Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How would you fix the problem(s) you see in draft in its current form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Clearly allowing users to take the cards they draft is causing a negative effect on their drafting experience. The only answer is to implement rare redrafting so as to allow for the optimal deck building adventure.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If nothing else, if I bomb a draft it'll take me days to build up another 5000 gold.

Q: if an attacking unit has both deadly and quickdraw, can anything defend against it and kill it, or must it be defused via spells/abilities?

delfin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 28, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The hearthstone school of design - change the best draft system by far ever in a digital card game for muh new player experience

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

delfin posted:

If nothing else, if I bomb a draft it'll take me days to build up another 5000 gold.

Q: if an attacking unit has both deadly and quickdraw, can anything defend against it and kill it, or must it be defused via spells/abilities?

You could theoretically block it with more minions than it has attack. For example a 1/2 deadly quick draw could be killed by 2x 2/1 blockers. This probably isn't cost effective in most cases.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I honestly did not realize that saying the mode that's optimal for new players to play early on should be fairer for new players would receive this much pushback but here ya go
I'm not looking to dump on you or whatever but drat duder I fail to see the problem here

Rare drafting is a choice you make. Sure you'll want to have all the good cards in the early stages of your account so you'll do it but it also quickly loses its appeal after doing it a couple of times. At least it was like that for me. Winning draft games was just more fun to me so I stopped taking every card I did not have and only stuck to grabbing legends and uncommon/rare cards that I knew were playable. Or I tried to only pick up some cards for a specific deck that I was building like Rakano Plate when I started playing the game. Doing half greedy drafts is totally okay. If you're smart about your picks from the common piles in each pack you'll end up with a deck that can still get a few wins on top of your new constructed cards. And gently caress if you just wanna rare draft then go hog wild and just retire your drafts and own up to the fact that you spent 5k to get better cards than then packs from the store would have gotten you

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

Also something invulnerable to damage. Obviously those aren't easy finds, but it's good to remember that if they can't deal the 1 damage they can't deadly you (more likely to screw you over than the opponent until you get the good stuff).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you get for getting to masters again? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth grinding out from diamond 2.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DrManiac posted:

So what do you get for getting to masters again? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth grinding out from diamond 2.

I'm not at my computer but I think you can see the rewards by hovering over the rank from your profile page.

They upped the rewards from last month and I think Master is now a pack and a premium legendary.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

3 packs and a premium legend iirc

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

delfin posted:

An important interaction to know is that deadly + quickdraw units will basically just deal 1 damage to every unit before they exhaust their damage and can start being damaged. So, Ashara is a real dick to deal with because you literally have to block with 6 units that will die (if they're not immune to damage) and then the 7th units and beyond have to add up to 3 attack to kill her.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm not at my computer but I think you can see the rewards by hovering over the rank from your profile page.

They upped the rewards from last month and I think Master is now a pack and a premium legendary.

Master is 3 packs and a premium legendary

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I honestly did not realize that saying the mode that's optimal for new players to play early on should be fairer for new players would receive this much pushback but here ya go

You are overestimating the impact rare drafting has on your Draft performance. Also you are then playing low ranked players who are probably rare drafting as well anyway.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah the way the power curve by rarity is in Eternal, rare drafting is very often optimal early on and only bad once you start locking in factions and the cards become unplayable. But you're also pretty much always drafting at least 18 cards that you aren't going to play anyway, because you draft 48 but at most can put 30 non-power cards in the deck. So one bad pick isn't going to sink the draft.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You'll only be playing people who aren't rare drafting if they're either

a) new as well
or
b) really god damned terrible

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's actually the fairest of all limited formats for newer players of digital ccgs because you get to keep what you draft, meaning you can actually steer your collection towards something workable wayyyyy faster than the other ccgs where you have to bust packs and hope. Especially since several budget lists consist mostly of also-excellent limited cards.

Also, forge is optimal for really beginning players, not draf.t Draft is for when forge gets too hard.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

eSporks posted:

I'm new as well, the card grind isn't really that bad really. I came across [url="https://www.reddit.com/r/EternalCardGame/comments/5er065/crash_course_budget_brews/"[/url]these budget lists[/url] and tried a few out to get a feel for what I what I wanted to build toward. I also found budget Feln Control to work very well at low ranks. The important removal cards are all cheap, then you can just jam whatever finishers you have and slowly upgrade it from there.

Keep in mind what you are trying to build while drafting or doing arena. You don't won't to throw a whole run by making a bad pick, but you can try to nudge your picks in the direction of cards you want for constructed. Or just take a card you want if there isn't another good pick.

