Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know, I just realized that in the aftermath of Chris' 'getting away,' he's still not completely free and clear - when the house fire is investigated and Rose is found dead on the road, their pictures will circulate via the media and that highway cop might remember the woman who gave him grief and bring up his dashcam footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You know, I just realized that in the aftermath of Chris' 'getting away,' he's still not completely free and clear - when the house fire is investigated and Rose is found dead on the road, their pictures will circulate via the media and that highway cop might remember the woman who gave him grief and bring up his dashcam footage.

They will be fine. The Grandfather in the black dude's body will likely be blamed for it("Classic Murder Suicide, open and shut case, it's the angry black gardener"). Even if Chris was brought in for questioning he could just go back to the house with the dead people and show them the video of the grandfather literally explaining what was happening, show them the video, the brain surgery room the dead blind dude still in the chair, and the brain surgery marks on the Grandmother and Grandfather's dead black bodies.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

They will be fine. The Grandfather in the black dude's body will likely be blamed for it("Classic Murder Suicide, open and shut case, it's the angry black gardener"). Even if Chris was brought in for questioning he could just go back to the house with the dead people and show them the video of the grandfather literally explaining what was happening, show them the video, the brain surgery room the dead blind dude still in the chair, and the brain surgery marks on the Grandmother and Grandfather's dead black bodies.

The only problem is I think the video was a live stream connected to a server in the hospital room. It plays the footage of the grandfather, but then cuts to the Blind man getting ready for surgery, who has a conversation with Chris via two-way audio. How this happened (or maybe why) with a CRT is a different question.

But yeah, I think Chris is mostly in the clear. The police that Rod talk to didn't even take notes, so they won't even have a record of Rod's claims.

edit: Chris may have left marks on Rose's neck from choking her, which could be traced.

I appreciate how it goes both ways. Chris may be safe, but he may not be safe. He'll never know. He'll certainly never trust white people again.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
It's also interesting to wonder whether the tech for brain transplanting will get out into the outside world. Being able to put someone's brain inside someone else's body has a ton of implications and would be pretty revolutionary.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I was just hinking about this but this film really does have a lot in common with early 1950s "social" horror and sci fi films than more modern day horror movies. Sure there is obviously a strong Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby vibe to the film but really it plays out almost beat for beat for early mid 50s sci fi. The big difference is there is a clear moralistic message at the end of the film and that's what I think makes it so similar to those films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

It's also interesting to wonder whether the tech for brain transplanting will get out into the outside world. Being able to put someone's brain inside someone else's body has a ton of implications and would be pretty revolutionary.

I still feel like it's most of the brain. I mean, Andre seems to go right back to being Andre after the camera flash, screaming to Chris to get the gently caress out. They say they can see through their eyes, but from The Sunken Place. Kinda doesn't work if the whole brain is gone. It's good they kept it vague, but it makes it a bit confusing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not really confusing it's like the story the extra which you can read here http://eidolon.net/?story=The%20Extra.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The whole idea of the sunken place and the brain transplants reminds me of the short story The Extra. It's also kind of Being John Malkovich too I guess.

^^^ holy gently caress beaten what are the odds

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not really confusing it's like the story the extra which you can read here http://eidolon.net/?story=The%20Extra.

No, I meant confusing in that how much of the brain is being transplanted to allow the new person most-control while the old consciousness is still looking. It's a confusing detail, not a confusing plot point.

Unless that story answers that, but I don't have time to read it this minute.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

What's the significance of the Japanese man at the party? Something about the model minority stereotype maybe?

Also noticed a small homage to Pulp Fiction when the music changed to the Childish Gambino song when the Music Supervisor credit came up during the opening titles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cacator posted:

What's the significance of the Japanese man at the party? Something about the model minority stereotype maybe?

That, and a direct reference to the final scenes of Rosemary's Baby.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I can't believe that it took me this long to realize that when the father said "black mold", it also could mean the "a hollow container used to give shape to molten or hot liquid material (such as wax or metal) when it cools and hardens." Which tanslates to the hollow container being of black people. Peele really did spend alot of time on this script.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Some comments I've read on another website. Some of these feel admittedly out there, but the movie is dense enough that they might actually be intended. I'll just spoiler block the lot of it.

During the party Rose is in red and white and Chris is in blue. Later at the lake Rose admits this is awful and they decide to leave. They say “I love you” and hug, bringing together the red white and blue to show us what real racial harmony and tolerance are supposed to look like in the United States. Until well, you know.

Very small, stupid detail that I thought was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen for no good reason - when Rose is sitting cross-legged on the bed at the end before Chris’s escape researching new prospects, she takes a single Fruit Loop, bites half of it, and puts the other half down.

