Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roflan posted:

Am I the only one that has trouble believing that 5 people randomly decided to spend $15,000 on a game, randomly, within the past week? I mean nothing has happened in the past week that that I could imagine would push someone that has been considering spending that much, on a game-- a single game-- over the edge. Surely, anyone that would spend 15k on a game has thought processes beyond the comprehension of a normal mind but I still refuse to believe 5 rich people saw the Hurricane and said 'That's it! that's the final straw I've been waiting for before spending $15,000.00 U.S.D.'.

TL:DR: That graph is absolute proof they fool with their income...

Yeah, who knows, perhaps tax refund season.

And lol @ flight balance team. They are doing one bang up job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Elite's 2.3 beta has started, but no multi-crew yet. Stupidly huge patch notes warning...

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
A lot of CIG fund tracking truthers ITT and the core argument for the conspiracy is "SURELY, no one is still that stupid and has money to burn?" It's an argument from incredulity.

But looking at pastes like

I don't find it hard to believe at all.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

nawledgelambo posted:

2.7 Reconfirmed again:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125394718?t=10m05s

e: clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/InventiveFineSnakeFeelsBadMan (all ryan archer goes to Dark OFF for this)

InventiveFineSnakeFeelsBadMan indeed, twitch

haahha this owns

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Roflan posted:

Am I the only one that has trouble believing that 5 people randomly decided to spend $15,000 on a game, randomly, within the past week? I mean nothing has happened in the past week that that I could imagine would push someone that has been considering spending that much, on a game-- a single game-- over the edge. Surely, anyone that would spend 15k on a game has thought processes beyond the comprehension of a normal mind but I still refuse to believe 5 rich people saw the Hurricane and said 'That's it! that's the final straw I've been waiting for before spending $15,000.00 U.S.D.'.

TL:DR: That graph is absolute proof they fool with their income...

If they're faking the tracker, then they'd be stupid to do it in such an eye-catching manner. If they're not faking the tracker, then 5 whales (or one whale 5 times, or some other integer partition of 5) were stupid enough that the 2.6.1 patch was absolutely the deciding factor that they needed to drop $15K.

Basically there's a conservation law of stupidity here, but we don't know exactly where the stupidity is allocated.

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 28, 2017

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

Jack the Lad posted:

The simplest explanation for the funding tracker is that it counts purchases with fresh cash and with store credit the same.

If true, this would mean that if someone spends $1k then melts their ships and spends the store credit 5 times to buy the latest and greatest concept each time it comes out, their $1k in original cash will be counted as $6k on the tracker.

It seems more likely to me than the employee/grey market stuff.

If this is true, and it seems the most likely option to me as well, how much less than 145 million dollars has CIG actually received? From how people seem to discuss the ship sales on reddit or the rsi forums, a large portion of purchases are just moving money around.

And to test this, how long does it take to melt and rebuy a ship from the store? Could one just melt and buy and melt and buy an aurora 50 times and look for a spike in the hourly chart? I know you have to get some things authorized to melt but maybe itd be possible with a smaller sized ship.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

boviscopophobic posted:

If they're faking the tracker, then they'd be stupid to do it in such an eye-catching manner. If they're not faking the tracker, then 5 whales (or one whale 5 times, or some other integer partition of 5) were stupid enough that the 2.6.1 patch was absolutely the deciding factor that they needed to drop $15K.

Basically there's a conservation law of stupidity here, but we don't know exactly where the stupidity is allocated.

how bout a little from column a) and a little from column b) ?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

At least whales in other games have the excuse of it being 20 or 50 dollars here, 100 dollars there. But as a massive tight-wad, the idea of spending 15k on a game breaks my mind.

Even if I had a million dollars, I'd scoff at it. No way would I spend 1.5% of my million on a game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

boviscopophobic posted:

Five Completionist packs purchased in the past week, well done CIG! Game is good now, and there are 10 more Hartwell Music Sentinel 88G's in the 'Verse!

That's most likely more Completionist packs purchased in 7 days than were purchased in Feb-Dec 2016. (I don't have records for Jan 2016.)

That's cool, congratz CIG :thumbsup:

I can pair some of those to their respective Javs - I mean that must be the reason anyone buys a completionist right? To buy a Jav?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Someone on reddit was complaining there was supposed to be a 10ftc on 3.0 this week with even a now deleted subscribers questions thread. Is that true?

There was deffo talk of a 10ftc somewhere, can't remember exactly where though

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

And this is it, right here. Chris Roberts made a couple of games in the early 90s that were extraordinarily simple because back then, that was really all you could do when you were making an arcade shooter. They were not simulators, they did not have deep, engaging storylines - they were a simplistic arcade shooter woven around a simplistic Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book.

Chris has absolutely no idea whatsoever how PCs work, or how games are developed. He's a man in way, way over his head, propelled to a position of unquestioned leadership purely through a reputation that was far more about luck and nostalgic name recognition than actual talent.

