Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Synthbuttrange posted:

You should be able to just copy the contents over, unplug the old drive, and use drive manager to reassign the letters.

And the registry won't get hosed up? Cool :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For drive cloning, I've had success with http://www.disk-partition.com/ AOMEI Partition Assistant

Also, quick unrelated question: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a Samsung m.2 SATA SSD drive running the OS, and I took the mechanical drive it came with out and inserted my old Samsung 2.5" SATA SSD for storage. I have both Samsung Magician and Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed and running. Should I only use one of them? If so, which?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

For drive cloning, I've had success with http://www.disk-partition.com/ AOMEI Partition Assistant

Also, quick unrelated question: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a Samsung m.2 SATA SSD drive running the OS, and I took the mechanical drive it came with out and inserted my old Samsung 2.5" SATA SSD for storage. I have both Samsung Magician and Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed and running. Should I only use one of them? If so, which?

Samsung Magician does nothing useful by sitting in the background. Use it for updating firmware on the SSD and otherwise don't bother with it.
I don't know about Intel's thing, but it's probably also pointless.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Capn Beeb posted:

And the registry won't get hosed up? Cool :toot:

You said you're not cloning the OS drive. There is no registry info.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

td4guy posted:

You said you're not cloning the OS drive. There is no registry info.

Cool, I thought there might be problems with currently installed programs being moved to a new disc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Cool, I thought there might be problems with currently installed programs being moved to a new disc.

As long as you make sure the new one gets the same drive letter after the cloning and removing the old drive there shouldn't be any issues.

In the Disk Management console:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

nielsm posted:

As long as you make sure the new one gets the same drive letter after the cloning and removing the old drive there shouldn't be any issues.

In the Disk Management console:

Awesome, thanks :)

Edit:

Everything works and holy poo poo gently caress I know SSDs are fast, but I'm used to having one just speed up my boot time. Putting games and such on this is crazy :pcgaming:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 28, 2017

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
So, im building a computer for gaming, and I'm getting back into the swing of learning what all this poo poo means as I select parts. I'm going to go with a Samsung SSD.

Heres my question - it sounds like NVMe is something I want to go for, but I'm not quite sure what the difference between Samsung Evo and Pro is, and what the major differences are for 850, 950, and 960. Whats the deal?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

da anime bulldog posted:

So, im building a computer for gaming, and I'm getting back into the swing of learning what all this poo poo means as I select parts. I'm going to go with a Samsung SSD.

Heres my question - it sounds like NVMe is something I want to go for, but I'm not quite sure what the difference between Samsung Evo and Pro is, and what the major differences are for 850, 950, and 960. Whats the deal?

NVMe is a faster protocol and was created to work with NAND flash storage. It is far more efficient at using solid state memory than the SATA protocol and does really good when hit with a ton of concurrent requests. So, you definitely want NVMe if your stuff has support for it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

da anime bulldog posted:

The way I understand it is like this: 850 EVO, 850 PRO and 950 PRO are from the same generation. EVO is consumer class drive while PRO is always enthusiast-focused (read $$$-focused). The first two are SATA drives while 950 was Samsung's first NVME offering. 960 EVO a 960 PRO are their newest generation SSDs, the latest and greatest and both are NVME-only. If you're a regular user and don't want to overspend just for the sake of it, the 850 EVO is the current gold standard for SSD drives. If you want to get a NVME, 960 is a fine choice but it will cost you a lot more.

Basically the difference is higher speed, higher endurance (basically more writes before the drives inevitably fails) and better functioning during heavy workloads. The difference between SATA and NVME is mainly better optimization leading to higher speeds since SATA was designed for ye olde spinny HDDs while NVME is made for NAND (flash) drives that are inside all SSD drives.

Here's hoping in like 5 years SATA drives will be but a hazy memory.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

da anime bulldog posted:

The 850 is SATA-only, and can be used only in an M.2 slot that's keyed for either SATA or NVMe. Any Z270 board will have one slot that will do both, and one that's keyed specifically for NVMe. Also, using a SATA M.2 drive will disable the SATA plug that the slot is keyed to. The 850 in M.2 is an SATA drive.

