Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

Good, that means you're still sane for the time being

I don't know how anybody can look at America right now and feel absolutely no crushing depression at all. Horror and despair are really the most logical reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't know how anybody can look at America right now and feel absolutely no crushing depression at all. Horror and despair are really the most logical reactions.

It's only depressing if you don't have money. Have you considered crime?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't you hear? They are going to get the bad guys/hombres

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's payday, fellas.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

It's a government subsidized scheme to do all those things plus local authorities get one-time upfront development fees from huge subdivisions

it's also helpful to keep in mind the world population has gone up by like 50% in 30 years (~5 to ~7.5 billion), with a country like the USA increasing by roughly that amount in the same period, and that the populations of smaller cities traditionally either stay ~the same or actively shrink in many cases

sprawl is partly the result of all these new people choosing a certain kind of residence, there being more limited opportunities for the development of high density residences in cities that are already very developed and there being limited reasons for constructing high density residences at the edges of cities where there's not much else to court buyers, i'm sure we aren't handling things in the most efficient way but it's hard to call the situation pure malice either imuo

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
I live in rural Texas where there's a huge influx of development going on, and I honestly wouldn't mind, but they don't seem to have any interest in interacting with the community that they are latching on to. Like we have lots of cute restaurants and an okay grocer, but you went and built a walmart and a strip mall tucked waaaay the gently caress inside that maze of homes. Plus all the walls they build are hideous.

Smoking is still cool as hell when you're real young, but as soon as you hit 25 that stock plummets hard and now your choices are expensive nicotine gum or vaping, and both of those are terrible looks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish there were more cops. I never see them anywhere.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

There's no such thing as good breakfast food.

At best it's a poo poo version of lunch food.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Fashionable Jorts posted:

A good omelette or eggs benedict is good any time of the day. It's much better than generic lunch sandwich with potato chips.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Agreed. Breakfast food sucks.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Walking up hungry is a legitimately beautiful feeling i rarely experience.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coffee and a headache pill.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I feel like the people who hate breakfast are the ones who get up well beyond normal people breakfast time and just don't "get" it.

If you're just heading out for your day at 11am yeah it's kind of stupid to go get some eggs because all the other options are open too.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

I agree also, with the exception of eggs benedict. That poo poo is the bomb.

/\/\/\ Meh. I just don't really like eggs very much (unless smothered in hollandaise), and I also just don't really like other typical North American breakfast foods like pancakes/waffles/bacon/sausages, especially first thing in the morning. Eggs benedict are more of a brunch item imho.

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Mar 1, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who the gently caress has oatmeal for lunch :confused:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Re: autonomous cars--they are absolutely not decades off. The people who act like they will have completely replaced standard cars within five years are out of their minds, but autonomous cars are already in use and they are not going away.

My unpopular opinion is that they are an ethical nightmare. I hope the software engineers working on them are treating them with the gravity they deserve but I know that isn't happening. Not sure how you even begin to sort out what a tangled mess of issues they represent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who the gently caress has oatmeal for lunch :confused:

I do sometimes. Then again I also very much enjoy oatmeal and fruit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I feel like the people who hate breakfast are the ones who get up well beyond normal people breakfast time and just don't "get" it.

If you're just heading out for your day at 11am yeah it's kind of stupid to go get some eggs because all the other options are open too.

I get up around 6:30, I just don't really feel hungry until around 10:00 and then I usually put it off until lunch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Red Dead Redemption is not a good game.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tony Bologna posted:

Smoking is still cool as hell when you're real young, but as soon as you hit 25 that stock plummets hard and now your choices are expensive nicotine gum or vaping, and both of those are terrible looks.

Smoking while drinking at a bar is ageless though and is pretty much the only time I'll bum a cig

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
E; Edit ain't quote goddamnit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

Re: autonomous cars--they are absolutely not decades off. The people who act like they will have completely replaced standard cars within five years are out of their minds, but autonomous cars are already in use and they are not going away.

My unpopular opinion is that they are an ethical nightmare. I hope the software engineers working on them are treating them with the gravity they deserve but I know that isn't happening. Not sure how you even begin to sort out what a tangled mess of issues they represent.

To be fair that's pretty much every new technological or chemistry achievement in history. You dive in headfirst and then later you realize putting radium on your gums isn't great as a pain reliever

Elon Musk is very much an old school "let's throw advanced technology at this problem and ignore the negatives" innovator in a field of scientists who actually are cautious and not ideologically obsessed. He's basically the lead scientist from jurassic park but when it comes to A.I. and robots and letting billionaires buy their way into becoming spacemen. Shits gonna go bad for him eventually and he's probably gonna get burned

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Red Dead Redemption is not a good game.

