Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm okay with starting from zero, but i almost rather they not give it more then the bare minimum justification. the more complex the explanation, the more questions it begs

i wonder if the soulbound weapon mechanic will make a return or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

i'm okay with starting from zero, but i almost rather they not give it more then the bare minimum justification. the more complex the explanation, the more questions it begs

They've said that soulbound items will make a return, yes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fan favourite? Looks like the Disappointer will make its glorious return. :getin:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I honestly don't care about items carrying over, but all the pets I adopted in PoE need to make it into the sequel. This is non-negotiable. :colbert:

Avalerion posted:

Levels are always going to be a problem for a mostly non linear rpg, unless you do level scaling which people seem to hate even more.
My problem right now is also that I have a fairly good order of quests/areas figured out for playthroughs with level-scaled WM1 but I went there early this time to pick up Zahua and Maneha as soon as possible. Now the best I can do is pick which parts of WM1 and Act 2 I want to trivialize.

Dick Burglar posted:

Druid shapeshifts are complete garbage in BG games, though?
Eh, just play a Totemic Druid instead.
The wolves must have their revenge.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AriadneThread posted:

I just thought "everything got destroyed" was explanation enough

If Eder's Saint's War armor comes back, I durganized it

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just thought "everything got destroyed" was explanation enough

If Eder's Saint's War armor comes back, I durganized it

yeah, i was responding to the thing about the treasury being spent to buy the boat

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, i was responding to the thing about the treasury being spent to buy the boat

Right right just agreein'

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The "treasury being spent to buy a ship" thing bothers me because I'm one of those insane assholes who ended PoE1 with 100k spare gold just laying around. I'd be much happier if the explanation involved using funds to also fix Caed Nua, because I don't feel comfortable just leaving that huge-rear end hole of The Endless Paths and other assorted wreckage just singing to the open air.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Power Bottom posted:

The "treasury being spent to buy a ship" thing bothers me because I'm one of those insane assholes who ended PoE1 with 100k spare gold just laying around. I'd be much happier if the explanation involved using funds to also fix Caed Nua, because I don't feel comfortable just leaving that huge-rear end hole of The Endless Paths and other assorted wreckage just singing to the open air.

https://www.quora.com/Maritime-Piracy-How-much-would-it-cost-to-build-a-full-size-pirate-ship

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think it's fair to assume that some of the treasury got blasted to smithereens and she just sold whatever the saleable remainder was to get a ship.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Much of those exorbitant costs are because of lost knowledge and modernization though, which wouldn't be the case in PoE II.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Colonial Air Force posted:

Much of those exorbitant costs are because of lost knowledge and modernization though, which wouldn't be the case in PoE II.

I think it's fair to assume that lost knowledge (and dwindling lumber resources etc) is more than made up for by efficiencies from automation. Like, I'm sure that it is dramatically cheaper today to manufacture cannon, even period replica cannon, than it was then, and cannon were by far the most expensive part of a period warship.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fan favourite? Looks like the Disappointer will make its glorious return. :getin:

Whichever backer of PoE1 originally came up with that concept is a hero.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It should have had something like the unlabored blade going for it though. :(

Blood legacy question, about to decide to how deal with Harond. Don't think it gets spelled out, but is it safe to assume Aelys was an unwilling participant in his "scheme"?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

It should have had something like the unlabored blade going for it though. :(

It sortof does. You can get everything to give it basic Accuracy enchant in the first couple maps, and if you do that, you've got a magical gun for all of act 1, when guns are otherwise unavailable.

Avalerion posted:

Blood legacy question, about to decide to how deal with Harond. Don't think it gets spelled out, but is it safe to assume Aelys was an unwilling participant in his "scheme"?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the cipher options spell this out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think it's fair to assume that lost knowledge (and dwindling lumber resources etc) is more than made up for by efficiencies from automation. Like, I'm sure that it is dramatically cheaper today to manufacture cannon, even period replica cannon, than it was then, and cannon were by far the most expensive part of a period warship.

It isn't, and there are far fewer manufacturers now. The harder part is in the woodwork. There are some documentaries (mostly in French) about the building of L'Hermione recently that explain it better than I can. That cost aobut $22m I think.

