Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is great. The short films in the special features are cool too.

Good to hear. I've got the Pearls of the Czech New Wave Eclipse set and the first Second Run set, but I haven't watched any of Jireš’s stuff yet. I'm looking forward to it.

Basebf555 posted:

The way Altman shot McCabe & Mrs. Miller was jarring at first, and took some getting used to, but by the halfway point I was really loving it. It feels like the kind of movie that's really going to click with me even more on rewatch too.

I felt the same way about some parts of Heaven's Gate, which is what inspired me to pick up some more revisionist Westerns. Not Criterion, but I hear Johnny Guitar's should be high on my list?

oneforthevine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm rolling the dice a little bit on Before Trilogy. Nothing about the synopsis sounds like it'll be up my alley, but it seems like it's "the one" of this particular sale so I have to at least give it a try.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

I'm really excited to watch it, I've only seen some of his samurai pictures.

I think the best thing about it is(spoiled because you haven't seen it yet) that the entire first half of the movie is like a chamber play, but like the best one you've ever seen. So you're like "okay, this is not the Kurosawa I'm used to but its extremely entertaining so I'm cool with it", but then all of the sudden at around the halfway point things open up and the movie becomes a sprawling crime epic of the kind you know Kurosawa was born for.. The pacing is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cloks posted:

You're in for a great time, it's one of those movies I wish I could see again for the first time.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Nate RFB posted:

I'm rolling the dice a little bit on Before Trilogy. Nothing about the synopsis sounds like it'll be up my alley, but it seems like it's "the one" of this particular sale so I have to at least give it a try.

Just don't give up after the first one. Not everyone likes it, and frankly I don't care for it much. And yet, the 2nd one is maybe my favourite movie of all time, definitely top 5.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
This is gonna be the first time in five years I'll be missing the Flash Sale. :smith:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Are the Late Ray and Samuel Fuller eclipse sets worth it if I loved the Apu trilogy and the Naked Kiss?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

This is gonna be the first time in five years I'll be missing the Flash Sale. :smith:

They always happen when I'm low on money. Fortunately, I should have my taxes in time for the March B&N sale. :unsmith:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The way Altman shot McCabe & Mrs. Miller was jarring at first, and took some getting used to, but by the halfway point I was really loving it. It feels like the kind of movie that's really going to click with me even more on rewatch too.

It's the only Altman movie I've seen that I outright love, but granted I still haven't seen a lot of his classics.

Actually I remember really liking Gosford Park too but I haven't seen it since it came out.

oneforthevine posted:

I felt the same way about some parts of Heaven's Gate, which is what inspired me to pick up some more revisionist Westerns. Not Criterion, but I hear Johnny Guitar's should be high on my list?

I just saw Johnny Guitar for the first time recently and its like a top 10 Western for me now, maybe top 5. There's a great new blu ray that just came out.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the olive films release of johnny guitar is the first home video release of it to present it in the correct aspect ratio

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Cloks posted:

Are the Late Ray and Samuel Fuller eclipse sets worth it if I loved the Apu trilogy and the Naked Kiss?

the early fuller set is good. his direction is vigorous as ever but it's two westerns and a war movie, so not really the next logical place to go with him if you like the naked kiss. try shock corridor and pickup on south street first

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

They always happen when I'm low on money. Fortunately, I should have my taxes in time for the March B&N sale. :unsmith:

I'm pretty much out of the Flash Sale game because I'm coming out of grad school and I saved up all my loan money to buy film gear for my long term career goals. :smith:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cloks posted:

It's really good. Listen to the commentary too when you get a chance.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just got my tax return and have plenty of flash sale money but I've decided to not let myself buy anymore until I've watched everything I already have (been putting off Apu trilogy)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah I am always willing and able to sing the praises of High & Low. I didn't even know it was a Kurosawa when I bought it and yet it wound up being one of my favorites all time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

VoodooXT posted:

I'm pretty much out of the Flash Sale game because I'm coming out of grad school and I saved up all my loan money to buy film gear for my long term career goals. :smith:

Hopefully you film something and get noticed so that you can clean our their closet like Barry Jenkins.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Filled in some gaps in my Japanese collection with:
The Naked Island
The Sword of Doom
The Hidden Fortress
The Complete Lady Snowblood

They also sent a $50 gift certificate due to a loyalty program I had no idea about. Awesome!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lease and insure your film gear then rent it out to your peers.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hopefully you film something and get noticed so that you can clean our their closet like Barry Jenkins.

