up the screw mechanism and sliding surfaces, and periodically apply some light oil like wd-40 or CLP to protect it against rust going forward.

E: nevermind, on second look that thing is pretty far gone on rust and pitting. Have you considered an electrolysis bath to remove the rust? An angle grinder and wire wheel would be pretty aggressive, but also work as well.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 2, 2017

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

angryrobots posted:

This has probably been shared here already, but my FIL showed me this today and I hadn't seen it before:

link

This is cool. I could really use just one. On my crooked driveway, supporting a modern car on all 4 jackpoints requires shimming to keep it from tripodding.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Only problem with that jack is it's a minimum of 11" high. You're not going to lift any cars with that unless you have another jack to get it started and slide under. For trucks that max height is 21" which is kinda small, it couldn't reach the frame rails on my Jeep for example and would be too tall to get under the diffs too. Neat idea if you have something it can work with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

Before you go tearing into it, I'd post pics on garage journal. There's a couple of threads ALL about old vises. Macropoxy is good paint, but takes forever to fully cure.

Thanks, made a post there.

Made a quick video to show the "before" shape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIelbuzAnI0

OSU_Matthew posted:

So does scrubbing with an aluminum foil sheet! :science:

IMHO, leave the original paint and just clean off the rust with some penetrating oil and steel wool. Then grease up the screw mechanism and sliding surfaces, and periodically apply some light oil like wd-40 or CLP to protect it against rust going forward.

E: nevermind, on second look that thing is pretty far gone on rust and pitting. Have you considered an https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/%3Famp_page%3Dtrueelectrolysis bath to remove the rust?[/url] An angle grinder and wire wheel would be pretty aggressive, but also work as well.

The rust isn't bad except a bit on the mounting ears. I'm kinda leaning towards a nice, glossy black. We'll see where the project goes...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 1, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Only problem with that jack is it's a minimum of 11" high. You're not going to lift any cars with that unless you have another jack to get it started and slide under. For trucks that max height is 21" which is kinda small, it couldn't reach the frame rails on my Jeep for example and would be too tall to get under the diffs too. Neat idea if you have something it can work with.

Yes absolutely.

My FIL bought it to change tires on the large camper he's buying. I think for that it should work pretty well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What's everyone's opinions on tool kits specifically to be kept in a vehicle? I have a cheap and nasty HF set in my Jeep but wouldn't mind a better one, and I should probably put one in my C10 too.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's everyone's opinions on tool kits specifically to be kept in a vehicle? I have a cheap and nasty HF set in my Jeep but wouldn't mind a better one, and I should probably put one in my C10 too.

I've recommended it here before, but I got the Costco/Kirkland mechanics tool set for my dedicated jeep kit and it's really nice. On sale right now too. The ratchets have nice action and it's a good mix of 6&12pt sockets. The blowmold case is quite robust too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have the $50 53-piece Craftsman set (an older one that is still USA), and it's been great for a trunk kit. Looks like that Costco set is a better value in terms of bits per dollar, although last time I looked at one at Costco I wasn't impressed by the fit and finish of everything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's taiwaneese crap with no warranty beyond costcos satisfaction or your money back.

buy poo poo from a store with a warranty that will replace broken stuff on a piece by piece basis. leave costco for computers and hot dogs.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have this Gearwrench set + a breaker bar and four way + some misc pieces in my truck: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ame=Gear+Wrench

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've recommended it here before, but I got the Costco/Kirkland mechanics tool set for my dedicated jeep kit and it's really nice. On sale right now too. The ratchets have nice action and it's a good mix of 6&12pt sockets. The blowmold case is quite robust too.

One of these kits was my original tool set, so yeah, very familiar with them. Only annoying thing is how big the case is. No problem in the WJ but no room for that in the C10.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So I picked up the fuckoff 18V Fuel Milwaukee Impact, and I don't own any impact sockets. I thought I read once that harbor freight's impact sockets are actually decent? Is that correct?

I feel like we need a list of poo poo to get at harbor freight that isn't poo poo, or at least isn't poo poo with a little bit of work. All that I know of for sure is tool chests and hydraulic jacks, and to stay away from electrical and their abrasive consumables.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Their impact sockets are pretty solid, I bought my set back in 2010 or 11 and aside from the size stamps becoming increasingly difficult to read they haven't given me any trouble.

They don't come in an injection molded case anymore though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Goons seem to recommend Grey Pneumatic as being a decent option that slots between HF and the big-dollar stuff.

I have a set of the older (blow molded case for the deeps, tin case for the shallows) HF sets, and they seem fine in that they haven't blown up on me and they seem to fit alright, but they have a really thick wall so they're not the most convenient sometimes.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

boxen posted:

So I picked up the fuckoff 18V Fuel Milwaukee Impact, and I don't own any impact sockets. I thought I read once that harbor freight's impact sockets are actually decent? Is that correct?

