Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"True or False: a UFC Royal Rumble would be hella cool and good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

threeagainstfour posted:

Anyone get the fight pass survey?

One of the potential ideas they are asking if we would find interesting.

"“Lose and You’re Out” match-ups among fighters that are in the UFC, but with multiple consecutive losses; the winner keeps his/her UFC contract but the loser is cut from the UFC"

I indicated more interest in the "win and in" idea, where two guys are bought in for just one fight, and the winner gets a contract. Basically TUF without the tournament and reality show.

Even though they unofficially have "lose and out" fights most cards where we pretty much know both guys have to win, it would be depressing to have it publicly announced that the loser will be cut.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vengarr posted:

"True or False: a UFC Royal Rumble would be hella cool and good"

I had to look it up. False, the Royal Rumble seems dumber than hell.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

They have fights where the fans who follow the UFC closely know that a guy who is on a losing streak will probably soon be cut if he loses, but have they ever officially declared before a match that a guy/girl is going to be cut from the promotion if they lose a fight?

I don't think they have ever done that. It probably would be crazy depressing if they started doing that.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
fighters paint htemselves into enough of a corner without the ufc having to do it for them. i really hope that the ufc does not start trying to cater to the fans by treating the fighters like poo poo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Start?

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
I've not seen that, and it would be a stupid thing to do because the likely outcome is Tim Sylvia-style fights where fighters try not to lose instead of trying to win and, consequently, really bad fights.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Google Butt posted:

Gsp vs conor has to happen right?

Yes it will happen.... for the interim welterweight title.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Misha C is back... dont know what transpired but its good

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Yoel and the other good middleweights should just move to lhw because that belt is never going to be up for grabs again

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aaaaaa I'm Champien forever (c)!

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Wait why did they book Maia for May if GSP isn't getting the next WW shot?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

vainman posted:

Wait why did they book Maia for May if GSP isn't getting the next WW shot?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

boooo!!!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Zwachro posted:

I've not seen that, and it would be a stupid thing to do because the likely outcome is Tim Sylvia-style fights where fighters try not to lose instead of trying to win and, consequently, really bad fights.

It'd lead to a whole load of terrible third rounds where the guy who's behind chases the guy who's ahead around the cage for 5 minutes.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

threeagainstfour posted:

They have fights where the fans who follow the UFC closely know that a guy who is on a losing streak will probably soon be cut if he loses, but have they ever officially declared before a match that a guy/girl is going to be cut from the promotion if they lose a fight?

I don't think they have ever done that. It probably would be crazy depressing if they started doing that.

That kinda reminds me of this which is probably worse.

Or better since he pulled off the upset.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

I feel like the ufc has kind of given up all pretense of title matchups being sporting events instead of blatant business decisions, which sucks imo

its for the best

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

I.N.R.I posted:

its for the best

this is not even the worst time that this has happened so i dont know why everyone is getting up in arms about it. does anyone remember brock lesnar? hell they gave bj a shot at the ww title against hughes after losing the the title elimanator because georges was hurt and they knew itd be a cool fight. this has been happening forever.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

"“Lose and You’re Out” match-ups among fighters that are in the UFC, but with multiple consecutive losses; the winner keeps his/her UFC contract but the loser is cut from the UFC"

That pisses me off

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

threeagainstfour posted:

yikes

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
extremely interested

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Ya, that's awful.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My favorite is when people whine about weak headliners and blame it on the bogeyman of the week while forgetting that Sean Salmon once fought in a UFC main event.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I cant even wrap my head around what that means. If two guys on losing streaks fight, the loser gets cut sounds like every time two guys on losing streaks fight

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I guess the idea is to give drama/significance to fights in the very bottom tier of the UFC. So the 500,000 hardcores who bought fight piss can be emotionally invested in a fight between two guys who used to be good or did something cool on TUF but are now in danger of being cut. Nerds like us might be more likely to watch early prelims to see Artem Lobov vs Maximo Blanco or whatever

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

this is not even the worst time that this has happened so i dont know why everyone is getting up in arms about it. does anyone remember brock lesnar? hell they gave bj a shot at the ww title against hughes after losing the the title elimanator because georges was hurt and they knew itd be a cool fight. this has been happening forever.

Yeah its happened before but the sport was a lot smaller back then, its less defensible now when theres a bunch of good exciting guys on long win streaks and they get passed up for gimmick fights

It was pretty slim pickings back then let alone at Heavyweight where a 1 fight win streak was more than good enough to give you a whack at the title

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

That pisses me off

What, you don't like watching men engage in gladiatorial combat for their livelihoods?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

manyak posted:

Yeah its happened before but the sport was a lot smaller back then, its less defensible now when theres a bunch of good exciting guys on long win streaks and they get passed up for gimmick fights

It was pretty slim pickings back then let alone at Heavyweight where a 1 fight win streak was more than good enough to give you a whack at the title

Timing plays a lot into it. No one minded Hendo/Bisping II because there was no clear #1 contender, but it's 100% Yoel's turn right now and they shouldn't be offering it to anyone else. I wouldn't care if GSP fought the Woodley/Wonderboy winner but this is some straight nonsense

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"Who else thinks it would be cool if Connor went to UFC 209, and khabib wins and says "I want to fight your Irish chicken" and Connor enters the octagon and says "you'll do fookin noothin""

Do we have a thread for bad youtube comments?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bundt Cake posted:

I cant even wrap my head around what that means. If two guys on losing streaks fight, the loser gets cut sounds like every time two guys on losing streaks fight

This. They already do it unless you are a ridiculous fan favourite. The only difference is they want to make money by marketing their desperation lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Timing plays a lot into it. No one minded Hendo/Bisping II because there was no clear #1 contender, but it's 100% Yoel's turn right now and they shouldn't be offering it to anyone else. I wouldn't care if GSP fought the Woodley/Wonderboy winner but this is some straight nonsense

Yoel lost to Jacare and cheated with corner shenanigans in two of his last 4 fights. Also, he's on steroids. gently caress him.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"Who else thinks it would be cool if Connor went to UFC 209, and khabib wins and says "I want to fight your Irish chicken" and Connor enters the octagon and says "you'll do fookin noothin""

Do we have a thread for bad youtube comments?

I think it would be cool, and no but I don't see what thats got to do with the first part.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yoel has never used steroids in his life, typical racism from PSP.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Yoel lost to Jacare and cheated with corner shenanigans in two of his last 4 fights. Also, he's on steroids. gently caress him.

Yeah but still

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I guess the idea is to give drama/significance to fights in the very bottom tier of the UFC. So the 500,000 hardcores who bought fight piss can be emotionally invested in a fight between two guys who used to be good or did something cool on TUF but are now in danger of being cut. Nerds like us might be more likely to watch early prelims to see Artem Lobov vs Maximo Blanco or whatever

Its very gross

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

vainman posted:

Its very gross

They already do this they just don't tell the fan till you wikipedia the guys and notice they're both 0-2 in their last fights.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

UFC: Bumfights

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

It's kind of tacky but I don't see the problem really given that it's something the fighters/camps involved already know. & making two 0-2 guys fight each other for a spot is much better than making a 0-2 guy fight some mid level guy and being like well cya bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's kind of tacky but I don't see the problem really given that it's something the fighters/camps involved already know. & making two 0-2 guys fight each other for a spot is much better than making a 0-2 guy fight some mid level guy and being like well cya bud.

Seeing as they're already doing things like giving Lobov high profile fights because he's friends with McGregor, it's not much of a stretch.

• Locked thread