Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The fact that the fights are rarely one-on-one also makes lock on seem it'd be less useful anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
When you reload on save you spawn in with full helath so you can just quicksave and then immediately reload it and you're at full. That's...interesting.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Using the rattler may be resource intensive as hell but drat it if I'm not having a blast gunning down bandits with a stone-age MP5. It's actually made fighting humans... fun.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

bloodychill posted:

Physical oh god physical. Elemental is really important for fights like the one ethanol mentioned but physical is more important early on.

Uh that's dead wrong!!!

You gotta prioritize looking cool! I don't care if I die in 2 hits to everything but I wear this cool shaman outfit that has a robot skull head dress with feathers and that's the only thing that matters.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

tying robots down and then launching explosions at them is good, if you ask me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alris posted:

Just got this game, before I start it up what difficulty should I be playing on?

Hard is normal, Very Hard if you wanna play Robot Souls (the best way to play).

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Holy poo poo getting locked in a quarry to fight robot Tremors was awful until I realized I wasn't actually locked in the quarry and I could hide under a fence post and slowly shoot him to death a couple arrows at a time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Uh that's dead wrong!!!

You gotta prioritize looking cool! I don't care if I die in 2 hits to everything but I wear this cool shaman outfit that has a robot skull head dress with feathers and that's the only thing that matters.

As I get further into the game and notice more parallels with Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga, it has become mandatory that my red-haired protagonist wears the blue outfit to best match the princess of the winds. Do I need frost protection? Almost never. But that's not what matters.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I have not read the manga but I love the movie! Can I drive up a wall like in Castle of Cagliostro in this game though?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Whoo, the end of Cauldron Rho is no joke. But slamming all the highest +tear mods I had into my sharpshooter bow let me pop off the Ravager's cannon with one tear arrow and mow both it and the snapjaw down with it. :black101:

I love how good this game makes you feel for taking down these huge loving robots. Especially on very hard.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Holy poo poo getting locked in a quarry to fight robot Tremors was awful until I realized I wasn't actually locked in the quarry and I could hide under a fence post and slowly shoot him to death a couple arrows at a time.

I just did that fight and yes it is hell. It's the only fight in the game I've restarted more than a couple times (probably like 15 :ohdear:) but for anyone who gets stuck on it, here's the trick:

Its main vulnerability is freeze. Hit it with freeze bombs when it comes up and lands on the ground until it freezes. Then let lose on it with the rattler. Then go hide behind the loving shed and keep an eye on it because it has trouble attacking that spot, though it still can with its range attack and might even be able to melee you. Freeze and rattler/arrow it down. Traps other than freeze don't seem to do much to it so don't bother

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everyone keeps recommending very hard but I'm already dying a lot on normal :negative: I gave up on the sidequest to kill two sawtooths at once

I've skipped a bunch of sidequests since they weren't on the way to main quests and I haven't found a quest reward as good as +1 spear damage yet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been dying a bunch on normal and I'm glad I never listen to goons about difficulty settings.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lakbay posted:

Everyone keeps recommending very hard but I'm already dying a lot on normal :negative: I gave up on the sidequest to kill two sawtooths at once

I've skipped a bunch of sidequests since they weren't on the way to main quests and I haven't found a quest reward as good as +1 spear damage yet

Change up tactics. First of all, get the skill that slows down time when you aim. Secondly, use stealth bushes a lot and snipe with your bows. Third, use traps like the trip wire gun a lot. Fourth, only use the spear for final attacks, sneak attacks, and final hits if you see a good opportunity. The key to the game is using all the tools it gives you and using the spear sparingly instead of as a primary weapon.

Lastly, don't be ashamed if you're having trouble in Normal mode. Just focus on using the tools you have and doing those missions.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I do all that and I still die a lot. My main problem is that I cannot aim for poo poo even with all the concentration upgrades and when I whiff a headshot an entire pack of enemies will come investigate my bush. Someone said that the game is balanced for both approaches but it feels like they really want you to stealth robot battles, especially the larger ones. On normal a robot melee attack will do 1/4th to 1/2th your health in damage and those robots can jump far. The end of the earliest cauldron was just backpeddling, dodging, and using up all my ammo for every weapon.

When you use the Focus, the glowly gold bits are weakpoints right?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Not always. Sometimes they disable abilities on the robot and even without special abilities, all the bots are still dangerous. The big thing are elemental containers that you hit the corresponding element to trigger explosions. Aiming is tough though, no joke. Especially hitting stuff like the canisters on the bottom of the bigger bots.

