Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

njsykora posted:

The FIA heard people saying WRC was good this year and decided that cannot be allowed because their cool new fast cars are apparently now too fast.

Given the fact that a spectator died in the first event of a new set of rules designed to make the cars faster I think "try to find stages not focused on high speeds" is a fairly restrained response from the normally knee-jerk prone FIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Still looking forward to see what these cars can do in Finland.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"The road was just straight, not dangerous, just boring. But it was like this when the FIA inspected the route."

Says it all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Given the fact that a spectator died in the first event of a new set of rules designed to make the cars faster I think "try to find stages not focused on high speeds" is a fairly restrained response from the normally knee-jerk prone FIA.

Spectator was (IIRC) standing in a marked "DO NOT STAND HERE" spot. On the outside of a corner.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Also, it was on a pretty slow piece of road, too.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
16 year old Kalle Rovanperä is running second in a Finnish Championship rally after 7 stages. 1.7 s from leader after losing 30 s to a puncture on SS3. The co-driver has to drive between the stages because Kalle doesn't yet have a driving license. He has to turn 18 until he can get one.

Live splits: http://gpspekka.kapsi.fi/rally/?id=9R17_2
GPS tracking: https://gps.tulospalvelu.fi/gps/9R17_2/
Official results: http://www.rallism.fi/content/fi/3/20238/Livetulokset.html

Edit: Live video! http://www.lansi-savo.fi/vaakunaralli

Edit2: Kalle won! His first rally in Finland. Beat 10 times Finnish Champion Juha Salo by more than a minute despite the puncture.

Incar from SS4 which he won by 15 s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9otiWfmXrQ

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 18, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Can somebody explain why these babbies all drop back in WRC as soon as the power steering breaks? If I had to pick out a single theme from the few modern rallies I've followed its that you're dead in the water as soon as the power steering breaks and I can't process why this is such a massive issue on loose surfaces. The only thing I can think of is maybe the feedback through the steering wheel fucks with people.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Very fast steering and steering geometry that makes them heavy (lots of caster, designed only to be used with power steering) would be my guess.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I think its several factors. I think that you need to drive with clenched muscles to avoid having the steering ripped from you going over rocks or bumps, which is going to ache real fast. You obviously do a lot more and more abrupt steering input than in circuit racing, and a even slightly heavy steering is going to tire you fast. Diffs loading up (active centers this year) and torque steer could also be factors i guess. I know that I can get aching arms from Dirt Rally, and that never happens in other sims. Maybe Cat Interceptor or Kaptain Ballistik can pipe in.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

1500quidporsche posted:

Can somebody explain why these babbies all drop back in WRC as soon as the power steering breaks? If I had to pick out a single theme from the few modern rallies I've followed its that you're dead in the water as soon as the power steering breaks and I can't process why this is such a massive issue on loose surfaces. The only thing I can think of is maybe the feedback through the steering wheel fucks with people.

Have you ever tried to steer a modern car with the power steering not running? Even on a loose surface it's drat near impossible with some. It depends on the failure mode too, if the pump shits itself but all the fluid stays in you're then forcing fluid around through a pump that has a massive mechanical advantage over you.

Plus as other people have said you've got suspension geometry that naturally makes steering heavier, a very fast rack, and a small-ish steering wheel instead of the ship's wheel old manual steering cars have.

Add onto that that you're now having to grip and work much harder at the wheel, while still driving over all the rocks and bumpy poo poo on the stage and your arms will start turning to jelly in short order.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The truck I'm driving at the moment doesn't have power steering. When I hop into a car with working power steering I feel like I'm going to rip the steering wheel off.

You can't possibly expect anyone to drive at the limit when the steering feel and fine control you are accustomed to in a car with working power steering fails on you. They could still drive the car fast, but they're going to lose time.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

WindyMan posted:

The truck I'm driving at the moment doesn't have power steering.

Please don't post and drive! :ohdear:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Spaced God posted:

Please don't post and drive! :ohdear:

It's no problem, it's really easy to type on my phone while dri

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

dentist toy box posted:

Everyone on the stand needed new pants after that gently caress.

