Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My-oh-tis-mon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
My-DigimonOtis-mon

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

My-DigimonOtis-mon

RIP DigimonOtis

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Oh gently caress that bastard is probably back, too.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Don't call my partner a bastard!!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

My-oh-tis-mon

Milo-and-Otis-mon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Azran posted:

I wish I had a Digimon IPA reference chart at times. I'm pretty sure I pronounce a lot of Digimon names in an incorrect fashion due to growing up with the Latin-American dub. Is Myotismon supposed to be pronounced that way? Here it was Mee-oh-tees-mon.

That's one of the reasons I mostly use the Japanese names these days, they're often more straightforward, like for example Myotismon's original name VamDemon

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I got caught up to Digimon Tri and then found out the new movie/episodes aren't available on CR for another month. Like hell I'll ever give them money again :downs:

The series up to what I watched seemed great, and they seemed to be getting a little meta with the reboot stuff, I saw some previews of the Loss movies and it looks pretty neat.

Are they going to attempt to explain why the Season 2 cast got whooped or why nobody seems very concerned at all that they're even missing?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Are they going to attempt to explain why the Season 2 cast got whooped or why nobody seems very concerned at all that they're even missing?

So far, no, it feels like they're dead and no one cares in any way whatsoever. Hopefully it'll come up sometime in the next two movies, but at this point they were only beaten to thin the cast out some.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The issue isn't that no one cares they're missing, it's that the story is using really contrived methods of keeping them unaware they're even gone.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The issue isn't that no one cares they're missing, it's that the story is using really contrived methods of keeping them unaware they're even gone.
It's really silly that nobody thought once to try and call the other digidestined to help out with this kind of stuff. Or even acknowledged their existance. They all seemed to be pretty good friends, and haven't thought to just call them up and let them know what's going on once.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man they really don't care either.

Ken shows up as apparently the Digimon Goddamn Emperor again, and the only one who even raises an eyebrow at this is Matt and all he does is go check on the guys house.

Note that at no point do they think that ISN'T Ken- Sora, I believe, calls 'Ken' by name in this new one when he pops up. They totally buy this is Ken, it's just that none of them give a poo poo for some reason. They also gave zero shits about killing an Imperialdramon, despite the fact that the only Imperialdramon that could possibly exist is one of their friends.

It's weird writing all the way around, but you can't say they don't don't care. They very clearly, very emphatically, do not give a poo poo about the season 2 cast. I expect that to change once we learn whatever the gently caress is up with them, but for the moment that is what everything about their actions says.

Then again the entire team has a very blase attitude about this kind of poo poo. I guess that's what happens when you're killed by the Apocalypse in physical form and then will yourself back to life through bullshit and inner power at the age of ten.

"Oh, Super God creator of all wants to do poo poo we don't like? Let's go punch his face inside out."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yamato goes to ask Maki if she knows anything about what Ken is doing, and blindly accepts that it's not Ken and the real Ken is totally fine, she checked.

It's Takeru and Hikari who go to Ken's house.

Tri. has a serious issue with the characters not bringing up or discussing anything in the first three movies. Leomon is murdered again, and who is the only one who cares? Meiko, not Mimi or Jou, who knew him best. Alphamon goes on a rampage and no one asks where the hell he went or what he was even doing there. They see him and Jesmon again after arriving on File Island, it's forgotten five seconds later. Maki shows up with Ken's D-Terminal and D3, no one asks a bloody question.

This isn't being blase about issues due to being jaded by horrifying and trying experiences, it's just flat out refusing to talk about it.

It's not just limited to the 02 kids. The first three films all have a serious issue with this.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Toei presents a compromise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Threesomes do solve everything.

Tai and Matt really need to just gently caress already.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

at last Burkion and I agree on something.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I did like how they fit in that the original DDs had a goggle boy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
TFR, we can always agree on threesomes and brolove.

One thing I am curious about

Are the other four original Digidestined dead, or merged with their Digimon or something? Like, we see them get caught up in those energy bubbles like their Digimon, and we never actually see them again in the past after that- they vanish when the Digimon go God Mode.

Her partner/ex boyfriend seems like he could have been one of them, but they made that very unclear and it could be that he just knew about her adventures, since otherwise you'd think he'd be more invested in what happened to his God Partner. ...you know considering the Dark Masters kicked their asses.

I'm VERY confused about what's up with the original Destined and where they stand now. I do find it funny that all the bullshit with Cody's dad and gently caress face mc creeper isn't brought up at all though. Even if you like season 2, the idea that humans directly created the Digital World, in the Adventure time line, is really stupid with how the Digital World worked.

makes a lot of goddamn sense in Tamers because they put a lot of work and effort into it and had it pay off but now this is a tangent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think they all just went on with their lives and entered the adult work force. Daigo and Maki are with the government because of her obsession.