Oh it's a good game, I had fun with it and I played it right to the end which I can't say for the majority of my games collection. It is not an amazing game though and I just don't get the massive fandom that follows it or the hype surrounding its sequel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

Oh it's a good game, I had fun with it and I played it right to the end which I can't say for the majority of my games collection. It is not an amazing game though and I just don't get the massive fandom that follows it or the hype surrounding its sequel.

I loved it because it was the game I had been waiting for since I was a kid. That and Witcher 3 are my two favorite games of all times. One is bumbling around in the Old West and the other is bumbling around in a monster infested fantasy world. The last one I need is an amazing open world game about the age of sail (AC: Black Flag is close, but being an Assassin's Creed game still finds a way to suck). Like a moderned up version of Uncharted Waters: New Horizons. Then I could just play those 3 games for the rest of my life.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

Elon Musk is very much an old school "let's throw advanced technology at this problem and ignore the negatives" innovator in a field of scientists who actually are cautious and not ideologically obsessed. He's basically the lead scientist from jurassic park but when it comes to A.I. and robots and letting billionaires buy their way into becoming spacemen. Shits gonna go bad for him eventually and he's probably gonna get burned

That's fine, but I worry he's going to take the rest of us with him. The "innovate now and think about the consequences later" is not workable nowadays when we're innovating on grander scales: relatively untested computer systems driving our cars, etc. It's not that I'm against the technology. I just think that we need to think about the consequences of what we're doing now, before we're so invested in technological changes that it'll be too late to correct our course.

That being said, I appreciate the fact that people on this board are a lot more reasonable on this issue than certain other places online, where anything less than adoring admiration for autonomous cars is practically heresy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If all you want is to ride around the west and shoot people, then RDR is OK. the horse mechanics aren't great, the number of times I was twisted around in my saddle to shoot at people, then suddenly realized that my retarded horse had stopped moving because he had come to a six inch tall rock. But that's balanced out somewhat by how solid the gunplay mechanics are.

But the story and characters and moral system are all garbage. You're supposed to be on this quest to kill your old gang members for the US government, but 15 minutes in you are murdering 20 innocent people to protect a snake oil salesmen. And that doesn't count as dishonorable. At least that part of the story has some fun characters, once you get to Mexico literally every character is an unrepentant, unlikable rear end in a top hat. Luckily, once you finish all of a character's missions, they loving vanish into the ether, never to be seen again. And why on earth do they put all the stuff with Marston's family at the end? I liked that part, it actually made me like Marston and care about him trying to get his family back. But it was at the end! I spent the entire game not giving a poo poo about him or his family, who I was kind of assuming would turn out to be dead or imaginary or something.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'know what's a great way to deliver exposition and character development? Three minute long horse ride conversations. Those are terrific. Just have characters explain their motivations to each other on horseback. That's storytelling.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

WampaLord posted:

People are interested in Leah Remini because she's got an extremely rare thing, honest information about the inner workings of Scientology. That's something that very few people are willing to discuss to the public.

I do agree that former racists shouldn't be getting articles written about them and poo poo like that, but her situation is different.

I'm interested in Megan Phelps-Roper because she was pretty high level in the Westboro Baptist Church, just like her mother. What I find interesting is how she changed her mind, because she was one of the most die-hard members, often holding the most creepy deplorable signs and smiling. All she did was have civil conversations with a Jewish guy and that was it. She started questioning everything. If someone could change her mind, all of these racist could probably be changed. Some are harder to get to than others of course. Megan was always willing to talk to everybody on Twitter.

I don't believe AA is for everyone. It doesn't work for everyone, and in some ways can be terrible. And if someone doesn't want to do it, it doesn't mean they won't automatically fail and go back out. They just need a different option, except AA is the go-to solution that even the judicial system pushes.

I think if you get a good Sponsor it's OK but it's so easy to be a bad one. A Sponsor who thinks they know everything and act like a therapist, even though they have no training. I don't begrudge those who need one and who are successful with one. I'm just saying be careful at those who rush to try and Sponsor you, like they're desperate to be someone's Sponsor.

