Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

And thus the story of Ashita no Goat comes to an end.

I think "Hajime no Kiddo" works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yurigasaki
Feb 27, 2016

Lulu's so clever!
Don't ever forget Goat-kun :cry:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
So Goat-kun is the secret final boss of the fighting game right? It would make me sad to find out he was a joke character, or not there at all.

Wasn't Virgillia supposed to be intimidating in Episode 3 or was that just a fever dream?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Fabulousvillain posted:

So Goat-kun is the secret final boss of the fighting game right? It would make me sad to find out he was a joke character, or not there at all.

Wasn't Virgillia supposed to be intimidating in Episode 3 or was that just a fever dream?

If I recall correctly, the only representation the goats get is as part of Virgillia's move set.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to check in on the meta zone now. I get the feeling Beato isn't even trying to keep a straight face any more.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Sindai posted:

I want to check in on the meta zone now. I get the feeling Beato isn't even trying to keep a straight face any more.

"No no, Krauss definitely defeated one of my goat furniture. Because he tripped too many loser flags, and also because of the multiplicative power of a double-cross-counter."

"..."

"Keep up Battler, this isn't even magic. Everyone knows this much about boxing."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly the biggest sin the Umineko anime has committed, by far, was that they omitted the Goat-kun scene.

Aside from that, as I read Umineko for the second time the whole way through, I have to say that Krauss is probably the best of the four Ushiromiya siblings. Yes he can be a douchebag, no doubt, however...

-He never physically or emotionally abused his child like Rosa (and probably taught her fist fighting on the side, despite it not being "lady like")
-Did not cheat on his wife like Rudolf, who also two-timed both women even before marrying one.
-Did not become a crazy witch like Eva (if you believe in magic, which you should cause it's real.)

So yeah Krauss ain't perfect, but he basically turned out the most stable of the four despite having all the pressures of headship on him from Kinzo.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

lotus circle posted:

Honestly the biggest sin the Umineko anime has committed, by far, was that they omitted the Goat-kun scene.

Aside from that, as I read Umineko for the second time the whole way through, I have to say that Krauss is probably the best of the four Ushiromiya siblings. Yes he can be a douchebag, no doubt, however...

-He never physically or emotionally abused his child like Rosa (and probably taught her fist fighting on the side, despite it not being "lady like")
-Did not cheat on his wife like Rudolf, who also two-timed both women even before marrying one.
-Did not become a crazy witch like Eva (if you believe in magic, which you should cause it's real.)

So yeah Krauss ain't perfect, but he basically turned out the most stable of the four despite having all the pressures of headship on him from Kinzo.

Counterpoint: his bullying is one of the major reasons Eva and Rosa are so hosed up (although you can, again, trace that back to Kinzo 'how badly can I gently caress my family up?' Ushiromiya.) He's definitely the best parent of the four siblings, though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

mycelia posted:

Counterpoint: his bullying is one of the major reasons Eva and Rosa are so hosed up (although you can, again, trace that back to Kinzo 'how badly can I gently caress my family up?' Ushiromiya.)

This is true, but at least he regrets it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Krauss is fully aware of his part in his siblings being as they are and is legitimately trying to keep the whole family from collapsing in on itself.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

mycelia posted:

Counterpoint: his bullying is one of the major reasons Eva and Rosa are so hosed up (although you can, again, trace that back to Kinzo 'how badly can I gently caress my family up?' Ushiromiya.) He's definitely the best parent of the four siblings, though.
Yeah he isn't perfect at all, but of the four I'd say he probably came out the best as a whole person.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

I'm a little less sympathetic to Krauss when I remember that he did a lot of his Rosa bullying when he was in his late twenties.

But yeah, he is absolutely the best of the siblings in umineko's timeframe.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The murder of goat-kun must be avenged.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I lost it at all the death flags being tripped. Amazing.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The death flags were great.