Honestly, I can see the other three being alienated by Maki and Daigo being the only one at her side because of his feelings for her.

As for their partners, I imagine there's some detachment the Holy Beasts and the original five have forced themselves to act on because of their new roles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You'd think if he had any investment with her, he'd care even the slightest bit about whoever his partner was. If he even was one.

Because maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think we saw the other four after they all went up in the energy bubbles with their Digimon. I'm thinking they might have merged or something with their Digimon- that would be a good way to make the Holy Beasts special for the Adventure reality.

It'd also tie into her obsession with her lost partner all the more- she was the only survivor of the original five, and she didn't even get to keep her Digimon.

I will also never not laugh at what huge failures they ended up being. Sorry Maki, your Digimon died for nothing because the Dark Masters punked the Holy Beasts hardcore.

The chances of it going down are super slim now with the stupid Tree intruding into the Adventure timeline, but I really did hope Apocalymon was making a come back as the big final threat again, or at least some new variation of the guy. He was the original enemy of the five original kids after all. Maybe he'll be behind the scenes corrupting the tree. I just think, with how they explained Adventure Apocalymon, you could do some crazy poo poo with him with Tri's budget- a creature that isn't really a Digimon, that was born from the countless dead that could not survive, could not evolve, that so hates itself that it wants all things to be as miserable as it.

Think of the arm tearing from Adventure only magnify it with movie budget and even laxer censorship. You could have a creepy goddamn villain.

Instead we got the Tree.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That doesn't really make any sense. Daigo's partner became Baihumon and he's not merged with him. It'd be rather random to do that with three of them and not one of them. I don't think that's what happened at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That doesn't really make any sense. Daigo's partner became Baihumon and he's not merged with him. It'd be rather random to do that with three of them and not one of them. I don't think that's what happened at all.

I keep asking- was Daigo one of the original five? Because they never actually say that he was. He sort of talks like he knows what's up, but that could also be just from what he knows from her.

It was, to me at least, super unclear.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That boy that Maki wakes up in the flashback at the start is Daigo. His name starts with a "da" sound, some part of gogglehead names usually include that or a "ta" sound (Daisuke Motomiya, Takato Matsuda, Takuya Kanbara, Masaru Daimon, Taiki Kudou). His last name is also "Nishijima", which translates to "western island". Baihumon is associated with the western digital world. Not to mention in the flashback to them in college he knew about the digital world and what happened to Bakumon and why he couldn't be reborn.

That was definitely, 100 % him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

That boy that Maki wakes up in the flashback at the start is Daigo. His name starts with a "da" sound, some part of gogglehead names usually include that or a "ta" sound (Daisuke Motomiya, Takato Matsuda, Takuya Kanbara, Masaru Daimon, Taiki Kudou). His last name is also "Nishijima", which translates to "western island". Baihumon is associated with the western digital world.

That was definitely, 100 % him.

If you say so. I still find it weird how disconnected he is- doesn't seem to care what happened to them with the Reboot at all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, more powerful Digimon seemed to have been able to ignore the reboot, and even then, Maki was selling it as a necessary action to save the digital world from infection (remember, Leomon said how bad things were there).

He was fooled as much as everyone else that it was something they had to do.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Burkion posted:

If you say so. I still find it weird how disconnected he is- doesn't seem to care what happened to them with the Reboot at all.

He's an adult. The only adults still obsessed with Digimon are weirdos.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

There is literally no other effective narrative reason for them to show him or give him any focus in those scenes at all. If they wanted the only character we knew from those scenes to be Maki, he would have gotten no focus at all, like the other three. Instead we clearly show him with Maki (the only other person with a real emotional connection to her in the series so far), he appears again in a similar position in the later library flashback scene, and he's been established to be intimately familiar with the Digital World.

Him not being concerned with his Digimon is easy to explain: his Digimon, his friend, was not loving killed right in front of him while he was literally possessed by the force that apparently caused it. Instead, his was allowed to evolve to Mega, into one of the supposedly strongest Digimon ever (who then got chumped by the Dark Masters, but ok), apparently was imprisoned, and then released to protect the Digital World again. Before being imprisoned and released to protect the Digital World AGAIN.

We don't know exactly how they left each other, but I'm pretty sure that it's way easier to part with your newly super powered best bud when you're able to at least say goodbye in person. Along with that, we know that the original DDs ended up failing; apparently, Daigo wasn't a good enough goggle boy to activate anime courage and give his team the boost they needed. Instead, Maki was possessed, and gave the four a boost, somehow leaving her best friend out of it. Now, she didn't get to say goodbye, she didn't get to see her best friend become something special, she got to watch him become a blast of energy that seemed to completely loving fail, a sacrifice for absolutely nothing.

