Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yellow eyed man is too silly looking to be that scary, especially with his goofy laugh that accompanies him.

The fingers coming around the wall were a nice touch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I dunno, the yellow eyed demon was pretty creepy skulking about in the background when David was going to hang himself in the premiere. Same for when Syd was trying to crawl away with kid-David in the vents and you just see his scary-rear end crawling faster towards her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yellow Eyed Man is your general purpose malevolent presence which frightens you in your dreams simply by existing.

The World's Angriest Boy in The World is the one which hunts you from dream to dream and wants to hurt you.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Serf posted:

Legion is kinda low key the best horror show I've seen in a long time. The yellow eyed devil and the world's angriest boy are both pretty creepy.

I've never been scared in the seasons of American Horror Story I've seen (1, 2, some of three, scattered eps after it).

But everytime I see the Boy turned around, I start glancing around my darkened room. It's that off-putting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yellow eyed man is too silly looking to be that scary, especially with his goofy laugh that accompanies him.

Up until the last episode, he was a curiosity. An element of mystery.

But now that we're starting to get hints as to its nature, he's becoming pretty creepy. He's not just manifested fear, he's a literal psychic invader that has taken control of and locked away parts of David's mind, and controls David through irrational fear.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ViggyNash posted:

Up until the last episode, he was a curiosity. An element of mystery.

But now that we're starting to get hints as to its nature, he's becoming pretty creepy. He's not just manifested fear, he's a literal psychic invader that has taken control of and locked away parts of David's mind, and controls David through irrational fear.

David's major trigger seems to be intense, Hulk-style emotion. Lenny leveraged it for good (astral projection to find his sister), whereas Fat Guy does Very Bad Things™ with it (horizontally bisecting Lenny).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I kind of believe we're jumping to conclusions on the yellow eyed man. We think he's evil because he looks kinda hosed up and a little unsettling, but this is the X-Men universe, that has nothing to do with a character being good or evil. It could be some manifestation of his mind that's protecting him or something.

Angriest boy in the world is loving horrifying by comparison. I doubt there will be much good in him.

Chokes McGee posted:

David's major trigger seems to be intense, Hulk-style emotion. Lenny leveraged it for good (astral projection to find his sister), whereas Fat Guy does Very Bad Things™ with it (horizontally bisecting Lenny).

I don't know, I don't think that's it entirely. Remember Lenny was hosed when his powers were in the hands of someone more sane.

I think emotions falling out of control is only one half of the puzzle.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 1, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, I don't think that's it entirely. Remember Lenny was hosed when his powers were in the hands of someone more sane.

I think emotions falling out of control is only one half of the puzzle.

don't hand a newbie an etc.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure peeling back a layer or two won't even begin to cover it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That barely looks like Jemaine Clement.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Well this ep is a wild ride already.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, pretty sure that the Devil with the Yellow Eyes is the Shadow King.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jesus, this show :stare::hf::pcgaming:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Good episode. The Shadow King is pretending to be Lenny, who was actually Benny?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
What is Kerry's superpower, abuse magnet? Seriously what was that fight scene?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Codependent Poster posted:

Good episode. The Shadow King is pretending to be Lenny, who was actually Benny?

My guess? Lenny is actually The Demon With the Yellow Eyes (I'm not calling him/her Shadow King until the show does), or at least how David projects the rational version of it on top of Benny, who appeared to Syd as Lenny because Syd inherited David's mental dysfunction along with his powers when they swapped bodies JESUS loving CHRIST I LOVE THIS SHOW

night slime
May 14, 2014

DivisionPost posted:

My guess? Lenny is actually The Demon With the Yellow Eyes (I'm not calling him/her Shadow King until the show does), or at least how David projects the rational version of it on top of Benny, who appeared to Syd as Lenny because Syd inherited David's mental dysfunction along with his powers when they swapped bodies JESUS loving CHRIST I LOVE THIS SHOW

As a kid, he talks to an invisible dog named King. Pretty clever.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

night slime posted:

:stare:

No seriously

:stare:

(Not at you, just...holy loving poo poo)

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
:stare: is a pretty good summation. I can't wait for next week.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
"This would be an awesome place for a fight"

"Helicopters flying in, ninjas on fast ropes!!"

Loved that bit

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This show's awesome, hope it sticks around a while.

Dmitri-9 posted:

What is Kerry's superpower, abuse magnet? Seriously what was that fight scene?

I was waiting to see her do some serious beatdown stuff and for like 1 minute she was pulling off a River from Serenity.

Then she proceeded to just get rear end whooped and nobody stayed down. Why the hell would you ever send her into a combat situation?

What's more, why would you do that when the person she's tethered to takes all the beating at the same time? Why not just send both at that point?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 2, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My only complaint is that every episode doesn't end with Hyperactive!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this is probably my second favorite episode after the pilot but the editing during the final scene was kind of hokey. looking forward to more beat poet jemaine in the future.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
What the heck is Eye's power? It looked like he shape-shifted, avoided getting shot a million times, and just knocked out that dude by touching him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I was waiting to see her do some serious beatdown stuff and for like 1 minute she was pulling off a River from Serenity.