Also, Krauss once again demonstrates his astounding business acumen when he hears about a 1 in 10000 chance and thinks "I would totally bet on that". You just know that Krauss's room is full of hundreds of losing lottery tickets, but it's ok because this next one will totally make up for it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Qrr posted:

The death flags were great.

Also, Krauss once again demonstrates his astounding business acumen when he hears about a 1 in 10000 chance and thinks "I would totally bet on that". You just know that Krauss's room is full of hundreds of losing lottery tickets, but it's ok because this next one will totally make up for it.

Apparently he is actually good at making those risky bets. From how it's been described from the first several episodes, his foresight is just too early. He will invest in something and it will start losing him money, he will then get cold feet and try to sell it off to minimize his losses. Even if it's obvious to other people that if he waited a bit he would start making money.

Krauss even made it clear in the second episode that one of his flaws was his inability to trust his own foresight.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

oath2order posted:

"Peas gazed up at the enormous goat. Four episodes it had taken him to learn what magic was hiding underneath the trollfaces. Oh stubbornness, set free by the sweet loving goat imotou. But it was alright. The struggle was over. He had won the victory over Fruitless Reasoning and Red Truth. He loved Anime."

Hey, if you think you can get on my good side by referencing 1984... well, you're right about that. Not quite ready for the long-hoped-for bullet yet, though. Theses scenes just don't have a lot to work with, detection-wise. I think it'll be easier to figure out what they mean once everyone is dead.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kill em all and let anime sort them out.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I buried my uncle today. I came home to see this.

I'm not angry. I'm just mildly annoyed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MonsterEnvy posted:

Krauss even made it clear in the second episode that one of his flaws was his inability to trust his own foresight.

Maybe that's true, but I read that as post-hoc rationalisations of his failure to manage money at the time.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

:siren:Video: Succession, Part 3:siren:

...Ronove advanced with his magic circle wall bit by bit... and would probably crush her against the other wall eventually. Considering the distance, she threw out her fists... This would be her final strike.

Jessica had dealt out many punches so far. The wall wasn't invincible. It had already started to crack, and it wouldn't be strange for it to smash at any moment. However, due to the rebounding damage, Jessica also had cuts all over her body... and was all worn out.

"...Q-Quit loving a-around... Not yet... It isn't... over yet..."
"...You have wounds all over your body. It's all you can manage just to stand, is it not? It seems you plan on putting all your strength into this final strike. However, that final strike will be fatal for you."

The damage reflected by Ronove's magic circle wall was proportional to the strength of the attack. Jessica's all-out punch would be bounced back onto her. The more all-out she went, the more suicidal it would be for Jessica.

"I-I get it, I know that..."
"I am warning you. Stop this now. This is for your own good."
"Stop bluffing. Your wall is already about to break, right...? I can tell by the feel of it after punching it so much, okay...?"
"..."

And on top of that, Jessica's fists had been imbued with an unimaginable magical attack power by now, and their destructive strength defied the imagination. In the worst case, that destructive power might even pierce the defensive wall, smash Ronove as well, and create an expansion connecting this room to the next. However, that damage would rebound on Jessica as well. She wouldn't escape unharmed!

"I will say it just one more time. Stop. I say this out of consideration for you!"

Jessica howled. Putting all the strength of her greatest and final destructive power into her fist, she roared...

...He was after her. He was planning on bringing her down with a single strike...

Gaap was also aiming for a single strike. If she let that chance slide, she would be killed this time...

"...Aren't you going to use your pitfalls?"
"...Ack..."

Even the tiny opening during the time it took to open the hole would prove fatal with George as an opponent right now. Gaap cautiously calculated the distance and timing, but even as she did, George closed the gap between them...

"...If you won't come, I will."
"...G-Go ahead... There's no point in cheap tricks anymore. I'll settle it... with this kick of mine!"

For an instant, she thought George's body blurred, and then only his jacket was floating in the air. The moment she thought 'Ah-', darkness covered Gaap. George, with his heel swung up high, was attacking from the sky like a massive dragon.