Edit: oh also use the rattler to do big damage. It's probably better than doing critical hit on the bigger monsters.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 2, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I really like the game but this is just wrong. There are at least three different pointless collecting things, including coffee mugs.

Well, I didn't mean there are zero collectibles. What I was thinking more about was that it doesn't do the thing Assassin's Creed does where there are like five types of busywork missions it copy-pastes all over the place. Plus, the collectibles in Horizon come in smaller numbers and at least have something cool about them--you can either trade them for things or they have lore attached to them (or you can just look at them because they're actual objects and not "Helix Glitches" or whatever). I was amused when I found an "Ancient Vessel" and it was a coffee mug, for example.

But you're right, there are mostly-pointless collectibles, but there aren't a bunch of copy-pasted pointless busywork "side quests."

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
How do weapon mods really work? I found +% fire mods for my bow, I assume those only boost damage of fire arrows?

e: I ask because in some games this would take a percent of the damage and convert it to fire, or just deal bonus fire damage.

suuma fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 2, 2017

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I was having some trouble with the two sawtooths as well, but I was still able to beat it by figuring out their range(You run a certain distance and they won't pursue/will run back to their patrols, giving you a chance to put a few arrows in them) and by rolling constantly and using the sling and rope caster to slow one of them down. That fight actually got me to start using all of my tools in fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How rare is this +42% damage weapon mod I found? Because picking it up has encouraged me to beeline for Tinker so that I can safely put it in my bow and not have to worry about being unable to remove it when I later get a better bow.

suuma posted:

How do weapon mods really work? I found +% fire mods for my bow, I assume those only boost damage of fire arrows?

I believe so, yes. It wouldn't even let me put a +% fire mod on a weapon that couldn't shoot fire ammo, for example. And adding it to my bow that can shoot fire arrows only increased the damage rating of the fire arrows, not the normal ones.

Armor mods, meanwhile, are free to add entirely new types of resistances to your armor, because armor isn't limited by what kind of ammo it can shoot.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's weird you can only equip four weapons at once when it isn't even tied to the d-pad, the weapon wheel is already really cluttered might as well let the player use their entire inventory

Are there weapons that are straight upgrades later on or do the better weapons just shoot different types of payloads and have more mod slots?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

I believe so, yes. It wouldn't even let me put a +% fire mod on a weapon that couldn't shoot fire ammo, for example. And adding it to my bow that can shoot fire arrows only increased the damage rating of the fire arrows, not the normal ones.

Armor mods, meanwhile, are free to add entirely new types of resistances to your armor, because armor isn't limited by what kind of ammo it can shoot.

Cool, thanks. I haven't had very long to test it out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lakbay posted:

It's weird you can only equip four weapons at once when it isn't even tied to the d-pad, the weapon wheel is already really cluttered might as well let the player use their entire inventory

Are there weapons that are straight upgrades later on or do the better weapons just shoot different types of payloads and have more mod slots?

my upgraded tripcaster i got is just literally the tripcaster but with more mod slots, it seems like they're straight upgrades

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

It's probably because you use the same wheel for selecting your ammo type, and making the slices too small would make it hard to select things in a hurry. They probably also want to force you to make choices about your loadout before you go in to fight something.

Though really it seems like you can be prepared for any situation if you have something for each type of elemental damage, something with increased tear capability, and something that just puts out a lot of damage. Right now I have a freeze and shock sling, two bows (one with sharpshooter/tearblast arrows and another with normal/fire arrows), and a shock/blast tripcaster. I want to drop one of those things to equip a rattler but I can't decide which one.

Lots of weapons are also just straight upgrades to earlier ones. In general, if you get a weapon that seems similar to one you already have but is one World of Warcraft rarity color higher, it's a straight upgrade and you can safely ditch your old one.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

rabidsquid posted:

my upgraded tripcaster i got is just literally the tripcaster but with more mod slots, it seems like they're straight upgrades

They also allow access to a new type of ammo at every tier. So yes they are straight up upgrades and you should strive to max it out to increase your toolkit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh yeah that's true, the first upgrade to the tripcaster lets you use explosive fire traps and not just shock ones

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As far as I can tell, the only type of weapon that you might want two of are bows, right? Because you have the hunter bow and sharpshooter bow and their ammo types don't overlap at all. Everything else just goes in a straight upgrade path, like the top-tier sling shoots all of the sling ammo types so you only need one sling at that point.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do the higher tiers do more damage?

