Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

straight up brolic posted:

Whose shooting would you rather have Josh Jackson shooting 30 something percent from three and 55% from the line or DeAaron Fox shooting 17% from three and 74% from the line?

NBA coaching should improve both of these percentages though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Khagan posted:

NBA coaching should improve both of these percentages though.

I mean, most bad free throw shooters will stay bad free throw shooters for their entire careers. Three point shooting can be improved more easily. But expecting a dude who shoots 17% to become passable is a bit of a fools errand.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The list of guys who were terrible ft shooters but good 3 point shooters is not a very long one. You'll occasionally get a Bruce Bowen who trains himself to just hit corner 3s but there tends to be a strong correlation.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 2, 2017

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Didn't think bad FT shot mechanics could be that hard to correct.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khagan posted:

It's not always mechanics.

*insert lakers free throw practice numbers here*

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Khagan posted:

You'd think that but years of evidence suggests otherwise.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Khagan posted:

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Khagan posted:

it's more that shooting 37% 3pt/55% ft
the free throw % is so low, considering the shot is unguarded, it calls into question if the relatively high 3pt % is a fluke and whether the player can make jumpers in a game situation

Justise Winslow shot 41.8% 3pt / 64.1% ft in college and can't hit a jumper in the NBA to save his life

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Winslow was also ungodly awful on 2 point jumpers in college, which was another thing pointing to his 3 pt% being a fluke. Not sure how Jackson is on those

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not always mechanics.

*insert lakers free throw practice numbers here*

That can easily be chalked up to Dwight putting stick'em on his hands.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

ragle posted:

it's more that shooting 37% 3pt/55% ft
the free throw % is so low, considering the shot is unguarded, it calls into question if the relatively high 3pt % is a fluke and whether the player can make jumpers in a game situation

Justise Winslow shot 41.8% 3pt / 64.1% ft in college and can't hit a jumper in the NBA to save his life

Forgot to mention if Jackson's and Fox's %s are bad for their position relative to your average NBA player with a couple years experience. Yeah I know Centers are generally poor at the stripe.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

That can easily be chalked up to Dwight putting stick'em on his hands.

That's still one of my favorite things in the last few years.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Khagan posted:

Forgot to mention if Jackson's and Fox's %s are bad for their position relative to your average NBA player with a couple years experience. Yeah I know Centers are generally poor at the stripe.

Generally the benchmarks are 30% on 3s and 60% on FTs. Anything lower is A Problem, regardless of position.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

And what, really, is the upper limit of improvement in the pros? I can think of a quite a few cases of guys who went from low 30s 3pt% to being sharpshooters, but only a small handful who dramatically improved at the line (Karl Malone notoriously went from a Shaq esque trash shooter in college and his rookie year to slightly below average, and Chris Webber and Tyson Chandler made big leaps from bad to above average, but not until they'd been in the league for nearly a decade). Really in either case you're talking probably a 10% upper limit realistically, which is a much bigger relative improvement from 3.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Blake Griffin is 52% in year 2 to 75%

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Derrick Rose 70% in college to 86%

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Blake Griffin is 52% in year 2 to 75%

Griffin shot like 59% in college but that's still another good example. Rose is bizarre because these jumps are almost NEVER guards: almost every time it's a big man. I can't find anyone who's done the same work scraping colege bball reference and comparing and I don't have the time, but I think Rose is likely to be an extreme aberration.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
To me the question isn't if Jackson will learn to hit threes, but if he is still going to be able to get to the basket in the NBA.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

To me the question isn't if Jackson will learn to hit threes, but if he is still going to be able to get to the basket in the NBA.

Hitting threes would help a lot with that.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Hitting threes would help a lot with that.

Seconding this, he has the athletism and passing already. A good 3-ball would ensure the triple threat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

It's not like there's an abundance of dudes that can match him in frame and footspeed. He's going to get bullied in the paint until he puts on more weight but he's a skilled passer and has a floater and some spin moves at his disposal. If he's aggressive enough he shouldn't have more than the normal adjustment period in the NBA.

DeimosRising posted:

And what, really, is the upper limit of improvement in the pros? I can think of a quite a few cases of guys who went from low 30s 3pt% to being sharpshooters, but only a small handful who dramatically improved at the line (Karl Malone notoriously went from a Shaq esque trash shooter in college and his rookie year to slightly below average, and Chris Webber and Tyson Chandler made big leaps from bad to above average, but not until they'd been in the league for nearly a decade). Really in either case you're talking probably a 10% upper limit realistically, which is a much bigger relative improvement from 3.

Tim Duncan bounced between 59 and 80% for his career but settled around 70% towards the end.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah that's what I tend to believe. I all the time see people saying "well what about Winslow, Stanley Johnson" and like, I get the comparison, but Jackson's just so much more skilled than they were in college in finishing in a wide variety of manners.

--

I'm currently falling into a homer trap with Markkanen but man I really love this dude. I mean like we know what he can do offensively but he just defensively shut ASU down today. I guess they aren't exactly a talent laden but like dude was just wreaking havoc on them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

EvanTH posted:

I'm sayin' that scouting was largely correct, to this day, despite his years of insanity training and recovery with breathing tubes suspended inside a plexiglass tube filled with a mysterious green fluid he's still a below average shooter and it only doesn't matter because of God-like ability at everything else

This sport might be unwatchable if LeBron was a good shooter

A quick look at basketball reference shows LeBron has a career 50% shooting percentage, and from to 2009-present it's well over 50%. That doesn't sound below average to me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Charlz Guybon posted:

A quick look at basketball reference shows LeBron has a career 50% shooting percentage, and from to 2009-present it's well over 50%. That doesn't sound below average to me.