I'm eight months today. I don't have a Sponsor, sort-of got rid of her because she was way too controlling. Wanting me to email her everyday telling me everything I did that day, plus wanting me to go to five meetings a week. It didn't take long to see what would happen if I kept her. She went on vacation for a month and I didn't send her an email or anything and she hasn't contacted me so I'm hoping we've drifted apart and she's given up on me. If not, I have an email ready to send.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Y'know what's a great way to deliver exposition and character development? Three minute long horse ride conversations. Those are terrific. Just have characters explain their motivations to each other on horseback. That's storytelling.

A videogame? With bad character development!?

Why I never!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
there are evidence based, secular addiction help groups out there. AA is poo poo and has no proof their methods work even after all this time

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

there are evidence based, secular addiction help groups out there. AA is poo poo and has no proof their methods work even after all this time

If memory serves AA and NA are a bit better than trying to quit entirely by yourself but yeah...they're ultimately a front for Christianity recruitment in the end. You don't see it at first as all they tell you is to "believe in a higher power greater than yourself" but a bit longer in and it's "oh by the way it's Jesus." Their last few steps are even "gotta pray to God!" You literally can't be considered to have completed the program until you believe in God and go through a "spiritual awakening."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You don't eat eggs for breakfast because there are no other options though. :confused:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

they're ultimately a front for Christianity recruitment in the end. You don't see it at first as all they tell you is to "believe in a higher power greater than yourself"
I guess that's not specifically Christian, but it's pretty obviously religious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

I guess that's not specifically Christian, but it's pretty obviously religious.

The "higher power" part isn't by itself but later on they push Christian beliefs on top of that. That's the issue; it's a veil around "only God can save you from the booze."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's anecdotal, but I know a few people it's worked for and they never had to do the "god" stuff. One of my buddy's "higher power" was his cat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's anecdotal, but I know a few people it's worked for and they never had to do the "god" stuff. One of my buddy's "higher power" was his cat.

That is really cute and I'm glad for him. I saw Umberto D for the first time tonight and I'm on a pet salvation high. :3:

Speaking of film, I really wish the States would put less stock in how hot their actors are. I can't tell a lot of the fuckers apart, or at least am really bad at confusing [x] for [y] since they're all set to such a narrow standard of "acceptable." Foreign actors are always very memorable for how different they look or, hey, maybe because they're better actors than they are models. More Peter Lorres, fewer... whoever those kids in Cloverfield were. All of them.

Das Boo has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Mar 2, 2017

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves AA and NA are a bit better than trying to quit entirely by yourself but yeah...they're ultimately a front for Christianity recruitment in the end. You don't see it at first as all they tell you is to "believe in a higher power greater than yourself" but a bit longer in and it's "oh by the way it's Jesus." Their last few steps are even "gotta pray to God!" You literally can't be considered to have completed the program until you believe in God and go through a "spiritual awakening."

I had trouble getting and keeping sponsors because they couldn't deal with the fact that I was atheist. One just quit contacting me. Another took a really long time to figure out how to proceed.

If you ask them, they deny they're religious. I mean, God is in nearly every Step and Tradition but, you're right, you're not religious. It's hilarious!

And I'm happy for those that AA has worked for. Whatever works is what's important. My thing is that AA is not the end-all be-all they claim to be. In fact they have a huge fail rate. If asked about it, they shrug and say the person didn't do the steps correctly or use the benefits of their sponsor. Nothing they do is their fault.

Personally I don't do any of the steps. I read a little of the book but not much. I do attend AA but I just go for social interaction and to meet with friends that go.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Das Boo posted:

That is really cute and I'm glad for him. I saw Umberto D for the first time tonight and I'm on a pet salvation high. :3:

That's the best high there is.

Das Boo posted:

Speaking of film, I really wish the States would put less stock in how hot their actors are. I can't tell a lot of the fuckers apart, or at least am really bad at confusing [x] for [y] since they're all set to such a narrow standard of "acceptable." Foreign actors are always very memorable for how different they look or, hey, maybe because they're better actors than they are models. More Peter Lorres, fewer... whoever those kids in Cloverfield were. All of them.

Yeah, agreed on this one, too. You ever watch old TV? They used to let ordinary-looking people have recurring roles, for god's sake.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Plus if you have an accent, Americans will think you're hot anyway (well, maybe not Peter Lorre). This is why Benedict Cumberbatch is a sex symbol despite being a literal reptile.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, agreed on this one, too. You ever watch old TV? They used to let ordinary-looking people have recurring roles, for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Autonomous robots will likely be far more humane than humans when they administer death to humans. Robot cops and soldiers are friendlier cops and soldiers.