Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
World Trigger is so good. It's hard sometimes keeping track of all the characters though. Also the author's poor health is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

So I finished the Toradora anime. I really liked it a lot, though some of the drama in the second half wasn't told as clearly as I would have liked. They never really explained why Minori was interested in Takasu. It seemed like she gave no fucks until suddenly she was crushing on him in the second half. I also don't really understand what made Taiga stop liking glasses guy. From what I understand she talked with him about something related to Takasu? I guess she just slowly over time realized she liked Takasu more, but it wasn't shown much. I also was hoping that Kitamura (his friend) would hook up with one of the other girls, since it always kinda bugs me when the MC of romance anime/manga gets literally all the main girl characters.

Also, what the gently caress is it with romance anime/manga and the girl randomly having to leave for some contrived reason at the end?

I still liked it a lot though, even if I kind of preferred the first half. The main couple is probably one of the most satisfying I've seen in a romance anime/manga. Like, I could actually see them marrying each other since we already know they feel comfortable essentially living together.

Hrm, personally I only read the novels, which were pretty much brimming with details, but maybe you'd get something out of reading the Reddit Christmas Club threads, where people discuss stuff like character motivation. The novel ending was also different from the anime one, to some degree, since the anime "caught up" with the novel release and got developed in parallel the last book or two. A lot of people tend to find Ami the most interesting character on rewatches, by the way. My favourite by far, at least.

And also, the author's other big series Golden Time has been animated as well. Another shounen/seinen romance. As usual the novel version was a billion times better, but I don't think there are translations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the one part in Toradora where Kugimiya Rei beats the poo poo out of one of her love rivals out of nowhere. I could take or leave the rest of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like that instead of doing a school play or haunted house or café, they made a wrestling show for the cultural festival. That was great.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New Promised Neverland chapter confirms the theory that the orphanage is inside a larger prison..

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

RatHat posted:

World Trigger is so good. It's hard sometimes keeping track of all the characters though. Also the author's poor health is a bummer.

I'd been reading the recent chapters without context and wasn't really into it (that disinterested puckered lip face that everyone makes!) but I picked up the first couple volumes and started to enjoy it. It's nice that the main character is a useless milktoast and is overshadowed by alien Naruto and childhood friend sniper girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in kimetsu no yaiba, schoolgirl nezuko owns so incredibly hard

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

New Promised Neverland chapter confirms the theory that the orphanage is inside a larger prison..

Well that was a fun 25 weeks. Oh well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all this means is that the front gate is out. none of them have any idea if the entire set of farms is enclosed, just that they are connected to a hub the kids must never enter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm curious what the recently-killed Sister left them and how it will be useful. It'll obviously end up being the difference between success and failure at some point.

So far it seems like there are two elements Mama hasn't foreseen - Ray's device that will disable the trackers and whatever the Sister left them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
U19's Jump Start finale sums up everything about WSJ that I hate; it's a story dragged out for weeks on end that ends with the object of the MC's affections being taken away anyway. The best in unintended meta-commentary on Shueshia's absolutely appalling handling of their product.

It'd be one thing if his [stand] actually did something interesting other than just be a sewing needle and thread but nope.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It was good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

coathat posted:

It was good.

At doing what, exactly? If it's aiming for comedy it's got the aim of a storm trooper with a back problem, if it's aiming to be serious then it fell flat on it's arse with the "Hey, ever think the far right was Nazis?" bullshit as of page 8, if it's aiming to be a good story it's pacing sees that doesn't happen and if it's aiming to be a good Stand Battle comic then it fails utterly because the stand is boring.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 2, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
New jump series Dr. Stone

it looks fun and has good art

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yep. Pretty rock solid all round :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

We're supposed to believe these guys were frozen with nothing but their minds to keep them company for literally thousands of years and they're still sane?

edit: Like I could maybe buy 10-20 years, though even that would be really stretching it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

all this means is that the front gate is out. none of them have any idea if the entire set of farms is enclosed, just that they are connected to a hub the kids must never enter.