That's the dream. :unsmith:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

VoodooXT posted:

Making films > watching films. So you're good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm $14 away from the $50 gift cert, but free shipping only if you spend $50 or more. Dekalog is $49.99. :argh:

Got Dekalog and Foreign Correspondent.

Probably will use my $50 cert later in the year for Being There, Blow-Up, Ghost World, and Othello.

Radio Spiricom posted:

the olive films release of johnny guitar is the first home video release of it to present it in the correct aspect ratio

Olive Films started putting out "Signature Editions" and they're pretty much Criterions with different branding. Mostly from the Republic library licensed from Paramount, but the Blus of Johnny Guitar, The Quiet Man, and High Noon are all 4K restorations with loaded extras. Macbeth is 2K and has both cuts of the film. I bet they'll do Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Rio Grande next.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is great. The short films in the special features are cool too.

I wavered for a few hours if I should get this and decided not to (opted for House, Paris, Texas and Dr. Strangelove). But when I woke up earlier, I realized that it's extremely hard to find used so I'm going to get it later. Just need to think of a title or two to avail of the free shipping.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Received my Before Trilogy today ($39.99 from the Amazon pricing error :smug:). Such a gorgeous set.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Received my Before Trilogy today ($39.99 from the Amazon pricing error :smug:). Such a gorgeous set.

Thanks for reminding me of that, apparently I put in the wrong credit card info so I'll be getting mine Friday.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Short video on the Mildred Pierce restoration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdRfuQ8Y8rU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It is weird as hell to see Adam Sandler on a Criterion cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

It is weird as hell to see Adam Sandler on a Criterion cover.

Sandler is a talented actor, but opts to make bad movies. PTA could probably get a great performance out of Tommy Wiseau.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Goon-sourced criterions finally arrived!

Persona is the only blind buy for me. Naked is my favorite film from the collection by far while I've seen Eraserhead a long time ago and felt like I needed a physical copy (same with Naked).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just watched His Girl Friday. Good loving god that dialogue just sings. I was in awe the entire time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not sure where else to post about having just seen The Leopard. Anyone else see this movie for the first time recently? It really is fantastic, just one of the best looking films I've ever seen from top to bottom. Its about 3 hours long, so I recommend cooking Italian food on a lazy Sunday while you watch it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure where else to post about having just seen The Leopard. Anyone else see this movie for the first time recently? It really is fantastic, just one of the best looking films I've ever seen from top to bottom. Its about 3 hours long, so I recommend cooking Italian food on a lazy Sunday while you watch it.

That movie just didn't click with me, although I can't deny how beautiful it is to look at. I've since sold it, actually.

Maybe I should've tried cooking while watching it, giving myself something to do while it was on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

friendo55 posted:

That movie just didn't click with me, although I can't deny how beautiful it is to look at. I've since sold it, actually.

Yea, I can see where it wouldn't for some people. I'm a very visual person though, I love to just let a movie like The Leopard wash over me. Every single shot there was something to draw my eye.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I saw the Leopard for the first time about ten years ago and it did absolutely nothing for me. But I remember not being in the right mood to watch a 3 hour Italian period drama, so my mind was wandering and I wasn't taking much care in following the story. Needless to say it's in desperate need of a rewatch for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The length is definitely the big hurdle, I think the movie would probably work if it were given the Bergman treatment and divided into three parts or something. It worked really well for me on a day when I had nothing to do and I was just going back and forth from the t.v. to the kitchen to stir my pot of tomato sauce. Movies are like that though, with a lot of them the conditions have to be right.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Basebf555 posted:

To me, that extended scene of the ball at the end resembled a more primitive version of the restaurant scene in Play Time.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I recently picked up The American Friend and was also really impressed with the cinematography. Wenders says in the supplements that they went for an Edward Hopper style which I feel like I've heard so many times before but I think they nailed it here. Wings of Desire is my only other exposure to Wim Wenders and it's very different so I should really check out more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cacator posted:

I recently picked up The American Friend and was also really impressed with the cinematography. Wenders says in the supplements that they went for an Edward Hopper style which I feel like I've heard so many times before but I think they nailed it here. Wings of Desire is my only other exposure to Wim Wenders and it's very different so I should really check out more.

The American Friend is amazing. I keep meaning to watch the rest of the Road Trilogy, Alice in the Cities was very good as well.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Basebf555 posted:

Been a big fan of The Leopard since I first saw it about a decade ago; I really need to revisit it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Criterion got Straw Dogs back and will also be releasing Lost in America.

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=576170#p576170

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Stalker art on the left. Sweet.