Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
My Amazon Wii U digital code order now says 'Available on March 2, 2017 at 9:00 PM (US/Pacific)'. I assume that's for preloading and I won't be able to play the game until midnight. It'll probably take that long to download anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

LeninVS posted:

The performance of the game on WiiU is garbage. Framerates drop like crazy if you attempt to do anything but look into the distance without moving.

Nintendo, cleverly, only gave out Switch copies for reviews.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Doesn't matter if it's the Wii U version or Switch. Just got the game, playing the Switch version on a TV, and the framerate issues are horrible. This is post-patch too.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I have what might be a dumb tech question: would Nintendo, if they wanted to, be able to release a patch down the road that would "true up" the 900p of the switch to 1080p? Or is that impossible due to the hardware?

I'm so confused on these framerate takes, half people saying the issues are basically solved except in very crowded instances, half saying it's horrible. It's.like the one thing people can't agree on.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Switch supports 1080p docked, Zelda just chooses to render at 900p

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

sigmachiev posted:

I have what might be a dumb tech question: would Nintendo, if they wanted to, be able to release a patch down the road that would "true up" the 900p of the switch to 1080p? Or is that impossible due to the hardware?

I'm so confused on these framerate takes, half people saying the issues are basically solved except in very crowded instances, half saying it's horrible. It's.like the one thing people can't agree on.

It's presumably 900 cause it ran worse at 1080. They probably don't want you to see what they saw.

There are framerate drops in certain instances, one being pretty much as soon as you get control in the world, which is what's probably instantly hitting people.
At least early on, there aren't many issues with the handheld mode's performance.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

sigmachiev posted:

I'm not putting a lot of weight in the frame rate complaints just because people are always big babies about frame rate.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Been playing for hours now.

I have done absolutely nothing this game and it's amazing :swoon:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm ok with a bold-horrible framerate. Bold-italic-horrible though? That's where I get off the train

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm not putting a lot of weight in the frame rate complaints just because people are always big babies about frame rate.

Yeah, frame rate bullshit is something I'll do with my PC games but with this one I'm content on finding out for myself tomorrow morning.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ymgve posted:

Doesn't matter if it's the Wii U version or Switch. Just got the game, playing the Switch version on a TV, and the framerate issues are horrible. This is post-patch too.

Considering the number of fantastic reviews it's received, even by the most nitpicky irl autistic youtubers, I call complete bullshit on the "horrible" framerate issues.

Blighttown in DS1 had horrible framerate issues. Batman Arkham Knight pc has horrible framerate issues. They were mentioned in most reviews. Nintendo doesn't get a free pass at all, and is way less influential than Sony, EA or Activision (to name some) have ever been on "gaming journalism".

Infinitum posted:

Been playing for hours now.

I have done absolutely nothing this game and it's amazing :swoon:

HOW'S THE loving poo poo HORRIBLE ROTTEN VAGINA FRAMERATE TREATING YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Gumball Gumption posted:

As a seasoned nintendo player who eagerly played games that would slow to a crawl whenever more than 4 objects were on the screen at a time, frame rates have to be really goddamned bad to kill a game for me. I remember playing half life on my computer back in the day waiting 2 minutes to load a zone while playing at 12 fps and still having a good time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kawabata posted:

HOW'S THE loving poo poo HORRIBLE ROTTEN VAGINA FRAMERATE TREATING YOU

Patch took care of most of it, haven't had an issue at all once I got out of the starting area. :toot:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
guys in getting a switch

i pay in an hour and can take it home at midnight :3:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I only seem to get framerate problems now (barring a hitch here or there) when it's raining heavily and there's a lot of NPCs or mobs around. It chugs preeeetty bad then. But other than that specific instance it runs decently enough. The control scheme feels a little awkward to use sometime though, which is really my main complaint about the game so far.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone on Wii U confirm framerate issues?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

eonwe posted:

guys in getting a switch

i pay in an hour and can take it home at midnight :3:

Same, maybe.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Please put this in the OP, thank you

https://twitter.com/Dominos_UK/status/837471352915288064

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

corn on the cop posted:

You could put a Big Rigs cartridge in a Zelda box and it would score at least a 93 on MetaCritic.

Plenty of games in the Zelda franchise have gotten average, fair, or middling reviews. And I'm not just talking the CD-i games.

