Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fayk posted:

Most cars only have one major issue, so for example it's entirely possible to find a viable/working car w/ just a dead battery, find another car, swap the batteries. That said, don't drive a car for the FIRST TIME with a character you really like, because misunderstanding the UI = crash
oh poo poo looking forward to this now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Oh, yeah, and on the prison escape start, it's worth mentioning that to this day most of the starts are hilariously unbalanced in terms of point costs. If it's anything like the lab start, actually surviving it requires a lot of game mechanics knowledge and/or intensely good luck.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also, to answer the books question, in the stable version and older experimentals, you could choose to just keep reading a book until you had memorized all its recipes, but that was changed a while back and is no longer the case. Any book that is yellow in your menu cannot give you more skill levels, but does have recipes you don't know.

A few recipes are automatically learned just by advancing your skills, but all others must learned from another source. Some recipes can be learned by disassembling an object and learning how to build it from scratch; otherwise, you'll need to have the recipe on hand in book form in order to make it. I believe you can still potentially end up memorizing recipes you use this way, at which point you won't need to have a recipe book on hand for that specific recipe, but in general you'll want a tile full of books on your murderchariot or a bookcase full of manuals in your workshop or whatever.

In other words, don't EVER ditch/throw away a book unless you have learned EVERY recipe from it. (Or every one you care about). One of my first 'fairly successful' playthroughs I didn't realize this until I started tossing them (after getting all the skillgains).

The biggest problem with getting into the ~vehicles game~ is that you need a number of
1) tools
2) Skills to actually let you mount (or even remove!) most things.

Removing thankfully never needs welders or anything consumable. Just a toolbox (or the tools that comprise a toolbox) and a bunch (too much) Mechanics skill.

One you have 2 mechanics skill and some tools, it's easy to progress. Getting to 2 can be a little annoying because at ~1 tyhere's like one operation you can perform on vehicles to raise it. Raising it 0->1 is as easy as using crowbars a ton, iirc.

(It's easy to raise a few points if you luck into a stethoscope somewhere)

Edit: Ah, yeah the most brutal thing about a lab start was when I started one, got all the way to the top for the first time and... hey, how am I supposed to get out?

...I didn't start at the bottom, as you might have guessed.

(At least teleporter devices offer a potential way out of this)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Fayk posted:

Edit: Ah, yeah the most brutal thing about a lab start was when I started one, got all the way to the top for the first time and... hey, how am I supposed to get out?

...I didn't start at the bottom, as you might have guessed.

(At least teleporter devices offer a potential way out of this)

Which comes back around to having intimate game knowledge. There's a handful of ways to get out of the lab start, but they largely require a good knowledge of what's actually available in labs and how to use them. The prison start's probably the same, and you probably don't want to make a lot of noise because this game's concept of a guard is brutally murderous.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The prison start isn't so bad as far as physically getting out goes (although you might have to craft yourself improvised lockpicks just to be able to get through some of the doors). The main problem is the SMG armed security bot outside the front door. Even though inside the prison you can generally find some good combat gear, a single burst from the bot is enough to kill you instantly.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The prison start isn't so bad as far as physically getting out goes (although you might have to craft yourself improvised lockpicks just to be able to get through some of the doors). The main problem is the SMG armed security bot outside the front door. Even though inside the prison you can generally find some good combat gear, a single burst from the bot is enough to kill you instantly.

Yeah, for an apocalypse scenario where bullets are so rare that I can more readily just solve all my problems with home-crafted dynamite, it's annoying that a super armored murdermachine will:
1) die in one round rounding a corner from a random turret
2) those turrets somehow never ran out of ammo (previously)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have things changed re guns? Back when I last played I remember it being fairly easy to get armoured enough that smg turrets would just give you a relaxing massage.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there any way to melt scrap metal into lead again? You used to be able to do that by disassembling it, but that seems to have changed.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Have things changed re guns? Back when I last played I remember it being fairly easy to get armoured enough that smg turrets would just give you a relaxing massage.