When Rose is eating Froot Loops cereal and drinking milk separately, it’s because she can’t have the white (milk) and coloreds (froot loops) mixing at all. Even they have to be segregated. And if you notice, she takes 3 big sips of white for every one piece of colored, demonstrating her huge preference of white over color.
Malevolent and brilliant.

The previous dude who got kidnapped (Logan, I think?) having a tattoo behind his ear and holes in his earlobes from earrings that he no longer wears was a perfect little hint that the guy wasn’t always the tame loser he’d been brain-swapped into.

I believe Rose intentionally targeted people who had bad habits (i.e. smoking, nail biting). That way the dad could tell the same bullshit story “I used to have the bad habit of X, but then my wife hypnotized me. Now when I even think about it, it makes me want to throwup.” Probably used that line to get a lot of the victims to sit down for a session with the mom.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I was waiting for this thread when I saw the commercials. Surprised there's not a use of :frogout: in this thread so far... or maybe there was and I skipped it.

poo poo, it feels weird to want to see a movie again. And the spoilers help.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cacator posted:

Also noticed a small homage to Pulp Fiction when the music changed to the Childish Gambino song when the Music Supervisor credit came up during the opening titles.

There's lots of things you could take from it.

• Asia/Japan also have hosed up and racist view of black people
  • The problem isn't just rear end in a top hat white people
  • The history of tension between Asian immigrants and African Americans
  • Touching how in America East Asians are often seen as an ideal minority, most successfully blending into the existing social and power structures of the country
  • Showing that while race plays a large role in the whole hosed up situation, you can't forget that we're dealing with a bunch of rich assholes first and foremost
  • The lurking reminder that the patronizing racism at the heart of the villainous plot isn't just directed at black people, maybe one of the rich assholes previously longed to possess the hard working and industrious body of an Asian man after watching The Karate Kid a few times and desiring to know what it was like to know Karate

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

There's lots of things you could take from it.

• Asia/Japan also have hosed up and racist view of black people
  • The problem isn't just rear end in a top hat white people
  • The history of tension between Asian immigrants and African Americans
  • Touching how in America East Asians are often seen as an ideal minority, most successfully blending into the existing social and power structures of the country
  • Showing that while race plays a large role in the whole hosed up situation, you can't forget that we're dealing with a bunch of rich assholes first and foremost
  • The lurking reminder that the patronizing racism at the heart of the villainous plot isn't just directed at black people, maybe one of the rich assholes previously longed to possess the hard working and industrious body of an Asian man after watching The Karate Kid a few times and desiring to know what it was like to know Karate

And/or the white argument of "I'm not racist, I have Asian friends, I just don't like 'the bad ones'."

Not only that, but I really liked how the Asian guy seemed to instigate things more with the white people. He's the one that directly asks a question about the black experience (most likely out of excitement and to prepare for his chance at being black). It's like the nerdy kid who's friends with the bully and gets to pick on the other nerds because he will escape persecution himself. Also, he's rich; whether the hand is white or Asian, the money he's holding is still green. And in this group, intelligence/intellect are considered most valuable, so it's not surprising that a bunch of white people who base a conspiracy on stereotypes letting Asians in on the game based on stereotypes of Asians being inherently more intelligent.

Edit-- A note on the Bingo scene: every card held up had landed on a BINGO, as if, no matter who wins the silent auction, everyone's a winner, since they're "making society better".

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Now I want to see a deleted scene where Chris exclaims happily "I LOVE BINGO" much to the horror and chagrin of the "shoppers."

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I want to see the black guy with a Japanese accent

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

from reddit:

quote:

No, it's about the liberal wealthy elite gushing over black people/culture and black people judging other blacks because they don't "fit the bill." I saw it last night fully expecting to walk out based on what I was reading online. There's no guilt, there's no attacks on white people, no attacks on black people, just a really strange and creepy storyline. Go see it you might like it.

so why would you go see it?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

well why not posted:

from reddit:

so why would you go see it?

I feel like there are plenty of people out there who only consume media in order to feel superior to it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

I feel like there are plenty of people out there who only consume media in order to feel superior to it.

So SomethingAwful?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

weekly font posted:

It's also a testament to how good Allison Williams is in this movie which is pretty impressive since all I knew her from before this was getting her rear end eaten.
S-sorry, what?

Franchescanado posted:

I still feel like it's most of the brain. I mean, Andre seems to go right back to being Andre after the camera flash, screaming to Chris to get the gently caress out. They say they can see through their eyes, but from The Sunken Place. Kinda doesn't work if the whole brain is gone. It's good they kept it vague, but it makes it a bit confusing.
Pretty sure they have a line in there about how the operation leaves in the brainstem and most of the lower brain, which IIRC mainly handles standard bodily functions. Breathing, heartbeat, etc.