The idea that Zelda has a magical shield against criticism is unjustified. If anything, it's the fanbase that clings to extreme viewpoints as to the franchise's quality, not reviewers.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Tonight I get to find out if I'm too old to stay awake past midnight. My odds aren't good, but goddamnit I gotta try.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man now i want to eat PIZZA and play ZELDA

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Popete posted:

I played it and it does at points but they're not bad enough to ruin the game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Popete posted:

It has them.

The Switch has them at the same places though. Only way you get out of framerate issues is using an undocked Switch so it plays at 700p, but then it apparently looks kind of gunky in ways the WiiU version doesn't.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Popete posted:

Both reviews and individual reports seem to indicate that framerate issues are similar on both consoles and got better after the day 1 patch.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Plenty of games in the Zelda franchise have gotten average, fair, or middling reviews. And I'm not just talking the CD-i games.

The idea that Zelda has a magical shield against criticism is unjustified. If anything, it's the fanbase that clings to extreme viewpoints as to the franchise's quality, not reviewers.

Skyward Sword I think is a sore sticking point still, the game had large problems that were glossed over in reviews. It took me a long time to muscle through and finish it.

My enduring disappointment for high reviews is still the original GTA 4 though, once the fun of the rag doll physics wore off it was so blah. Thank goodness the expansions were so much better.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kawabata posted:

Both reviews and individual reports seem to indicate that framerate issues are similar on both consoles and got better after the day 1 patch.

They definitely got BETTER but don't take that to mean they're gone in entirety. It still drops frames pretty often, don't expect a rock-solid 30 here. Entirely playable, however, and most of the time barely noticeable (besides the aformentioned heavy storms which chug like hell)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't order Pizza directly from in game? 0/10 worst game ever

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MokBa posted:

I would've called it "Future best then worst then best" but that was very long.

Future Best/Worst/Best Zelda Game

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Holy gently caress

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

ColdPie posted:

Holy gently caress

Right? There's no pizza girl with an rear end like that

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Check the second post. :angel:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Tracked down my Switch shirt. I don't know if the chests spawn in the same place for all, but mine was in view of two guardians next to the shrine in the ruins.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macintosh HD posted:

All the reviewers are saying cliche things like "every bit of terrain you can see you can climb/reach/etc" but no one is saying how the game's boundaries work.

So uh how do those boundaries work? What prevents me from falling off the edge of the world

EDIT: I realize this is pointless to ask but there are 13 hours between now and when i pick mine up and I'm getting squirrely

I'd guess mountains so high that you can't climb them even with a maxed out stamina meter. Or maybe mountains on one side, ocean on the other.

LeninVS posted:

I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I read these reviews.
The game is great, but it has some very large problems. The performance of the game on WiiU is garbage. Framerates drop like crazy if you attempt to do anything but look into the distance without moving.
It plays like every other great open world game since 2009.

The game is fun, its worth playing. But 10/10 it is not.
The hype has taken over peoples brains, or they are paid shills.

Part of it, I'm sure, is the excitement of a 3D Zelda game that finally isn't a hand-holding theme park ride through the exact path the developers want you to take. But a lot of the reviews paint it as something that offers more freedom in how you approach things than most other modern open-world games, especially given the ways it expects you to play with its physics. But again, I haven't played it yet, so maybe all of that is overblown?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any video confirmation of the day one patch making the frame rate better?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Since all the reviews I'm seeing seem to focus on the Switch, I haven't seen this answered for the WiiU.

Is there anything on the tablet screen when playing? Map? Inventory? I really liked managing my inventory on the tablet in Windwaker and Twilight HD.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Since all the reviews I'm seeing seem to focus on the Switch, I haven't seen this answered for the WiiU.

Is there anything on the tablet screen when playing? Map? Inventory? I really liked managing my inventory on the tablet in Windwaker and Twilight HD.

Still image of a Nintendo Switch

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snuffman posted:

A blinking notification that says "tap here to play on gamepad." Upon tapping, the game outputs to the gamepad, and the notification goes to the TV. "tap the gamepad to play on TV"

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Tapping on the WiiU pad just switches between TV and game pad display modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Harrow posted:

I'd guess mountains so high that you can't climb them even with a maxed out stamina meter. Or maybe mountains on one side, ocean on the other.

Makes sense. That's what I started to guess, as well. I'll find out tomorrow morning!