Depends on over how long a period you're asking, but the general answer is yes, a little? It mostly happened several months ago, but armor was reduced in efficacy somewhat around the time of the encumbrance changes, so it's very slightly harder to become immune to SMG turrets. It's certainly still possible, but it's no longer as trivial as wearing unencumbering kevlar-lined underwear and socks. And of course there are significantly more powerful and exotic robotic enemies. SMGs are utterly brutal at close range with anything short of high-end endgame armor, and with their high fire-rate will shred any unarmored body parts rapidly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Cheshire Cat posted:

yeah, how do you even go about making improvised lockpicks in the dark with nothing but wood and scrap metal and the occasional pipe available? I mean I tried carrying an armload of 2x4 and pipes to the visitation windows but was too overloaded to sneak past the secbots (which aren't that bad to dodge as long as you can stay 3+ squares away - but they're always looping in a tight hallway so it may take a few death runs just to move them a little)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the prison break wouldn't be so bad if there were a better way to get string. or thread, since you can make string from thread. if you can figure out a Homewrecker you can bash your way out through a wall last i tried. the issue is you need thread to create a cutting tool (a stone knife) which would then allow you to get rags from your kills, which you could then turn into more thread, which would then get you string.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Coolguye posted:

the prison break wouldn't be so bad if there were a better way to get string. or thread, since you can make string from thread. if you can figure out a Homewrecker you can bash your way out through a wall last i tried. the issue is you need thread to create a cutting tool (a stone knife) which would then allow you to get rags from your kills, which you could then turn into more thread, which would then get you string.
isn't the glass shiv a cutting tool? I'm mainly stuck on finding some kind of hammer

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

coyo7e posted:

isn't the glass shiv a cutting tool? I'm mainly stuck on finding some kind of hammer

nope. it's a bad butchering tool, it does not have cutting.

lumps of steel count as hammers. bash the lockers the guards are using to store clothing and stuff.

the normal way to obtain cutting from the get go is to craft a 'stone knife', which accepts porcelain shards inputs. hammer tool (lump of steel), plus wood (2x4 works) plus cutting edge (porcelain, bash a toilet or sink), plus thread gets you what you need...but only if you have 20 thread. which you can disassemble a rag for...but you need a cutting tool to obtain a rag.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 4, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As a note about fires I believe last time I played you couldn't actually burn logs.

Like, you could create burnt logs which are just logs with a bit of fire damage, same as anything will get a prefix based on how damaged it is, but you couldn't actually burn a log for fuel longer than a few moments. Unless possibly you needed some atomic level murderfire to do that. Which i don't get at all, you can totally burn logs in a moderately sized campfire.

Coolguye posted:

nope. it's a bad butchering tool, it does not have cutting.

lumps of steel count as hammers. bash the lockers the guards are using to store clothing and stuff.

the normal way to obtain cutting from the get go is to craft a 'stone knife', which accepts porcelain shards inputs. hammer tool (lump of steel), plus wood (2x4 works) plus cutting edge (porcelain, bash a toilet or sink), plus thread gets you what you need...but only if you have 20 thread. which you can disassemble a rag for...but you need a cutting tool to obtain a rag.

I think you can actually rip t shirts into rags by disassembling them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You can also disassemble a mop into rags, string, and a stick.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If there are mattresses you can bash them for rags

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think you can actually rip t shirts into rags by disassembling them.
just tried, nope

Telsa Cola posted:

If there are mattresses you can bash them for rags

THIS, however, is useful as you spawn with general access to a bed. if you head south from your spawn point and go up the stairs, you enter a library area. west of there through a door you run into an area with a bed and some lockers.

catch however is that you apparently can't disassemble a rag without a cutting tool FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

As a note about fires I believe last time I played you couldn't actually burn logs.

My completely unscientific testing is that logs burn as long as other stuff that is more easily burnable is in there too. A log by itself will burn for a turn or two, but if you shove some 2x4s in there, the 2x4s and log will burn for longer than the 2x4s would have on their own.

E: This is in a wood stove, IDK if it's different in a brazier or on open ground.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Can you not get some scrap metal and hammer it into a spike then use that plus rags for a makeshift knife?

