Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

this is going to be a long goddamn day at work

Came in extra early so I can leave around 2 this afternoon. Gonna run over to Gamestop at 10 and pick up a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

eonwe posted:

same, friend - especially after waiting in line yesterday for a Long Time to get one of the few extra switches around here

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Wildtortilla posted:

Climbing bandana? Do items give/change abilities? This is the longest two weeks if my lifer until I can play this. :(

yeah there's item sets and poo poo and they give buffs or abilities, its neat.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Just got to the top (well almost, couldn't quite clear the spire because I only just got off the plateau) of Hyrule Castle

I didn't find any cool weapons or fashion :( But I found a bunch of money and fancy arrows so I guess it was a worthwhile excursion in the end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna get this on Wii U with a Pro Controller today or tomorrow, pretty goddamn excited. It looks so good and I'm glad to hear that you all seem to be having a ton of fun with it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

eonwe posted:

My work day is going by quickly and I hope your's does too, friend.

Should I play with my Wii U tablet or Pro controller w/ the gyro aiming being available?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Deep in Hyrule Castle and the music is absolutely amazing. Hanging out in Zelda's Room and the music is chilling

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mr E posted:

My work day is going by quickly and I hope your's does too, friend.

Should I play with my Wii U tablet or Pro controller w/ the gyro aiming being available?

You can play with either. There's a couple shrines where it'll ask you to go to the wii u tablet for gyro aiming but they are clearly marked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Having just left the plateau I think this is the champion of March's three post-apocalyptic robot killing open world games so far, and that's really saying something since the others are drat good too. It's so quiet and reflective, just the way I like it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Ugh Nintendo internet so slow

Said several million people simultaneously while all trying to download the same game and patches on a major launch day :v:.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my Switch and game and it's great obv. My only issue is the lack of an option to change targeting to a press to target press to cancel thing, and instead you have to hold it down. Pretty sure both 3DS remakes and WWHD had this option so unsure why BotW doesn't.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Escobarbarian posted:

Got my Switch and game and it's great obv. My only issue is the lack of an option to change targeting to a press to target press to cancel thing, and have to hold it down. Pretty sure both 3DS remakes and WWHD had this option so unsure why BotW doesn't.

Probably has something to do with the targeting button also being the raise your shield button.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

havenwaters posted:

Probably has something to do with the targeting button also being the raise your shield button.

Ahh, that does make sense. Only a mild issue, but still definitely not how I'd prefer to be playing. Oh well!

Still too busy exploring to go climb the first tower, love dis poo poo sooo much

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

goddamn just did the first dungeon and hoooooly gently caress this game owns.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Having just left the plateau I think this is the champion of March's three post-apocalyptic robot killing open world games so far, and that's really saying something since the others are drat good too. It's so quiet and reflective, just the way I like it.

Horizon, what's the other one?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bef posted:

Horizon, what's the other one?
Nier Automata.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Wildtortilla posted:

Climbing bandana? Do items give/change abilities? This is the longest two weeks if my lifer until I can play this. :(

Yup, several clothes items give you passive buffs. So far I've gotten one with an active element to it:
The Zora tunic lets you SWIM UP WATERFALLS AND IT'S DOPE AS gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I just saw a goddamn serpent dragon gracefully flying around Hylia Bridge, periodically diving into the lake for a drink :stare:.

It flew away before I could get close to him :negative:. At least I got a picture though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Korok are everywhere drat

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have the new Zelda. I know most of you area head of me, but I have the new Zelda, and I am happy :)

Its even on WiiU and I don't even care

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I just saw a goddamn serpent dragon gracefully flying around Hylia Bridge, periodically diving into the lake for a drink :stare:.

It flew away before I could get close to him :negative:. At least I got a picture though.