BGM: Dread of the Grave -More Fear-

"What?"

Gaap opened a vast pitfall with her in the center, swallowing up George along with herself...!! The two were swallowed up by the pitfall... and spat out from the ceiling of the arbor. But that was what Gaap had been after, so she alone landed lightly.

...However, there was another pitfall in George's landing spot.

"Ehheheheheheheh, aaaahhahahahahahahahahaha!!! Gotcha, Ushiromiya Geoooooooooorge!! It was fun, so die. The Ushiromiya Family Headship would be wasted on the likes of you, so I'll finish you right here, right now!!! Aaaaaahhhhh, nngaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!"

George once again fell from the ceiling of the arbor. He had probably been dropped the same distance as falling off the roof of a two story building. In the sky, he couldn't control his posture in any way. It was impossible to resist or defend or avoid!!

As Gaap spun like a whirlwind, she concentrated all of her energy on the sharp tip of her stiletto heel. This was the final strike... to perform his requiem. The final strike of the queen bee that would bore into heaven, knocking him down into the true Abyss!!

She closed in on her prey... and stuck her foot up into the sky.

...At that time, she saw George's face. Even though he was in midair, he was calmly adjusting his glasses with the middle finger of his right hand. And his posture was still preserved as that of an axe kick.

Without the faintest deviation, he aimed for Gaap's forehead...

"...Wh...at...?"
"If I'd jumped to make the person on the ground taste my heel, my posture would have collapsed long ago. However, my posture hasn't collapsed in the slightest. Do you know why?"
"...You... don't... mean..."

"Uu, oooooooooooooohhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!"
"It's your loss, Miss!!!"

BGM: None

The final, strongest punch that Jessica had raised... reached the wall... and was sucked in. It was sucked into a black, large hole that had suddenly opened on the wall.

"Well, I did tell you to stop."

"This... is..."
"...Gu, ah..."
"Actually, I wasn't even close to being in a pinch. Sooorry..."

BGM: Happy Maria! (Instrumental)

The shocking destructive power imbued in Jessica's fist crushed George's organs and scattered his abdomen. The same destructive power in George's axe kick smashed half of Jessica's head... and scattered its contents in the same manner...

"Pfft, ahhahahahahahahahahahaha...!! Didn't I tell yooou? About a witch's acting proweeeeeeess? Hey, hey, Beato, what do you think, were you watching...?"

Beato and Gaap casually high-fived each other.

"...Nng, aaah... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!"

Gaap dropped Jessica's corpse through a pitfall... and all the chunks were thrown into Jessica's room, as carelessly as throwing something into the trash...

Jessica's corpse and lumps of flesh fell from the ceiling and poured out all over her room. Ronove shook his head slightly at this gruesome change of scenery.

"However, the true art of us demons... that is, foreseeing this conclusion and giving you advice I knew you wouldn't listen to, really isn't something a Human could understand. Pukkukukukukukukukukuku!"
"It really was fun, kid. But you play with words a bit too much. Is 'Maybe it's about time I started fighting back?' really the best you've got? Heheheh, are you trying to be someone from a light novel or something? *giggle*giggle*giggle*!"

In the arbor brutally decorated by George's and Jessica's scattered blood and guts, Gaap enjoyed a loud laugh for a while... But she quickly realized that, in all seriousness, this was a little too filthy and undignified, and she snapped her fingers. As she did, a cloud of gold butterflies rose up around her, stuck to each of the bits and blood stains, and dropped them. Then, George's corpse returned bit by bit, and the brutal corpse with its guts torn out was repaired into a clean corpse that looked like it was sleeping. Was this some act of sportsmanship towards a dead rival...?

The heavens were split. Because Gaap had lifted her leg high, pointing at the sky.

*splat*.

Without a trace of mercy, that foot stepped down... and was buried into George's forehead. The stiletto heel that was sharp as a weapon pierced George's forehead. With a *bloop*, it was pulled out... It was like a mark proving that Gaap certainly had finished him by her own hand...

