Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Silver and nickle blocks don't mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I just discovered these monsoon free center compression fittings are silver plated, barf! That sucks because otherwise they were awesome.
I'm getting some replacement fittings and then I'll scrub down my nickle plates and do some rinses.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So am interaction between silver and nickel caused this?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

So am interaction between silver and nickel caused this?

My best guess, while replacing my waterblock due to the cracked top I took a good look at everything and it's definitely not microbial growth. I'm sure if I leave things as is they get a lot worse so I'll be replacing things pretty quick.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did you take any pictures of your residue?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Easiest to see here, but this was also in my tubes and resevoir, where it wiped off pretty easily. Just draining my coolant (1 month old utopia+DI) and putting in some sysprep+DI has reduced it. When I broke down my system the other day I pulled 4 of these 6 Monsoon fittings, I'm waiting for 2 more nickle fittings to come in and then I'll work on cleaning everything up.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 5, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

More radiators is never unnecessary.

Oh hello:

http://techreport.com/news/31444/alphacool-eiswand-combats-hot-parts-with-a-big-block-of-chill

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Full copper? Sounds expensive. Oh wow, it is.

Just do this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HfXy8A3O4

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I've been pondering a Desk-PC build, think it would be pretty fun to do. But they seem like a really niche product. I've literally only found:

Lian-Li's DK series, some availability on Newegg/Amazon. $900-$1400.
Some Italian company's "Hydra" ~$1000, only has a "reserve" button on their website.
Red Harbinger's Cross desk which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Everything else seems to be custom jobs. Maybe I should learn to, like, build a desk. How hard could that be? Even that Linus guy did it, right?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Well, he had a lot of help. Linus' practical skills are very, very hit & miss.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

Linus Drill Tips

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Deuce posted:

I've been pondering a Desk-PC build, think it would be pretty fun to do. But they seem like a really niche product. I've literally only found:

Lian-Li's DK series, some availability on Newegg/Amazon. $900-$1400.
Some Italian company's "Hydra" ~$1000, only has a "reserve" button on their website.
Red Harbinger's Cross desk which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Everything else seems to be custom jobs. Maybe I should learn to, like, build a desk. How hard could that be? Even that Linus guy did it, right?

Linus built two different desk PCs. One, a long time ago just mounting stuff under a store bought desk and one recently with the glass top. The first one was easy, cheap and had plenty of room for mess ups. The second one was the opposite.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

well why not posted:

I remember when he painted all the plastic parts on the motherboard blue, I thought how much simpler, easier, stronger and with better coverage if he'd used vinyl dye spray instead of car paint.

And the custom waterblock fiasco. Though it was kinda cool regardless.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

well why not posted:

Like the whole room water cooling project to try to reduce the temp of the room from all the PCs, so they use copper pipes lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Luke has some basic skills and it seems that new guy, Jake was hired expressly because he knows how to build poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Luke is a hell of a lot less cringey than Linus, which is always a plus

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

speak of the devil :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HO6Ys3PPIw

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Linus Drill Tips

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really don't get the point of that build, they have beast PCs in each editor's station. Why not just have them render stuff locally rather than transfer files to another machine. I don't know a lot about editing workflow, so I might be offbase here. Is it so the editors' machines aren't bogged down rendering and they can keep working? Why not just have an edit box in the editing room?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

well why not posted:

I really don't get the point of that build, they have beast PCs in each editor's station. Why not just have them render stuff locally rather than transfer files to another machine. I don't know a lot about editing workflow, so I might be offbase here. Is it so the editors' machines aren't bogged down rendering and they can keep working? Why not just have an edit box in the editing room?

Rendering takes time away from your machine. Its better to send it elsewhere.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
It's also worth noting that editing and encoding are entirely separate processes and both are very resource intensive (though editing can be helped with GPUs in most applications). If they are encoding locally they can't move on to the next project until it's done.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Anyone ever do a side-by-side comparison between PETG and acrylic tubing? I've heard acrylic is supposedly a little more clear-looking but I've never actually looked at the two together.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Deuce posted:

Anyone ever do a side-by-side comparison between PETG and acrylic tubing? I've heard acrylic is supposedly a little more clear-looking but I've never actually looked at the two together.

http://www.overclock.net/t/584302/ocn-water-cooling-club-and-picture-gallery/97760#post_25156759

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Thanks. Acrylic does look a little cleaner.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any advantage over a custom loop a la EKWB over an AIO? Apart from having evaporation under control? How long are the tubes supposed to last, and what's this about regular flushing?

Also, I'm curious, I wanted to get the watercooler whenever I'll switch case. I notice that the bigger radiators usually get put in the front of the case, on the intake. How hot is the radiator supposed to get when the CPU is under heavy load? Because of the blowing warm air into the case thing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any advantage over a custom loop a la EKWB over an AIO? Apart from having evaporation under control? How long are the tubes supposed to last, and what's this about regular flushing?

Also, I'm curious, I wanted to get the watercooler whenever I'll switch case. I notice that the bigger radiators usually get put in the front of the case, on the intake. How hot is the radiator supposed to get when the CPU is under heavy load? Because of the blowing warm air into the case thing.

Custom loop will have better performance and is able to be maintained.

All the components are better (and you pay for it). My aquacomputer d5 pump cost as much as some AIO's.

You also have much more expandability obviously.

Blowing warm air isn't really an issue especially if your gpu is also watercooled. Just make sure if you are using a radiator as intake you have exhaust fans going.

As far as flushing, i probably do mine once a year. Its really not hard if you build a drain into your loop.

Open drains, drain out as much water as you can, maybe tilt the case a little. Fill it back up with new distilled water, run it a few minutes. Drain, then fill up with your coolant of choice. If you want you could fill it up and drain it again but its not really that important.