I've found the grind to be much less than hearthstone.

In a similar vein I found the following article and I was wondering if I could get some comments on the new player advice located in it?

http://www.numotgaming.com/getting-started-in-eternal-combrei-edition/

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

Also, forge is optimal for really beginning players, not draf.t Draft is for when forge gets too hard.
:haw:

Too easy, of course. And yeah that's a good point, Forge is a decent relatively hassle-free way of starting to craft your collection.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This post makes such little sense I thought you were talking about Ranked and had to go read your post history. Draft is in no way hostile toward the new player, being able to rare draft makes it the opposite.

Sorry for the humble brag here, but I just started playing. I've done less than 7 drafts and I have rare drafted* every single one of them. I have 7/x'ed twice, and only one finish less than 3/x. Might I suggest that you git gud?

*By rare draft I mean I have always first picked a legendary over anything else and I have always first picked a rare I want for constructed over anything else. I don't pick rares just for the purposes of dust.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Holy moly I just drafted 11 rares.

Also, pretty new player here - is there any benefit to hitting I/II/III within a Rank or are those just floors?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Been playing some Xenan Killer, which is fun but really shows how nuts the silence effects in this game are. Valkyrie Enforcer is in every single green deck and Steward of the Past shuts down entire archetypes on a really solid body. It's really over the top, especially when most of the top decks are either really aggressive ones that go kinda wide and get immediate value, Armory decks that don't get affected by silence, or ones that play the cards with the biggest numbers. Dunno why they're so worried about Haunting Scream or whatever.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I try to keep a suffocate or annihilate in store if I see the opponent has shadow influence. But yeah, I don't really get why the steward is so hefty.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Been playing some Xenan Killer, which is fun but really shows how nuts the silence effects in this game are. Valkyrie Enforcer is in every single green deck and Steward of the Past shuts down entire archetypes on a really solid body. It's really over the top, especially when most of the top decks are either really aggressive ones that go kinda wide and get immediate value, Armory decks that don't get affected by silence, or ones that play the cards with the biggest numbers. Dunno why they're so worried about Haunting Scream or whatever.

I'm not really a fan of silence in this game since it's such a huge fun police and there are so many and efficient ways to silence your guys.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hand Row posted:

Everyone gets Idol of Destran. Or New Tomorrow. Trying to come up with the worst legendary.

DING DING DING

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

Holy moly I just drafted 11 rares.

Also, pretty new player here - is there any benefit to hitting I/II/III within a Rank or are those just floors?

No, there's no benefit to getting a higher division within bronze/gold/silver/diamond. The next benefit level starts at the next real level.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
If you want your end of season rewards you might need to play a game first, once I did mine updated. Weird that draft dumps you back to silver from masters and ranked drops you in gold 3, is that to do with MMR or is it because drafts rank up is "easier"?

Arghonautz
Oct 31, 2011
After hitting high 90's in diamond draft multiple times over the last week, had a couple of bad runs that dropped me right back down again. Decided to give it a final burst before season end, got a ridiculous elysian draft that went 7-0 and i was once again close to master. Drafted a good looking aggro stonescar deck that i was sure would put me over the line. 3 games in a row i got offered 0 mana on the draw and mulliganed into 2 mana, then got nothing more for 5 turns, went 0-3 and was feeling pretty tilted! Shook it off and did another draft, rakano this time, got to 3-2 and was close to giving up then managed to push all the way through to 7-2 and was once again almost there. Yet another draft, a janky feln deck that could either win or lose spectacularly depending on the draw. First game lived the dream, gorgon swiftblade into blackguard sidearm that they had no answer to, and a gorgon fanatic haunting scream combo that gave me the gas to run over the top of them. Finally hit masters about an hour before season end!

Ended up rank 143, pretty happy with that, and got a shiny Sandstorm Titan for the collection.

Arghonautz fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 1, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stangg posted:

If you want your end of season rewards you might need to play a game first, once I did mine updated. Weird that draft dumps you back to silver from masters and ranked drops you in gold 3, is that to do with MMR or is it because drafts rank up is "easier"?

It's probably because draft doesn't have the i ii iii ranks, and also because the admission fee prevents most players from playing it as frequently/perpetually as ranked.

Managed get masters ranked but took most of the month doing it and only got gold in draft after a bunch of 2-3 runs in the past couple days. I'll have to manage my time better (also blowing 20k on the campaign didn't help).