The guy who said they're all trapped inside a prison within a prison within yet another huge prison was right all along! and we're never going to leave it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol the beelzebub guy only has 1 set of characters

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

We're supposed to believe these guys were frozen with nothing but their minds to keep them company for literally thousands of years and they're still sane?

edit: Like I could maybe buy 10-20 years, though even that would be really stretching it.

they have fuckin STRONK willpower dude they are brains as gently caress

maybe you or i couldnt. but they can. im 10000000% sure

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Alder posted:

The guy who said they're all trapped inside a prison within a prison within yet another huge prison was right all along! and we're never going to leave it

YOU'RE never going to leave it. I absolved myself of Jump's bullshit. GNs for me from now on.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Law Cheetah posted:

New jump series Dr. Stone

it looks fun and has good art

What I like the most about this series is that the two protaognists are being super bros to each other. Like world has gone to poo poo, things make no sense, they appear to have very little in common but it's like "Yo bro, whassup. Let's go take over the planet or something."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair we only have the guy's claim on that. He could have easily arsed it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Hungry Marie, I have faith that it will be really good, because Beelzebub was awesome and pretty much a perfect comedy-action manga.

ConanThe3rd posted:

To be fair we only have the guy's claim on that. He could have easily arsed it.

Well, the tree grew a bunch so it's been at least hundreds of years I think. I also think we're supposed to trust that the protagonist's friend was telling the truth.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Hungry Marie, I have faith that it will be really good, because Beelzebub was awesome and pretty much a perfect comedy-action manga.
same, that author has a lot of credit with me, my love for Beelzebub didn't necessarily always maintain its original levels but I still remember it as one of the best perfect action-comedy manga.

for the same reason i look forward to whatever the Assassination Classroom/Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro guy does next, though I honestly liked Neuro more even if it does kind of turn into DBZ at the end. You can't blame a manga for that, it happens a lot.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

same, that author has a lot of credit with me, my love for Beelzebub didn't necessarily always maintain its original levels but I still remember it as one of the best perfect action-comedy manga.

for the same reason i look forward to whatever the Assassination Classroom/Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro guy does next, though I honestly liked Neuro more even if it does kind of turn into DBZ at the end. You can't blame a manga for that, it happens a lot.

One thing I did like about Neuro though is that the battles were less the protagonist getting stronger and more getting weaker and struggling to keep up with everything by the end. That really worked well from what I remember.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dr. stone had a pretty good first chapter, and the sun-ken rock guy has real pretty art when he isn't delving into rapey poo poo. i'm down with this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i thought i recognised the art but the sun ken rock guy doing a WSJ manga seems insane

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It actually did maintain most of its quality throughout its run in my opinion. There were times I was worried it was going to head in the direction of being a more typical/cliche battle manga, but then it would always immediately defy that expectation and keep to its comedy roots. I think that it also managed to end at a pretty good point, before it risked becoming stale.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Jose posted:

i thought i recognised the art but the sun ken rock guy doing a WSJ manga seems insane

hes just drawing it, the guy who wrote eyeshield 21 is the writer

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Same.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Chapter 2 of Hungry Marie is floating around now and I am 100% sure it will be great and I am all in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, i really liked beelzebub but this just isn't grabbing me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Split-personality body switching seems fun, I'm for it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow Hungry Marie went in a place I was not expecting. That's awesome.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Not feeling Hungry Marie either.

Dr. Stone seems whacky enough for me to get behind.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rebuilding civilization starting from caveman tech is a new concept for a WSJ series at least. On that basis, and the writer's past work, I'm willing to give this one more breathing room than U19 which had nothing go for it.

It didn't blow me away, but it has a lot more potential, is what I'm getting at. Was Sun Ken Rock any good?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyre both good,
But theyre not weekly reading material.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sun Ken Rock had a good premise (random dude becomes gang leader by accident because he looks scary) and fun jokes and the rapidly got worse in the first 10 chapters with some really gross stuff for the sake of ~drama~ so I dropped it

Idk if it ever rebounded or what

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Erg posted:

Sun Ken Rock had a good premise (random dude becomes gang leader by accident because he looks scary) and fun jokes and the rapidly got worse in the first 10 chapters with some really gross stuff for the sake of ~drama~ so I dropped it

Idk if it ever rebounded or what

I adored early Sun Ken Rock and it was so funny before it just became endless rapes which was super hosed up and dark. Wonderful art though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I stumbled upon something amusing. Trying to recall where i've seen this type of narration and setup before.... Hmmm...

Alternative working title: The Twilight Limits