HMS Victory (which is about 4 times the size of Hermione) cost £63,176 in 1765. I don't know how that money equates to PoE money, in today's terms it's about £50m, and that's cheaper than Hermione given the size difference.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Alright, that makes this easy then. :commissar:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

It isn't, and there are far fewer manufacturers now. The harder part is in the woodwork. There are some documentaries (mostly in French) about the building of L'Hermione recently that explain it better than I can. That cost aobut $22m I think.

HMS Victory (which is about 4 times the size of Hermione) cost £63,176 in 1765. I don't know how that money equates to PoE money, in today's terms it's about £50m, and that's cheaper than Hermione given the size difference.

Ok, sounds like you've actually crunched the numbers and I'm just talking out my butt here so I'll defer.

Hrm. If assume a PoE "gold piece" is roughly a pound, at the end of my last run I had something like 100k spare gold lying around, which would be, like, 1/500th the value of that 50m number, or slightly less than double that 63k period number.

We probably could calculate the estimated value of a PoE gold piece by using the item prices -- compare the cost of a suit of "Exceptional" plate armor, etc. It would be grognardy hairsplitting though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ok, sounds like you've actually crunched the numbers and I'm just talking out my butt here so I'll defer.

Hrm. If assume a PoE "gold piece" is roughly a pound, at the end of my last run I had something like 100k spare gold lying around, which would be, like, 1/500th the value of that 50m number, or slightly less than double that 63k period number.

We probably could calculate the estimated value of a PoE gold piece by using the item prices -- compare the cost of a suit of "Exceptional" plate armor, etc. It would be grognardy hairsplitting though.

Good thing the base specie in the Dyrwood and all surrounding territories is copper. :smugdog:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

Good thing the base specie in the Dyrwood and all surrounding territories is copper. :smugdog:

ziing

but actually yes because fantasy games traditionally inflate the amount of gold in the game world by ridiculous amounts even if you posit functional alchemy, dwarf mining, etc.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Listen I just want my mind control monocle to come back.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

as bespectacled american i hope poe2 features a wider variety of eyewear

you know, to wear into the middle of combat like a totally sane person

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AriadneThread posted:

as bespectacled american i hope poe2 features a wider variety of eyewear

you know, to wear into the middle of combat like a totally sane person

On a critical failure, ydwin drops her glasses and fumbles around for them like Velma

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Once you've decided not to wear a helmet, whether you're wearing glasses or not is pretty unimportant.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

it was a self-depricating joke

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And for the record, I don't actually care if "somehow" I've lost all my money, or got swindled on some ship.

I just like :spergin: about the age of sail and accounting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Steward ripped you off on the boat so she could use the extra copper to melt down and create a new moving vessel for her now that her castle is blown up.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

6cp for a Beer and 12-18 for a basic meal (Chicken or Stew), so depending on where you live in the world you could say a copper is equal to $0.5 to $1.

Some figures for the cost of food in 18th century London are around 3 pence for a meal of stew, beer and bread or 1d for a quart of beer then we have 12 pence to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound. So a £63,176 ship might be roughly equal to ((63,176*20*12)/3 = ~5.2 million meals). If we want to convert that to Dyrwood copper then maybe we say a meal is Stew (18cp) + Beer (6cp) or 24cp or 124 million copper, or if we use the chicken then 93 million copper...

In that case you could have afforded around 1/930th to 1/1240th of a boat with your spare cash...

If you use some of the other estimates of a meal in the 18th century 1 shilling for a Steakhouse meal covering food, drink and tip then (63,176x20 = 1,26 million) and convert it via Dyrwood meals then it's 20-30million copper for the Boat and you have 1/300-1/200th of the price of building that boat in your 100k copper...

So it seems reasonable that a second hand boat wiped out your treasury even after a few more years of increasing it and the steward may have been a pretty impressive bargainer.

Aeonsim fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 4, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Dick Burglar posted:

Druid shapeshifts are complete garbage in BG games, though?

Get the super over powered shapeshifter fix mod that changes the werewolf from useless to game breaking. Actually the Avenger kit's shapeshifting is useful for the first half of BG2.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Aeonsim posted:

6cp for a Beer and 12-18 for a basic meal (Chicken or Stew), so depending on where you live in the world you could say a copper is equal to $0.5 to $1.