At least got a premium Marshal Ironthorn, which I'll smash into dust if I ever get a playset of normal ones because gently caress premium cards.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting destroyed a lot in Ranked, but I'm glad it's not to YARWD* at the moment. Get to see some interesting stuff.

*Yet Another Rakano Warcry Deck

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Meta's pretty good, you've got rakano, some Jito stuff, the Praxis/Stonescar, big and vodakan Combrei, a bunch of armory stuff, a bit of nictoraxian control and 2 different Feln decks. Aside from elysian decks struggling it's a pretty good meta, at least coming from hearthstone.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Currently my main deck is a weirdo Feln deck that's supposed to rely on Umbren Reapers and mirroring them and rezzing them, but ends up relying more on my 2 Impending Dooms from my experience. I also have a mono fire deck based on doing a lot of direct damage to the enemy player that at least last season did surprisingly well.

Right now though I'm using a budget Combrei deck for a quest.

e: I should probably do the Jekk's Bounty campaign finally, no idea why I'm postponing it... It's worth spending :10bux: right?

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 1, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure. I've only seen people use most of the cards in it but I can't think of anything being super necessary.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Premium black sky harbinger :getin:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Question: What's the point of the sporefolk? Are there reliable instances where you would want to discard the top 5 cards of your deck?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Question: What's the point of the sporefolk? Are there reliable instances where you would want to discard the top 5 cards of your deck?

Recursion decks. But he sucks, yes.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Meta's pretty good, you've got rakano, some Jito stuff, the Praxis/Stonescar, big and vodakan Combrei, a bunch of armory stuff, a bit of nictoraxian control and 2 different Feln decks. Aside from elysian decks struggling it's a pretty good meta, at least coming from hearthstone.

And even then Shimmerpack can be an effective Elysian deck.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Didn't even realize there was a season reset right now.
Well, got a foil feln cauldron, at least I can dust that without feeling any guilt. Also a foil rise & charchain flail which I might use plus an ijin, three oathbooks and two black iron manacles from my packs. Whee, more dust.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Does discarding to the Void trigger Xenan Cultist? Because if it does, Sporefolk has a use. (I suspect from the wording that it does not.)

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I turned my foil Ijin into a Statuary Maiden and then opened a Vodakan in draft (pack 4 when I was already locked in to feln booo)

I feel like rushing back to masters with an aggro deck, or at least to mid diamond is really strong. Maybe it's just that this rakano jito deck is disgusting. Loses Shadowlands guide and Rapid Shot but picks up Finest Hour and Fearless Nomad

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's mostly what was already said but one interesting/useful interaction is it can bump up an Oblivion Spike by 5 attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shabadu posted:

I turned my foil Ijin into a Statuary Maiden and then opened a Vodakan in draft (pack 4 when I was already locked in to feln booo)

I feel like rushing back to masters with an aggro deck, or at least to mid diamond is really strong. Maybe it's just that this rakano jito deck is disgusting. Loses Shadowlands guide and Rapid Shot but picks up Finest Hour and Fearless Nomad

I kind of really don't like the Rakano Jito deck (yet). The reason Stonescar Jito works (for me) is the 7 rally effects from 4 actual Rally and 3 Queens, along with the recursion from a singleton Dark Return and Shadowlands Guide. It just provides for so much resiliency and reach. The Queens providing Quickdraw is also really important because you are frequently offering horrible chumps on their side or they face lethal if they don't block. Combine this with something like Argenport Instigator on your side (or theirs!) and sometimes even their blocks get them ever closer to lethal. Rallys are how you win games and losing 3 of them with no Queen just seems silly.

The Raquito deck is just kind of more balls-out aggro and draw dependent, which I don't like when Stonescar Jito is already quite draw dependent in the first place. Stonescar either goes wide enough to allow Rally effects to win the game or has some ability to get some cards back on the field with recursion that Raquito doesn't. Finest Hour + Fearless Nomad is great, sure, but Rapid Shot is absurd for clearing out something like a Titan or getting 4 extra damage through if a block isn't made and you are counting to 25.

Rapid Shot is probably the most OP (and close to busted) aggressive card in the game, and losing it is bad news when you need to clear blockers to keep getting additional damage through in future turns. Sure, Finest Hour might be able to protect a unit from a Torch, but I don't think that's how I want to be designing my face decks.

I could be totally wrong, and my sample size with Raquito is quite small. Just on paper and in limited practice I think it just stalls out and doesn't have many ways to recover.