Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God I am getting absolutely wrecked by some basic mobs on the plateau.

I love it. Totally have to change my approach to how I play Zelda

Can report that the framerate drops I was having have been, for the most part, resolved by the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i hope i can play this soon

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015
poo poo, I'm actually glad they ended up cutting the Wii U's drat screen/controller thing out. gently caress that thing, it's uncomfortable, and distracting. Games like good ol' StarFox were ruined because of it imo. Just let me turn on some Zelda, sit back with a normal fuckin' controller and play. Hell ya.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You'll change your mind when you see the map.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Well yeah I mean it would have been a lie also, just a vaguely more plausible one. That said I wouldn't write off any weird performance poo poo out of hand in a game where attacking an enemy sometimes causes a literal 1 second long hitch

thats intentional, man. though I do miss the accompanying musical notes

gonna grab a 5 hour energy on the way home and really sink my teeth into this poo poo tonight. cannot WAIT.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ya like the map is a literal wii u tablet with a map on it, they just show it on the screen instead of on the thing you are holding in your hand. its dumb as heck.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also as much as "dark souls of" is overused this is literally zelda dark souls. they did it. get hype.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the switch is the dark souls of consoles

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I really don't think so, this is distinct from the frame pause when you hit an enemy a la Wind Waker. I think it's a physics issue or something since it usually happens when you're about to ragdoll an enemy and the amount of hitch varies widely.

SumTingWong
Feb 11, 2015

The Walrus posted:

ya like the map is a literal wii u tablet with a map on it, they just show it on the screen instead of on the thing you are holding in your hand. its dumb as heck.

I know, I've seen the screenshots, and I'm sure the map is going to be large and all that. I'd still rather just hit Start and pull up the map or something for a check every now and then, then being forced to use that beast of a controller.

Sure, I guess the option to use it or not would have been fine, but w/e.

I do agree that they are full of poo poo about the reason for not including it though lmao

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I still can't believe there's finally an extreme sports game worthy of assuming the crown of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I sure hope there's another performance patch due tomorrow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One thing to mention is that there is an option to swap the running and jump buttons, which I took.

Feels a lot more natural to how I would 'normally' play a Zelda game.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Walrus posted:

also as much as "dark souls of" is overused this is literally zelda dark souls. they did it. get hype.

I've been getting a team Ico vibe from it. It might be the muted colours and the sounds of the wind.

Either way this seems dope as gently caress.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hm that would make my constant jumping instead of attacking on the pro controller a little easier to manage, good call

Shoehead posted:

I've been getting a team Ico vibe from it. It might be the muted colours and the sounds of the wind.

Either way this seems dope as gently caress.

aesthetically and even maybe thematically sure, very much so. but in terms of gameplay - both the actual minute to minute game play as well as the overall design philosophy - its dark souls.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

The Walrus posted:

gonna grab a 5 hour energy on the way home and really sink my teeth into this poo poo tonight. cannot WAIT.

https://my.mixtape.moe/trsulp.webm

It's obviously the ragdoll physics calculations locking it up.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen that in 4 hours of gameplay, maybe it's later areas or their game is unpatched or or or. I've noticed the pause on kills but it is about a quarter second, similar to WW.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Walrus posted:

aesthetically and even maybe thematically sure, very much so. but in terms of gameplay - both the actual minute to minute game play as well as the overall design philosophy - its dark souls.

poo poo, you can jump and climb and swim and glide and ride horses and bend physics and pause the game during combat in Dark souls?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

"Future Worst Zelda Game"

lol, nooooooooope

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

poo poo, you can jump and climb and swim and glide and ride horses and bend physics and pause the game during combat in Dark souls?

ya you can, that's what I meant

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's the autosave every ~30 seconds that really matches the feeling of dark souls the most

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

"Future Worst Zelda Game"

lol, nooooooooope

You underestimate people's ability to hate. I promise you 3 months from now people will be talking about how lovely and disappointing BotW is and how it's just more proof that AAA/Nintendo/whatever gaming sucks and all reviewers are paid-off shills.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Walrus posted:

I haven't seen that in 4 hours of gameplay, maybe it's later areas or their game is unpatched or or or. I've noticed the pause on kills but it is about a quarter second, similar to WW.

I think I've reached well over 10 hours and I've had that happen in two areas so far. Like, four or five times total. If you kill something huge by using a melee move with huge knockback and you're in a densely forested area and/or with more enemies close to you, there will be a second worth of hitch.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If anything, Breath's going to show just how mediocre Twilight Princess was, and how bad Skyward Sword was.

"Wait, we were championing THESE games?!"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CJ posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. FIFTEEN hearts per row? What is this bullshit.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

SumTingWong posted:

poo poo, I'm actually glad they ended up cutting the Wii U's drat screen/controller thing out. gently caress that thing, it's uncomfortable, and distracting. Games like good ol' StarFox were ruined because of it imo. Just let me turn on some Zelda, sit back with a normal fuckin' controller and play. Hell ya.

They used the tablet screen in Wind Waker HD and while I didn't hate it, I didn't feel like it provided much benefit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kirios posted:

If anything, Breath's going to show just how mediocre Twilight Princess was, and how bad Skyward Sword was.

We're already at that point. :thejoke:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My hot take is the game looks pretty cool, and good on Nintendo for not remaking OoT for a fifth time, but i get the feeling that reviewers are getting influenced by the brand.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

LionArcher posted:

Also, Reddit is reporting Walmart has it on sale for $25. Just a heads up

Got one at that price, thanks for the mention.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJ posted:

My hot take is the game looks pretty cool, and good on Nintendo for not remaking OoT for a fifth time, but i get the feeling that reviewers are getting influenced by the brand.

Trust Austin Walker, who has bounced off of pretty much every Zelda since Majora, but also remember that he's like me where he's a big weirdboy who loves exploring virtual forests and looking at sunsets.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Walrus posted:

hm that would make my constant jumping instead of attacking on the pro controller a little easier to manage, good call

I would rather it be aesthetically like SOTC and Ico and mechanically DS, than the other way around. Could you imagine super bleak Zelda?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My hot take on the gamepad-gutting:

A lot of features in the game were made with the gamepad in mind, it's so obvious it was dropped for the switch. It's a good-loving call, tho. Game feels way better without having to stare down at your lap for the map or holding it up to try and scope out a location.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJ posted:

Yikes, that's bad.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My hot take on the gamepad-gutting:

A lot of features in the game were made with the gamepad in mind, it's so obvious it was dropped for the switch. It's a good-loving call, tho. Game feels way better without having to stare down at your lap for the map or holding it up to try and scope out a location.

The scope-out i agree with. Putting pins on the map or sifting through my inventory they could've kept.

But gotta sell those switches I guess.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Kirios posted:

It's me, I'm the one who hasn't liked a console Zelda since Wind Waker. But to be fair, Midna was pretty awesome; she was the best part of Twilight Princess and I had a brief hope that they were finally ditching the 'let's rescue Zelda' thing with a new hosed up princess. And Skyward Sword on Dolphin is apparently beautiful; the poo poo graphics it had were the console's fault and not the game's. I also had to give Skyward Sword some credit for actually changing up Zelda's role.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

deadly_pudding posted:

Trust Austin Walker, who has bounced off of pretty much every Zelda since Majora, but also remember that he's like me where he's a big weirdboy who loves exploring virtual forests and looking at sunsets.

I hate open world games with bland uninspired gameplay like Skyrim. The only reason i'm curious is that in the Giant Bomb video he said there's an island where you get stripped of all your gear and have to complete a task with what you can find there. I'm interested in if the places of interest all switch up the gameplay like that or if it's an Ubisoft style collectathon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJ posted:

I hate open world games with bland uninspired gameplay like Skyrim. The only reason i'm curious is that in the Giant Bomb video he said there's an island where you get stripped of all your gear and have to complete a task with what you can find there. I'm interested in if the places of interest all switch up the gameplay like that or if it's an Ubisoft style collectathon.

I hate bland open world games too which is part of why I am so excited for this game because it seems like it really sets itself apart from the crowd there and breathes a lot more life into the genre.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anyone know if you can play off of the WiiU gamepad and use a pro controller? Or do you have to play with the gamepad controls?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This game's only flaw is that it doesn't have Achievements/Trophies :/ for gently caress's sake Nintendo, its 2017...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Also wtf is with the voice acting? Did they hire them off Craigslist?