Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I usually find a lot more silver in caves than i do out in the open. It would really help if they gave the various types of mineral nodes a different texture, so sandstone would look different from limestone etc. It took me a while to realize that there were actually different types of rocks to bash open, so I was just cracking a bunch of limestone to try and find silver.

I wish they would give gold more uses. It only seems to be used in a single recipe (advanced circuits) but it spawns in sandstone nodes along with silver, so you end up with loads of useless gold when you're just looking for more silver. I'm not even sure why there's a distinction between gold and silver for crafting purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Seriously. I was thinking "I have 6 silver and 25 gold... gently caress gold". It's definitely the wrong way 'round here.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Gold, despite being of limited use, is found in more types of outcrops than any other resource. It's one of the strangest decisions in the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Gold, despite being of limited use, is found in more types of outcrops than any other resource. It's one of the strangest decisions in the game.

I mean, it's an alien planet. It's okay for gold to not be rare on an alien planet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, it's an alien planet. It's okay for gold to not be rare on an alien planet.

I don't think gold being common is the problem at hand :v:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
I accidentally created a gold shortage using the trash can. I got tired of using a whole lockers to store it and just started trashing it, then finally late game when I needed a bunch of advanced wiring kits suddenly I couldn't find outcroppings anymore. I eventually had to roam around in the prawn looking for drillable gold, and eventually found some in a sunken thermal/crater area. By that point copper had replaced it as useless and plentiful.

I normally don't like scarcity as a game mechanic, but I enjoyed stomping around in the prawn looking for rarer materials to drill out. Finding large silver deposits in the dunes was my other favorite discovery.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Did they fix the scanner room sound bug with reapers along with this patch?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a bit weird that you specifically need silver for circuitry and you can't sub in gold.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's also just weird from a design perspective. The whole point of having different item rarities is to make it satisfying for the player to find a rare thing, and also to motivate the player to go out and explore different areas. But gold is (a) not rare at all, and (b) found exactly in the same place as silver, so at no point do you ever think "oh I better go to the whatever biome to get some gold".

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I'm enjoying the basebuilding but so far I haven't seen a compelling reason to build a base very deep underwater, yet clearly this was intended as a mechanic. Actually it looks like an optimal strategy is to put tubes with hatches all over the place. I love basebuilding but I hope they put more meat to it.
Getting to watch sea treaders plod past, or those electric eels wander around sparking up occasionally is pretty nice. In my current game I've got my base set up right outside the blood kelp entrance to the sunken river so I can watch all the wildlife in there wander.

endlessmonotony posted:

Large submarine is damage-proof for now, likely won't remain damage-proof, hopefully doing it the way they thought about - it's damage proof above a certain depth threshold.

I gotta note that this is only partially true. If you pass its depth threshold it rapidly starts to develop leaks, which can lead to it rolling over and generally being a colossal pain to repair. Thankfully it's real easy to avoid this.

Paracelsus posted:

It's especially annoying because gold is just as good a conductor as silver, if not better. Really wish they'd let us use for an alternate computer chip recipe.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I disagree. Leave everything the same bit let us use gold to gold place furniture and base sections.

The problem is from the demand side not the supply side. Gold is obviously not intended to be one of the super rare resources.

So let us bling poo poo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

InequalityGodzilla posted:

It's especially annoying because gold is just as good a conductor as silver, if not better. Really wish they'd let us use for an alternate computer chip recipe.

Well, you know how these devs and player bases can be about their "Realism". It only applies if it's a pain in the rear end, and must be avoided at all costs if it will improve QoL instead.

GlyphGryph posted:

I disagree. Leave everything the same bit let us use gold to gold place furniture and base sections.

The problem is from the demand side not the supply side. Gold is obviously not intended to be one of the super rare resources.

So let us bling poo poo.

I love this idea. It would also be a great stopgap for how unlocking home furniture can be as involved as scanning nuclear reactor plans.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I want to fabricate a giant gold chain and hang it on a Reaper's neck

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
There's a joke in the game about gold, I think when you first pick some up, about how the corporation is keeping a running total bill for all of their resources you are using to survive. They're going to account the price of whatever gold/diamonds you manage to pick up against your bill. So I suggest that this actually becomes a mechanic in the game and you can end up with the company owing you six billion spacebucks from all the useless junk you stuff your lockers full of.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

So let us bling poo poo.
Gold is very common In the game. Gold is very dense. One of the most annoying things in this game is slowly descending to lower depths when you're swimming.