Ronove also returned Jessica's corpse to its original form. And unlike how it had been with George, he restored Jessica's life...

BGM: Requiem

"No, that is wrong. You certainly did pass away, Jessica-sama. You should be well aware of the memory of your final moments."

Jessica's mind was burning. For some reason, she remembered being thrown somewhere... and having George's heel smash her head...

"Am I... alive...?"
"No, you are dead. With my magic, that will only be postponed for a scant three minutes. After three minutes, the magic will end, and you will return to being a tragic corpse with half of its head crushed."
"...Wh-What'd you say...? Heh, heheheheh..."
"Death is brutal. In most cases, you aren't even given the time to ready your heart. But to praise you for fighting so bravely, I've decided to give you this time. Perhaps you should sort out your regrets from this world in those three minutes."
"I can also... decide to take you along with me during those three minutes..."

But the power that had burned through Jessica's body until a second ago had been completely lost. Jessica was aware of that herself. She was already dead.

"And that is all for me. If you would excuse me. It was fun, Jessica-sama."

Ronove turned his form into a cloud of gold butterflies and disappeared. All that remained was the sound of the wind and rain, and the figure of Jessica as she crouched down, leaning against the wall...

Jessica could tell. She probably really would revert to the corpse she had been after three minutes. Was there anything she could do in those three minutes...?

She stood up, and with a shaky gait, took the phone that was on the desk...

"...Heh, heheheheh... They... got me..."
"Are you okay?! Did you get injured?! I'll come to save you right now!!"
"No, it's already too late. I'm... already dead, or so I hear... Ahahaha, by the time you got here, Battler, I'd be a corpse with half its head split open."
"Craaaaaaap, that drat geezer!! Wait there, I'm coming right now!!"
"Listen to me, Battler!! Listen closely, okay...? Now I totally see why Gohda-san and Kumasawa-san were evasive about the time the six in the dining hall got killed."

"Wh-Whaat?! What are you talking about...?"
"I saw it, so what am I supposed to do?!! Those guys warp and set up barriers, ahhaha, and do whatever they want, okay...? It's like some kind of manga, an anime... hell, and we seriously can't keep up. Ahhahhahhah... From the very beginning, fighting was useless... They really aren't opponents that you'll be able to fight with that hat-stand spear you're so proud of..."

A line of blood dripped down from Jessica's forehead...

"Y-You mean about the test...?"
"No. Don't misunderstand... and assume that your enemy's Human. The enemy... isn't Human. They're demons... that can freely wield a terrifying magic. No matter what, don't get the wrong idea about that... *cough*, *cough*cough*!! Be... careful..."

A line of blood dripped down from Jessica's mouth as well. The left half of her head started hurting. Jessica realized that she was about to return to the corpse she had been.

"...When 13 people die, the Golden Witch... will revive. Six were killed including Mom. That's the first twilight. Then George nii-san and I were killed... for the second twilight. So once five more people are killed, the ceremony will be complete, and the witch will revive."

Battler already didn't understand what Jessica was saying. But from her tone, he realized that she knew she was about to die. So even though he didn't understand the situation, he urged her to give it her all.

"...Haha, I said I'm already dead. See ya. It looks like it's time."
"Good luck on your test. I hope you... can become the Head...."
"Jessica? Jessica?! Hey, answer me!! Jessicaaaaaaaaaaa!!"

Battler's sorrowful voice could be heard from the dangling receiver. As she leaned against the wall in that corner, crouched down...

Jessica's head had been half smashed...

"...Is this... a well...? Where is this...?"

Kyrie stuck her face out of the well, and then Krauss showed himself too. When he realized that they could see the back of the mansion from beyond a grove of trees, Krauss knew more or less where they were. To think that here, in a certain well, there had been a hidden underground passage, which led to a hidden mansion...