Well tonight....

That's some 1994 Imola poo poo going on there this weekend.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

This may be it.

https://twitter.com/mdezthejoker13/status/833520285445918720

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Don't know if this has been covered, but it looks like all the 2017 IMSA races will now be shown live and many of them have been moved from FS2 to FS1.

Good news for them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As expected, lots of BoP changes in all the classes for the Sebring test:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138284-cadillac-dpi-slowed-with-sebring-test-bop

All the DPi's got slowed, which was expected as they will be moving to the high downforce packages that should be better than the WEC spec cars. In GTLM, BMW got boosts across the board after being the only uncompetitive car at Daytona.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

Don't know if this has been covered, but it looks like all the 2017 IMSA races will now be shown live and many of them have been moved from FS2 to FS1.

Good news for them.

I hope that's a sign that the ratings for Rolex were much higher than anticipated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WSR is apparently going to formally be a BMW factory team in BTCC this year which means gently caress yeah that livery. Also apparently a new engine.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That should just push them back to genuine title contenders too, especially with 2 recent champions on board (counting the Pirtek branded car that I assume will get equal tech).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

:siren: Racing this Weekend: :siren:
V8 Virgin Australia Supercars kick off their season at Adelaide this weekend. Practice is about to start.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Are they V6s yet?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Are they V6s yet?

I think Holden is going V6 next year, if they're still in the series.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How much longer can they keep using the commodore and falcon body shapes?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.racer.com/scca-home/item/138504-trans-am-kicks-off-2017-championship-with-75-car-field

Also this weekend is the first race in Trans Am at Sebring. There are 75 (!!!) cars in four classes. I think this might be a good year to follow the series? Coverage is on CBSSN and race replays are uploaded to YouTube.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

How much longer can they keep using the commodore and falcon body shapes?

I think this year is the last for the Falcon, I think they will be moving to a Mustang shape next year. The Commodore will look like some Opel next year.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

WindyMan posted:

There are 75 (!!!) cars in four classes.
:woop:

WindyMan posted:

Coverage is on CBSSN.
:suicide:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SVG on pole for Clipsal, early but can't think he'd be anything but a title contender this season.

McLaughlin in second for Penske-DJR is good, think he's the best young driver on the grid and could do great things with that team, potentially.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Is there any way to watch V8 Supercars in the states? I know it's been impossible to find on proper TV the last few years.

It makes it hard to keep up with the series if I can't DVR the races and watch them while stuffing my face.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They offer a streaming package of qualifying and the race for like $30/season. The video quality is kinda crap but it's not a bad deal.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Motor Trend On Demand carries the races as well, but it's on a delay.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gret posted:

They offer a streaming package of qualifying and the race for like $30/season. The video quality is kinda crap but it's not a bad deal.

Yeah Superview is probably the best way to watch it live outside Austrailia, it's $40 Austrailian which is pretty good value for the full season though I'm always sad they don't include the support races in that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Whincup is still a menace.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gret posted:

Whincup is still a menace.

God that man has become a huge hack the past few seasons. He truly has a view that he is the best driver out there, and everyone should get out of his way

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In non-hack news, the Suzuka 1000km race in Super GT is being replaced by a 10 hour endurance race. Also apparently SRO (the Blancpain GT company) are getting involved in it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

In non-hack news, the Suzuka 1000km race in Super GT is being replaced by a 10 hour endurance race. Also apparently SRO (the Blancpain GT company) are getting involved in it.

A 10 hour at Sazuka?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

You Am I posted:

God that man has become a huge hack the past few seasons. He truly has a view that he is the best driver out there, and everyone should get out of his way

He isn't even the best driver on his team anymore.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And I think that's it, suddenly he has real competition right there and he's paniced.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Aren't most 1000km races around 10hr anyway? I know Petit Le Mans was a 1000km race (or 10 hours, whichever happened first), but switched to 10 hours recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think 1000k races usually are about 6 hours, which is a pretty common endurance race time.

• Locked thread