You mention lockers, you totally should be able to if you bash them apart and use the chunks to hammer another chunk into a spike and then use a rag to make a knife.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

mmm, the makeshift knife is a good idea. eliminates the need for string to start with. light is still a factor though.

so let's take this from the top, since i feel like it's getting unclear what exactly the constraints are.

the overall goal is to start the game under the Prison Break scenario, and RELIABLY escape the prison in one piece. the basic situation:

- you start underground, near the mess hall. this means no light, which must be solved prior to basically any crafting.
- it is theoretically possible to bash through simple wooden doors on your way out, but it is guarded by SMG-wielding security bots and stationary SMG turrets. both of these are more than capable of one-rounding you to death.
- you start with pants, a shirt, and a glass shiv
- it is trivially possible to obtain a 2x4 by bashing a nearby chair.
- zombies, zombie cops, and the occasional zombie brute are nearby. convicts MUST start with 1 rank in melee so none of these are a serious threat with a 2x4 in hand.

from your spawning point, and using only your early 2x4, it is possible to access the following resources:
- the mess hall, which means refridgerators, sinks, and ovens
- the pantry, for some amount of food
- the guard locker room, for some amount of clothing and maybe a tonfa. this provides sinks, lockers, and toilets.
- the library, for books and more wood
- a tiny, 1-bed infirmary, which gives a bed (bashable for rags) and lockers containing prescription meds
- the access corridor to the main hallway out (patrolled by SMG sec robots)
- the cell block lobby (nothing useful)

the rest of the prison is blocked off by iron bars, which pipes cannot bash open with 14 str.

these are the basics of the scenario. i have regenerated the world every time i have tried and failed to get this done and these have been constants every time.

my current thought is to attempt to assemble a homewrecker and bash my way out. i have time on my side (the mess provides at least one day life support) so it's okay if i painstakingly bash my way through walls and wait my stamina back.

to make a homewrecker:

Skill used: fabrication
Required skills: N/A
Difficulty: 0
Time to complete: 5 minutes
Components required:
> 8x long string
> 4x chunk of steel
> 1x heavy stick OR 1x two by four OR 1x mop OR 1x broom

the steel and wood are covered. bashing lockers will get the requisite steel. the issue is the string, and the light.

the string can be assembled from thread, like so:
Skill used:
Difficulty: 0
Components required:
> 6x small string OR 300x thread OR 300x sinew OR 300x plant fiber

the thread can be obtained from the rags from the bed...IF one can secure Cutting quality. the makeshift knife works for this though, as long as we can figure out the light. cop zombies will rarely drop a lighter but it is by no means guaranteed. ovens provide a simple way to contain the fire so that's sorted. the simplest tool to start a fire is a fire drill:

Skill used: survival
Difficulty: 2
Tools required:
> 1 tool with cutting quality of 1
Components required:
> 2x heavy stick OR 1x two by four
> 1x skewer
> 3x small string

which requires cutting. difficulty 2 also requires you to burn a point in survival at chargen, but if that gets it done then that's no big deal. the problem is that it doesn't actually get it done.

e: worth noting that zombie cops can drop flashlights, but again, not even a little guaranteed.

ee: ugh, just double checked, and you cannot make a fire drill in darkness to begin with, so that doesn't help. light might be the blocker here, i have no idea how to get enough light to craft by.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 4, 2017

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
drat, you aren't kidding about prison starts being rough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SAFE

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Lava is perfectly impassive and non-hostile.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cool has it right, and he is also massively downplaying the scary danger level of the stuff in prison too.. I see basically 2/3 tough/brute and usually guards might have a helmet or belt. It's a fun scenario but I feel like it's one I gotta replay 30 times to get a sec bot to move out of the way

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

girth brooks part 2 posted:

drat, you aren't kidding about prison starts being rough.

