Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Y-Wings are just as fast as X-Wings. :colbert:

I hope this means we get to see Wishbones do something cool for a change.

What, explosions aren't cool enough for you? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe if you reroute all power to engines, yeah.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The trench run formation doesn't make any drat sense.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The trench run formation doesn't make any drat sense.

Yeah, other than ablative hitpoints, I never really understood how the other two fighters were supposed to cover the lead attacker if all they do is sit in tight formation. They could've at least tried decellerating to get behind the TIEs or force the TIEs to brake as well, giving the lead fighter more room.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Moral support. It's a really tough shot!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Y-wings are 80 MGLT, X-wings are 100 MGLT. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ShineDog posted:

Y-wings are 80 MGLT, X-wings are 100 MGLT. :colbert:

Not according to RotJ production materials :colbert:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They were slow in the Rogue Squadron video game, and that's the only canon that matters.
:colbert:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I LOVE the Y-Wing. You can take your fancy main character X-Wings and your flammable A-Wings ,but my heart will always belong to the closest space equivalent to an A-10 Warthog,aka the best attack plane ever made.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

DancinBrud posted:

Moral support. It's a really tough shot!

STAY ON TARGET!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Were they not designed with those huge engines to evoke stripped down hot rods? Them being slow in post ANH work is a factor of how their scenes were shot more than anything, no?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
You didn't enjoy Y-wings owning the poo poo out of a star destroyer in Rogue One? Or bombing the hell out of a space station?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They were slow in the Rogue Squadron video game, and that's the only canon that matters.

Same but the X-Wing series.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Excuse me. Did none of you see Rogue One? Where the ywings disabled the star destroyer under the command of Gold Leader?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

A10, here I always figured they were likened to F-16s. Then again the series took more cues from ww2 so A-Wings are P-51s?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

That would make the Y-Wing the Wildcat? Or the Hurricane? Something very serviceable overshadowed by something faster and flashier?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I always pictured y-wings as p-38s.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They may be slow but they can take a beating!

*dies immediately from 27 homing missiles in that horrible Sullust mission*

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

couple few y-wings and I can take out a star destroyer. Gimme a hammerhead and I can take out two and a global shield generator/gate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Burning_Monk posted:

Yeah, either P-38s or A-26s

E: B-Wings are more like A-10s.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 4, 2017

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

TheBigBad posted:

couple few y-wings and I can take out a star destroyer.

New ep makes this this seem like a habit. :black101:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doc Morbid posted:

They may be slow but they can take a beating!

*dies immediately from 27 homing missiles in that horrible Sullust mission*

I love that the "Redemption" mission in X-Wing was so hard that Lucasarts had to release a patch to make it a little easier so people could play the game, given that the mission was pretty early on in the game and it put a lot of people off from what I gather. And that Michael Stackpole wrote it in to the then canon "I, Jedi" as a bastard of a mission by putting the "Redemption Scenario" as a squad training mission that Rogue Squadron used to frustrate and test new recruits in a similar manner to Star Trek's Kobayashi Maru.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That was a pretty cool episode.

Also, MC80 get! Although it is either small or quite far off because the Quasar carrier looks huge compared to it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Those shots of the Star Destroyers getting eaten away by the nebula were gorgeous.

drunkill posted:

That was a pretty cool episode.

But Shbobdb assured us that it was going to be actively bad poo poo that no one cares about!!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Also, Ghorman Massacre reference right at the outset.

Wonder if Tarkin lands a ship on a bunch of people in this one too.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Who ever would've guessed a few months ago that we'd be seeing a lot of Dutch lately. Between this episode and Rogue One, that's two successful missions for Gold Leader.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
B Wings or GTFO. Basically they saved my rear end in X Wing Alliance. Mission too bullshit? gently caress ALL YALL Z95s! IMMA USING MISSION EDITOR AND MAKING THEM ALL B WINGS GET WRECKKKKKKKKEDD! :black101:

Goddamnit now I want to play X Wing Quartet again. I mean I do have an XP PC I turned into a 98SE just to play all those old games that hate XP and 7 after all. It's loving easier to run DOS games now than it is 9x titles!

Vvvv I already own them. Why would I rebuy games I already own? Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 4, 2017

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Dd you know they're on GOG.com?

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also on steam.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Get the GOG version though, as that's the only one to include all 3 versions (original DOS, collector's DOS, and Windows CD) of the game. Same goes for X-Wing.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Season 4 renewal just announced.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those shots of the Star Destroyers getting eaten away by the nebula were gorgeous.

Ya I want some high quality desktop wallpaper versions to replace my current one of the Star Destroyers from the little anime TIE Fighter video from a couple years ago.

AlsoRIP TIE Interceptors. :(

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burning_Monk posted:

P-38's were fast as gently caress though. faster than the P-51

But goddamn i enjoyed that episode. Mon Mothma rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's kind of amazing just how effective the single Tie Defender was. They were not even able to destroy it in the end. Just temporarily disable it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Get the GOG version though, as that's the only one to include all 3 versions (original DOS, collector's DOS, and Windows CD) of the game. Same goes for X-Wing.

Nope, not anymore. Steam got the others too.

GOG's still great though, so probably support them instead anyway.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of amazing just how effective the single Tie Defender was. They were not even able to destroy it in the end. Just temporarily disable it.

If only Vader had one at the Battle of Yavin.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I don't know, TIE Advanceds were fuckers in X-Wing.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Helps that Skerris from the Wedge episode was piloting it. The Red Baron!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But Shbobdb assured us that it was going to be actively bad poo poo that no one cares about!!

Wasn't it though? It shrinks the universe and rather than see something new and cool we just see stuff that we know happens.

People saying they shouldn't stay on Lothal because it might make the Empire look incompetent, except we already knew that the Empire was having issues with local institutions and control from Star Wars -- that's why they need the Death Star and why they removed control from the older democratic institutions and gave them to what basically amounts to satraps. More importantly, if you are worried about the Empire looking incompetent, watching a local cell struggle with the local government is a lot less incompetent than watching a rag-tag group routinely blow up Star Destroyers. Bad at governing, good at crushing people beneath their boot. Just like you'd expect from a fascist state. Now they look bad at governing and bad at crushing. That's no fun.

I did appreciate the lack of Thrawn.

If we weren't following two of the three (maybe 4) Jedi known to exist I could see a cool show about the mook's point of view to major events. That'd be pretty neat and let you do "celebrity of the week" cameos from people like Mon Mothma without shrinking the universe too much. It'd still be irksome but less so.

Plus, the Rebellion being founded is starting to feel like Peter Jackson's endings to Return of the King. Here's a founding and here's a founding and here's a founding. It's all big sweeping gestures that end up diluting each other until they all bleed together. Melodrama is fun but where is the buy in? It's become a hallmark card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I thought this episode was pretty bad, probably mostly because of how slow and tedious the space battles keep feeling to me in this show. It just felt like stuff that should've gone way faster lasting too long.

Also the more I notice how overly animated everyone is when speaking, the more it bugs me.

• Locked thread