The solution is clear. Solid gold ballast. Having it look like gold chains, bracelets and watches is just a happy bonus.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

The solution is clear. Solid gold ballast. Having it look like gold chains, bracelets and watches is just a happy bonus.

But not for the player. Solid gold ballast jewelry for the prawn.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

scuba school sucks posted:

There's a joke in the game about gold, I think when you first pick some up, about how the corporation is keeping a running total bill for all of their resources you are using to survive. They're going to account the price of whatever gold/diamonds you manage to pick up against your bill. So I suggest that this actually becomes a mechanic in the game and you can end up with the company owing you six billion spacebucks from all the useless junk you stuff your lockers full of.

It plays when you pick up a diamond. And since the company owns everything you harvest, they don't need to pay you for the stuff you don't use but you need to pay them for the stuff you do.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

I want to fabricate a giant gold chain and hang it on a Reaper's neck

It opens it's mouth when it attacks and has a huge gold grille that says "gently caress You"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Has anyone explored the new content? Is there anything that you can "get" like unlocking teleport pairs to speed journeys or is it just kinda neat stuff to look at right now? Last patch added 2x strength ion batteries, IRC.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Lonos Oboe posted:

It opens it's mouth when it attacks and has a huge gold grille that says "gently caress You"

I think that's a Barracuda not a Reaper.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 5, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

scuba school sucks posted:

I think that's a Barracuda not a Reaper.

Yeah, but that's a thing most muthafucka's find out a little too fuckin' late :hfive:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Bhodi posted:

I wish I could put glass on everything. Disappointed you can't put a hatch on the top/sides of a glass corridor.

The latest thing I've been doing is a 4 stack of multipurpose rooms, with the alien containments on the bottom. If you put glass windows on the sides of the bottom one and the middle, you can sort of see out and it feels really open. That makes your floor a habitat, I just wish I could make the roof be transparent as well :shobon:

I built a 4 stack multipurpose/alien containment and put windows on all 8 sides of every floor, except for the 2 entrances on the bottom. It's incredibly nice looking coming in from a distance, with the creepers growing in it and all the peepers swimming about. It was a massive hit on my quartz and lithium to build the thing and reinforce the base so it didn't collapse, though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kruller posted:

I built a 4 stack multipurpose/alien containment and put windows on all 8 sides of every floor, except for the 2 entrances on the bottom. It's incredibly nice looking coming in from a distance, with the creepers growing in it and all the peepers swimming about. It was a massive hit on my quartz and lithium to build the thing and reinforce the base so it didn't collapse, though.

One of my goals is to build a base underneath the floating island with an entrance through the middle pond, a shaft to the reef below, a ring of foundation or cooridoors around it, and multiple 3+ stacked alien containment to brighten up the place into a lightshow. And maybe some random fauna swimming around outside.

Only got to 2 of those before my game became unplayable.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Dyz posted:

One of my goals is to build a base underneath the floating island with an entrance through the middle pond, a shaft to the reef below, a ring of foundation or cooridoors around it, and multiple 3+ stacked alien containment to brighten up the place into a lightshow. And maybe some random fauna swimming around outside.

Only got to 2 of those before my game became unplayable.

Have they got 'optimization' on the roadmap at all? It chugs on my beastly machine, and the draw distance is really lovely.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Optimization is gonna be the last thing they do, which makes sense while they're still adding features. If they spent a bunch of time optimizing right now, it could all be ruined by whatever feature they add next.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Have they got 'optimization' on the roadmap at all? It chugs on my beastly machine, and the draw distance is really lovely.

While I'm optimistic they will eventually unfuck the longstanding "Sandbox game crumples under the weight of being a sandbox game" bugs that probably make up most of their legitimate negative reviews by now?

lovely Superman 64 draw distances are likely here to stay. As much because the vocal majority of their fanbase keeps bending over backwards to make up excuses for keeping it that way..

And when "Uh, realistic fog?" doesn't cut it because the gameplay area is postage stamp sized, they start suggesting "Alien cloaking device!" for why you are lucky to see a tiny blurry blob in the direction of the large islands unless you are basically already there.