Cacator posted:

Remember the 80's when everyone seemed kind of convinced that Japan was going to be the future world economic superpower? Maybe Japanese was "in" then just like black is "in" now:tinfoil:
Obviously that's pretty unlikely but I like the idea of the family having been doing it for quite some time and changing which race they choose as they go on

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:nws:http://morningafter.gawker.com/while-you-watched-the-globes-allison-williams-got-her-1678892482:nws:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
not gonna lie I kinda wonder how many goons are seeing this thinking it's about a frog

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I'm in love with Allison Williams. Not because of that rear end-eating revelation, just in general.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Remember the 80's when everyone seemed kind of convinced that Japan was going to be the future world economic superpower? Maybe Japanese was "in" then just like black is "in" now:tinfoil:
Obviously that's pretty unlikely but I like the idea of the family having been doing it for quite some time and changing which race they choose as they go on

The brief video mentions that they only recently perfected the brain/personality procedure after trying for years and years. I dig the idea too, but I think the movie implies that Dean pretty much became a neurosurgeon so that his dad could be one of the first to successfully undergo the procedure.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I think I'm in love with Allison Williams. Not because of that rear end-eating revelation, just in general.

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what movies you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what movies you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. I will probate the gently caress out of you disgusting orangutan-rear end motherfuckers, Jesus Christ, just don't do it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what movies you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what movies you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. I will probate the gently caress out of you disgusting orangutan-rear end motherfuckers, Jesus Christ, just don't do it.

Dude, I was just saying she's cute.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

You should read the rules of the forum real quick.

:thejoke:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Revelation? :lol:

Watch Girls.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 2, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vintersorg posted:

Revelation? :lol:

Watch Girls.

Or don't. It's definitely not for everyone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i stopped watching girls when jorma hosed allison williams cuz that'd never happen irl sorry.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

The brief video mentions that they only recently perfected the brain/personality procedure after trying for years and years. I dig the idea too, but I think the movie implies that Dean pretty much became a neurosurgeon so that his dad could be one of the first to successfully undergo the procedure.
I'm just imagining his time in med school now.
:eng101: : So, why did you want to pursue neurosurgery as a career choice?
:v:: So that I can implant my elderly father's brain into a young virile black man.
:eng101:: ...Huh.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
It would have been a much duller movie if they did this, but why is everyone seeming to be purposefully antagonistic to Chris and leaving clues everywhere on purpose? Even if they were super confident that there was no way that Chris could escape, why bother? Seems like they did a lot of work to freak him out and tell him the plot. They could have literally asked him to come down to the basement/gameroom and dropped him right there if they just acted normal.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
33% understanding that he's hosed, 34% being jerks who couldn't be subtle if their lives depended on it, and 33% doing things this way proves they are the superior people who deserve to have their brains scooped out and transfered into those who don't know how good they have things.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BobKnob posted:

It would have been a much duller movie if they did this, but why is everyone seeming to be purposefully antagonistic to Chris and leaving clues everywhere on purpose? Even if they were super confident that there was no way that Chris could escape, why bother? Seems like they did a lot of work to freak him out and tell him the plot. They could have literally asked him to come down to the basement/gameroom and dropped him right there if they just acted normal.

According to Stephen Root, it's all part of the process that helps prepare them for a successful transplant. The hypnotism and acceptance of the situation seem to both be vital components, plus while they're prepping the victim for the procedure they do still have to put on a nice party/auction for all the local rich people.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gyges posted:

According to Stephen Root, it's all part of the process that helps prepare them for a successful transplant. The hypnotism and acceptance of the situation seem to both be vital components, plus while they're prepping the victim for the procedure they do still have to put on a nice party/auction for all the local rich people.

This reminds me of the stories about extermination camp overseers telling people that the gas chambers were just delousing them so they wouldn't panic, which would of course work only once because when no one ever came back and a pile of corpses had to be carried out and buried or torched, the other inmates would cotton on pretty quick. Such announcements are either an urban legend developed to add tactical realism to the Holocaust, or the overseers continued making them for the reason people do most things - pure inertia and formal convention.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BobKnob posted:

The same reason that a lot of well-meaning white people who mean no ill will are incapable of talking to a black person without a bunch of awkward microagressions. They can't help it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DeimosRising posted:

This reminds me of the stories about extermination camp overseers telling people that the gas chambers were just delousing them so they wouldn't panic, which would of course work only once because when no one ever came back and a pile of corpses had to be carried out and buried or torched, the other inmates would cotton on pretty quick. Such announcements are either an urban legend developed to add tactical realism to the Holocaust, or the overseers continued making them for the reason people do most things - pure inertia and formal convention.

That's, uh, not an urban legend. At Auschwitz, new arrivals would be split into two groups-healthy young-to-middle aged men and women, and children, the elderly, the sick, and the frail. Those capable of work were sent to be worked to death at adjacent camps, while everyone else would be routed to the 'showers'. And because they were new arrivals, they wouldn't know that nobody came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"add tactical realism to the Holocaust"

• Locked thread