Some figures for the cost of food in 18th century London are around 3 pence for a meal of stew, beer and bread or 1d for a quart of beer then we have 12 pence to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound. So a £63,176 ship might be roughly equal to ((63,176*20*12)/3 = ~5.2 million meals). If we want to convert that to Dyrwood copper then maybe we say a meal is Stew (18cp) + Beer (6cp) or 24cp or 124 million copper, or if we use the chicken then 93 million copper...

In that case you could have afforded around 1/930th to 1/1240th of a boat with your spare cash...

If you use some of the other estimates of a meal in the 18th century 1 shilling for a Steakhouse meal covering food, drink and tip then (63,176x20 = 1,26 million) and convert it via Dyrwood meals then it's 20-30million copper for the Boat and you have 1/300-1/200th of the price of building that boat in your 100k copper...

Nice!

Although, I doubt very much we're getting HMS Victory. I couldn't find any figures for smaller ships, but I probably have some at home. I'd wager about 1/4-1/5 the cost based on a frigate or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

It sortof does. You can get everything to give it basic Accuracy enchant in the first couple maps, and if you do that, you've got a magical gun for all of act 1, when guns are otherwise unavailable.

I got Forgiveness like ten minutes after I enchanted The Disappointer.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, by the time you meet the level requirements for enchanting The Disappointer, you can just grab that better unique with no out of pocket cost.

Added bonus is that you can then pick up a grip of (enchanted?) arquebuses from that group in Copperlane trying to avenge that Doemenel you murk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Skwirl posted:

I don't mean like enchant to fine. I mean literally by the time you first see the hanging tree you should or at least can have everything you need for "accurate 1". That's all it takes to wipe "terrible."

If you're past maerwald yeah no point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

I don't mean like enchant to fine. I mean literally by the time you first see the hanging tree you should or at least can have everything you need for "accurate 1". That's all it takes to wipe "terrible."

How do you get Xaurip tongues before the hanging tree?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Doesn't that not work anymore?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Skwirl posted:

How do you get Xaurip tongues before the hanging tree?

There are a few on that first map with the bear cave, also a xaurip in cilant list who sometimes drops one.

You might have to grab the mushrooms next to the tree but I've done this probably five or six times, it's very doable. Sometimes you have to do damaging 1 instead depending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

Doesn't that not work anymore?

I did it three weeks ago

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Nice!

Although, I doubt very much we're getting HMS Victory. I couldn't find any figures for smaller ships, but I probably have some at home. I'd wager about 1/4-1/5 the cost based on a frigate or so.

Yeah if you look at the costs of some of the smaller 50 gun ships of the line from the 18th century ( HMS Salisbury, HMS Gloucester etc) they seemed to be priced in the range of £10,000 to £16,000. Which is about a 6th the amount so that 100k copper is 1/120 or 1/30th of the cost depending on your exact set of assumptions, and those boats may well be twice the size of what the game will have...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aeonsim posted:

Yeah if you look at the costs of some of the smaller 50 gun ships of the line from the 18th century ( HMS Salisbury, HMS Gloucester etc) they seemed to be priced in the range of £10,000 to £16,000. Which is about a 6th the amount so that 100k copper is 1/120 or 1/30th of the cost depending on your exact set of assumptions, and those boats may well be twice the size of what the game will have...

Plus, presumably it's a used ship from Stan's, so we can knock some more off the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like the idea of a few items from the first game being retrievable (Stormcaller, Little Saviour, Bittercut, Sanguine Plate, Maegfolc Skull). The idea of having the disappointer as PoE's Golden Pantaloons is cool too - even the description kinda fits it:

quote:

The Disappointer was touted as a powerful, reliable weapon, but it has consistently failed every one of its unfortunate owners.

This is a terrible weapon that disappoints anyone who uses it. The gun appears well-made at first glance, but closer scrutiny reveals poor design and shoddy craftsmanship. Those who aren't fooled by its appearance still occasionally attempt to use it just to see if maybe the whole thing was made to look this way as an elaborate ruse, hoping that it is an artifact of extreme power, crafted by a master who desired to conceal its remarkable nature. It wasn't, and it isn't.

Maybe after hauling it around in your backpack for the first game and never using it it becomes soul-bound in a way.

• Locked thread