"Th-This really is tough on this old body... I usually came up from a different spot, with real stairs. If you just unlock it..."
"...I will ask you to tell me about the layout of this place in detail later, Doctor Nanjo. Shannon, are you okay? Grab hold."
"...I-I'm fine. Kanon-kun, quickly."

Kanon climbed up a ladder out of the shaft that was disguised as a well. It was probably quite deep. When he looked down, for the first time, he realized how far he'd come up.

BGM: Miragecoordinator

Bang.

...Everyone there looked through the hole in Kanon's chest to the scenery beyond...

"...K-Kanon-kun!!!"
"...Ne...e-sa..."

Kanon slumped backwards... and was swallowed up into the depths of the well...

"E-Everyone, run!! The Chiester Sisters!! They've locked on, we can't avoid them!! Run!! Let at least one of us remain alive...!!!"

"Shannon!!!"

Her head had been pierced. The three had witnessed it perfectly until it had shot out the opposite side, blowing it away. Shannon fell to her knees, blood gushing from both sides of her head, and flopped to the ground.

"W-Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhyaaaaaaaaaahhh!!"
"They're after us!! Run!! We'll be killed!!"
"...R-Run, runrunrun!!!"

As Nanjo doubled over in shock, stunned by how Shannon had died, the Chiester Sisters did not allow him to escape.

...Thump. And so, Nanjo passed away.

"What the, why...?!! Where's the enemy coming from?!"
"We're being sniped!! I don't know where from, but they've honed in on us perfectly!! Let's escape into the mansion, block their field of vision!!"

The two dashed towards the back door of the mansion. Then, right as Krauss was about to shut the door behind him...

"...Gu, oooh..."
"Eeek!! Eeeeeeeeeeeekkk!!!"

Krauss's body leaned over, fell down, and drew a neat radial pattern with the insides of his head...

Kyrie ran wildly through the hallway, flew into some room, and locked the door. But even so, she wasn't even remotely convinced that this had saved her life. She would probably die soon!

After hanging up the call from Jessica, Batter had been about to dash out. In that instant, the phone rang again.

BGM: Eternity

"...Yes, Battler-kun. I got lucky. I managed to escape the dungeon somehow. I really did have luck on my side."
"Where are you?! Is everyone okay?! Over here, it looks like Jessica and George-aniki are-"
"Listen!!! I probably won't be alive for long."

...Oh, that's unusual. The enemy, who sniped the other four one after another with extraordinary skill, apparently really does have trouble shooting me between the eyes with a single shot while I'm holed up in this room. But the next strike will probably hit...

At this point, Kyrie finally remembered the first massive killing in the dining hall... That's right... This is what killed Rudolf and the rest, all six of them...

"...Listen, Battler-kun. I'm going to tell you everything exactly as I saw it. I'm sure you'll think there's something wrong with my head."
"Yes, it's okay for you think that. Even I still haven't sorted out what it was I saw."
"...Today, after you all returned to the guesthouse, the family conference began in the dining hall... and I'll tell you everything that happened next. Listen until the end without butting in. The call might be suddenly cut off partway through. If it does, at that time, I'll be dead."
"...Kyrie...san..."

...About how she had escaped somehow... and ran away to where she was now, and how everyone had finally been killed... It was all spoken dispassionately, with no dramatization, just as she'd seen it. She even spoke about how everyone except her had been killed, and how she had observed the moments of all their deaths, and how even now, someone was trying to kill her.

"First it was by my feet. Next, it was close to my shoulders. Just now, it grazed my ear. Its aim is getting more and more accurate. Looks like it'll go right between my eyes pretty soon..."
"R-Run, Kyrie-san...!! Run awaaaaaaaaaaay!!!"
"Where to? I've... run this far, shut myself into a room, and even locked the door, right...? Now that I'm still being pursued, just where should I hide... hey..."
"Ky...ri...e...san..."
"Hey, Battler-kun... Are Jessica-chan and George-kun...still alive?"
"...Not long ago, I got a phone call from Jessica... It kinda... sounded like they were... done for..."
"...Thought so. Yeah, when we were being killed one after another, I had a kind of premonition. I thought that perhaps the second twilight had been finished in the ceremony of killing 13 people... before our twilights had been reached. In short, when I die, that's 13 people. This way, the ceremony is complete. The Golden Witch, Beatrice, will resurrect."