They mean jump shooter. He's always been a terror shooting at or close to the rim.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

They mean jump shooter. He's always been a terror shooting at or close to the rim.

Fun fact, Lebron is shooting 77% at the rim this year!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Charlz Guybon posted:

Straight FG% isn't a good metric of someone's shooting ability because it doesn't account for shot selection. The highest FG% in the league is typically held by a center like Deandre Jordan who doesn't take shots from more than a few feet out.

League average 3p shooting has hovered around .350-.360 over the last 15 years or so. LeBron shot ~.330 from three over his first 8 years the league, but he's improved to .367 over his last five years. LeBron is perpetually a few points below league average in FT% and his playoffs 3p% sinks to ~.320.

He's one of the greatest finishers in league history around the rim (personal opinion, don't have stats to back it up. Jordan was better), and one of the best at putting the ball in the hoop (TS% this season is .617, Curry's is .619) but shooting is not one of his strengths, and in the past has been about his only weakness (aside from deliberately overheated arenas).

I think Kevin Durant is better at putting the ball in the hoop than any other player I have ever seen, better than Jordan or LeBron, but he can't pass like LeBron or defend like either of them.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Durant and Lebron are both supernaturally good finishers at the rim.

Min 3 shot attempts per game in the restricted area:

Durant and Lebron and then a load of centers.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I don't know what's more shocking - Jerryd Bayless' presence on that list, or that he's only 28 years old.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Gobias Ind. posted:

I don't know what's more shocking - Jerryd Bayless' presence on that list, or that he's only 28 years old.

He's had perpetual old man look for years

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I can see the Markelle Fultz D'angelo "The Mussel" Russell comparisons. They both play point in the same sort of smooth and cool way, everything looks really relaxed and they sort of bop with the ball. Markelle is just more athletic, faster, bouncier, and better, better at getting to the basket, better at shooting, just better, maybe not a better passer, but it's washington, so who knows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Now LaMarcus is out with a heart arrhythmia

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gobias Ind. posted:

Wait he's younger than me? What the actual gently caress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I can see the Markelle Fultz D'angelo "The Mussel" Russell comparisons. They both play point in the same sort of smooth and cool way, everything looks really relaxed and they sort of bop with the ball. Markelle is just more athletic, faster, bouncier, and better, better at getting to the basket, better at shooting, just better, maybe not a better passer, but it's washington, so who knows.

Fultz is really built to destroy the modern NBA defenses provided his knee is not a permanent issue or that he's not slower than we think because he's going against college dudes.

But yeah if the Lakers get him via some miracle (I don't trust them to draft him even if they get the first anymore) he would probably be more likely to be the offensive guard with D'Angelo still passing.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 11, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Fultz is really built to destroy the modern NBA defenses provided his knee is not a permanent issue or that he's not slower than we think because he's going against college dudes.

But yeah if the Lakers get him via some miracle (I don't trust them to draft him even if they get the first anymore) he would probably be more likely to be the offensive guard with D'Angelo still passing.

I can see that happening, it's essentially running the good passing not quite so quick or strong or athletic baby James Harden who's a good passer at pg while the not root beer barrel shaped James Harden who never the less can pass starts the play without the ball, and the distraction of him alone could lead to lots of easy baskets and open threes. The fact they both shoot threes really well off the dirbble would probably trigger a that's not fair clause and default the pick to the last rigged winner, The Cleveland Cavaliers.

Any team who drafts josh jackson and expects him to be a good three point shooter might be in for a shock. His shooting form is bad, and not bad in that he needs to turn his body a quarter of a circle to shoot, like Lonzo Ball, but that he almost has to hold the balll at arms length to measure the distance to the hoop before he shoots. The spotVU studies say that defender distance for an open three is 4 feet. And if he's giving them an extra 1.5 feet, hes going to have a hard time finding a comfortable open three.

And if you can only make wide open threes yet you're athletic and long and so on, that makes you Reggie Bullock. That's ignoring Jackson's defense and pasing and so on, of course.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ouch, that is rough on the shooting predictions for Jackson. It is unfair, he was perfect for the 90s where the ability to get to the basket was king.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Josh Jackson is a less broken MKG, which is a borderline all-star player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Josh Jackson is a less broken MKG, which is a borderline all-star player.

I think MKG is the star I have seen the least so maybe this is why I am not thinking of it.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Depending on fit I think he may actually still go #1 after the combine etc...teams will talk themselves into him

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Bonzie Colson is a new age Barkley

Had an amazing game in the ACC finals and showed a great outside game as well. However just seems like he 100% will not translate into an NBA player.

What does everyone think of Jayson Tatum? He had a pretty amazing ACC tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Depending on fit I think he may actually still go #1 after the combine etc...teams will talk themselves into him

If he shoots well over the tournament, summer, etc. someone definitely might, especially if there are any serious doubts about Fultz's knee or Ball's shot.

He's a good defender, great passer, smart, athletic, good on and off the ball, etc.

• Locked thread