Yo, mate, wanna know what to do about that? A part of the game teaches you what to do and it's amazing, but it might take a while to stumble upon the teaching exercise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the WiiU version is fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I have the new Zelda. I know most of you area head of me, but I have the new Zelda, and I am happy :)

Ahead is a hard phrase to use in this game because there is SO MUCH you can do almost immediately

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yo, mate, wanna know what to do about that? A part of the game teaches you what to do and it's amazing, but it might take a while to stumble upon the teaching exercise.

Yes please :stare:.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does this really count as a speedrun? I edited your link so that it's time-stamped to part of the end boss fight where he dies as basic Link and then comes back with tons of hearts and equipment, like he stitched two different playthroughs together, and then uses that equipment (like the magical force field) to beat the boss.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes please :stare:.

Just hit it with an arrow. Doesn't matter what kind, just make sure you get a hit in and the thing will happen. No fighting.

Also, general pointer for y'all: when you get to the first village, talk to the guy that's not from that town, he'll have a stupid easy sidequest that opens a Very Important thing, and after that he will start helping you with another, way more interesting, sidequest that'll have opened up at that point.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 3, 2017

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Oh my god, discovering recipes is so fun :buddy:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm really glad it is so I don't have to shell out 300 just to play it

Love the exploring so far...and I'm not even that far in

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Just got to the top (well almost, couldn't quite clear the spire because I only just got off the plateau) of Hyrule Castle

I didn't find any cool weapons or fashion :( But I found a bunch of money and fancy arrows so I guess it was a worthwhile excursion in the end
the lower areas actually have a lot of the best equipment. Look for the Lockup and barracks, the Lockup even has a really easy boss fight (with health bar and everything) to get a very good and familiar piece of equipment. Didn't find any fashion myself though, sad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thinking of getting botw on Wii U. Without reading the last 10 pages, does it run/look good on the Wii U?

I would think Nintendo is above gimping it as a message to gamers that they should but a switch :ohdear:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thinking of getting botw on Wii U. Without reading the last 10 pages, does it run/look good on the Wii U?

I would think Nintendo is above gimping it as a message to gamers that they should but a switch :ohdear:
yes!!! It's fine on the Wii U!! This should be at the top of the OP because it gets asked every page (not getting on at u m8 just generally)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Killing guardians ownsownsowns

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I bought the Wii U FOR this game so it drat well better play good on it.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Lobok posted:

Does this really count as a speedrun? I edited your link so that it's time-stamped to part of the end boss fight where he dies as basic Link and then comes back with tons of hearts and equipment, like he stitched two different playthroughs together, and then uses that equipment (like the magical force field) to beat the boss.

I think they're just routing. The idea being that eventually skill level will reach a point where the death won't happen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The difference between the Wii U and the Switch version appears to be pretty much entirely resolution. As far as I've heard, they both have frame rate issues to about the same degree. It's just Wii U is 720p, Switch is 900p (or 720p in portable mode), that's about it. I'm pretty sure the draw distance is even about the same.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 3, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

All I've done so far is wander round, look at stuff, murder bokoblins, get toasted by a guardian and cook a spicy mushroom lunch. And find a poo poo-tier sword and bow.

And I'm having so much loving fun doing it!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You'd think that but they took out all the gamepad stuff with the Sheikah Slate so it wouldn't have an advantage over the Switch version. Consensus seems to be that it runs about equally badly on both consoles though.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
It's so weird that I was tech baby enough to get a Switch because I wanted to play in 900p with a few added sound effects, but tech illiterate enough not to be troubled by framerate stuff. I was reading "horrible" as taking serious fun away from the game and that is not at all the case. I don't really notice it. So for anyone on the fence for either version know that it should absolutely not be a deterrent.

Game is incredible by the way. So far it's everything I was hoping for, and that was on the level of "This better enter my personal canon."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

sidequest sidequest

Aaaaaaah I am so ready for this zelda

Too bad I'm still patching but SOON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My favorite thing in the game so far is when I bypassed a small puzzle by climbing over a wall. Like, instead of trying to open the door I just climbed a wall and got into the area I needed. It's so weirdly refreshing .