As for the differences between EVO and Pro, that's easier to explain since it's the same regardless of whether you go with the 850 or 960. The EVOs use TLC NAND, while the Pros use MLC. In the case of the 960s, they're not bound by the ~550MB/sec speed limitation of the SATA III spec, so they'll be 3-5x faster on average. The Pros also carry longer warranties and have better write lifetimes due to using MLC.

And the 950 was Samsung's first retail NVMe drive and the only thing it has in common with the 850 is it says Samsung on both.

EDIT: There are *a lot* of newer NVMe drives coming out in the coming months, and Intel's Optane is due 'Soon' too, even though that'll require a 200-series chipset.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I bought a Couple MX300 recently for a server build and I'm seeing weird issues and not sure what to think.

I had it loaded up in ESXi and any time I had to do write heavy tasks to it, it would regularly "lose connection to device" and then restore it a second or the later. This gave me the impression that writes slower than they should be and were causing issues or maybe it was the SATA Controller... New controller same thing.

Loaded it into a different machine, same cable, SMART all pass, self tests all pass. Run the gnome-disk-utility from Ubuntu and benchmark it for a thousand samples and it has 275MB/s reads and and 259MB/s writes, which seems to line up with the one review I looked at. Thing is in the benchmark the writes were regularly spiking down to 225 then back up to average... The gently caress? Is this normal and some new technology? Should I be worried and return it? Is there a better way to test SSDs?

Reads appear to be just fine.

https://i.imgur.com/J6il7hg.png

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 2, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr. Crow posted:

I bought a Couple MX300 recently for a server build and I'm seeing weird issues and not sure what to think.

I assume you mean Crucial MX300.

There's a few issues here.

1. MX300 is a consumer SSD. If you're going to do something on that server which will be writing to the SSD a lot, you should use an enterprise grade SSD, not a consumer grade one. (The distinction is that enterprise SSDs are designed for both performance and endurance under heavy random write loads.)

2. That said, a MX300 should be able to do somewhere in the ballpark of 500 MB/s. You're not getting the performance you should be.

3. The particular speed you're hitting (275 MB/s) suggests you have SATA issues limiting the SATA link to SATA2 3 Gbps mode (raw throughput of 300 MB/s, real throughput a bit less than that) rather than the full speed a SATA3 drive is capable of (6 Gbps). This could be that your controller can only do 3 Gbps, or it could be a bad cable. The "loss of connection to device" stuff suggests it's a bad cable.

4. If you fix the SATA issues and still see very narrow spikes in write performance like that you shouldn't freak out about it, IMO.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's for a home server I don't expect it to ever get under that much stress.

Re: SATA I just quickly threw it in an old PC as I was more concerned with the connectivity issues VMware was reporting it's probably in a 2. I was benchmarking it mostly for easy heavy write usage to see if it would show the weird behavior. I'll try running it specifically in a 3 (assuming that old one has some).

VMWare would literally flood the log with those messages anytime I tried doing an extended write and it was definitely in SATA3 when I wasn't doing the benchmark. It's performance was significantly worse but maybe it was using a timeout or something before checking it again every time.

Mostly I'm just curious what the heck that is (swapped cables around and same).

And yes phone posting, swipe is making up words for me sometimes.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Are there any cons regarding getting a M.2 Sata over the regular driver SSD? It seems more efficient to just screw in a chip.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nothing major, except: it being heresy the cost / ease of removal being worse then a cabled sata drive.

You'd have to remove the m2 sata drive if you ever wanted to add a significantly faster nvme drive instead, unless you have multiple ports.

Sata ports (the conventional ones) aren't going to go away for a long while. So a cabled sata drive might be easier to reuse in the future, if you ever wanted to put it into a different system.

It's no big deal but I only see drawbacks. I'd fit an nvme drive, or a plain cabled sata drive personally.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 2, 2017

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Nothing major, except: it being heresy the cost / ease of removal being worse then a cabled sata drive.

You'd have to remove the m2 sata drive if you ever wanted to add a significantly faster nvme drive instead, unless you have multiple ports.