Consider how hosed up that probably made her at that age, going through the rest of her life seeing that. However the other DDs got to leave intact, she's the only one who flat out watched her partner die for nothing, after seemingly not being judged good enough. Remember how hosed up Juri was after Leomon died?

Granted, there's an oddity in the fact that this exists: http://wikimon.net/Huanglongmon

Maybe there'll be something done with that later.

Hypocrisy posted:

It's true, we are.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Headed to the Tri shop someday soon to hopefully pick up one of those crest/tag keychains. What crest should I get?

Hypocrisy posted:

Case in point: the dudes in this thread

except me obviously, im the cool digimon guy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody know if the other parts of Tri's English dub will get released in theater?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

Anybody know if the other parts of Tri's English dub will get released in theater?

I'm gonna guess "probably"? I actually haven't heard a peep about the dub since the initial burst of news leading up to the premiere of part 1 last September. But I seem to recall it did pretty well for a special Fathom Event, so it stands to reason there's a market for the remaining films coming to theaters, but who honestly knows at this point.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
They probably should have saved Seraphimon for the next movie, because he didn't make any sense in this one.

But I am absolutely ready for the scene when all the Megas digivolve together. I've been waiting for this for 15 years. Oh my god Digimon is so cool.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I had the opportunity to watch on Youtube the Adventure bit in which Machinedramon is defeated, American dub version. Something that was noteworthy was the part where WarGreymon became Koromon again and said something like "I sliced you up like an onion". My brain went "woah, wait, what did he say in the LA dub?" Went and checked on Youtube and he says something corny about friendship, which kinda makes more sense than the onion part considering you get a glance at every other digidestined and digimon (and I suppose Andromon) just looking on happily, with a background shine and all. Checked the Japanese version and he says the same thing. I am surprised, all this time I thought the LA dub was just the NA version with Spanish voices on top, but they actually translated the Japanese one. In retrospective, the songs should have made this obvious but oh well.

On that note, was the Tamers NA dub any good? I know it had ~ Steve Blum ~ in it but oh god gently caress me if I'm going to endure the "digimon digital monsters" digievolution song any longer.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Tamers dub is easily as good as the Japanese original if not better in certain respects.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Except for the "lull destruction" and the moment that changes Jian's entire character at the end, sure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't like the change to what Leomon says during his death scene in the English dub of Tamers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, it's just sloppy and doesn't jive with what they do later.

There's also some pointless and frustrating changes to Ruki's character early on that make her more snide and abrasive than she's supposed to be as well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Azran posted:

I had the opportunity to watch on Youtube the Adventure bit in which Machinedramon is defeated, American dub version. Something that was noteworthy was the part where WarGreymon became Koromon again and said something like "I sliced you up like an onion". My brain went "woah, wait, what did he say in the LA dub?" Went and checked on Youtube and he says something corny about friendship, which kinda makes more sense than the onion part considering you get a glance at every other digidestined and digimon (and I suppose Andromon) just looking on happily, with a background shine and all. Checked the Japanese version and he says the same thing. I am surprised, all this time I thought the LA dub was just the NA version with Spanish voices on top, but they actually translated the Japanese one. In retrospective, the songs should have made this obvious but oh well.

How the gently caress did you think the Latin American version, the version with blatantly zero censorship or corny dub dialogue, and with the original music, was dubbed from the English version? It doesn't even stick to the weird changes to the Crests (though it does use mostly dub names, except for attacks that are always the Japanese names. Probably due to marketing purpouses).

Hell, it was from the time anime was usually dubbed directly from Japan (Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2 come to mind).

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Roth posted:

I don't like the change to what Leomon says during his death scene in the English dub of Tamers.

I figured that was either them screwing up and not realizing the weight of his words carrying onto Jeri's story arc, or they didn't want it to emotionally destroy children when Leomon shrugged off his death as being fate.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The dub made the attempted suicide scene creepier somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Blaze Dragon posted:

How the gently caress did you think the Latin American version, the version with blatantly zero censorship or corny dub dialogue, and with the original music, was dubbed from the English version? It doesn't even stick to the weird changes to the Crests (though it does use mostly dub names, except for attacks that are always the Japanese names. Probably due to marketing purpouses).

Hell, it was from the time anime was usually dubbed directly from Japan (Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Ranma 1/2 come to mind).

I could swear the only instance of censorship I know of (the one in Gargomon's first appearance) was also in the LA dub, weird. It's been a long time since I watched halfway through the series (the channel broadcasting it here never finished the run) so yeah, faulty memory and all that. What kind of changes were made to the crests, by the way?