Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wonder how the remastered Ghost World will look. Saw it in a theater two years ago, was probably a DCP, but it looked like poo poo. Looked very much like a low-budget late 90s movie.

(Love the film though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vegetable posted:

Wonder how the remastered Ghost World will look. Saw it in a theater two years ago, was probably a DCP, but it looked like poo poo. Looked very much like a low-budget late 90s movie.

(Love the film though)

But that's what it is. It also was slightly overstaurated

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
How quickly do the new releases go on filmstruck?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
so that roku app for Film Struck is just not happening right

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SleepCousinDeath posted:

so that roku app for Film Struck is just not happening right

Slated for Spring

quote:

Spring 2017: Roku
Mid 2017: PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
drat it, I guess I'll just keep hooking my laptop up to my TV.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

drat it, I guess I'll just keep hooking my laptop up to my TV.

Get a Chromecast.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A little disappointed at world cinema project keeping Taipei story. I'll make a decision in November if I want to get the wcp or maybe just see if I can find it standalone on ebay.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
There's a viral movement going on to have Angel's Egg released. Did this ever work out in the past?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Friedkin's Sorcerer was sitting on a forgotten shelf until a grass roots movement started lobbying to find out who owned the rights since it was in legal rights hell for so long that everyone forgot who had the the actual ownership of the film. When Friedkin found out (via that movement) that there was no longer a legal quagmire surrounding it (the details escape me), he started getting the gears rolling and a year later, there was a restored DCP of the film, followed by a Blu Ray release shortly after. Keep in mind this is a movie that barely even had a proper VHS release because of all the bullshit surrounding it, so the fact that we have a Blu Ray release of this movie in the year of our Lord 2017 is a cinematic miracle.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Having seen that restored DCP in the theater it's an absolute miracle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/BFI/status/834350797005664256

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Aw dammit :smith:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That sucks. :( Though at 93 he had a pretty good run. Tokyo Drifter is one of my favorite Criterions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Branded to Kill is one of mine. Amazing movie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
How much of Suzuki's filmography is available in the west? Other than Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill, all I've seen are Voice Without a Shadow (from Arrow's Nikkatsu Diamond Guys set) and Take Aim at the Police Van (from the Nikkatsu Noir set).

I've also never seen Youth of the Beast, which I didn't realize was Suzuki until just now. I'll have to get on that.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Fighting Elegy and Gate of Flesh both have had Criterion releases, Detective Bureau 2-3 was on Netflix at some point, and his Lupin movie has had some sort of release.

Most of his later releases have been shown in the West in some capacity, but I think they tend to get overlooked. His earlier stuff and his TV work though is harder to find or doesn't have English subs readily available which sucks

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only of his films I've seen is Take Aim at the Police Van but I quite liked it. RIP.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Canadian goons, with HMV closing, they've recently changed their markdowns from 10% to 25%. They have Criterions, however, the selection is limited. It's still not as good of a deal as B&N used to be before our dollar tumbled, but I picked up two films for just shy of $60.

I'm sure they'll have another markdown, but I'm not sure how much they'll have by that point. Their vinyl selection is already picked over, and that was when it was only 10% off.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rosemary's Baby Blu-ray is currently $17.11 on Amazon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Disharmony posted:

There's a viral movement going on to have Angel's Egg released. Did this ever work out in the past?

I honestly get the feeling Japanese animation is something Janus and Criterion tend to actively avoid, so even if that has worked before, it won't for Angel's Egg.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly get the feeling Japanese animation is something Janus and Criterion tend to actively avoid, so even if that has worked before, it won't for Angel's Egg.

And yet somehow they decided "Jellyfish Eyes" met their standards.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

zandert33 posted:

And yet somehow they decided "Jellyfish Eyes" met their standards.

man I tried but I could not even make it through that movie

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gently caress!

Story of a Prostitute is really good, as is Fighting Elegy.

Rest in peace you delightful lunatic.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What gives you that impression? Until recently, they haven't done much animation, and they did release Akira on Laserdisc. I don't really have enough knowledge to say either way, but I don't know if they actively avoid it, or if it's just something they haven't really looked into because there's already a lot of other company's releasing stuff in America, so there's less of a need for Criterion to do that. And I'm sure there's a lot of weird rights issues that come up with some stuff that's been out of print.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know why people wouldn't just direct that movement towards Funi or some other company that would obviously be more interested

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flash sale might be today.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

Sale is live. Code is LOVE.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
My prediction was correct. :)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Did anyone figure out the clue from yesterday? The picture was an angry clock.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Picked up The Apu Trilogy and Brief Encounter. For some reason I had a $10 store credit, so the total came to $59.94 shipped. $14.98 per movie. Not bad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got His Girl Friday, because it's dope. I've also got the Before Trilogy coming from that amazon price fuckup.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Picked up Tokyo Drifter and Branded To Kill to celebrate Suzuki, and picked up Band Of Outsiders, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Hoop Dreams, Asphalt Jungle, and the Lone Wolf & Cub box set.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I bought For All Mankind, High and Low, Carnival of Souls, Autumn Sonata and The Squid and the Whale.

An eclectic mix, the only ones I've seen before are the first and the last.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
High and Low is where a lot of people begin to realize that Kurosawa could direct anything, not just samurai adventure films. It's probably one of the top ten crime dramas ever made.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I picked up Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Heart of a Dog, Cameraperson, The Gold Rush, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and the Letters from Fontainhas set. All blind buys; very excited to see them.

Of course, I'm also tempted to go back and add The Before Trilogy and the Larisa Shepitko set. I always wind up asking myself if I made the wrong decisions during these sales...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oneforthevine posted:

I picked up Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Heart of a Dog, Cameraperson, The Gold Rush, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and the Letters from Fontainhas set. All blind buys; very excited to see them.

Of course, I'm also tempted to go back and add The Before Trilogy and the Larisa Shepitko set. I always wind up asking myself if I made the wrong decisions during these sales...

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is great. The short films in the special features are cool too.

I got Naked, Naked Lunch, Branded to Kill, Dressed to Kill, and Summer Hours. I also got Traffic, Walkabout and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence on that recent Target sale. I have a problem.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Did anyone figure out the clue from yesterday? The picture was an angry clock.

I heard it was Mike Leigh's Meantime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The way Altman shot McCabe & Mrs. Miller was jarring at first, and took some getting used to, but by the halfway point I was really loving it. It feels like the kind of movie that's really going to click with me even more on rewatch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

High and Low is where a lot of people begin to realize that Kurosawa could direct anything, not just samurai adventure films. It's probably one of the top ten crime dramas ever made.

I'm really excited to watch it, I've only seen some of his samurai pictures.