Kyrie-san's voice... had completely given up on her own life. Because Battler understood that, he couldn't stop the tears...

"...There's just one thing...I can advise you on."
"What...?"
"...If... a demon or a witch does appear in front of you..."
"Yeah..."
"There's no need whatsoever to doubt whether it's real or not. Understand that it is what it seems to be."
"..."
"You might think there must be some trick, or that there's some true nature hidden behind it. If you have the time to think of something like that, it'd be much more constructive to plan out how not to damage the mood of whatever you're facing. Even mistakenly, you must not say 'In that case, try showing me magic'... Because to prove that, they'll probably use an even crueler way than before... to show you."
"...I can't... believe it... Even if I hear... something like that coming from your mouth, I can't believe it..."

"...You're telling me to believe in Beatrice... and demons and witches and monsters...?"
"...Even after being shown things not of this world so clearly, I think we still weren't able to believe any of it. I'm still like that now. The true form of this thing that keeps attacking me, trying to shoot through my forehead, is something I don't understand... and I can't believe it. So... I want you alone to believe, to understand, to accept the existence... of what we couldn't accept. If you do that for me, our deaths won't be wasted. It'll also have been worth it for me to make this phone call... Ah...!"
"K-Kyrie-san?!?!"
"...I'm still okay. It scratched me, but it missed again. It looks like... I probably won't get another chance. Thank you. And goodbye, Battler-kun. I treated you coldly sometimes because you were Asumu-san's son. Forgive me... for those days."

I felt as though I'd heard an incredible sound at the other end of the receiver. Then, a noisy clacking sound. As though the receiver had fallen to the floor.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

How convenient that Jessica and Kyrie both have enough time to tell Battler that magic is real. :raise:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

SardonicTyrant posted:

How convenient that Jessica and Kyrie both have enough time to tell Battler that magic is real. :raise:

Yes. Nothing suspicious here at all. Everything we've seen is exactly how it happened.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

They were nice enough to put George's body back together again, too, so it could end up with just one wound on it like you might get from, say, a gunshot. So polite.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Well, that was fun.

Guesses on who gave Jessica the script? I'm thinking Kyrie is an accomplice and called Battler from the same phone right after she killed Jessica.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Aaaand our Beatrice is at it again, with the football being set up and taken right away; she's done it three times now, each time more ridiculous than the last, and has shown an impeccable display of narrative flow, the rules of drama, and how to break Battler anew across her knee without relying on the same tricks twice. Astonishing. Remarkable... but while this dog and pony show successfully confused me before, I can see her intent now. This is not an attempt to teach Battler the truth, or avenge herself on Kinzo at all. This is the attempt of an abused, vengeful individual to make her fantasy in which she is strong, beautiful- in which she is the abuser, not the one abused- true, to put herself on top of the ones who pushed her down, and the only thing left at this point that prevents that (in her mind) is Battler's refusal to see her as a "witch"- as someone who triumphs over impossible odds, who breaks the social order of abusers being abused, as the one who knocks. The one who eats, not who is eaten. The one who does not hurt, does not cry, does not suffer- does not have to feel alone. Does not have to feel the gnawing emptiness in her which tells her she is nothing and always will be nothing... that no one will care or notice if she's gone. It's the same logic that makes people unleash bombs, guns, fire upon other people, their peers or their lessers in the name of religion nationality, skin color... the same logic which causes one to use their authority, their place as the protectors of society, to instead bully and terrorize the societal fringes, those that have no voice in society, because who cares about them? About a bunch of smelly brown immigrants who take our jobs? About one gay teen? About black people?