Then she proceeded to just get rear end whooped and nobody stayed down. Why the hell would you ever send her into a combat situation?

What's more, why would you do that when the person she's tethered to takes all the beating at the same time? Why not just send both at that point?

She did manage to beat up four armed soldiers with her bare hands. The trouble came when more of them arrived.

You don't send both because one is an old man who can't fight at all, and presumably the connection works both ways so if he gets his rear end beat it hurts her as well.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah that one is definitely going in Joss Whedon's spank bank.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

What the heck is Eye's power? It looked like he shape-shifted, avoided getting shot a million times, and just knocked out that dude by touching him.

He is probably a telepath who can project illusions into other peoples minds and could subdue the memory guy with psychic combat. Dodging bullets is probably from telekinesis.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I think it's some kind of illusion power.

So he didn't physically shapeshift, he just used illusions to look different.
He didn't dodge or negate bullets, he just tricked someone into shooting in the wrong spot.
And illusion powers would explain the name The Eye.

He could also see David's astral projection when Division 3 was interogatting Amy, which again you can tie into illusion powers because it involves seeing what others can't.

Knocking a guy out is a bit more of a stretch, but I think it's still kind of reasonable. I mean there's two ways you can think of illusion powers - a) changing the information that you emit (by bending the light and bending sound waves) or b) changing the information that others recieve (by influencing other people's minds). So if The Eye's powers are an instance of the latter and he influences people's minds then rendering them unconcious doesn't seem unreasonable because that's a more powerful example of influencing someone's mind. Or alternatively it's possible that he has multiple powers, I mean David seems to have many many powers so "one mutant, one power" isn't a rule characters have to obey here.

That might be a bit spergy, but good episode anyway.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The eye was also unharmed as the goons in black outside started shooting up the lighthouse. His bullet invincibility has to be something else.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I thought he was controlling them or could sense where they were firing somehow, but he can't be exerting control if Syd was able to verbally trick them.

For the comically inclined, how close is Legion stuff to Push? It seems like a lot of similar powers, but that might just be coincidence since nobody's screamed yet.

Also this aged well:

Gravy Jones posted:

I read somewhere that Lenny was written as a middle aged guy and Aubrey Plaza only agreed todo the role if they didn't change any of the character's dialogue for her. This amuses me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
THIS SHOW IS AMAZING

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

THIS SHOW IS AMAZING
                           /
                          /

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JawnV6 posted:

For the comically inclined, how close is Legion stuff to Push? It seems like a lot of similar powers, but that might just be coincidence since nobody's screamed yet.

Well it's the X-Men universe, and David's one trick lends itself to crazy poo poo in there. Some of his crazier powers are the ability to answer any three questions someone asks, the ability to siphon love, and being a centaur.

I don't see them carrying any of those over to the tv show.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Escobarbarian posted:

THIS SHOW IS AMAZING

I'm so pissed you got that avatar idea first. I've been due for a change for a while and loving love that frog image.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Question is: if Lenny is the DwYE, or otherwise just a projection of David's hosed-up psyche ... then who got buried in the wall at Clockworks?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The first few times they showed the Angriest Boy from far away, I mistook his open mouth for a pushbroom mustache. Now whenever they show him, I can't shake the idea that people in David's subconscious mind are being chased around by Bighead Hitler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am so confused by the Cary/Kerry situation

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Selachian posted:

Question is: if Lenny is the DwYE, or otherwise just a projection of David's hosed-up psyche ... then who got buried in the wall at Clockworks?
Lenny was a real person at Clockworks. Syd-in-David killed her. King took that casual acquaintance, rounded her up to "longtime friend" and plastered over real-person Benny in the relevant memories, and is now using that form when he wants to compel David to do something.

Alternatively, nobody died at Clockworks? The Interrogator could have been lying or just going along with whatever nonsense David was saying, Syd only mentioned doing *something* bad in his body without mentioning bisection.

Previous episodes made it clear they had some connection, I want to go back to the scenes where he vocalized some request and she's just *there* to handle it. I thought the story was a good enough exposition dump, she can hop out at will and age (and die?) while he feels and moves along.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

night slime posted:

What's that a reference to?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Think of it as the opposite of 2 characters fusing together.

So say in Legends of Tomorrow, Professor Stein and Jax Jackson are 2 separate characters but they can fuse together to become Firestorm (2 separate egos contained within one body). Many other examples of this.

Cary/Kerry is naturally 2 different egos inhabiting the same body, but they can separate out to become 2 different egos in 2 different bodies. When they're combined Kerry is dormant most of the time, but she must still be there because Cary can have conversations with her without her physically needing to surface.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know, she's definitely "gone" in some way when not out considering she doesn't age and doesn't know what it is people do in bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bagrada posted:

What's that a reference to?

People assume it's in reference to comic-book villain The Shadow King. Who would be a source material appropriate Villain.

JawnV6 posted:

Alternatively, nobody died at Clockworks? The Interrogator could have been lying or just going along with whatever nonsense David was saying, Syd only mentioned doing *something* bad in his body without mentioning bisection.

It could be something like "She was a personality in David's head that he manifested into physical form, that Syd "killed" "

Man, when I had that in my head it didn't sound so stupid.