I use EK clear coolant concentrate.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any advantage over a custom loop a la EKWB over an AIO? Apart from having evaporation under control?

The primary advantage of a custom loop over a good AIO is aesthetics and the fun of building it yourself. Seriously. (and some AIOs are getting more stylish these days) Custom loops are definitely an "enthusiast" type operation. You do it because you want to do it.

A custom loop will generally perform better due to the higher quality components available, but this improved cooling performance is very unlikely to translate into better hardware performance. Both cool well enough to hit whatever power/chip limits your CPU/GPU probably have. If you have a big case with good radiator space, you can also get a quieter setup because more rads = less fan speed = less noise. (the pump on cheaper AIOs sometimes causes some vibration noise as well)

But make sure it's a good AIO with as big a radiator you can fit. An overclocked CPU with a single 120mm thin radiator found on some of the cheap AIOs can lose out to air cooling.

quote:

How long are the tubes supposed to last, and what's this about regular flushing?
Well-maintained tubes can last for years. It's good to drain and flush your setup a couple times a year, this can help you monitor for corrosion or gunk buildup. Corrosion happens because you're essentially guaranteed to have multiple metals in your loop. Fortunately, most of the manufacturers have moved towards as much copper as possible in water-contacting parts. Copper + aluminum was the worst offender.

"Gunk" was, as far as I understand, primarily a problem caused by plasticizer leeching from soft tubing into the system, where it would clog up in the smaller channels of water blocks. A lot of people initially blamed this on the dyes, as the gunk would absorb the dye and match its color. Newer tubing should avoid this. Primochill's Advanced LRT is pretty popular. Hard tubing (usually PETG or acrylic) avoids this problem, but is a much, much bigger pain in the rear end to work with. (but looks great and once you've done rigid tubing, soft tubing seems like child's play!)

AIOs have the unfortunate issue of not really being maintainable, but I really have no idea how long they last.

quote:

Well, the CPU is being cooled by that radiator, so it will be fine. If your GPU is air-cooled it may run a little hotter, but not dramatically so. Nothing else in your system is going to care about a couple extra degrees of temperature. A lot of cases these days have spots for top-mounted radiators also, so you can use them as exhaust.

Or in a custom loop, do both!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My H50 was doing fine on my 2600k for five years before I went custom, just FYI. I don't know if I'd continue using it after five years though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ive seen lots of the h50 style coolers fail (specifically the one corsair used for h50, its also branded as alienware in dells)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
... That makes me much less likely to reuse it :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So specifically if anyone has one of these

The tall rear end pump is the giveaway of which one you have

it may say corsair, or asetek, or alienware, or have some other log on it.

Id get rid of it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Anyone with experience using Mayhem's pastel dyes + coloring in a rigid tube build? I've heard mixed reviews. I poke around for discussions on various forums but it usually comes back to some guy saying it went bad and some Mayhem rep saying "NO NO YOU DID IT WRONG."

Mayhems dyes cannot fail, they can only be failed? Is my impression of Mayhem's reps as Baghdad Bob accurate?

I want to use dye concentrates so I can drip in a bit at a time to go for the right color. I was pondering the pastels so I could try out an opaque fluid.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was under the impression no one ran colored liquid outside of showing off/pictures?

Wait for Don to chime in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I use mayhems red and it's fine. Not with pastel though. Jayztwocents has a video on dying pastel

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngul4M7kqzI&t=437s

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Moey posted:

I was under the impression no one ran colored liquid outside of showing off/pictures?

Wait for Don to chime in.

Well, erm, yes? "It looks cool" is responsible for like 90% of this thread.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The other 10% is "it's cool designing and putting together a loop."

Basically rule of cool no matter which way you spin it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So I just read that silver can react badly with nickel-covered blocks.

:ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Correct. Don't use silver. Nickel, copper, and brass are all good together.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Well, crap.

My GPU block seems to be going to hell. Questions:

1) Is it salvageable? If not, EKWB apparently has had a corrosion RMA process for this very issue, years ago. They must have thought the problem was solved, because they started selling nickel-covered blocks again, and no warning is found on the product page for use of silver killcoils.

2) Can I expect the corrosion in the copper parts as well? The CPU block is copper with an acetal top. The radiators are alphacool, so should only have copper in contact with water.

3) Should I use this as an excuse to purchase a 1080ti? You might argue that the GPU itself is totally fine, just the block needs to be replaced. My answer to that is shut up, who asked you?

Don Lapre posted:

Correct. Don't use silver. Nickel, copper, and brass are all good together.

Given that silver killcoils are incredibly common, you'd think EKWB would have some kind of warning about that. :mad:

Deuce fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The other 10% is "it's cool designing and putting together a loop."

Basically rule of cool no matter which way you spin it.

I used to be way into it, even after a bad start (shorting my mobo because of a leak), but over about a 4-year watercooling career, found it to just be tedious in the end. At one point I had three (!) GTX 295's watercooled in a serial loop with my CPU and two modded DIYINHK DDC's driving it all through 2x120x2 and 2x120x1 rads. Or at another point had QDCs on my GPU block, CPU block, and each rad, allowing me to effortlessly change out components (which I of course never loving did).

I've still got sitting in a box the old-style spaced PA120.2's from Thermochill which can't sell a drat since they don't adhere to standard fan spacing, and have been thinking about getting back into it with my MM H2G0 case specifically cut for those rads.

But every time I even think about it for maybe 5 minutes, I realize how much of a hassle it is, and how the relative gains versus a good air cooler are now slimmer than ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I got old and no longer care if my rig looks cool or benchmarks well, and it's certainly not worth the effort trade-off and high cost to me anymore.

But every now and then I take out the rads and peer at my case and consider it.