To put it another way: Beatrice is apparently a nihilist, someone who embraces the inherent disorder and meaninglessness of the universe as proof that she has no choice but to torment these people, that she must do this or suffer... But Ryukishi07 is almost certainly not. He knows, from his former social work that it is not the universe as a whole that is to blame for cruelty and selfishness and self-destruction, it is people itself. Our parents, our leaders, our schoolmates and peers: they teach us how society operates, they teach us to be cruel or kind, just or unjust, to embrace one another or cast everyone aside in favor of number one. It is not God, or time, or the weather that teach us anything- they just are, and we live within their auspices as well as we were taught to. All of the cruelty and horror we've seen in this family seems to have its root squarely in Kinzo, but even that twisted knot has been implied to have once been straight rope, as just a boy looking for love and success before the pressures of his family and the loss of his happiness made him the monster we know today. Suffering has a source within people; Beatrice has a wellspring within her for her suffering, and she believes that Battler's mundanity, when destroyed, will stop the hurting because the denial of magic, to Beatrice (and Maria, and schoolgirl-Ange), means a validation of their suffering, that they have been left behind by happy people, that they are trapped in an abusive cycle and that such abuse is right. But Battler doesn't say that: he just doesn't know. He was lucky, and was raised with privilege and love; he can't conceive of the world being as cruel and dark as it was for Beatrice. If he knew, he would be offended; he would see it as a tragedy as much as Beatrice does, I believe. And the great tragedy is that Beatrice cannot tell him, because they both remain locked in their respective viewpoints, convinced that the only way forward is to destroy each other.

Look past this, Battler. Do not be deceived by the efforts of a deluded and hurting mind. See past that to the truth, for it will set us all free.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tender Child Loins posted:

Well, that was fun.

Guesses on who gave Jessica the script? I'm thinking Kyrie is an accomplice and called Battler from the same phone right after she killed Jessica.

Yeah. I'm happy with my Kyrie, Kumasawa and possibly Nanjo theory at the moment. With them all working for the Sumadera's.

My original expectation for what was going on in this episode has been completely ruined though. I was sure that everyone in the guesthouse was going to already be dead with everyone in the dungeon having been unconscious for far longer than they thought, and having had their watches changed. I'd even come up with a grand theory that they were watching Jessica's and George's trials on from recorded CCTV, and the phonecalls were prerecorded, but then Kyrie had to go and call Battler in what can't have been anything but real time and disprove me.

E: Thought if it's those 3 it still doesn't explain Jessica's murder at the end of the last episode.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. I'm happy with my Kyrie, Kumasawa and possibly Nanjo theory at the moment. With them all working for the Sumadera's.

Do you mean you're going for Kyrietrice, or that they're all Beato's accomplices, or what?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Eyy, this means Kumasawa and Gohda made it to the final five for the first time!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

curiousCat posted:

Eyy, this means Kumasawa and Gohda made it to the final five for the first time!

Considering they were very carefully put into a place where no harm can come to them, they're loving dead.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Beato and Gaap casually high-fived each other.

"...Nng, aaah... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!"

Oh god I just noticed the high-five and I just burst into uncontrollable laughter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

oath2order posted:

Oh god I just noticed the high-five and I just burst into uncontrollable laughter.
There's applause from the audience and Beatrice gives an amazing YAAAAY. Everyone needs to watch that part of the video.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

oath2order posted:

I had to double check that line, holy poo poo! Also, whoops didn't read the whole update.

Edit: Welp, there goes everybody. This episode has some weird pacing.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 2, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
The "Prepared Backlog" counter has been removed from the OP, because my backlog now extends all the way to the end of this thread. Rejoice! I get to take it easy for a while!

