Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's, uh, not an urban legend. At Auschwitz, new arrivals would be split into two groups-healthy young-to-middle aged men and women, and children, the elderly, the sick, and the frail. Those capable of work were sent to be worked to death at adjacent camps, while everyone else would be routed to the 'showers'. And because they were new arrivals, they wouldn't know that nobody came back.

They didn't start "selection" until a year after the camp opened, and even then many of them were just shot before being transported to the crematoria. Some of the camp guards remember telling the victims they were to be deloused, but many of the survivors also report knowing that the people "selected" were going to be killed. No one was being fooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
just saw it, pretty effective movie even if it was 90% buildup. I guess what's "refreshing" to most people is less "horror movie where racism is the monster" so much as "horror movie where most of it is tension"

I was just saying to my friend it could just as easily be about anyone without the racial component, but it would lose a lot of the creepy subtext.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

They didn't start "selection" until a year after the camp opened, and even then many of them were just shot before being transported to the crematoria. Some of the camp guards remember telling the victims they were to be deloused, but many of the survivors also report knowing that the people "selected" were going to be killed. No one was being fooled.

Yeah, from accounts I've read, everyone was in on "the joke" and played along or being willfully delusional.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"add tactical realism to the Holocaust"

well yeah it's little details like that that let people believe that your story really happened

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
How widespread is that weird pendulum metaphor the one guy used at the party? My brother once had an idiot for a teacher who used it in a slightly different context as "now the pendulum is swinging back and white people are being oppressed!", but I haven't run into it myself. It's really interesting to me. For one thing it's obviously bullshit, because when was the last time it supposedly swung in the direction of white oppression? But also, it implies that either civil rights and equality are a zero sum game where one group attaining civil rights necessarily results in those same rights being lost for another group (which is definitely a weird belief people seem to have), or it implies an even weirder scenario where it swings back and forth with diminishing oppression until it reaches equilibrium and you get real equality.

I feel like Peele must have run into it himself.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's not uncommon, and it is never intended to imply the latter

the idea, broadly, that society is a power struggle between opposed factions seeking to cement their own interests at others' expense is pretty popular (not just in the US), and specifically applied to race and that white folks are on the tail end of their golden age of dominance before being overthrown it's a cornerstone of white supremacist thinking

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm a historian and I would say that I encounter that idea often when I talk about my field with people. They're convinced that society works as a pendulum. It's usually applied to political shifts because a surface reading of presidential elections can support the idea that factions just keep tossing power back and forth. It's utter nonsense, just like narratives of unilinear progress, used to keep power in the hands of the entrenched elite.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What's also weird about the pendulum idea is that it seems to silently acknowledge white guilt, but instead emboldens the hatred and behavior instead of humbling it.

"White people have been on top by loving other races over, and soon they'll fight back to take over."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

How widespread is that weird pendulum metaphor the one guy used at the party? My brother once had an idiot for a teacher who used it in a slightly different context as "now the pendulum is swinging back and white people are being oppressed!", but I haven't run into it myself. It's really interesting to me. For one thing it's obviously bullshit, because when was the last time it supposedly swung in the direction of white oppression? But also, it implies that either civil rights and equality are a zero sum game where one group attaining civil rights necessarily results in those same rights being lost for another group (which is definitely a weird belief people seem to have), or it implies an even weirder scenario where it swings back and forth with diminishing oppression until it reaches equilibrium and you get real equality.

I feel like Peele must have run into it himself.

Well, theoretically racists could use the Barbary pirates (and the Viking pirates too, to be fair, white-on-white enslavement) as an example of the theoretical "pendulum" in action but most of them are too historically ignorant to even know what a Barbary pirate is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/837764902798315520

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've been wondering, am I missing some meaning in the title? Or is "Get Out" just a standard horror-sounding name.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

I've been wondering, am I missing some meaning in the title? Or is "Get Out" just a standard horror-sounding name.

He needs to get out of the situation or get out of the Sunken Place.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
and also Andre tells him to get out at the party

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Or even a reference to white people telling black people to Get Out, like segregation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Holy poo poo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Who the hell sits in a chair like that?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"Get out!" says the flabbergasted youngsters upon hearing the plot details

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
So whenever he hears a spoon clinking against a cup in the future will he just fall over? Sounds kinda dangerous...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

InFlames235 posted:

So whenever he hears a spoon clinking against a cup in the future will he just fall over? Sounds kinda dangerous...

Post-hypnotic suggestions and triggers wear off over time if they aren't reinforced.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
:getout:

:frogout:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MacheteZombie posted:

"Get out!" says the flabbergasted youngsters upon hearing the plot details

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

This movie was 90% buildup but holy gently caress did it deliver in the last half hour. I've never watched a movie with the audience so engaged at the end.

Also, the ending was perfect. I read the script about a month ago and the ending in that was much darker and downright depressing. Very happy that they went another route.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ty1990 posted:

Also, the ending was perfect. I read the script about a month ago and the ending in that was much darker and downright depressing. Very happy that they went another route.

could you spoil it for me, i'm curious

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

could you spoil it for me, i'm curious

Long story short: cops show up and arrest Chris for murdering the white family. Last scene is Rod visiting him in prison.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ty1990 posted:

Long story short: cops show up and arrest Chris for murdering the white family. Last scene is Rod visiting him in prison.

As soon as I saw the police lights I 100% thought that was where it was going (either that or he gets shot on sight). I definitely think the happy ending works much better, when I saw it everyone left the theater super enthusiastic about the experience.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I thought this was alright. The pacing felt off, hypnosis is almost as bad as time travel for how it works in all movies and this one in particular, and the ultimate reveal just didn't come together for me. On the plus side the ending scenes and the violence in them was surprisingly well done considering how little of it was in the film, and the comedy was top notch.

I don't think the racism angle went anywhere interesting, it felt off because certain characters, namely the brother, felt like a white supremacist, while others were closer to suburban liberals, I would have liked to have delved a bit more into that since for a Guess Who's Coming to Dinner remake it doesn't seem to have anything to say about it.

I also thought the main character and his girlfriend were underdeveloped and her abrupt change didn't work for me. It would have been nice if they had thrown in one or two clues or breaks in the facade instead of making her some kind of a long con genius.

It's a little too well thought out and executed to just be mindless horror movie fun, but not clever enough to tie all its elements together in a satisfying way. I feel like it won't hold up to time or repeated viewings, but I got to see it in a very raucous theatre which is how horror movies are best watched and this one in particular feels like benefits from that atmosphere.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Marketing New Brain posted:

namely the brother, felt like a white supremacist, while others were closer to suburban liberals

that...that was the point.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

her abrupt change didn't work for me. It would have been nice if they had thrown in one or two clues or breaks in the facade instead of making her some kind of a long con genius.
I know, right? It's almost as if she had done it dozens of times before or something???

:v:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 5, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how he says it won't hold up on repeated viewings when it seems like he needs em.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Chris' line about being uncomfortable around too many white people hit way too close to home. The scene where he's interacting with the old folks and every comment gets worse was like something I've lived way too often.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Just got done watching this movie with my white girlfriend... it had me feeling just a little bit paranoid about our relationship! :ohdear:

I really liked how it took time for me to unpack the whole thing the realization that the granddad never getting over his Olympic loss was what started the whole scheme blew my mind.

Also the subtle touch of the brain swapped dudes ear tattoo, when I noticed it I assumed it was some kind of brand since it was the roman numeral for three assume that was partly intentional, because at that point I was firmly in the "they're sex slaves!" camp.

I never trusted the girlfriend, because I figured there was no believable way she wasn't in on it. Ironically, I only thought she might have been brainwashed when she was scrambling to find the keys. Until then I had assumed she was a honeypot. William's acting skills are loving good!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it. I figured out the plot pretty early so no huge surprises, but that doesn't really matter. I did hope there was something more sinister going on but I can't think of what that would be so I can't really fault the film for going where it did. The maid was the most terrifying character I've seen in a movie ever I think. I felt really uneasy every time she was on-screen. Fantastic acting.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

HellCopter posted:

My first thought was that it was referencing Eddie Murphy's bit about how he would never be stuck in an Amityville Horror type situation. The "Get out" line is near the end:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azCCWPcjkJo :nws:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Watched this movie earlier today, it was just as great as everybody said it was.

But one thing hit me just now, Stephen Root's character is going to wake up from anesthesia in pain and still totally blind and have no loving idea what happened. And the top of his skull will still be off, hell he might not even realize it unless he put his hand up and felt his brain.

I mean he was in on it so he's just as culpable, still pretty hosed up.

vv Ah okay, probably for the best really.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 6, 2017

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Remember that some candles were knocked over during one of the fights and you can see a fire starting up afterwards. I don't think he'll be waking up.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I also thought the main character and his girlfriend were underdeveloped and her abrupt change didn't work for me. It would have been nice if they had thrown in one or two clues or breaks in the facade instead of making her some kind of a long con genius.

Recall the scene with the cop asking for ID

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Saw it today finally, the theater was jam-packed. I can see why it's gotten so much positive talk.

I liked that once Chris got free, the deaths all went along at a steady clip. No drawn out fights/cat and mouse. And when he killed the mother, I loved just how done he was with the whole situation.

'Exposition-dump TV' didn't even really bother me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This thread makes me feel smart because I guessed that Rose was in on it by the time the barbecue rolled around. It didn't need clues--common sense would suggest that she is, since obviously Chris isn't the family's first victim. In fact I thought it was really weird that Chris was expecting her to give him the keys and leave with him considering the shoebox told him everything he needed to know about her.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love the word choices Grandpa Brainchanger uses during the Welcome To Brain Scooping video. The thing that you bring to the table are the physical gifts (as in nothing you actually earned) you have, what we bring to the table is determination (specifically, the drive to earn things). It's a line as racist as it is one of ignorant privilege: if I succeeded it's because of something I did, if you succeeded it was because of luck or something you were born with.

if Grandpa Brainchanger were to describe his story, he worked hard to be an Olympic runner, when some random black dude with abilities he just stumbled into having beat him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

It took me second, but when I realized it-

"Hey, you got killed by a Merman last time!"

• Locked thread