Sata ports (the conventional ones) aren't going to go away for a long while. So a cabled sata drive might be easier to reuse in the future, if you ever wanted to put it into a different system.

It's no big deal but I only see drawbacks. I'd fit an nvme drive, or a plain cabled sata drive personally.

The price is pretty much the same, but I see they don't really have any kind of cooling which might be risky.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Only the NVMe drives have issues with heat, and the 2.5" SATA drives rarely have airflow going over them and still run at ~28-30C. Hell, my Intel 730 and 840 EVO are running at 28C and 26C respectively, and they're currently residing in a drive cage completely devoid of any airflow in the underside area of my Air 540 case. My 2TB WD drive is in the upper part of the case housed in an area containing seven 140mm fans and it's running 33C (albeit none pointed directly *at* it). Go figure.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only the NVMe drives have issues with heat, and the 2.5" SATA drives rarely have airflow going over them and still run at ~28-30C. Hell, my Intel 730 and 840 EVO are running at 28C and 26C respectively, and they're currently residing in a drive cage completely devoid of any airflow in the underside area of my Air 540 case. My 2TB WD drive is in the upper part of the case housed in an area containing seven 140mm fans and it's running 33C (albeit none pointed directly *at* it). Go figure.

Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking about M.2 SATA version of the 850 EVO.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

von Braun posted:

Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking about M.2 SATA version of the 850 EVO.

Yeah - that's the point I was trying to make, the M.2 850 EVO is effectively the same as the 2.5" SATA when it comes to heat - only NVMe drives benefit from supplemental cooling - it's why *most* laptops with M.2 slots are using SATA drives and not NVMe except on the highest-cost SKUs. Again, though - if you use an SATA M.2 drive, it'll deactivate the SATA port the slot is linked to, so for all intents and purposes you're better off using an SATA port and using an NVMe drive in the M.2 port (which won't deactivate any SATA ports because you wouldn't be using the SATA interface).

This is also why whenever you plug an M.2 SSD into PC Part Picker it throws all sorts of ~incompatibilities~ at you, because it has to assume you're going to try and plug some SATA device into the deactivated port.

If all of this sounds confusing, you're not alone, and it's a large factor in why M.2 isn't as widely-adopted yet as it otherwise might be.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Basically, one SARA "channel" can be used by either plug A or plug B. If you use SATA on plug B then plug A won't work. You can use NVME on plug B, though, and still use plug A, but you can't use NVME on plug A.

I need ms paint.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah - that's the point I was trying to make, the M.2 850 EVO is effectively the same as the 2.5" SATA when it comes to heat - only NVMe drives benefit from supplemental cooling - it's why *most* laptops with M.2 slots are using SATA drives and not NVMe except on the highest-cost SKUs. Again, though - if you use an SATA M.2 drive, it'll deactivate the SATA port the slot is linked to, so for all intents and purposes you're better off using an SATA port and using an NVMe drive in the M.2 port (which won't deactivate any SATA ports because you wouldn't be using the SATA interface).

This is also why whenever you plug an M.2 SSD into PC Part Picker it throws all sorts of ~incompatibilities~ at you, because it has to assume you're going to try and plug some SATA device into the deactivated port.

If all of this sounds confusing, you're not alone, and it's a large factor in why M.2 isn't as widely-adopted yet as it otherwise might be.

I think I have wrapped my head around it now, thanks. :) I was eyeing a Samsung NVME 256gb but it's out of stock everywhere in my country and I don't think I can rationalize the price point for my use at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Basically, one SARA "channel" can be used by either plug A or plug B. If you use SATA on plug B then plug A won't work. You can use NVME on plug B, though, and still use plug A, but you can't use NVME on plug A.

I need ms paint.

Actually...the newer Z270 boards generally have two M.2 slots. One is keyed for SATA *or* NVMe, and the other is keyed solely for NVMe. If you use NVMe drives in both slots, all SATA ports are still live and usable because they use the HSIO lanes, which work independent of the PCIe lanes. You only lose SATA_0 or SATA_1 (depending on how your board's maker labels them) if you use an SATA M.2 drive in the dual-capable slot.

