Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I need to go back and explore the Plateau properly, I just kind of wandered between shrines and did stuff on the way. I feel like I definitely missed something - there's a part at the bottom of the bottom-right cliff where the Old Man shows you how to cut down trees and you can use one as a bridge to cross over to a few baddies, and a bombable wall around the side hiding some arrows, and... that's it. Was there anything else there? I tried clmbing up the cliff to the shrine but that was not working out.

Went up there were some skelatons and I froze to death. Also old man won't give me itchy shirt even though I made a 10 minute spicy steak or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't want to take the plunge on a Switch right now since I have serious misgivings about it as a piece of hardware so I bought this for the WiiU so I would have all three of the post-apocalyptic robot fighting open world games available in March. Every time I see Zelda I hurt a little bit inside when I think about Metroid's demise, but since the game is getting stupid good reviews I figured I can deal.

Incidentally, since I took the trouble to pull my WiiU out of the closet, I decided to try Splatoon and the first game I joined filled up instantly, just like it did several months ago when I played it last. It makes me wonder, how many WiiU users are really going to switch over to the Switch?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Despera posted:

Went up there were some skelatons and I froze to death. Also old man won't give me itchy shirt even though I made a 10 minute spicy steak or whatever

It's gotta be a spicy fishy steak

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any who want to play more Nintendo games I guess since there won't be any more WiiU ones

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Despera posted:

Stone Talus down!!!!

Feeling like 90% of people on the plateu are going to miss him

Count me in the 90%.

Where on the plateau is he?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Question about great plateau shrines very early in the game. Theres a part where you need to stand on the elevated platform and mark 3 of them but can it be any shrine because some of them dont look like there on the actual gret plateau

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Got my Switch been playing this for like 4-5 hours now. Left the plateau and I haven't even seen a single horse yet. Almost zero frame rate issues and the ones I've had are barely even worth mentioning.

So far my favorite thing to do is to attack Bokoblin camp and trick them into setting themselves on fire

Edit:

Dexie posted:

Count me in the 90%.

Count me in on missing the rock dude, oh well

All of my deaths thus far have been from falling and drowning lol

Gorgolflox fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 3, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What do the numbers mean on your weapons? also I just got murdered by a big rock dude in the forest

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

bowmore posted:

What do the numbers mean on your weapons? also I just got murdered by a big rock dude in the forest

Attack power.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Dexie posted:

Count me in the 90%.

Spirit woods there's a indentation on the land, little valley with no trees and rocks the big Rock on the north side is him, you have to stand on him.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Despera posted:

If you go right to the summit of the cold mountain he gives you the itchy shirt as a reward for getting up there without freezing. I just made it up by cooking some hot food and chugging it on the way up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I bought this from Argos this morning (I live in the UK).
I've mostly played in handheld mode so far, but when I tried it docked the frame drops are frequent and severe, but easily fixable should Nintendo get around to it. I wouldn't be surprised if it got patched soon.

Basically the game uses a strict vsync mode, if it can maintain 30fps it will stick rigidly to it and pace the frames really cleanly, but if the game dips even one frame, the game will lock itself to 15 frames per second, because that way it still alternate even frames on the television's refresh rate (15FPS is 25% of 60hz). It's chuggy but it's consistent.
Most games stopped doing this method of vsync just because halving the framerate is a horrible compromise. BOTW can easily run at a much higher framerate than it currently does, it just needs to turn off vsync and let screen tearing happen (adaptive vsync) or use triple buffering.

In handheld mode, there are pretty much no drops in framerate at all.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I beat the stone talus by staying on his head when he's first coming up. I got like half his health down without having to try and climb him.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you go right to the summit of the cold mountain he gives you the itchy shirt as a reward for getting up there without freezing. I just made it up by cooking some hot food and chugging it on the way up.

Yeah I got it

El Burbo posted:

I beat the stone talus by staying on his head when he's first coming up. I got like half his health down without having to try and climb him.

You need a weapon with serious dps to do that much damage

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Despera posted:

Yeah I got it

You need a weapon with serious dps to do that much damage

I got a soldiers sword from a purple bokoblin somewhere near the forest. So that helped

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

wonder how long he'll last against the 72 attack Royal Guard Claymore I nicked from Hyrule Castle lol

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

My copy just arrived thank you Argos!

I'm just doing a 3rd Cave of Shadows run, but I'll be surprised if I end up with a more than 3 hearts wolf, this crap is ridiculous, and then I'll get the patch downloading, woohoo!

And Amazon says my guardian amiibo is out for delivery, so I'll get to see what that does too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Basically the game uses a strict vsync mode, if it can maintain 30fps it will stick rigidly to it and pace the frames really cleanly, but if the game dips even one frame, the game will lock itself to 15 frames per second, because that way it still alternate even frames on the television's refresh rate (15FPS is 25% of 60hz). It's chuggy but it's consistent.
Huh, I guess that's why the game feels like it's running at 15 fps in Kakariko. I'm on Wii U, but I assume that version uses the same vsync implementation.