Chris has no idea about IO limits, networking limits, CPU cycle allocation, storage limits - he knows literally nothing. He thinks that making a game is literally a 1:1 conversion of the atomic structures in real life to having a PC mimic those structures. You build each item in the world with infinite polygons, you render everything whether visible or not, you create everything in the game as a 100% translation of how it works in real life (or his version of real life.) If it doesn't work, it's because the PC isn't powerful enough, or your people aren't trying hard enough, or you're not using the right tech.

When the rest of the gaming world sees a game with spectacular, realistic high-fidelity graphics, we marvel at the thousands of complex tricks the game developers leveraged to give that illusion of reality. Chris thinks it is reality, without tricks.

Chris thinks The Matrix is real.

A game under his leadership is doomed from the jump.

Chris is just some bloke who thought up the perfect way to get some quality time with Hollywood A-list celebs and play at directing a fake movie, and also make some spending cash on the side

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:flaccid:

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Quavers posted:

Elite's 2.3 beta has started, but no multi-crew yet. Stupidly huge patch notes warning...

Holy poo poo. Thats insane. Off I go to play E:D again.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Sheogorath posted:

If this is true, and it seems the most likely option to me as well, how much less than 145 million dollars has CIG actually received? From how people seem to discuss the ship sales on reddit or the rsi forums, a large portion of purchases are just moving money around.

And to test this, how long does it take to melt and rebuy a ship from the store? Could one just melt and buy and melt and buy an aurora 50 times and look for a spike in the hourly chart? I know you have to get some things authorized to melt but maybe itd be possible with a smaller sized ship.

That's a good idea, actually.

Does anyone know the limits on melting stuff?

If they wouldn't keep this from working, does anyone with $$$ still invested want to try this for science?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's cool, congratz CIG :thumbsup:

I can pair some of those to their respective Javs - I mean that must be the reason anyone buys a completionist right? To buy a Jav?

Heh, you are right, never thought about that but there are clearly hits in the $2,500-$3K range shortly after.

Speaking of which, what is the price of the Javelin now? Used to be 2.5K but I swear they bump it to 2.8K or 3K now. I can't find the price in the store since the jpeg is unavailable and I'm a filthy pleb.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Xaerael posted:

Who loving cares about Star Citizen when....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WERMGYQBXwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQp5l4-sfFA

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Goobs posted:

no. everyone here thinks that they are full of poo poo. the only other thing that it could possibly be is CR is gifting these out to people, family/friends, etc and then adding it to the counter as income.

Or someone is buying them then refunding them then buying it again for some reason.

Or her is paying for motion capture directly in spaceship packs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Melt purchases don't show on the tracker, this has been talked to death a few times.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm going to come clean, the funding tracker is mainly me buying Mustangs

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

I've been buying pre-ordering t-shirts and hoodies to stockpile, cos they're totally rad.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I maintain a number of subscriptions because I like their open developmeness. It's great to see where they are after only several months of game dev.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Zzr posted:

I maintain a number of subscriptions because I like their open developmeness. It's great to see where they are after only several months of game dev.

development only really began in 2017, when they hired programmers.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : developmentally challenged

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Goobs posted:

development only really began in 2017, when they hired programmers.

Nah, no need to rewrite history just to make SC look good. Development started in December 2016 when they picked Lumberyard for their engine.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Exinos posted:

Nah, no need to rewrite history just to make SC look good. Development started in December 2016 when they picked Lumberyard for their engine.

true. its nice to see amazon really working hand in hand with CIG to make the BDSSE.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Goobs posted:

true. its nice to see amazon really working hand in hand with CIG to make the BDSSE.

Waiting how they fold this game into a benefit for Prime members.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

i think hes pointing out how unlikely it actually is. CIG is loving with their own numbers to seem on the up and up.

e: bart taxxe

that is one excellent cat

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Star citizen : developmentally challenged

mods plz

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Quavers posted:

Yes, but can you get inside your ship's crawlspace and switch server racks? Checkmate goonie

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

ya but is there baby kidnapping though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ayn Marx posted:

Yes, but can you get inside your ship's crawlspace and switch server racks? Checkmate goonie

Also can I mix drinks and space farm? I think not.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Good thinking, get a monopoly on them and then you can cash in big when the game ships and you can't buy them for real dollars anymoHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm sorry I tried to hold it together

e: imgur's broken or something, check back later for taxxe

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 28, 2017

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Goobs posted:

that's what those 10k spikes are. Amazon buying lumberyard devs completionist packages so they can test more ships while working on the engine.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

e: imgur's broken or something, check back later for taxxe

i got you fam.

here's bart plotting my murder.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

i got you fam.

here's bart plotting my murder.

Steering the shark ship to your ultimate demise

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

his nibs posted:

Steering the shark ship to your ultimate demise

its his base of operations. best but also worst purchase ever made.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Space farm

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

its his base of operations. best but also worst purchase ever made.

if he's set up cat comms I don't know what to say :ohdear:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Daztek posted:

Space farm

Aw poo poo son, guess what's getting moved up to 3.1, maybe even 3.0...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Also can I mix drinks and space farm? I think not.

That's the 10,000 ft view.

I'll grow the basic items to trade so someone can operate the distillery and sell the booze.