And if I were a dev having troubles with draw distances in my mostly 6DoF movement game, and noticed the loud sterotypes were basically handing me reasons not to give a gently caress draw distance can be notably shorter than the range of a headlight at times? I'd sure as hell take it, and brag about how much I was sticking to my artistic immersive vision while I was at it for free PR.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 7, 2017

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

The problem really seems more serious than an optimization issue when you have games crashing, freezing, and/or dipping into single digit fps values for just about everyone after a certain exploration/hours played threshold.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

While I'm optimistic they will eventually unfuck the longstanding "Sandbox game crumples under the weight of being a sandbox game" bugs that probably make up most of their legitimate negative reviews by now?

lovely Superman 64 draw distances are likely here to stay. As much because the vocal majority of their fanbase keeps bending over backwards to make up excuses for keeping it that way..

And when "Uh, realistic fog?" doesn't cut it because the gameplay area is postage stamp sized, they start suggesting "Alien cloaking device!" for why you are lucky to see a tiny blurry blob in the direction of the large islands unless you are basically already there.

And if I were a dev having troubles with draw distances in my mostly 6DoF movement game, and noticed the loud sterotypes were basically handing me reasons not to give a gently caress draw distance can be notably shorter than the range of a headlight at times? I'd sure as hell take it, and brag about how much I was sticking to my artistic immersive vision while I was at it for free PR.

Influential forums grognards really are the worst thing. I was really encouraged by what I played of the game but stopped because the performance/draw distance issues were serious enough that I preferred to just experience everything when they were sorted out. That was eight months ago. I sort of figured some amount of visible progress would have been made on it by now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BattleHamster posted:

The problem really seems more serious than an optimization issue when you have games crashing, freezing, and/or dipping into single digit fps values for just about everyone after a certain exploration/hours played threshold.

That was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch. Is it still there?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

endlessmonotony posted:

That was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch. Is it still there?

That is, a major cause of that were broken physics objects that should be cleaned up in maps made in the latest stable version.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

That is, a major cause of that were broken physics objects that should be cleaned up in maps made in the latest stable version.

Well, "Game collapses under it's own weight" has been an issue in one way or another for ages.

The duplicate objects thing was just the latest in a long line of reasons to blame/at cause. So even if that is fixed, in itself that does not mean the overall problems are gone.

EDIT: To be fair, there have been some basic improvements over time. But the overall core issues remain, which tend to render those improvements moot.

With an unfortunate cycle of just being told "Well the roadmap says they won't do it until X date :rolleyes:" and then X date rolls around with "Oh my god, you thought they'd do it at X date? You just don't get gamedev amiright:rolleyes:". So we're at a point posts like this highlighting the wear are rather common.

Digirat posted:

I was really encouraged by what I played of the game but stopped because the performance/draw distance issues were serious enough that I preferred to just experience everything when they were sorted out. That was eight months ago.
And that's probably one of the lower passage of time realizations in such posts. Which leaves a guy wondering, how many literal years have to pass until it's no longer entitlement to ask "When fix?.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 7, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

Well, "Game collapses under it's own weight" has been an issue in one way or another for ages.

The duplicate objects thing was just the latest in a long line of reasons to blame/at cause. So even if that is fixed, in itself that does not mean the overall problems are gone.

EDIT: To be fair, there have been some basic improvements over time. But the overall core issues remain, which tend to render those improvements moot.

With an unfortunate cycle of just being told "Well the roadmap says they won't do it until X date :rolleyes:" and then X date rolls around with "Oh my god, you thought they'd do it at X date? You just don't get gamedev amiright:rolleyes:". So we're at a point posts like this highlighting the wear are rather common.

And that's probably one of the lower passage of time realizations in such posts. Which leaves a guy wondering, how many literal years have to pass until it's no longer entitlement to ask "When fix?.

edit: removing a super douchey post. It's on the roadmap (I checked after posting earlier) and hopefully it should be fixed by 1.0.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 7, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

redreader posted:

edit: removing a super douchey post. It's on the roadmap (I checked after posting earlier) and hopefully it should be fixed by 1.0.

Even with you removing it you said that it was reasonable to ask it to be fixed by 1.0.

Original 1.0 release date was planned for August 2016, the next for January 2017. So it just moves the "when fix" to "when 1.0".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

redreader posted:

I'll be optimistic and assume you thought the Roadmap dates are a good guideline still, as opposed to-

endlessmonotony posted:

Original 1.0 release date was planned for August 2016, the next for January 2017. So it just moves the "when fix" to "when 1.0".

I mean. At this point the Roadmap is best treated as nothing but a "Did we finish this part yet: Yes/No" checklist.

The general concept of fluid dates and gamedev taking more time than expected is not a bad one. The problem is the horse has traveled back in time to kill it's own grandfather, when it comes moving the dates on signifigant "We'll fix major point/launch the game/etc" quietly at the last second, so often that they become meaningless... But yet, still want us to get hyped for X date when cool thing will happen.

It would not be nearly so annoying, if they just finally declared such things "When it's done", without a date. Rather than constantly going "Uh, this time for sure! Get hype!" every time their self set due dates arrive.

Whatever your old unedited post might have been, is probably incredibly polite sunshine and rainbows compared to how the Roadmap mostly just gets treated as a get out of jail free card, and nothing else.

EDIT: This game has so much potential, it's so close to being "That perfect survival game even for people who hate survival games". That's a large part of why all the assorted flaws in dev cycle mindset and Sterotypical Sandbox Gamer mindset are so frustrating. Why hearing "But they unfucked the seaglide!" is bitterwseet, when the only reason they had to unfuck it is because their playerbase assured them it was more immesive to gently caress it, and so on.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 7, 2017

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Lol yeah I thought they were ... I was under the impression that the devs generally just released stuff one month late or so, but were updating regularly. I mean, they are like what, 85% of the way done? Hopefully they do get it fixed, but even if they don't, the game is tons of fun and I had to stop playing it this weekend because I was like 20+ hours in and didn't want to burn out "so close to release" :)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Started playing this game recently. Good graphics, no performance issues, no crashes, but I'm not sure if I can continue. Those drat reapers :x

Got a message from crew that there was supposed to be dry land a kilometer south of the crash site. I didn't get a coordinate, but I figured hey, how hard can dry land be to find in the middle of an ocean? Took my Seamoth in that direction, terrified and staying near the surface the whole way (probably a mistake - it's scarier when you can't see what's below you). Cruise around for awhile in incredibly deep water, finding no dry land, and set course for back home. This time I try moving a little deeper, hoping it will be less scary when I can see the bottom. Everything looks clear and then I see a wreck below me. Head down, carefully and nervously look around, see nothing. Get out and scan my first colossus fragment!

Then I hear a roar, almost scream in real life, lunge into the seamoth and start taking off - nope, too late, it grabs me and starts shaking me like crazy. The reaper eventually lets go and I take off, unwilling to look behind me, heading for the pod. I think I lost that one, keep going for a few minutes, and when I'm nearly back; nope, either that reaper or a new one grabs me from behind. I know the Moth wont take a second attack so I dive out and take off on the sea glide while it's distracted. I made it back, alive, but now I'm too terrified to leave the safe shallows.

Intellectually, I know dying in this game isn't really any worse than dying in Minecraft, but my heart doesn't listen. I wonder if there's any chance of convincing the devs to add a "wuss mode" with a small radar minimap for enemies.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 28, 2017

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Dying in Subnautica is actually kinder than in Minecraft because it saves your inventory when you get to your escape pod or a seabase. You only lose anything you found since the last save instead of your pockets exploding their contents all over the ground (and into lava).

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Bremen posted:

Then I hear a roar, almost scream in real life, lunge into the seamoth and start taking off - nope, too late, it grabs me and starts shaking me like crazy. The reaper eventually lets go and I take off, unwilling to look behind me, heading for the pod. I think I lost that one, keep going for a few minutes, and when I'm nearly back; nope, either that reaper or a new one grabs me from behind. I know the Moth wont take a second attack so I dive out and take off on the sea glide while it's distracted. I made it back, alive, but now I'm too terrified to leave the safe shallows.

Intellectually, I know dying in this game isn't really any worse than dying in Minecraft, but my heart doesn't listen. I wonder if there's any chance of convincing the devs to add a "wuss mode" with a small radar minimap for enemies.

This is considered an "average" or "moderate" response to the standard Subnautica stimulus. I swear to God the Reaper is gonna have more IRL kills than Pandemonium Warden.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HiKaizer posted:

Dying in Subnautica is actually kinder than in Minecraft because it saves your inventory when you get to your escape pod or a seabase. You only lose anything you found since the last save instead of your pockets exploding their contents all over the ground (and into lava).

Only the resources are actually limited instead of infinite like in Minecraft and you can't corpse run so it's significantly worse. The game should just have an autosave slot it saves in when you hit a seabase. That, or just add corpse runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Wait what resources are limited? I'm p far along and haven't uh... ever not been able to pop out for a crystal or two.