Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

One piece has had that sort of thing for over a decade though, if not more extreme.
Most of One Piece's really horrible stuff is abstracted through the setting and being done off screen or otherwise softened. There's a lot of dark stuff in One Piece but Oda seems to go out of his way to avoid implying the really insanely ugly, gross poo poo that happens in real life to slaves for example happens in OP.

A human traffiking thing in MHA kinda instantly feels a bit darker than say One Piece because even if everyone is a mutie, MHA's society and world are meant to really look a lot like ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
OP's pulled back the curtain on its world's evils more and more since they arrived in the New World. The White Lead flashback was god damned horrific.

I mean, yeah, you're not going to get to the kind of depravity you see in Berserk or anything, but that's probably for the best.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If I had to guess the little girl escaped from a hospital or something rather than some illegal form of imprisonment. Overhaul being a germophobe obsessed with diseases/curing them, etc.

Maybe a relative or the kid of an associate or something.

Is it clarified anywhere that Overhaul is actually wanted by the police? I mean, as in arrest-on-sight? The Yakuza are like any other organized crime groups where they operate in the open under legal pretenses.

It'd be interesting if Midoriya got a taste of the law protecting criminals here. The girl isn't legally imprisoned, Overhaul while suspected by Nighteye/the Police of being Yakuza is still a citizen in good standing, and Midoriya has to basically hand a terrified child back to a guy he knows is a criminal in league with his rogue's gallery.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 24, 2017

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bet the girl is, like, his sister.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/Enecoobot/status/814661463449227264

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Fabricated posted:

All Might's insistence on being a symbol and that there needs to be a symbol is the reason everything is so hosed up anyway. All Might's idea was bad.

A symbol/leader is nice during times of extreme strife but at some point for society to become stable the symbol/leader needs to step aside and everyone needs to step up and the systems in place need to be good.

You cannot count on just having this unbroken line of good successors, or living forever or whatever.

Get's me thinking that the series ends with Deku and Bakugo founding an ersatz Justice League

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This is cute, good, and I want more.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Skitty cant learn acid tho

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is cute, good, and I want more.

https://twitter.com/Enecoobot/status/811738043300384768

https://twitter.com/Enecoobot/status/774806107634147328

https://twitter.com/Enecoobot/status/774428739098841089

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fabricated posted:

If I had to guess the little girl escaped from a hospital or something rather than some illegal form of imprisonment. Overhaul being a germophobe obsessed with diseases/curing them, etc.

Maybe a relative or the kid of an associate or something.

Is it clarified anywhere that Overhaul is actually wanted by the police? I mean, as in arrest-on-sight? The Yakuza are like any other organized crime groups where they operate in the open under legal pretenses.

It'd be interesting if Midoriya got a taste of the law protecting criminals here. The girl isn't legally imprisoned, Overhaul while suspected by Nighteye/the Police of being Yakuza is still a citizen in good standing, and Midoriya has to basically hand a terrified child back to a guy he knows is a criminal in league with his rogue's gallery.

I'm leaning towards her being tied to the Class B transfer student. Plague Doctor made a big deal about how the Villain's Alliance are a bunch of amateurs, and they've got a mole in the #2 school for heroics. Makes sense if he's got someone on the inside at UA. The lurking traitor rears it's horns.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

It was stated in this chapter that Overhaul was not wanted. He has not actually done anything criminal that the police are aware of and they don't have any evidence to arrest him.

I doubt he is related to the girl. But I have a feeling Overhaul covers his tracks fairly well. Would not be shocked if he has papers stating he is the girl's legal guardian and such.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Enecoo is cool as heck cause not only is he a really good artist but he subverts everything by being a jacked Muslim Pashtun drawing cute things.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

The lurking traitor rears it's horns.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPneR3KFK8

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Eej posted:

Enecoo is cool as heck cause not only is he a really good artist but he subverts everything by being a jacked Muslim Pashtun drawing cute things.

like half the people who draw aggressively cute things are like that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have no idea who the girl is but given the chapter name is "Boy Meets" I'm going to guess she'll be sticking around for a while

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I have no idea who the girl is but given the chapter name is "Boy Meets" I'm going to guess she'll be sticking around for a while

Topanga

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kild posted:

Topanga

:golfclap:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blockhouse posted:

Kild posted:

Topanga

I don't know if I should clap or boo this post.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

I don't know if I should clap or boo this post.

"Both" is the correct answer.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tournament Arc: The Animation.

It's a shame they couldn't push the episode order big enough to include Stain (that would have been a GREAT season ender) but what can you do.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Fowl posted:

Tournament Arc: The Animation.

It's a shame they couldn't push the episode order big enough to include Stain (that would have been a GREAT season ender) but what can you do.
Has there even been an announcement of how many episodes this season is?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

Has there even been an announcement of how many episodes this season is?