If the Samsung 256GB (which would be a 960 Pro and hence more expensive than the EVO) is too expensive, look into an Intel 600p 512GB for a boot drive and an M.2 850 for storage - at the very least, going with an NVMe/SATA split you'll always have full speed SATA transfers between the two.

Also, if you're putting an NVMe drive into an older board like the Z97, you're only going to get 10Mbit out of the slot anyway, so there's no reason to overbuy, and the Intel 600p is a good choice.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 2, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

M.2 SATA adapters are cheap. You could just move it to a SATA port in the future if you needed.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Seems like unnecessary hassle to me. I was also deciding between SATA and NVMe for my ITX board with only one M.2 slot and ended up getting the NVMe because :effort:.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don Lapre posted:

M.2 SATA adapters are cheap. You could just move it to a SATA port in the future if you needed.

That's good to know, thanks.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
$169 - Crucial MX300 750GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT750MX300SSD1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUNLMUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QRQUybKZK8PJN

You'll need to select Amazon as the seller to get the $169 price. It's currently out of stock and won't ship until mid-March.

Anyone have any experience as to whether this drive is worth it? I know Crucial has been accused of not honoring warrantees in the past.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's an okay drive. Obviously not as fast as an EVO or something but it's cheap.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I've been waiting for those to drop back to sensible money ever since black friday. Hope this is a good sign

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
Wait wait, whoa, we have to cool an NVMe SSD? Those things don't come with fans - how are you supposed to do that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

da anime bulldog posted:

Wait wait, whoa, we have to cool an NVMe SSD? Those things don't come with fans - how are you supposed to do that?

They don't *need* to be cooled - they self-throttle when they get too hot, and they only get too hot when they're working at full load for a sustained period of time. Normal airflow over the motherboard does a decent enough job for most of them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Lots of board put them right under a GPU though

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Yeah mines got the slot slap bang between the cpu and gpu. Shame, just spotted a 256gb of Samsung SM961 for 100 pounds. It's probably worth waiting a year or something till they sort out the heat and whatever issues and there's a use for nvme in gaming pcs right

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've used a 960 Evo on a Z97i where it was mounted under the GPU and it never throttled except when I benchmarked the hell out of it trying to force it to throttle. On the 950 and 960s you have to read at their full rated speed for something like 2 minutes to trigger it. I don't know that I could go back to a non-NVMe drive - so drat fast.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
A few years ago a friend gave me a spare Crucial M4 128GB SSD that I've been using, but I'm a turbo nerd and I'm tired of having to move games around to get decent load times. I'm cheap so I'd like to just move up to a 250 GB Samsung 850, but I can't decide between the EVO and the Pro. I'd be using it daily for gaming, but does that warrant the extra 40 dollar bump to the pro?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Halman posted:

A few years ago a friend gave me a spare Crucial M4 128GB SSD that I've been using, but I'm a turbo nerd and I'm tired of having to move games around to get decent load times. I'm cheap so I'd like to just move up to a 250 GB Samsung 850, but I can't decide between the EVO and the Pro. I'd be using it daily for gaming, but does that warrant the extra 40 dollar bump to the pro?

The designation "Pro" isn't just marketing, there's nothing to gain from it if you aren't literally using it for professional grade heavy workloads. Things like scratch disk for 4K video editing or scientific data processing, where large amounts of data will constantly get written and re-written.

Mainly it has better endurance, meaning the Pro would handle 10-15 years of desktop/gaming workload before failing, instead of 5 years. But in 5 years you'd be wanting to replace it anyway because of speed and capacity.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Thanks, that's what I figured but better safe than sorry.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Halman posted:

I'm cheap

quote:

I can't decide between the EVO and the Pro.
Does not compute.

Seriously did you do any research at all or even read this thread before posting in it?

I'm not sure why I'm asking when I already know

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
It's almost as if the 250 GB drives cost less than the larger capacity ones. Almost....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Other manufacturers got their poo poo a lot more together compared to a couple of years ago, making even the cheaper Samsung drive a premium option. Is what I think is being alluded to.