I feel like we need a list of poo poo to get at harbor freight that isn't poo poo, or at least isn't poo poo with a little bit of work. All that I know of for sure is tool chests and hydraulic jacks, and to stay away from electrical and their abrasive consumables.

They are, but only the Pittsburgh Pro versions. The regular Pittsburgh are garbage.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I would like to hear about decent quality impact sockets as well, but available on the European side of the pond.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

bolind posted:

I would like to hear about decent quality impact sockets as well, but available on the European side of the pond.

Sunex. They are amazing a good price and probably available across the pond. They are on Amazon and similar in price to grey pneumatic and a little better quality. I know plenty of tractor mechanics who swear by sunex. Also a lot of trans rebuild shops local to me give there employees sunex tools and sockets for work. There good stuff and affordable.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just put my whole toolbag in the trunk :v:

This is very much an extreme case of "$1500 in tools makes a $500 car much more reliable", though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

clam ache posted:

Sunex. They are amazing a good price and probably available across the pond. They are on Amazon and similar in price to grey pneumatic and a little better quality. I know plenty of tractor mechanics who swear by sunex. Also a lot of trans rebuild shops local to me give there employees sunex tools and sockets for work. There good stuff and affordable.

I did some life testing and what not on a few Sunex grinders about 3-4 years ago as I recall and they didn't seem too bad to me. I never personally tore them down or anything though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Apparently the sunex impacts we have for sale at work are rebranded ingersoll rands, so I'd wager they're decent for home shop abuse. vOv

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
I've been really happy with the Tekton impact sockets I have fwiw. I also have a sunex impact universal joint adapter and it's been great as well

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geoj posted:

They don't come in an injection molded case anymore though.

I bought the HF impact socket sets when they came in metal boxes, I didn't know they changed to plastic, much less bare!

And yeah, I've used them a good bit and never had an issue. Protip: a strip of duct tape wrapped around the outside of the socket keeps the socket from scratching/damaging surrounding surfaces (most often wheels).

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I've been really happy with the Tekton impact sockets I have fwiw. I also have a sunex impact universal joint adapter and it's been great as well

Same, and they are making a few items here in the US as well, but I don't think the sockets are yet.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Does anyone have any experience with induction bolt heaters? I've been looking at this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...23-e75a753c34fe
but even the Chinese copys like this one are pretty expensive. Do they stand up to repeated use and does the insulation last?

I'm sick of my gas torch not really getting through the rust and oxy isn't an option for home use for me. Not having open flames and little heat spread is a bonus too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had no idea that existed.

Probably not a big deal for a bolt, but keep in mind induction heaters have a side effect of often magnetizing the target if they don't have a demag cycle. Was a big problem with the earliest induction heaters for bearings because, as you can imagine, a magnetic bearing is sort of counter productive for lifespan when it's attracting all the poo poo to it.
e: Also keep in mind the voltage for your home

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Thanks. I didn't consider that.
I dont think i will be reusing hardware that's been heated to red hot much. If its rusty enough to warrant bringing it out its usually far enough gone anyway. Wouldn't heating something to red hot also remove its ability to be magnetized unless you subject it to a magnetic field while its cooling? I'm in Europe so that aliexpress unit is the right plug and voltage for me, and is part of the reason I'm looking at Chinese versions. The 230v export version of the original American tool is ludicrously priced. The amperage shouldn't be a problem either.

Some videos for people who hasn't seen one before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimEZKrVNO0
and the professional version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJElT9xK3bk

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

That whatever you buy should be considered expendable, considering rust and degradation from not being in a conditioned environment, and it being an easy target for arbitrary theft.

I also think it's 100% worthwhile to have a cheap floor jack in the trunk and to just ignore factory included scissor jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Humbug posted:

Thanks. I didn't consider that.
I dont think i will be reusing hardware that's been heated to red hot much. If its rusty enough to warrant bringing it out its usually far enough gone anyway. Wouldn't heating something to red hot also remove its ability to be magnetized unless you subject it to a magnetic field while its cooling? I'm in Europe so that aliexpress unit is the right plug and voltage for me, and is part of the reason I'm looking at Chinese versions. The 230v export version of the original American tool is ludicrously priced. The amperage shouldn't be a problem either.

Some videos for people who hasn't seen one before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimEZKrVNO0
and the professional version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJElT9xK3bk

You don't need to heat a bearing red hot to get it on. Maximum swell happens at like 250F, I forget the actual number but it's far below red hot. In fact if you heat one hot enough to change the color to that bluish purple you have ruined the bearing.