I had very few performance issues in the first 4-5 hours, but then I entered the village and felt like I was in Blighttown all of a sudden.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

El Burbo posted:

I got a soldiers sword from a purple bokoblin somewhere near the forest. So that helped

Yeah that's how I killed him +bomb arrows. Probably impossible to kill him without. Has a bunch of one hit kills and climbing him is hard

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

has anyone tried non-Zelda amiibo to see what they do? I want to scan my Waluigi and Yoshi

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
This game is chugging with anywhere with grass can't wait for village

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I love when the piano in the background gives just the slightest hint of past Zelda music. This is incredible ambient music.

There's also a piano melody in some early cutscenes that unexpectedly adds a thudding bass at the very end that sends a chill down my spine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh man you can dye your clothes and the cutscene is great

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

has anyone tried non-Zelda amiibo to see what they do? I want to scan my Waluigi and Yoshi

I think non-zelda amiibo just gives random food

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nothing like sneaking into a bokogoblin camp and throwing a hot potato in the middle of a feast. :v:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Asking this again, anyone know all the "ability controls" listed in the load/save menu? I'm just missing the last one and the third from the top (right below shield surf).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Want to feel like a loving badass? Ride a horse and use something big and meaty like the Iron Sledgehammer. Z-Target your hapless prey, charge at them with your horse, and slam that club into their head :black101:.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Asking this again, anyone know all the "ability controls" listed in the load/save menu? I'm just missing the last one and the third from the top (right below shield surf).

The last one is on using amiibo (After you do the Great Plateau, just enable amiibo in the Shiekah Slate menu), and the third one is Charged Attacks, which you can pick up from the Shrine in Kakariko Village.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Want to feel like a loving badass? Ride a horse and use something big and meaty like the Iron Sledgehammer. Z-Target your hapless prey, charge at them with your horse, and slam that club into their head :black101:.

The last one is on using amiibo (After you do the Great Plateau, just enable amiibo in the Shiekah Slate menu), and the third one is Charged Attacks, which you can pick up from the Shrine in Kakariko Village.

poo poo, maybe I have amnesia and it was a different one? I definitely had charged attacks listed

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Doc Morbid posted:

Huh, I guess that's why the game feels like it's running at 15 fps in Kakariko. I'm on Wii U, but I assume that version uses the same vsync implementation.

I had very few performance issues in the first 4-5 hours, but then I entered the village and felt like I was in Blighttown all of a sudden.

Blighttown was just old fashioned bad programming, BOTW seems easily fixable. It's telling that the handheld mode has no problems at all despite having the same draw distances, grass, etc.

Great game though. It's a little thing but I love the brief slo-mo when you whack things, it makes the combat feel wonderful. I remember this from OoT way back in my childhood. So great. One of the little Zelda touches you wonder why nobody else has copied it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
early shrine quest question hateno fort

the dude in there gives you a clue about piercing a statue's gaze, but I can't find the statue to shoot with an arrow. assuming its something obvious I'm missing? Also while I'm asking questions has anyone found the treasure from the quest in the stable south of kakariko? I'm assuming it's in the mountains above that waterfall right there but I couldn't spot the cave after looking around a bunch

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh look another door in the middle of a field on top of a rock I wonder what could oh great 890 of these left

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I picked up the mini guide off my.nintendo for 10 gold coins. Unless you've got coins expiring soon with nothing else to spend them on, it's probably not worth it. It's just a control guide and high level overview of the game; no actual walkthroughs or anything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Blighttown was just old fashioned bad programming, BOTW seems easily fixable. It's telling that the handheld mode has no problems at all despite having the same draw distances, grass, etc.

Great game though. It's a little thing but I love the brief slo-mo when you whack things, it makes the combat feel wonderful. I remember this from OoT way back in my childhood. So great. One of the little Zelda touches you wonder why nobody else has copied it.
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death copied it of all things, and the Batman games. I love it, plenty (most) brawlers have hitstop but SP games can do the more extreme slow-mo for a second or so and pull it off, so it's odd that more haven't.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I spent a stupidly long time on trying to find the 10 cucco's. Top tip, the last one is on the clothing store roof (Sidequest Spoiler)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ITS MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA DAY BITCHES

I can't wait for my Switch to arrive! :):)

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

my brain's broken so it bothers me that i'm not constantly pressing a to roll while moving in a 3d zelda game but other than that gameMs fuckin so bomb!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
One hit killed by a skeleton picking up the head of another skeleton and throwing it at me. This game owns

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

my brain's broken so it bothers me that i'm not constantly pressing a to roll while moving in a 3d zelda game but other than that gameMs fuckin so bomb!!

I've been playing through Nioh recently so I pull out my binoculars EVERY TIME I want to lock onto some enemy.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I love my Skyrim GTA Portal Deus Ex SotC Pokemon Snap Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just saw the Memory Recall for that ruined garrison by the lake "Legend says an ancient voice resonates inside the sword. Can you hear it yet?" Please, no. Not Fi. NO NO NO ANYTHING BUT FI! :stonk: