Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
hey boys :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yo

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I was visiting a friend on a 378 the other day and goddamn lmao @ all of you

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

being a SU has been fun as gently caress

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My life's not too bad-got picked up for grad school so I'll be doing that for the next two years.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Chichi if your reading this people care, call again any time.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Does one of you guys have access to SAROPS? I am working on a research paper and I recall seeing or having access to some sort of chart that essential laid out how far you could see a PIW from X distance in Y sea state. Maybe as a guideline? I looked through the addendum to the national SAR manual but am coming up dry. I am hoping to be able to cite something other than myself and personal knowledge.

I never played with SAROPS but would that or one of it's manuals/references have that sort of table?

edit: well AS I posted this, I found the table. Huzzah!

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 1, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good because I wasn't about to go in and help you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Good because I wasn't about to go in and help you.

I figured the guy who just got qualified would have known it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

I figured the guy who just got qualified would have known it.

All I saw was your name and that you were asking for something and had a blanket denial statement typed out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

All I saw was your name and that you were asking for something and had a blanket denial statement typed out.

OK? I'm glad you posted that I guess

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

We need a new thread someone do the honors because i cant figure out how on this loving awful app

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

We need a new thread someone do the honors because i cant figure out how on this loving awful app

Yep, I can't figure poo poo out in this app, either. If no one else makes one, then I'll try tomorrow or the next day :effort:

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Id almost rather keep this one rolling we are what nine pages deep after a year. Id say gently caress it if you cant read nine pages you probably shouldn't post. Maybe a thread refresh once a decade.:shrug:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Id almost rather keep this one rolling we are what nine pages deep after a year. Id say gently caress it if you cant read nine pages you probably shouldn't post. Maybe a thread refresh once a decade.:shrug:

gently caress it-might as well keep it then.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
You know what, I totally forgot you guys existed.

Keep on keeping on I suppose :shobon:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know what, I totally forgot you guys existed.

Keep on keeping on I suppose :shobon:

A real metaphor for the existence of the Coast Guard in general.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

A real metaphor for the existence of the Coast Guard in general.

Truer words were never spoken

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well im going to be breaking in as an OU and start doing SAR stuff.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat you haven't been an SU that long, but OU will be good. Guessing they're losing people for transfer season and want to qual people up.

All done with CDO myself-total qualified watches:4 haha. They sure got a good return on investment there!

Just sifting through grad schools now-been accepted to every one I applied for, so just time to make a decision on where I want to be for the next two years.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

More like im doing night shifts, so I may as well start doing it.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I heard a rumor that a USCG "APB" was issued relating to the death of Rob Stewart. Can someone explain to me what a USCG APB is? Also, what was it issued for(if you can tell me any details about it?)

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 12, 2017

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Whose ready for a 13% budget cut.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Whose ready for a 13% budget cut.

I picked a hell of a time to get picked up for grad school!

I at least hope our pay and BAH stay in-line with DoD...that would be a cluster if anything like that were to change.

Edit: just imagine how pissed of ADM Z must be right now.

nwin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 3, 2017

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

All the Os are going to get turned into non rates and we are going to get rolled into the navy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

All the Os are going to get turned into non rates and we are going to get rolled into the navy.

Well we can operate under the navy in times of war and one can only assume where we'll be in a year or two, so it's not exactly a stretch!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
El Maligno says he is "slightly peeved" at the budget cuts the Coast Guard is facing.

He is also unrepentant about his love for anime. (I'm not actually sure, but I'm willing to bet that's the case)

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

I picked a hell of a time to get picked up for grad school!

I at least hope our pay and BAH stay in-line with DoD...that would be a cluster if anything like that were to change.

Edit: just imagine how pissed of ADM Z must be right now.

Is the 13% cut in the proposed budget? I am in finance world, I am trying to think what will be the first things to go. Probably C schools then contractors.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Rip base ketchikan frc drydock

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My friend is shooting it out of the park

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am going to SAR School this fall, im loving pumped.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The best part of the Coast Guard losing your DD-214 is that your remaining copy is the only one that exists, the worst part is having to explain to employers that yes you served and this copy of a copy is the only copy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

When I went a year ago we got out most days around 2 and sometimes before then if scenarios were wrapped up, but I talked to an OS that went through a few months ago and they nixed it.

Decent course overall.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sister just got deployed to New Orleans for Harvey recovery. Stay safe out there Coasties.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

a friend of mine who works in sector Huston is ok. His ex-wife apartment or house was flooded (good) but his daughters lost a lot of their stuff in the flood (bad). Also a handful from here are getting sent to Texas.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Any of you fucks dealing with this hurican poo poo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I know sector key west is currently COOPing in west virginia, dunno about the rest of the florida units.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone anything on CG as enlisted on:
Warrenton, OR
Philadelphia, PA
Chesapeake, VA (lol)
DC (LOL)
Wilmington, NC
Staten Island, NY
Louisville, KY
Houston, TX (LMAO)
Woodshole, MA

I already know about:
Seattle, WA
San Diego, CA

I really want to stay in the San Francisco Bay Area, but there is only two opening in MCC West in Novato. The rest are cutters in Alameda and I really don't want to go to another cutter unless I really have to go to them.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

nwin was stationed in Woodshole and I was stationed (and still live) one town over.

The area is decent, about an hour to Boston, traffic in the summer but plenty to do if you like beaches, boating, summer poo poo. Pretty dead off season but again not so far from a major city as to be a desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

nwin was stationed in Woodshole and I was stationed (and still live) one town over.

The area is decent, about an hour to Boston, traffic in the summer but plenty to do if you like beaches, boating, summer poo poo. Pretty dead off season but again not so far from a major city as to be a desert.

Yeah as an OS you'd be stuck in woods hole. The small town around it folds up during winter.

Wilmington is awesome. Great weather, college town, beautiful beaches and the water is great and warm. I'd go back in a second.

• Locked thread