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
You are truly the Witch of the Endless Backlog, Prof.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Meta Battler continues to not use the blue text. On the other hand, Beato hasn't really presented him with anything that requires magic aside from fictional accounts and scripted phone calls. I actually wonder if that's her plan - give him a tool to argue back with, and then don't give him anything to argue about. Sort of similar to her refusing to use the red. Especially with how the blue works now, if she provides a puzzle with one solution then he has to find out that solution and say it in blue. If she provides a puzzle with a thousand solutions, he has to figure out the right one. Instead of hiding a needle in a haystack she hides a needle in a needle stack.

Also in this entire chapter I don't think we have solid evidence that a single person has died yet. We have Kumasawa and Gohda, who aren't reliable, and we have phone calls, which are definitely not reliable. Presumably the survivors will find some bodies in locked rooms soon.

Oh, and Gohda and Kumasawa could totally be accomplices here. Their setup means they could give someone the key, that someone unlocks the shed, they do whatever it is they want to do, and then they get locked back in again and get the key back.

I think it'd be kind of funny to look at other video games with the same attitude as we look at Umineko when we assume magic isn't real. Or books. Like, when Gandalf fights the Balrog and breaks the bridge it's a metaphor for some heavily armored dude getting tackled off a bridge by an old guy in a gray robe.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 2, 2017

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

tiistai posted:

Do you mean you're going for Kyrietrice, or that they're all Beato's accomplices, or what?

I'm actually not sure on that as of yet. There are good arguments either way. Basically I think it either is Kyrietrice or they are Beatrice's accomplices and Beatrice themselves isn't on the island.

If it's Kyrietrice, you have the jilted lover theory, Kyrie finds out someone new about Asamu and snaps. I don't buy this because it seems like a lot of murders for something that Rudolf did, unless it's a larger thing, like he was forced to marry Asamu for some reason. Also, if this were primarily about getting back at Rudolf, the order of the murders doesn't make sense. I would want Rudolf to die last, and make him watch is family die. At least kill Battler in front of him, as it is, Battler almost always lives to the end. Unless this is actually about getting back at him for the pain his existence is causing her, that doesn't make sense. This version explains Battlers DOB being in the pin (which I hadn't noticed at all!), it's the date at which everything fell apart for her.

If they're Beato's accomplices, you get a different situation. Presumably they've (by which I mean the Sumadera's) threatened the safety of the off-island family members of Nanjo, Kumasawa, and Kyrie. They're put in a position where they have to kill everyone on the island so Ange can inherit the money, and they, by proxy, can get it through threatening Ange. This explains both how Rudolf knows he's going to die. Presumably Kyrie told him, and it explains why Battler survives to the end. Presumably Rudolf pleaded with Kyrie to try and save him and Kyrie acquiesced. Is Battler's corpse ever found? I can't remember. Maybe he's not even dead. This also explains where the massive payoff's come from. The murderer has to be rich. The Sumadera's would definitely have access to that kind of money. For everyone else but Krauss and Kinzo (and Beatrice who is a witch), it's a stretch. All the siblings have money problems already. The kids wouldn't be able to get that kind of money together. It's possible Kumasawa, Nanjo or Gohda have stacks of money stashed away, we don't know that much about them, but it seems unlikely. The issue with this theory is that it doesn't really get at Beatrice's psychological motivations at all, even if it seems to hang together much more on the evidence.

Qrr posted:

Also in this entire chapter I don't think we have solid evidence that a single person has died yet. We have Kumasawa and Gohda, who aren't reliable, and we have phone calls, which are definitely not reliable. Presumably the survivors will find some bodies in locked rooms soon.

Yeah, you're right. We've really not got anything to go on. I said earlier that the phonecall between Battler and Kyrie ruined my theory, but really, I have literally no evidence that any of the stuff that caused me to come up with that theory happened at all. Now you've pointed that out, I'm wondering if maybe no-one was ever even in a dungeon at all. There's no need to explain how everyone got from the parlour to the dungeon so fast if they didn't, and we have no evidence they did. Until we find a corpse and get meta-commentary on it, we're just here for the ride.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 2, 2017

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Three more posts until the next page.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
OK, I don't know what that is but it did the trick. Impending update.

• Locked thread