I know I saw a merchant selling a purple bow that shoots completely different ammo than the carja hunter bow you start out with and it wasn't a sharpshooter bow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Damage seems to be entirely down to ammo type, as far as I can tell. New tiers just make the weapon able to shoot more ammo types, so it's more versatile, and also have more upgrade slots.

The other bow you saw was probably a sharpshooter bow. Hunter bows and sharpshooter bows have entirely separate ammo types. Of the six types of arrows, the hunter bow and sharpshooter bow each have three.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The + elemental % mods make it easier to apply that effect so +fire makes it easier to get enemies burning and so on.

RE Bows: There's also the war bow which does shock and freeze, a purple war bow may have a third but I haven't see one yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will say armor doesn't seem to make a giant difference on Very Hard so far, with the exception of that one preorder armor that seems to have a hidden "take like 25% damage from every attack" ability so I'm not using it.

Like, if I wear something with zero melee defense, one hit takes like 70% of my health, and the next hit kills me. If I wear Nora Protector Medium, one hit takes like 55% of my health and the next hit kills me, so I still die in two hits either way. I guess it lets my medicine pouch last me longer? Maybe it'll start making more of a difference when I'm level 30 and have 500 health or something, but I'd assume enemies will do more damage by that point, too. Or maybe if I stuff it full of purple mods.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

As far as I can tell, the only type of weapon that you might want two of are bows, right? Because you have the hunter bow and sharpshooter bow and their ammo types don't overlap at all. Everything else just goes in a straight upgrade path, like the top-tier sling shoots all of the sling ammo types so you only need one sling at that point.

Even though there's overlap, the War Bow (elemental) has its uses. I'd say try to get every weapon and their upgrades because it, again, expands your toolkit.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

RE Bows: There's also the war bow which does shock and freeze, a purple war bow may have a third but I haven't see one yet.

Yeah it was a war bow, it shot 3 different ammo types I didn't recognize

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Even though there's overlap, the War Bow (elemental) has its uses. I'd say try to get every weapon and their upgrades because it, again, expands your toolkit.

Oh poo poo, I forgot there's a third type of bow.

What loadouts are people using, out of curiosity? I'm definitely going to get and upgrade every weapon type I can, but it can be hard to decide what to actually equip at any given time. Right now I have a hunter bow, a sharpshooter bow, a freeze/shock sling, and a blast/shock tripcaster, but I feel like having a ropecaster and a rattler equipped would be really nice. Not sure what I'd take off for those, at least for general running around use.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

but I'd assume enemies will do more damage by that point, too. Or maybe if I stuff it full of purple mods.

From what everyone is saying I'm guessing everything does the same damage throughout the game (barring changing difficulty) you just can take more hits and have more tools to deal with stuff when you're higher level

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Lakbay posted:

Use traps/tripwires and fire arrows. The sawtooth body is weak against fire, and hitting them with 3 fire arrows is enough to light them up. They also flail around when you set them on fire, which buys you a couple more seconds and gives you a chance to maybe shoot the blaze canister tucked under their belly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot there's a third type of bow.

What loadouts are people using, out of curiosity? I'm definitely going to get and upgrade every weapon type I can, but it can be hard to decide what to actually equip at any given time. Right now I have a hunter bow, a sharpshooter bow, a freeze/shock sling, and a blast/shock tripcaster, but I feel like having a ropecaster and a rattler equipped would be really nice. Not sure what I'd take off for those, at least for general running around use.

Go-to for me is: hunter bow, war bow, and sharpshooter bow with the fourth slot being whatever utility is most applicable at the moment.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mars4523 posted:

Use traps/tripwires and fire arrows. The sawtooth body is weak against fire, and hitting them with 3 fire arrows is enough to light them up. They also flail around when you set them on fire, which buys you a couple more seconds and gives you a chance to maybe shoot the blaze canister tucked under their belly.

Fire tripwires seem ultra-effective against sawteeth, and work even when your aim is as bad as mine, though of course that requires having the upgraded caster.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I need like a shotgun bow

I'm so bad at shooting mans.

I've tried going primarily melee. It's just so much easier to rip the poo poo out of things with the bow.

Also this video game is really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Norns posted:

I need like a shotgun bow

I'm so bad at shooting mans.

I've tried going primarily melee. It's just so much easier to rip the poo poo out of things with the bow.

Also this video game is really loving good.

Yeah, hitting stuff right in the eyes is pretty hard. I found stealth kills (requires a skill) to be most effective. There's plenty of tools for distracting enemies/abusing stealth mechanics.