I just feel like if it was going to reach Stain, there would have been a tease at the end of the trailer. He's a popular villain and he casts a long shadow over the series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Fowl posted:

I just feel like if it was going to reach Stain, there would have been a tease at the end of the trailer. He's a popular villain and he casts a long shadow over the series.
The thing that confuses me is that in the promo art Midoriya has his Beta Costume.

He doesn't even reveal that until he's at Gran Torino's place; he only notices they altered it then.

So uh, who knows.

I'm leaning towards this being another 12-13 episode season because I could've sworn we'd see some key art, VA announcements, and so on for Gran Torino and Stain. Stain may get some key art or something like that because he can't NOT appear in the tournament arc- he paralyzes Ingenium during it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 28, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's hard for me to believe that the entirety of season two will only cover of the sports festival, but the number of chapters it would cover roughly matches season one--- 23 compared to season one's 21 chapters covered.

That means that season three will likely be the mentor/Stain arc, with the season finale being the skills test versus the teachers. That would cover 25 chapters.

And the presumptive season 4 would be everything from the outdoors training arc to All for One--- it'd be something of a self-contained story about Bakugo's kidnapping and the efforts to retrieve him. 28 chapters.

It's how you go about pacing things if you don't want to rush too much.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

The thing that confuses me is that in the promo art Midoriya has his Beta Costume.

He doesn't even reveal that until he's at Gran Torino's place; he only notices they altered it then.

So uh, who knows.

I'm leaning towards this being another 12-13 episode season because I could've sworn we'd see some key art, VA announcements, and so on for Gran Torino and Stain. Stain may get some key art or something like that because he can't NOT appear in the tournament arc- he paralyzes Ingenium during it.
I wouldn't be shocked if they dipped a bit into the mentorship arc at the end of season 2, mostly to set up season 3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JT Jag posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they dipped a bit into the mentorship arc at the end of season 2, mostly to set up season 3.
Doing longer seasons from here on out makes more sense to me in terms of having solid hooks for continuing seasons and balancing the less serious/fun arcs with the serious arcs.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Thing is, at the end of the last episode of season one, there actually was a brief tease for Stain. It'd be funny (in a "Next: Sabretooth!" kind of way) if they just used the same bit of animation to tease him again after season two.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm guessing it'll be a "the finale of the sports ceremony is episode 11/12 and in the final episode everyone goes to meet their mentors, but we don't get too far into the arc, it's basically a tease" sort of thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mirage posted:

Thing is, at the end of the last episode of season one, there actually was a brief tease for Stain. It'd be funny (in a "Next: Sabretooth!" kind of way) if they just used the same bit of animation to tease him again after season two.

I can't wait for the rocket raccoon arc of my hero academia

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm not a fan of the series seemingly only covering the sports festival. The first season was badly deflated by its slow pacing and sports festival only would be a similar chapter:episode ratio.

With one 13-episode series per year they aren't threatening to run out of material at a brisker pace.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all the very first piece of art for s2 had stain on it why are we acting like it's a mystery where this is going to end at

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

y'all the very first piece of art for s2 had stain on it why are we acting like it's a mystery where this is going to end at

we'll have a couple of episodes about the festival, then jump right into a stain filler arc

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I don't remember seeing that art before but you're right. That's a good sign. The worry has come from how festival-focused the trailers so far have been, but if they have Stain on the posters it's probably just because the work they have to draw from is all episodes in the first half.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm guessing s2 is going to be the sports festival with the next few chapters afterward as a closer and setup for s3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Peel posted:

I don't remember seeing that art before but you're right. That's a good sign. The worry has come from how festival-focused the trailers so far have been, but if they have Stain on the posters it's probably just because the work they have to draw from is all episodes in the first half.
The only thing that gives me any hope of them doing something sensible like doing both arcs is the fact they did kinda wait until the very last second to unveil Shigaraki. I don't even think we got key art for the guy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Peel posted:

yeah the trailers have likely been festival focused because that's the only poo poo they have animated

The MHA S1 trailers were all like the first three episodes, if you'll recall

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blockhouse posted:

yeah the trailers have likely been festival focused because that's the only poo poo they have animated

The MHA S1 trailers were all like the first three episodes, if you'll recall

Also maybe they just don't want to reveal all the coolest stuff in the trailers so fans who don't read the manga will be in for a huge surprise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
No chapter this week.

Apparently the absence is unannounced which is unusual, there's speculation it's either due to work on the anime or just simple overwork as Horikoshi doesn't take many absences from drawing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

No chapter this week.

Apparently the absence is unannounced which is unusual, there's speculation it's either due to work on the anime or just simple overwork as Horikoshi doesn't take many absences from drawing this.

Aww.