You solved the lighting issue!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Cool has it right, and he is also massively downplaying the scary danger level of the stuff in prison too.. I see basically 2/3 tough/brute and usually guards might have a helmet or belt. It's a fun scenario but I feel like it's one I gotta replay 30 times to get a sec bot to move out of the way

i haven't had too much of a problem with the zombies. grab a 2x4 immediately and make sure you have 14 str/dex, you'll be fine. brutes are your big threat, but when you see them, return to the meal hall where they can launch you without you slamming into a concrete wall. or, worst case, set yourself up so there's a locker or bookcase behind you - something that will crumple! the impact into something hard is what does the 60+ damage you get from the slam, the slam itself does only as much damage as a normal punch and getting booted int something that crumples will do ~20 damage. after they've burned their slam (it's on a cooldown) they're just any other zombie with more health.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 4, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Most of the zombies in prisons aren't actually that dangerous (The guards might have armour but they're just standard zombies), but yeah you have to watch out for the brutes since not only will they pulverize you, but they can actually bash through the metal bars to reach you while the regular zombies can't. You generally want to avoid the cell blocks since there's nothing really of value in there and that's where most of the tougher zombies are likely to show up.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
jesus christ, 14 str 14 dex? wtf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Don't skip leg or arm day in the slammer.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Most people raise the starting points and how many traits you can select for extra points.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Drake_263 posted:

The latter is a FNAF reference somebody coded in because of loving course they did. You can get rid of them by picking No Animatronic Monsters from the mod list while you're generating your world. Probably want to consider the No Joke Monsters pick, too, because the 'joke' reference stuff tends to be stupidly OP.

Joke monsters are the worst. I remember picking the game up after they had been introduced and getting wrecked by triller zombies. Michael Jackson dancing zombies that could revive iirc and wrecked my poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

coyo7e posted:

for reference, here is (most of) my build

there's a few traits on there that aren't shown, but it is dumb crap like addictive personality and weak stomach, which is only relevant when you're doing drugs (which i have never found a real use for) or eating poo poo you shouldn't be in the first place.

e: and this is using the multiple pools setup; i have 12 points of both disadvantages and advantages. full list of traits:

disadvantages:
- addictive personality
- animal discord
- forgetful
- heavy sleeper
- poor hearing
- strong scent
- thin skinned
- trigger happy

if you consider using forgetful a cheat since skill rust is so lame it starts at off, just take any combination of truth teller/ugly/weak stomach/squeamish/lightweight instead.

advantages:
- fast learner
- night vision
- parkour expert
- quick
- psychopath (locked by background)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 5, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Coolguye posted:

- psychopath (locked by background)

wait so all prisoners are by definition happy to murder children without morale penalties?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wait so all prisoners are by definition happy to murder children without morale penalties?

yep. or eat human meat. no such thing as an innocent inmate in DDA.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Is there anything with cutting in the prison? Or is there a way to disassemble clothing without cutting? I managed to get past the brutes and secbots into an interrogation room with a window to outside so I had light to craft and everything I needed, except something to cut the clothing up to actually make a homewrecker.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

Is there anything with cutting in the prison? Or is there a way to disassemble clothing without cutting? I managed to get past the brutes and secbots into an interrogation room with a window to outside so I had light to craft and everything I needed, except something to cut the clothing up to actually make a homewrecker.

if you can craft, make a makeshift knife. it requires a spike (which you can make from a couple of steel lumps) and a rag (which you can get from bashing the infirmary bed near where you start)

if you forgot to pick those things up then uh lol sorry

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

That's alright, my 50th character in the same prison just picked up a pair of scissors off a dead brute. Now to die another 8000 times getting them past the secbot.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I assume the window itself was barred?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Accidentally fired my brand new fusion blaster rifle inside my workshop, I'm ok but it burnt all my books so I wish I was dead now! I was not expecting the explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, my first real test-case for the fusion blaster ended similarly (and more lethally), given I didn't quite grasp the idea that something called a 'fusion blaster' might have a minimum safe range requirement and might be a poor choice for subterranean combat. I mean, I know some newer players try to avoid spoilers, but it shouldn't be a big surprise that something that sounds hideously dangerous might actually be hideously dangerous, and therefor accordingly awesome.

Books are replaceable at least, even if it's annoying. If there's anything truly difficult to replace that was lost in the blast, you can always just assign a debug menu hotkey in your options and use the cheat menu to give yourself copies of the lost items (I ASSUME that's still an option anyways, I haven't gone digging for it in the latest experimental). It's not as though Cataclysm is a competitive leaderboard game or anything, and simply having to remake/reorganize the items seems more than annoying enough.

Also, to be sure, have you tilled through the rubble/ash with a shovel yet? Items will sometimes survive that sort of circumstance, although it is quite rare.